ADVERTISEMENT

So...FAU

GoHerdMarshallYes

Gold Buffalo
Nov 7, 2018
Lots of COVID. As it has been discussed on other threads, this could affect MU.

Figured I'd set up a separate thread for it.
Do you think we play them as scheduled?

I doubt we do, although they could still come and play shorthanded. The league needs to really step up and help us if this game is indeed cancelled. Why do I get the uneasy feeling we'd hear nothing from Frisco?

I doubt we do, although they could still come and play shorthanded. The league needs to really step up and help us if this game is indeed cancelled. Why do I get the uneasy feeling we'd hear nothing from Frisco?
As a point of reference, the Cowboys offices are in Frisco, CUSA offices are in Dallas about 20 miles SW

I’d get the feeling that we’d both potentially finish undefeated in conference and somehow get screwed out of playing for the championship.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ANGRY MAN STANDING ON WOODEN BOX, SHOUTING: I think they should have to forfeit. If you didn't do the ODU thing at the beginning of the season, then you committed to playing the season, for good or ill.

Allowing teams to walk away from games without having to take an L means teams are making the decision not to play based on their available personnel, and not their ability to fulfill their obligation. Especially if its a road game, when the team that's forfeiting is denying the other team gate revenue while also saving their own money - they're practically incentivized to not play.

FAU doesn't want to come here and catch a hot one to the face, so they'll stay down in Boca and trade infections so they can stay undefeated. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the positives were faked.

STILL ON TOP OF WOODEN BOX, BUT NOW AWKWARD, WITH NOTHING TO SHOUT ABOUT

Being in the cesspool of the southeast (south Florida) in terms of COVID infections Im sure doesn't help... But at some point you have to either – A. Get a handle on it as a program so you can play. B. Start forfeiting games that you aren't able to attend.

Also, as was mentioned above, it would be great if CUSA leadership was on the ball and had a contingency plan in place for when games got cancelled (especially if they can see it coming a couple weeks out). But they dont, because CUSA is about as well run as KMart. So if FAU cancels, we will get screwed again with a last minute open date.

Being in the cesspool of the southeast (south Florida) in terms of COVID infections Im sure doesn't help... But at some point you have to either – A. Get a handle on it as a program so you can play. B. Start forfeiting games that you aren't able to attend.

Also, as was mentioned above, it would be great if CUSA leadership was on the ball and had a contingency plan in place for when games got cancelled (especially if they can see it coming a couple weeks out). But they dont, because CUSA is about as well run as KMart. So if FAU cancels, we will get screwed again with a last minute open date.
Agree, they have 85 scholarships, man up and play or rule it as a forfeit and we get the W. No in between.

ANGRY MAN STANDING ON WOODEN BOX, SHOUTING: I think they should have to forfeit. If you didn't do the ODU thing at the beginning of the season, then you committed to playing the season, for good or ill.

Allowing teams to walk away from games without having to take an L means teams are making the decision not to play based on their available personnel, and not their ability to fulfill their obligation. Especially if its a road game, when the team that's forfeiting is denying the other team gate revenue while also saving their own money - they're practically incentivized to not play.

FAU doesn't want to come here and catch a hot one to the face, so they'll stay down in Boca and trade infections so they can stay undefeated. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the positives were faked.

STILL ON TOP OF WOODEN BOX, BUT NOW AWKWARD, WITH NOTHING TO SHOUT ABOUT

I am actually inclined to agree with you.
FAU committed to playing, like everyone else who were well aware of the risk in doing so. ODU shouldn't be penalized for opting out before the season as they avoided contributing to this mess. So instead of an "L" against them for not playing, they just simply aren't counted at all.
FAU should either play with a skeleton staff/team, lose, and move on...or forfeit the game entirely.

I have heard that a number of schools are very upset with leadership in allowing ODU opt out of conference games with no penalty. They are the only conference school in America not playing a conference schedule

I have heard that a number of schools are very upset with leadership in allowing ODU opt out of conference games with no penalty. They are the only conference school in America not playing a conference schedule
Frankly, the league should not pay ODU any media package money. Or at the very least, pay them less than the other member schools. The leadership of this league is just piss poor, I don't care how anyone spins it.

So Stowers is there a contingency plan if FAU does bow out of the game on the 24th. What are you hearing?
Will the conference adjust some of their policy even for a team that does ont have 6 conf. games?

Reactions: 31Herd55
So Stowers is there a contingency plan if FAU does bow out of the game on the 24th. What are you hearing?
Will the conference adjust some of their policy even for a team that does ont have 6 conf. games?
Depends on which team does not have 6 conference games. Any team not named Marshal gets a bye.

Reactions: johns1124
Then we move it to that day, and spend the 5th letting the players take turns urinating on the 2014 championship trophy.
So, suddenly Doc "only winning 1 title" doesn't mean anything?

Lets say MU wins out and UAB wins out. The two AD's should agree AND TELL THE CONFERENCE when they will play.
Just wishful thinking.

Frankly, the league should not pay ODU any media package money. Or at the very least, pay them less than the other member schools. The leadership of this league is just piss poor, I don't care how anyone spins it.

Eh...yes and no IMO.
ODU opted out at the start, and you can spin what they said in terms of why, but they didn't want anything to do with the 'Rona. I would like to think they couldn't keep up with the demands of testing and wanted to opt out, keep everyone safe, and thats that.
Did they have financials that affected this? Probably.
But with the best interest of their athletes (even if it is all about money) they shouldn't be penalized for that.

Eh...yes and no IMO.
ODU opted out at the start, and you can spin what they said in terms of why, but they didn't want anything to do with the 'Rona. I would like to think they couldn't keep up with the demands of testing and wanted to opt out, keep everyone safe, and thats that.
Did they have financials that affected this? Probably.
But with the best interest of their athletes (even if it is all about money) they shouldn't be penalized for that.
I don't think they should share monies from this year. If you or I told our employer we are taking time off for COVID, I doubt they would pay our salaries. They'd say, thats your choice and good luck. jmho

Reactions: Herdmeister
If anybody should be hearing the Judge Smails "you'll get nothing, and like it" speech its Rice... At least ODU had the courtesy to tell the league several weeks in advance that they were not going to play fall sports.

Rice has dicked everyone around from the start and FAU is about to jump in that same boat, especially if they cancel our game next week.

I don't think they should share monies from this year. If you or I told our employer we are taking time off for COVID, I doubt they would pay our salaries. They'd say, thats your choice and good luck. jmho
Its a little different when you're part of a conference.
I get what you're saying, and I have no clue what will be done (likely nothing) for ODU's actions.

I also agree Rice is being super sized sh*tty this season.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If CUSA moves the conference championship game back a week to Dec. 12... We should get first dibs on playing Rice in Huntington on Dec. 5.

Play football or you get a L. Its simple not hard at all and for ODU and Rice no slice of the tv money. Now see thats easy enough straight forward and no bullshit. It's called real life folks.

Play football or you get a L. Its simple not hard at all and for ODU and Rice no slice of the tv money. Now see thats easy enough straight forward and no bullshit. It's called real life folks.
Maybe this will be one of those years that everyone finishes with at least one loss...and ODU will be undefeated at 0-0 and can claim the UCF National Championship!

I say: Honor our game with ECU. The significance of this being the 50th anniversary of The Crash should supersede everything else. As for the conference? If we run the table (as we should) and are ranked in the top 20? Tell them to eat a dick & we'll get back to them after 12/05......

I say: Honor our game with ECU. The significance of this being the 50th anniversary of The Crash should supersede everything else. As for the conference? If we run the table (as we should) and are ranked in the top 20? Tell them to eat a dick & we'll get back to them after 12/05......

While that's a fun idea, that's not going to happen... ECU is terrible and they are not going to want to extend their season to take another L. Also, Rice would be a home game in Huntington and ECU would be a road game. If those are your options, you always take the home game.

While that's a fun idea, that's not going to happen... ECU is terrible and they are not going to want to extend their season to take another L. Also, Rice would be a home game in Huntington and ECU would be a road game. If those are your options, you always take the home game.

Finally, We agree on something. It's going to be hard to find good replacements towards the end of the season. Year is a Cluster Fvck. It IS, but IS NOT our year. Just imagine what could have been if we were playing, as well as we are, with the schedule we had this year. Now it's a bunch of patchwork.

Last edited:
How is MU able to keep its players safe and Covid free and these other schools can't? I agree that those schools should pay a price for such behavior. Hats off to Doc for managing the situation better than most. This is one of our better teams and the virus situation will likely not allow full and proper recognition. Glad to see poll voting has us at 26 in AP. Would be a shame if homecoming game could not be played. I had planned to attend.

How is MU able to keep its players safe and Covid free and these other schools can't?

File this under "questions we may not want to know the answer to."

Finally, We agree on something. It's going to be hard to find good replacements towards the end of the season. Year is a Cluster Fvck. It IS, but IS NOT our year. Just imagine what could have been if we were playing as well as we are with the schedule we had this year. Now it's a bunch of patchwork.

This is where a real conference, with a capable and competent president and staff, would come out tomorrow (after announcing they've moved the championship game back two weeks) and announce an additional week of CUSA games on Dec. 5. Every matchup, location and game time. But, this is CUSA, so I won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

How is MU able to keep its players safe and Covid free and these other schools can't? I agree that those schools should pay a price for such behavior. Hats off to Doc for managing the situation better than most. This is one of our better teams and the virus situation will likely not allow full and proper recognition. Glad to see poll voting has us at 26 in AP. Would be a shame if homecoming game could not be played. I had planned to attend.
Well, to answer your first question...maybe Hamrick and the AD is actually treating this seriously?

ADVERTISEMENT