ADVERTISEMENT

So....When is Danny getting booted?

I figure the next year or two. Obviously, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, or he would realize his time is limited and start to rebuild now. Giving options to some seniors to return, tells you he is happy with the current status quo.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'm 61, and I certainly wouldn't be involved in some 2-3 year rebuilding plan. Dan is what, 74 this year?

Marshall needs to consider calling Bobby Pruett and see if he knows anything about basketball. That, or next time they need a new hoops coach, try to find someone young who's maybe an assistant at a decent program.

Careful. We are talking about another Herd great and many will get upset and become defensive about replacing DD. Just saying.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Reading through these basketball threads is reminiscent of the Doc era. How much longer will mediocre outcomes be celebrated on the hardwood?
3 division titles, 1 conference title, 6-2 in bowls, 3 wins over the power 5, .612 career winning%, with an average finish of 2nd in the division and coaching the most prolific QB in program history was completely unacceptable. Some even refuse to call him Doc. Ran a clean program and is hated by a large faction of the fans.

On the other hand zero regular season titles, 2 conference tournament championship game appearances, 1 championship, 1 Tournament win, zero wins over teams from the Power Conferences, a career .564 winning%, and an average finish in conference play of 5th/6th over 7 seasons is above reproach.

For the record I wanted Marshall to move on from Doc. I thought the program was growing stagnant in many ways. Even as good as this past season started it finished in too familiar of fashion. So I am not being a Doc apologist.

Dan's recruiting is sub par overall, our players never develop physically, we're never really in the hunt to finish 1st in the regular season, and we have yet to beat a team from a power conference. This year's team was considered by many to be one of the best Dan has had and we got bounced in the 1st round of the conference tournament.

I don't know what the deal is. Either Dan is Teflon because he's Dan D'Antoni or as a whole Marshall fans don't expect or demand much out of basketball. We're a football school and basketball is just something to buy time until Spring Camp starts.

Last edited:
Hate to say this but Danny has reached his peak, he has done all he is capable of doing.
He peaked with our tournament win. The following season was a choke job and it's been at best average since. Yes I know we lost Peneva, but to go from the NCAA Tournament to a pay-and-play tournament is pretty sad. Especially given that he still had arguably the best backcourt in the history of the program that featured of of the best players in Marshall history and couldn't even make the NIT. Peneva was a big loss, but it's not like the roster was decimated.

Take away Dan's best season and worst season and what are you left with?

DD needs to put a spark back into the program. Not sure what that is, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. Just deliver.

But, when we go to hiring the next guy, it better be more Donnie Jones than Ron Jirsa. And even DJ didn’t do anything DD hasn’t. So we’ll see what happens.

DD needs to put a spark back into the program. Not sure what that is, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. Just deliver.

But, when we go to hiring the next guy, it better be more Donnie Jones than Ron Jirsa. And even DJ didn’t do anything DD hasn’t. So we’ll see what happens.

I believe Jones would have won more with the talent he brought in if he wasn’t playing CUSA 2.0 and was playing 3.0 instead.

He peaked with our tournament win. The following season was a choke job and it's been at best average since. Yes I know we lost Peneva, but to go from the NCAA Tournament to a pay-and-play tournament is pretty sad. Especially given that he still had arguably the best backcourt in the history of the program that featured of of the best players in Marshall history and couldn't even make the NIT. Peneva was a big loss, but it's not like the roster was decimated.

Take away Dan's best season and worst season and what are you left with?
How many tournament wins has Marshall had in the NCAA?

How many tournament wins has Marshall had in the NCAA?
What does that have to do with wanting more than being middle of the road in CUSA? Yea he won our only tournament game in school history. He deserves all the praise he got for that and it can never be taken away from him. However that one win does not give him a pass to coast and have teams that tail off down the stretch and get bounced in the first round of the conference tournament. Especially when he has a potential NBA draft pick on the team. That NBA draft pick also happens to be playing with our all-time leading shot blocker and all-time steals leader. No excuse for how this year turned out and save me the COVID excuse because every team dealt with it too.

If anything Dan winning that tournament game shows that it can be done here.

Am I saying it should happen every season? No. However I expect us to be in hunt for it. We've never finished at the top of CUSA during the regular season and we average somewhere between 4th and 6th each season. That shouldn't be happening. It shouldn't just be accepted.

Doc got us our first conference championship since 2002 and people were pissed we lost one game that season. Once again not saying Doc should still be here, but the expectation disparity between our two major sports is dumbfounding. Excuses are tossed out left and right when MBB falls short, but as soon as football stubs it's toe every message board lights up with anger and fans want the coaches and their families ran out of town.

We constantly saw posts and still do about how Hamrick didn't do his job because he never put any real pressure on Doc to win. Why isn't that being said about Hamrick and Dan? Why isn't Dan's seat hot?

Should I just have zero expectations for Marshall men's basketball and just be happy when we have a magical run once every 30 or so years?

If we demand multiple championships for Football we should be doing the same for Basketball.

What does that have to do with wanting more than being middle of the road in CUSA? Yea he won our only tournament game in school history. He deserves all the praise he got for that and it can never be taken away from him. However that one win does not give him a pass to coast and have teams that tail off down the stretch and get bounced in the first round of the conference tournament. Especially when he has a potential NBA draft pick on the team. That NBA draft pick also happens to be playing with our all-time leading shot blocker and all-time steals leader. No excuse for how this year turned out and save me the COVID excuse because every team dealt with it too.

Am I saying it should happen every season? No. However I expect us to be in hunt for it. We've never finished at the top of CUSA during the regular season and we average somewhere between 4th and 6th each season. That shouldn't be happening. It shouldn't just be accepted.

Doc got us our first conference championship since 2002 and people were pissed we lost one game that season. Once again not saying Doc should still be here, but the expectation disparity between our two major sports is dumbfounding. Excuses are tossed out left and right when MBB falls short, but as soon as football stubs it's toe every message board lights up with anger and fans want the coaches and their families ran out of town.

We constantly saw posts and still do about how Hamrick didn't do his job because he never put any real pressure on Doc to win. Why isn't that being said about Hamrick and Dan? Why isn't Dan's seat hot?

Should I just have zero expectations for Marshall men's basketball and just be happy when we have a magical run once every 30 or so years?

If we demand multiple championships for Football we should be doing the same for Basketball.
As to Doc, it's not really about how many he won or lost, but who those losses were to and when they occurred.

I just wanted to jump in here. First of all, I doubt that Danny is planning on trying to coach here that much longer. I also doubt he thinks, and I would agree, that the program is a dumpster fire. Yes it is disappointing to lose in the first round of the C-USA tourney especially with the talent we had on the hardwood. However, DD runs a clean program and brings in quality kids both on and off the court. He has brought stability and if this trend continues, whoever takes over for him will find the program in good shape. For the record, please stop saying he hasn't brought good players to Marshall. Whether he recruited them from HS or if they transferred here he is responsible for them being here. He has brought in 2 of the highest scorers in Herd history , the all time steals leader and all time blocked shots leader. Give it another year or two before these silly threads show up on here.

Last edited:
Reading through these basketball threads is reminiscent of the Doc era. How much longer will mediocre outcomes be celebrated on the hardwood?

Based on his recent lack of roster changes and the rumored change in AD, I'd guess this time next year is a likely time for his era to end.

Had the Iran Bennett experiment panned out, I think we would have had a lot more success. Lack of interior strength has definitely hurt our rebounding and defense in the paint. Would like to see at least one recruit this year be a leaper who can block shots and get rebounds to complement the outside shooting game DD coaches.

I have no idea.

That's a hypothetical no one can answer.

Obviously, he didn't sign here first.

- DD is Teflon here for two reasons. One is that this fan base has not seen a winner in so long, it accepts mediocrity. Two is that he went to MU, is from WV and is a dynamic speaker. I sat through this movie before, only the protagonist was called Greg White. It will end the same way.

- Recruiting WV, means out recruiting Concord and WV State and such. WV produces X number of actual DI athletes per year, and getting players that belong elsewhere to come here is dumb. Why do we do this? DD is a product of his times. WV was a LOT bigger in DD's bygone age. Recruiting WV was a good plan. In 1968.

- Can we please have have a basketball discussion without mentioning football? If MU had won the Rose Bowl, went 0-12, was in I-AA, or did not have a team at all, it would not change one thing about the need for discussion of this mediocre basketball team and the fan base's acceptance of mediocrity.

- All that said, DD will be here as long as he wants. Which is sad. He should do the right thing and retire.

Reactions: johns1124
Can we please have have a basketball discussion without mentioning football?
giphy-downsized.gif

I, for one, like DD but think his biggest weakness is his assistant coaches. He needs to replace a couple of his assistants with some people that have a passion for recruiting, can identify talent and sell the talent on Marshall. DD's a good coach - he just needs better talent. To get the better talent - he needs better recruiters.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan and DF3
DD catches hell for recruiting too many WV kids, but you’re not sure if he would have recruited Elmore? He just accepted him as a transfer after not doing anything at VMI. Makes sense.

Right on time.

- Recruiting WV, means out recruiting Concord and WV State and such. WV produces X number of actual DI athletes per year, and getting players that belong elsewhere to come here is dumb. Why do we do this? DD is a product of his times. WV was a LOT bigger in DD's bygone age. Recruiting WV was a good plan. In 1968.

