ADVERTISEMENT

So is there anyone left who

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Thinks that Marshall leaving CUSA was the wrong decision? With the announcement that WKU and MTSU are heading to the MAC (kind of surprised that the MAC decided to expand) CUSA is left with La Tech and FIU. I’m surprised that La Tech hasn’t applied to the MWC. Anyway to reduce travel CUSA adds New Mexico State! LOL! CUSA has become the laughing stock of D-1 football and adding
Sam Houston State with a 12,000 seat stadium? Really? So glad our administration chose to move us to the Sun Belt and the sooner the better. Guess Judy gets to keep her job!

Thinks that Marshall leaving CUSA was the wrong decision? With the announcement that WKU and MTSU are heading to the MAC (kind of surprised that the MAC decided to expand) CUSA is left with La Tech and FIU. I’m surprised that La Tech hasn’t applied to the MWC. Anyway to reduce travel CUSA adds New Mexico State! LOL! CUSA has become the laughing stock of D-1 football and adding
Sam Houston State with a 12,000 seat stadium? Really? So glad our administration chose to move us to the Sun Belt and the sooner the better. Guess Judy gets to keep her job!
Did I miss an announcement about UTEP? When, in the modern history of college football has a league gone from 14 members to near zero in a month? Incredible turn of events…

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
The MAC is smart to expand. When the ESPN $$ run out, after the 26 season, the amount of $$ will go way down. That contract was signed when “everybody” had cable/dish and thus “everybody” paid for ESPN, whether they watched it or not. Lots of household have no one in them that cares about sports and are thus cord cutting for ESPN-free alternatives.

As it is now, some MACers are looking at 80% or more in subsidy. Many of these schools, located in the buckle of the Rust Belt, are filled today with older students, majority female, who have no desire to pay student fees for sports they do not care about. The MAC will lose programs in the later part of this decade (not any of the ones near here) and it is smart to add in two programs in geographically logical, but very different economically, states.

There was, AFAIK, no “announcement” about UTEP. El Paso paper has a column with a list of random I-AAs that might move up. Being out there, they are all about NDSU and the rest of that league. IMHO, NDSU has something special there. Being the biggest fish in the second biggest pond beats playing Akron in. the Gasparilla Bowl all to pieces.

If I were Liberty, I would be backing out of CUSA just as quick as I accepted... They have the money to stay independent until a better offer comes along.

As bad as Louisiana Tech's leadership looks right now, UTEPs also is looking pretty bad. Maybe they are begging for a Mountain West invite in private and just not saying a word about it in public, but having no news isn't a great look at this point when 11 of the 14 teams in your league have taken off and you are left holding the door.

Did I miss an announcement about UTEP? When, in the modern history of college football has a league gone from 14 members to near zero in a month? Incredible turn of events…

Would any other conference commish ever be so clueless? CUSA seems more shocked about the departures than anything.

Goddamn Sam was very much against it.

Honestly,

I would have like to see us wait until after the winter NCAA meetings to gauge the outcome. If the P6 moves to split it would have given us an opportunity to see where we land. We already made a decision, so good or bad we may be stuck with the ultimate resolution.

Last edited:
If I were Liberty, I would be backing out of CUSA just as quick as I accepted... They have the money to stay independent until a better offer comes along.

As bad as Louisiana Tech's leadership looks right now, UTEPs also is looking pretty bad. Maybe they are begging for a Mountain West invite in private and just not saying a word about it in public, but having no news isn't a great look at this point when 11 of the 14 teams in your league have taken off and you are left holding the door.
Actually I wouldn't. Being independent is holding Liberty back. Without a conference championship to play for they have no path to the Access Bowl. Plus your season is pretty much meaningless when you're independent unless you're Notre Dame.

Actually I wouldn't. Being independent is holding Liberty back. Without a conference championship to play for they have no path to the Access Bowl. Plus your season is pretty much meaningless when you're independent unless you're Notre Dame.
They can still go to a regular bowl game as an independent... And being in the new CUSA is not going to get them any chance of ever playing in the access bowl.

If you live in a nice house on a lot by yourself, you don't buy an equally nice house in a shitty neighborhood just for the sake of moving... You don't want to be devalued by the neighbors, and CUSA is now a bunch of trailers on blocks.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Honestly,

I would have like to see us wait until after the winder NCAA meetings to gauge the outcome. If the P6..;.

Dude! Arguing that the AAC 1.0 is something like a major college league was Arseco snake oil.

Arguing that AAC 2.0, which is to say ECU, Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, FAU, UNCC, North Texas, Rice, and UTSA is, is darn near mental illness.

Not only is it not in the “power 5”, its not even the best of the G5 leagues.

It is probably the bottom of them.

Honestly,

I would have like to see us wait until after the winder NCAA meetings to gauge the outcome. If the P6 moves to split it would have given us an opportunity to see where we land. We already made a decision, so good or bad we may be stuck with the ultimate resolution.

No, MU acted quickly (by comparison to its past of action) and this is the right move.
MU needed to look as valuable as it could, and did, now is in a much more stable conference.

Honestly,

I would have like to see us wait until after the winter NCAA meetings to gauge the outcome. If the P6 moves to split it would have given us an opportunity to see where we land. We already made a decision, so good or bad we may be stuck with the ultimate resolution.
There is no P6 only a P5 and that is headed to P4 possibly, unless you are a fan of the delusional American who puts a P6 decal on their helmets

Reactions: The Real SamC
There is no P6 only a P5 and that is headed to P4 possibly, unless you are a fan of the delusional American who puts a P6 decal on their helmets
100%.

Power 5, or P5 is an actual term, found in the playoff agreement. Power 6, or P6 is just Arseco snake oil. He was quoted last week as saying “we are not stopping, we are doubling down.” You go, boy. Yep, in a year or two, North Texas at UNCC or FAU at Tulsa is the same level as Alabama-Auburn or Ohio State-Michigan. What a retard.

As to the P4, Feinbaum is using what I think is the correct formula. The SEC, the “alliance” (ACC, Big 10, Pac 12), the middle one (“Big” 12), and the Group of 5.

The SEC has always been the biggest dog and its only going to get bigger with OU and Texas... You can just about guarantee two playoff spots for the top two SEC teams every year from here on out.

The other two spots will bounce between the PAC-12, ACC, Big10 champions... The only way a Big12 champ would have a shot is if they went undefeated and got lucky with two of the other league champs being at least 1-loss, possibly 2-loss, teams. So basically, the Big12 is now in the same boat as the AAC and the rest of the smaller conferences in that they have no chance unless every possible domino falls correctly (like it may this year for Cincy).

Last edited:
The SEC has always been the biggest dog and its only going to get bigger with OU and Texas... You can just about guarantee two playoff spots for the top two SEC teams every year from here on out.

The other two spots will bounce between the PAC-12, ACC, Big10 champions... The only way a Big12 champ would have a shot is if they went undefeated and got lucky with two of the other league champs being at least 1-loss, possibly 2-loss, teams. So basically, the Big12 is now in the same boat the AAC and the rest of the smaller conferences in that they have no chance unless every possible domino falls correctly (like it may this year for Cincy).
100%

The more things change the more they stay the same. When our friends the Spamites moved up from the Southern Conference in the late 60s, they spent the next 30 years in a succession of mid-majors, first the “eastern independents” (AKA the Lambert Least) then two versions of the “Big” East, 1.0 being the Big Least and 2.0 being the Leastleftovers.

All solid, nice mid-major conferences/quasi-conferences. All often the best of the mid-major leagues of that era. But our friends required one to believe the snake oil that this was somehow the same as the SEC, or Big 10 or even the ACC. So much suspension of disbelief is necessary to follow USPAM. The arguments even got louder once the Big Ugly Satellite dish brought TV to the trailer parks and hollers of WV.

Now, after 12 failed years as a field filler in a true major conference, USPAM returns to the level it belongs, the upper part of the mid-majors, which is what Big 12 3.0 certainly will be, now and forever.

No matter what the Spamite hype machine says otherwise.

100%.

Power 5, or P5 is an actual term, found in the playoff agreement. Power 6, or P6 is just Arseco snake oil. He was quoted last week as saying “we are not stopping, we are doubling down.” You go, boy. Yep, in a year or two, North Texas at UNCC or FAU at Tulsa is the same level as Alabama-Auburn or Ohio State-Michigan. What a retard.

As to the P4, Feinbaum is using what I think is the correct formula. The SEC, the “alliance” (ACC, Big 10, Pac 12), the middle one (“Big” 12), and the Group of 5.
THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!

The other two spots will bounce between the PAC-12, ACC, Big10 champions... The only way a Big12 champ would have a shot is if they went undefeated and got lucky with two of the other league champs being at least 1-loss, possibly 2-loss, teams. So basically, the Big12 is now in the same boat as the AAC and the rest of the smaller conferences in that they have no chance unless every possible domino falls correctly (like it may this year for Cincy).

The Big 12 is screwed and it would be a nice thing to spare everyone the headache and strip them of their P5 status.

Remember, was it the first CFP with TWO Big 12 teams in the mix, and BOTH got left out?
Granted, the Big 12 had no title game, but if OU or UT had been in the same situation, do either of them not get in?
Not likely.

The only bargaining power the Big 12 ever had was OU and UT...and they headed for the SEC.

Now, who's the most valuable team in the Big 12? I'm asking this as a serious question because even Cincy, who have literally done everything they've been asked to do, got knocked back to 6th.

Even with the pending departure to the Big 12, which could have given them more "star power" so to speak by conference affiliation alone, they are getting zero.

Reactions: ohio herd
THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!
Yes. Always done in ridicule. Ridicule of a ridiculous claim by a league that was just another G5 league. One which, from day one and continuing to this day the enemy of the other four leagues.

Ridicule it every day. Remember that, in 2 years, Arseco want you to ACTUALLY BELIEVE that North Texas @ Tulane is major college football. Laugh at him. Every chance you get.

Reactions: RhinoD
Yes. Always done in ridicule. Ridicule of a ridiculous claim by a league that was just another G5 league. One which, from day one and continuing to this day the enemy of the other four leagues.

Ridicule it every day. Remember that, in 2 years, Arseco want you to ACTUALLY BELIEVE that North Texas @ Tulane is major college football. Laugh at him. Every chance you get.
I won't dispute their name brand took a massive hit this time around.

Aresco had to become the very thing that killed CUSA...in his mind...thinking lightning doesn't strike twice.

North Texas at Tulane just doesn't have the same je ne c'est quoi as East Carolina at Tulsa... Marquee matchups all the way around in the new old CUSA.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT