ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer team ranked?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Saw that the men’s team was ranked #25 in what appears to be the official poll. Most of the teams listed are big places with way more resources than we have.

Don’t know much about soccer, other than I don’t like it, but that is good, right?

Saw that the men’s team was ranked #25 in what appears to be the official poll. Most of the teams listed are big places with way more resources than we have.

Don’t know much about soccer, other than I don’t like it, but that is good, right?

Marshall is ranked No. 21. It’s the highest ranking ever and first time in the poll in 18 years.

If it’s the USC poll or NCAA RPI then it is meaningful. If not it doesn’t really matter.

I just checked it’s the USC poll which has meaning. MU is #45 in RPI which needs to improve if they don’t win CUSA.

Love this quote from the coach:
"I'm not a middling person," he added. "I can't just be happy for my place in the world and we're going to be a mid-major and that's it. We're going to try and win every game and try to win championships. We knew it was possible if we created the culture we wanted."

Exactly the mindset all programs should have.

https://herdzone.com/news/2019/10/1...top-25-ranked-highest-in-program-history.aspx

They continue to play well, they have a shot at the NCAA even if they don’t win the league. Narrow margin for error.
This is awesome. Well done men’s soccer!

Love this quote from the coach:
"I'm not a middling person," he added. "I can't just be happy for my place in the world and we're going to be a mid-major and that's it. We're going to try and win every game and try to win championships. We knew it was possible if we created the culture we wanted."

Exactly the mindset all programs should have.

https://herdzone.com/news/2019/10/1...top-25-ranked-highest-in-program-history.aspx

I'm surprised Hamrick didn't kill that article before it was published.

Looking at the success of the soccer team made me think about men's golf at Marshall. Every time I check results, we are at or near the bottom. We were horrible when I was at Marshall half a century ago. Must not take much effort to coach golf.

Congratulations! It's amazing what temporary effect having sparkling new facilities in a non-revenue sport that nobody else invests in can have on your success within it.

Sincerely,
WVU's Suddenly Nationally-Ranked Baseball Team

MU women’s golf is low D1 playing in third level tournaments. They are ok but I keep it in perspective.

Congratulations! It's amazing what temporary effect having sparkling new facilities in a non-revenue sport that nobody else invests in can have on your success within it.

Sincerely,
WVU's Suddenly Nationally-Ranked Baseball Team

Somebody needs to look at the facilities Big 12, SEC, ACC, Sun Belt, PAC 12, and most Big 10 baseball teams have.

Looking at the success of the soccer team made me think about men's golf at Marshall. Every time I check results, we are at or near the bottom. We were horrible when I was at Marshall half a century ago. Must not take much effort to coach golf.
The only thing golf coaches do is recruit players to the program, set the lineup, and maybe discuss strategy for the course they are playing unless they have a PGA teaching card. If they don't have a card then they aren't teaching shit to college level players.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Somebody needs to look at the facilities Big 12, SEC, ACC, Sun Belt, PAC 12, and most Big 10 baseball teams have.
Coastal Carolina, Sunbelt
image_handler.aspx

East Carolina University- The American!
ClarkLeClairStadium.jpg

Reactions: riflearm2
I'm just saying recruits go nutty for that new car smell. Here, I'll Mad Libs the pitch:

"Listen son, most schools don't care about [SPORT NAME], but not [SCHOOL NAME]. We've invested [STADIUM COST] in our program, just in the last few years, and expansion is on the horizon. We're really ready to make a name for ourselves as a major player in [SPORT NAME]."

I'm just saying recruits go nutty for that new car smell. Here, I'll Mad Libs the pitch:

"Listen son, most schools don't care about [SPORT NAME], but not [SCHOOL NAME]. We've invested [STADIUM COST] in our program, just in the last few years, and expansion is on the horizon. We're really ready to make a name for ourselves as a major player in [SPORT NAME]."
Good players want to be a part of a winner. They want to win. Of course, facilities helps to win. But, it really boils down to coaches and winning.

Years ago, Marshall had a football player who was recruiting by Kentucky and chose Marshall. I happened to sit beside his parents at a practice and we got talking. I said, I am surprised he chose Marshall over a SEC school. The father's reply was why would he do go there? Marshall is a big time winner and UK is a doormat(at the time they were).

Yeah, that applies to every sport, not just ones where you claim schools don't invest in.

Oregon wasn't Oregon before the Nike money started drastically improving their facilities. Oklahoma State wasn't Oklahoma State before T Boone's money started drastically improving their facilities.

Your claim was that wvu's baseball success was due to them investing in a sport few others care enough to invest in. That's absurdly wrong. Shall we look at schools with meager budgets from the Sun Belt, Southland, etc. who pour money into baseball facilities?

Shall we look at schools with meager budgets from the Sun Belt, Southland, etc. who pour money into baseball facilities?

Only if you're willing to give me 5,000 words over 20 paragraphs, split across three pages of content. With embedded images and text effects. I need to feel like you spent all day on it, otherwise you'll barely get me to half-chub.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT