ADVERTISEMENT

So....When is Danny getting booted?

Why not with continued success? Mark Few has been at Zaga since '99. With continued success. Granted Huntington is no Spokane. If MU had a successful coach, had the resources to pay well. I could see it.
Understand that. But there are probably more that got away - Smart at VCU, Stevens at Butler, etc.

I just remember what happened to the two most successful MU coaches during my lifetime - Tacy and Huck ☹

Use your other hand to count 😀. In a previous post I think I looked at NCAA tournament records over the last 10 years. Both conferences had the same number of wins but CUSA had more losses, hence the higher winning percentage that I referred to.

😋

There is still a significant hole in your theory. If you have equal wins and more losses, that automatically means you have more teams into the tournament, right? Obviously things are different but I used the last 6 tournaments for two reasons: 1. That’s when the CUSA run started. And 2. The league today is very much similar to the league from then. Tulsa won the tournament the prior year. It’s an inequitable comparison.

That said: over the past 6 tournaments, CUSA is performing slightly better than the MAC.

But it’s not worth arguing about because I think you make great points too, and unfortunately, it doesn’t change perception of the league.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Sean - I generally agree with virtually everything you post about basketball and think you have great feel for and knowledge about the game. But at $200k DD is hardly getting paid the "big bucks" especially in comparison to similar programs in CUSA and the MAC who pay $400k, $600k and more yet he is outperforming many if not most of these higher paid coaches.
Hahaha!! With OU beating UVA, DD is hardly outperforming anyone.

😋

There is still a significant hole in your theory. If you have equal wins and more losses, that automatically means you have more teams into the tournament, right? Obviously things are different but I used the last 6 tournaments for two reasons: 1. That’s when the CUSA run started. And 2. The league today is very much similar to the league from then. Tulsa won the tournament the prior year. It’s an inequitable comparison.

That said: over the past 6 tournaments, CUSA is performing slightly better than the MAC.

But it’s not worth arguing about because I think you make great points too, and unfortunately, it doesn’t change perception of the league.
I just used 10 years because it was a round number but understand and agree with your logic as well. Obviously both time frames have their merits. Looking back 10 years UAB got the automatic bid and Memphis got an at-large. The next year Memphis got the automatic bid and Donnie Tyndall and Southern Miss got an at-large before their worlds blew up.

Depending upon what UNT does tonight the OU victory over UVA probably shifts the recent advantage back to the MAC, hence why a larger sample size might even things out.

We have some here saying CUSA is a weak conference ripe for the taking and others saying it is significantly better conference than the MAC. I just pulled those numbers out to illustrate that neither of those are necessarily correct. Even with fewer teams in the NCAA the MAC still has won as many games as CUSA over the last 10 years so I'm not sure that is really a hole in my theory. I think over the last 10 years the Herd only has a 35% winning percentage against the MAC.

Can we agree that both conferences perform better than their respective perceptions and have some pretty good teams?

Why not with continued success? Mark Few has been at Zaga since '99. With continued success. Granted Huntington is no Spokane. If MU had a successful coach, had the resources to pay well. I could see it.
Gonzaga doesn't have the burden of fielding a D1 football program. Lots of their resources go right to basketball.
Plus their HC has literally made Gonzaga a power program despite being in a mid major conference. He's also been at Gonzaga since 1989 as a GA, and Gonzaga has made the tournament every single year he's been as the HC, the guy is an absolute winner.

Reactions: KyMUfan
I just used 10 years because it was a round number but understand and agree with your logic as well. Obviously both time frames have their merits. Looking back 10 years UAB got the automatic bid and Memphis got an at-large. The next year Memphis got the automatic bid and Donnie Tyndall and Southern Miss got an at-large before their worlds blew up.

Depending upon what UNT does tonight the OU victory over UVA probably shifts the recent advantage back to the MAC, hence why a larger sample size might even things out.

We have some here saying CUSA is a weak conference ripe for the taking and others saying it is significantly better conference than the MAC. I just pulled those numbers out to illustrate that neither of those are necessarily correct. Even with fewer teams in the NCAA the MAC still has won as many games as CUSA over the last 10 years so I'm not sure that is really a hole in my theory. I think over the last 10 years the Herd only has a 35% winning percentage against the MAC.

Can we agree that both conferences perform better than their respective perceptions and have some pretty good teams?

Nobody in CUSA ever seems to be consistent. Maybe WKU, but they haven't won the conference since they joined.

😋

Was curious about some things. Current members of CUSA are 14-20 in the NCAA tournament for 41% and 5-6 over the last 6 tournaments for 45%. The MAC is 33-76 for 30% and 3-6 for 33%. Both percentages are close to their historical and recent performances

ADVERTISEMENT