Reactions: mlblack16.
except in the DD era we have lost out on WV recruits to wvu, davidson, liberty, and Florida.

not to mention Dunn Martin who we blew off and went on to Akron/Duquesne.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
except in the DD era we have lost out on WV recruits to wvu, davidson, liberty, and Florida.

not to mention Dunn Martin who we blew off and went on to Akron/Duquesne.
& UIC, & Bowling Green, & New Hampshire, & JMU, & Virginia

Last edited:
Virginia is McNeely, right? who are the other four? not doubting you buy don't recall and only BG even sounds familiar. little help?
Yep, Virginia = McNeely
UIC = Dikembe Dixon from Mingo Central—Herdfever’s favorite player
BG = Kaden Matheny from University. Started some this year for them as a freshman, avg 10pts/gm
New Hampshire = KJ McClurg, also a freshman from University
JMU = Zyon Dobbs from Fairmont

Yep, Virginia = McNeely
UIC = Dikembe Dixon from Mingo Central—Herdfever’s favorite player
BG = Kaden Matheny from University. Started some this year for them as a freshman, avg 10pts/gm
New Hampshire = KJ McClurg, also a freshman from University
JMU = Zyon Dobbs from Fairmont
Metheny was a miss. We should have been on him.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Metheny was a miss. We should have been on him.
Absolutely. I had my doubts because he is really small. But his handles, shot, & range is a poor man’s Steph Curry. Tailor-made for our system & the exact type of guard we need. Should have moved on from someone and gave him a chance. If he couldn’t compete due to size, then we move on from him after a few years of giving him a shot.

We had two open spots, we brought in OAK & Early. We chose the right two, IMO. Would just have been nice to add that 3rd one.

LOL been saying this for a while now...Dan and Doc are basically the same person.
One got so much hell for losing a game, the other got more slack for losing a game.

The reason Hamrick didn't pressure Dan is because everyone loves Dan and were willing to give him a pass just because of his media friendly personality.
Also, I've never seen so much grapsing for optimism with his losses...looking at any stat to give a false sense of hope that he was leading MU in the right direction.

Unlike football, where a dropped pass or a bad series meant a complete rebuild of everything.
Heaven forbid MU actually would win the game.

When Doc won a game, fans legitimately complained about it. Said "MU got embarrassed" by (say) a ranked NC State team, losing by 17 pts.

When Dan would be pummeled by 10th place osu, or Maryland topping 100pts against MU, 11th place Texas A&M, and UVA (granted its UVA) PUTTING THEIR WATERBOY IN THE GAME!!! Back to back blowout losses (UVA doubled MU's score by halftime).
Fans seemed to want to ignore it...or that our best scorer was completely shut down when playing against big competition.

Lets put it this way...

Many of Dan's defenders would say, "this is all ok...Dan will get us going at the end of the season, which is where it matters most."
Technically, you're right...NCAA bids come from tournament winners from 1 bid leagues.
So by that logic, Dan has 3-4 months of essentially practice basketball games with teams he gets multiple games against, to beat only 3 of them in a row out of a 14 team field.

Because your record doesn't mean a thing if you win your conference tournament. 18 teams have made the NCAA field with a losing record.

Dan's been at the highest level of his sport for several years and dare I say has one of the better resumes in CUSA. His coaching ability alone, SHOULD more than make up for the lack of talent a mid major has...and yet he's managed to win 3 games in a row when it mattered most just...one time?!

- DD is Teflon here for two reasons. One is that this fan base has not seen a winner in so long, it accepts mediocrity. Two is that he went to MU, is from WV and is a dynamic speaker. I sat through this movie before, only the protagonist was called Greg White. It will end the same way.

Nah. Its an easy flip flop for Dan fans.

Dan erases 30 years of underachievement in 4 years time and shows MU fans that MU CAN be a contender.
MU steps backwards, fans say, "Well, our history has shown MU is terrible, thus, Dan is good since we won an NCAA tournament game."
Prior to the next season, everyone thinks MU can win the CUSA tournament.
MU doesn't. Fans remind themselves that "basketball has never been treated right. Remember how bad we were? Wow, Dan winning that NCAA tournament game shows how far we've come!"
Next season...well...you get the idea.

- Can we please have have a basketball discussion without mentioning football? If MU had won the Rose Bowl, went 0-12, was in I-AA, or did not have a team at all, it would not change one thing about the need for discussion of this mediocre basketball team and the fan base's acceptance of mediocrity.

- All that said, DD will be here as long as he wants. Which is sad. He should do the right thing and retire.

Many of your points about the basketball program are valid, but you have absolutely no credibility discussing them since what you're blaming others for doing with basketball is exactly what you did for years with football.

I like Dan and think he is a good coach. His recruiting needs a step up but he will be here as long as he sells tickets. He has many fans including me. I will keep buying tickets to see his brand of basketball. I wish coaches and players wouldn't be bad-mouthed so much on this site. Constructive criticism is justified but criticism cuts real close to put downs. Give us a break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT