ADVERTISEMENT

Snyder got fired the year his team went to a bowl

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
and Doc only has one more conference championship in double the amount of time in a watered down conference and watered down schedules.

If Hamrick were doing his job he would dismiss Doc this week and get some new blood in the program. He won't because he is protecting his buddy and he is stubborn.''

RUINATION OF MARSHALL FOOTBALL IS ON MIKE HAMRICKS WATCH

Hamrick wont for another reason , appears this is his last rodeo , he appears to be using this job to retire from , no point in rocking the boat as well as he figures no one is going to force the issue of firing him. Not until the influential donors go to the president and lay it on the line will anything possibly take place and then it will depend on the options available. Also no other school has ask to speak to either guy in an effort to hire them away from Marshall...that is not really too good when you think of it.

Watching the same deal here in Columbia with Muschamp and Ray Tanner the AD. South Carolina claims they do not have the 19million to buy out Muschamp's contract ( the buy out Tanner drew up as well as the hire he made) People are now calling for the head of both , new school president got in the middle of things the other week and just added to the confusion when flip flopping on statements he made. So at this point nothing is happening , Muschamp is right at 500 after 4 years going 4-8 this season. Its a problem not just at Marshall for sure.

If the head man is going then the AD that brought him in needs to go as that same AD can have nothing to do with the hiring of a new football or hoops coach as the case may be pr you run the possibility of the same thing happening again. Fool me once ...you know the rest of that one.

Last edited:
Hope you are correct Banker - this would be a great way to potentially stop Hamrick from doing something idiotic like extending Holliday's contract

Hamrick wont for another reason , appears this is his last rodeo , he appears to be using this job to retire from , no point in rocking the boat as well as he figures no one is going to force the issue of firing him. Not until the influential donors go to the president and lay it on the line will anything possibly take place and then it will depend on the options available. Also no other school has ask to speak to either guy in an effort to hire them away from Marshall...that is not really too good when you think of it.

Watching the same deal here in Columbia with Muschamp and Ray Tanner the AD. South Carolina claims they do not have the 19million to buy out Muschamp's contract ( the buy out Tanner drew up as well as the hire he made) People are now calling for the head of both , new school president got in the middle of things the other week and just added to the confusion when flip flopping on statements he made. So at this point nothing is happening , Muschamp is right at 500 after 4 years going 4-8 this season. Its a problem not just at Marshall for sure.

If the head man is going then the AD that brought him in needs to go as that same AD can have nothing to do with the hiring of a new football or hoops coach as the case may be pr you run the possibility of the same thing happening again. Fool me once ...you know the rest of that one.

Muschamp should of been gone after App.

Actually, he should have never gotten the job. Killed all momentum Carolina had. Worst hire by any team I can recall, loser at a conference rival let’s give him a shot at SC where we’ve just began to taste winning.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Muschamp should of been gone after App.

Actually, he should have never gotten the job. Killed all momentum Carolina had. Worst hire by any team I can recall, loser at a conference rival let’s give him a shot at SC where we’ve just began to taste winning.

The App State game - keep in mind they had been as high as #20 prior to losing to Ga Southern , dropped out then back in after defeating South Carolina. This game did not surprise a lot of the people here that actually knew more about football than just what goes on in the SEC.

Right , he never should have been hired to begin with but the is the fault of the AD Ray Tanner who has made several other poor highers , Frank Martin ( hoops) and allowed an asst to take over the baseball team that has now tanked even with a new coach.

Spurrier quit mid season and left SC with very few recruits , it was always about Spurrier as usual.

Now SC says they do not have the 19 million to buyout Muschamps contract..no one is really believing that one. The AD has to go first as he can not fire Muschamp then be involved with hiring the next coach. It's a mess and a half aided by the newly installed president of the school trying to become involved.Additionally they go 4-8 this season with a blowout loss to Clemson this afternoon 38-3

Think our situation is a mess , this one is a serious cluster..

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
banker6796 MH should have never begin the nonsense of granting contract extensions to a coach no one else was ever going to hire. Hope what you heard is true although I can see issues with that as well down the road if we get a young firebrand coach who is doing well and is not offered a contract extension. Time will tell.

Heard something today I hadn't heard before. Apparently the Board of Governors has added a committee that must approve all contract extensions and hiring by the AD. This is a new committee, so gives me hope that some folks are getting tired of the situation.
What mike hamrick did with doc was a bad deal and bordered on abuse of power

What mike hamrick did with doc was a bad deal and bordered on abuse of power

Here's the real story from the Gazette, April 2015......

Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick and head football coach Doc Holliday have signed contract extensions that have them in Huntington into the next decade.

The deals, announced Wednesday afternoon, run through June 30, 2021. Hamrick’s extension is for $300,000 annually, a $30,000 raise, while Holliday’s extension raises him from $600,000 to $755,500 in total annual compensation.

“I think it says a lot for the administration and the university that they felt we were doing a good job and they wanted to make a commitment to us,” Hamrick, a former Marshall linebacker, said Wednesday. “And they did. They wanted to make sure the program was stabilized. They felt they wanted to make a commitment to us and I can tell you we’re both very appreciative of that.”

Marshall Interim President Gary White said the extensions show the duo’s desire to guide the athletics program into the future.

“The renewal of the contracts of Mike Hamrick and Coach Holliday is a clear indication of their commitment to Marshall’s success and growth in Division I athletics,” he said. “We are delighted we were able to successfully negotiate continuations that will keep Marshall moving forward.”

The Daily Mail reported Dec. 23 — the day of Marshall’s win over Mid-American Conference champion Northern Illinois in the Boca Raton Bowl — that Holliday and Marshall had come to a handshake deal that kept Holliday in Huntington after he received interest in the University of Pittsburgh’s open head coaching job.

“I’ve said with Marshall, other people have bigger budgets, bigger stadiums and lots of things,” Holliday said that night, “but there’s not a program in America that means more to their fan base than what Marshall does. I truly mean that.”

The university announced agreements in principle for both Hamrick and Holliday in December.

Under Holliday, Marshall’s football team finished 13-1 with its first Conference USA championship and the Boca Raton Bowl win. The Herd finished 23rd in the final Associated Press Top 25 poll and has won three bowl games in the past four seasons.

Holliday’s extension includes a base salary of $175,000, plus $330,500 for radio and television appearances, and $200,000 for appearances at Big Green Scholarship Foundation functions. It also includes up to $100,000 in incentives for conference and bowl success and an incentive for football season ticket sales.

Holliday’s buyout increased from $600,000 to $725,000 if he left for any head coaching job except for West Virginia University’s. Then the buyout jumps to $3 million.

“With the facilities we have now and the opportunity to have and keep the staff I have now, it’s just a great, great situation to work in,” Holliday said Wednesday. “Gary White, our interim president, has been very supportive, and I’m just really proud to be the coach here at Marshall.”

Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick and head football coach Doc Holliday have signed contract extensions that have them in Huntington into the next decade.

The deals, announced Wednesday afternoon, run through June 30, 2021. Hamrick’s extension is for $300,000 annually, a $30,000 raise, while Holliday’s extension raises him from $600,000 to $755,500 in total annual compensation.

“I think it says a lot for the administration and the university that they felt we were doing a good job and they wanted to make a commitment to us,” Hamrick, a former Marshall linebacker, said Wednesday. “And they did. They wanted to make sure the program was stabilized. They felt they wanted to make a commitment to us and I can tell you we’re both very appreciative of that.”

Marshall Interim President Gary White said the extensions show the duo’s desire to guide the athletics program into the future.

“The renewal of the contracts of Mike Hamrick and Coach Holliday is a clear indication of their commitment to Marshall’s success and growth in Division I athletics,” he said. “We are delighted we were able to successfully negotiate continuations that will keep Marshall moving forward.”

The Daily Mail reported Dec. 23 — the day of Marshall’s win over Mid-American Conference champion Northern Illinois in the Boca Raton Bowl — that Holliday and Marshall had come to a handshake deal that kept Holliday in Huntington after he received interest in the University of Pittsburgh’s open head coaching job.

“I’ve said with Marshall, other people have bigger budgets, bigger stadiums and lots of things,” Holliday said that night, “but there’s not a program in America that means more to their fan base than what Marshall does. I truly mean that.”

The university announced agreements in principle for both Hamrick and Holliday in December.

Under Holliday, Marshall’s football team finished 13-1 with its first Conference USA championship and the Boca Raton Bowl win. The Herd finished 23rd in the final Associated Press Top 25 poll and has won three bowl games in the past four seasons.

Holliday’s extension includes a base salary of $175,000, plus $330,500 for radio and television appearances, and $200,000 for appearances at Big Green Scholarship Foundation functions. It also includes up to $100,000 in incentives for conference and bowl success and an incentive for football season ticket sales.

Holliday’s buyout increased from $600,000 to $725,000 if he left for any head coaching job except for West Virginia University’s. Then the buyout jumps to $3 million.

“With the facilities we have now and the opportunity to have and keep the staff I have now, it’s just a great, great situation to work in,” Holliday said Wednesday. “Gary White, our interim president, has been very supportive, and I’m just really proud to be the coach here at Marshall.”

In other words,

Dear Rahkeem Cato,

THANK YOU!!

Sincerely,

John Holliday

Anybody who thinks the "ruination" of MU football happened any time other than under the incompetent, dishonest, and evil administration of The Liar KO Marcum and his idiot football (and basketball) coaches, does not know enough to be taken seriously.

MU football toady, having been rebuilt from the ruins left by Marcum/Snyder, is doing just fine, thank you very much.

What a delusional and ungrateful bunch.

^^^the irony^^^

Extra honestly your best bet is to ignore Sam. Sam is such a super fan of Marshall he liked a post above from the worst moderator and writer Herdnation has ever had bar none that basically said Pruetts success was because of cheating. So that will tell you all you need to know about Sams super fandom.

Extra honestly your best bet is to ignore Sam. Sam is such a super fan of Marshall he liked a post above from the worst moderator and writer Herdnation has ever had bar none that basically said Pruetts success was because of cheating. So that will tell you all you need to know about Sams super fandom.

True. But I couldn't pass on the irony. :)

Anybody who thinks the "ruination" of MU football happened any time other than under the incompetent, dishonest, and evil administration of The Liar KO Marcum and his idiot football (and basketball) coaches, does not know enough to be taken seriously.

MU football toady, having been rebuilt from the ruins left by Marcum/Snyder, is doing just fine, thank you very much.

What a delusional and ungrateful bunch.
Well, I wouldn't say we have completely rebuilt. More like the blocks have been laid and the house is still under construction. The basement is finished. But the top floor and roof have yet to be completed. The stairs are there but we're only half way up.

while I agree the football program is stagnate in some ways I don't think it is ruined. We have 60 wins in the past 7 years. No doubt we should have won more but not terrible either IMO.

while I agree the football program is stagnate in some ways I don't think it is ruined. We have 60 wins in the past 7 years. No doubt we should have won more but not terrible either IMO.

My issue is that I'm not willing to keep going back to the records I feel were created by a very specific, small group of players that were recruited 10 years ago to look at where the program is now. I look at body of work and realize that john hasn't been able to put an offense on the field that is in the top half of FBS in any year that Cato and Shuler weren't playing catch.

I understand that he recruited those players and give him credit for those seasons, but what it has proven is that he isn't making a difference. He's not developing players, he has to hope the ones he recruits can already do it on their own, at least on offense. I now have the additional fear that the further we get away from Heater's fingerprints on the defense, the worse it will get. You already saw a drop in the aggression level this year.

was he given an extension prior to the article and to carry him into 2021 was ridiculous and was done under an interim President.

More ludicrous. School got in a spot where they were in deep with him.

Looks like Doc and Mike Hamrick both got 5 year extensions from the University Administration after Doc went 13-1, won the Conference and Bowl, ended up 23rd in the nation and was being considered for the Pitt job.

The buyout for Doc's final year of the contract is $725,000.

Looks like Doc and Mike Hamrick both got 5 year extensions from the University Administration after Doc went 13-1, won the Conference and Bowl, ended up 23rd in the nation and was being considered for the Pitt job.

The buyout for Doc's final year of the contract is $725,000.
what i am asking wasn't there another extension to the one listed in the article. Around his 2nd or 3 year as coach. He got that extension in the article and hasn't done jack squat since.

I think the one in the article is the current contract, It expires mid 2021.

Can I get one piece of concrete evidence that said Doc was ever in serious consideration for the Pitt job outside of somebody saying something on Facebook or twitter.

Can I get one piece of concrete evidence that said Doc was ever in serious consideration for the Pitt job outside of somebody saying something on Facebook or twitter.

Charleston Gazette April 8, 2015
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sport...cle_49327af0-87f0-5296-8e59-093a8a7de93f.html

From the article...

OK what was the interest? It said he received interest from the University of Pittsburgh but no further details of the interest or any proof there was actual interest. So we are supposed to believe because we gave him an extension he chose to not pursue a P5 opening that would have paid him over 3 million per year and put him in a conference where if he has a great year he could play for the National Championship.

We all believe what we want to believe.

You asked for something other than facebook and twitter.
I tried to help you by finding a news report of the time period.

Bottom line is that John may have driven up to Pitt and talked to them, but he was never offered that, or any other P5 job or he wouldn't be here. I could have seen somebody like FIU or FAU trying to hire him after 2014, but he spent 30 years trying to become a coordinator at a P5 and nobody even wanted him for that.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Let's say Doc left Marshall(dismissed) and he wanted to stay in coaching at the D1 level. What position on a football staff do you think he would have? Coordinator? Don't see it.

Let's say Doc left Marshall(dismissed) and he wanted to stay in coaching at the D1 level. What position on a football staff do you think he would have? Coordinator? Don't see it.
same job he had a Fl. He would be the assistant coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT