ADVERTISEMENT

Something to Add to the Discussions

Let them play..
Call it “Maskup at the Capital Bowl”
100$ tickets Laidley field
the players of the winning team take all.
Beer and thunder dogs to be sold

We would get destroyed. No interest. If we are going to play a road game to replace Pitt, go to the highest bidder.

This game should always happen. But given their attitude towards scheduling us, I say we give them the same deal we gave VT in their desperation. This game for a big check plus a future 1 and 1, or get bent.

Hamrick and WVU AD Shane Lyons were just on statewide talk show. They were both asked about a game. Hamrick said it could happen but we need a home game. Lyons said they were looking at other schools for a home game.

Hamrick did say the ECU game is still on. That Pitt hasn’t contacted him about our game but he thought that it would indeed be cancelled.
Mike also said as of now, we will have limited fans in the stands.

I'm good with a game in Morganhole against the eers this year as long as the tickets are split correctly and the money is right. We may never have as good a chance line-size wise and skill wise as we do this year; go for it. Rebuild a goodwill experience and attitude between the two schools and move forward.

I'm good with a game in Morganhole against the eers this year as long as the tickets are split correctly and the money is right. We may never have as good a chance line-size wise and skill wise as we do this year; go for it. Rebuild a goodwill experience and attitude between the two schools and move forward.

Wow! You really believe they would split the gate? LOL!
We have no experienced QB, one solid RB and a good line. The WR is average at best.
Holes in the D to plug.
Not sure Doc would call one pass play in such conditions.
Let this one pass.

WVU fans are already making shitty comments on the statewide show about us. Screw them! A classy bunch.

Hamrick said it could happen but we need a home game. Lyons said they were looking at other schools for a home game.

In the last 20 years, I feel like we've transitioned from constantly badgering WVU to play us, to going 0-for-7 when they were forced to, to demanding more than WVU would ever concede as a way to keep the games from ever happening, while claiming WVU is "scared" and that playing them is beneath us anyway, and we don't care about them at all.

In the last 20 years, I feel like we've transitioned from constantly badgering WVU to play us, to going 0-for-7 when they were forced to, to demanding more than WVU would ever concede as a way to keep the games from ever happening, while claiming WVU is "scared" and that playing them is beneath us anyway, and we don't care about them at all.

What does WVU have to be scared of? They are 12-0 against us. Most games really haven’t been close. 2010 still hurts but that game and the very first one were our best chances. I don’t care about them. Not sure why some of our fans hold out so much hope that some day, we’ll play them every year.
Let’s move on, it’s best for all involved.

Reactions: Herdmeister

What does WVU have to be scared of? They are 12-0 against us. Most games really haven’t been close. 2010 still hurts but that game and the very first one were our best chances. I don’t care about them. Not sure why some of our fans hold out so much hope that some day, we’ll play them every year.

Here's an idea that makes so much sense, it would never be considered:
Play the game on the 12th, but make it at a neutral site. What are you talking about? you say....
Hold the game at a location where both schools have held practices in the past. I bet Big Jim would open the entire Greenbrier complex so that a meticulously clean environment exists. If the football field on that property is as nice as they say it is, do it w/o fans. Make it an ESPN game (Big 12 tie-in) and promote the bejeesus out of it......What am I missing? Go Herd!!!!

A certain segment of MU fans have a fixation on WVU.

WVU will never agree to play MU in any sport that matters on any terms that are fair.

Forget about them. Move on.

WVU fan here, and not wanting to flame your board, BUT...........

WVU's future football schedules for the next several years feature 11 games against P-5 opponents. The 12th game is ALWAYS going to be a home game, probably against someone from the G-5 or FCS. And that game will be played very early in the season when the weather is nice and a crowd of 55,000 or 60,000 will attend no matter who the opponent is, and that opponent will leave with a hefty paycheck in return. For our teams to ever meet again MU would have to realize WVU's position.

Basketball side of the matter - D'Antoni went on record as having opinion that WVU should play in Charleston and Morgantown one year, and Huntington and Charleston the next year. You'd have a hard time finding any member of a major conference that schedules two games every year with someone from outside of their own conference.

So tell me SamC, what do you mean exactly by fair terms regarding WVU football and basketball vs Marshall?

Last edited:
Here's an idea that makes so much sense, it would never be considered:
Play the game on the 12th, but make it at a neutral site. What are you talking about? you say....
Hold the game at a location where both schools have held practices in the past. I bet Big Jim would open the entire Greenbrier complex so that a meticulously clean environment exists. If the football field on that property is as nice as they say it is, do it w/o fans. Make it an ESPN game (Big 12 tie-in) and promote the bejeesus out of it......What am I missing? Go Herd!!!!
I would guess you're discounting the fact 99.52% of the nation couldn't care less about the game. That's roughly the WV population in relationship to the total population of the United States. It would be the same reason you likely wouldn't partake in watching South Alabama vs Alabama, or Texas State vs Texas, or even Kent State vs Ohio State.

WVU's position in the situation is thus: they got keys to the liquor cabinets in the State Capitol. They need a longer runway, they need a baseball stadium? Baby you got it now go beat those Sooners. Like most of P5, they're playing with house money, so the pittance of extra heat Marshall brings to an OOC game, versus like a Bowling Green, don't mean shhh. It's real easy to turn Marshall down, and Marshall plays along for some reason.

I will admit though, sometimes I wish Marshall would take a one-and-done just so I could poop in your stadium again.

Reactions: mlblack16.
[QUOTE="herdalicious, post: I wish Marshall would take a one-and-done just so I could poop in your stadium again.[/QUOTE]
It's funny you say that. I used to go to work from Huntington to Hagerstown every Monday morning and return every Friday. I would make it a point to stop each way every week just to take a crap in Morgantown. I would never spend a penny there. If I needed gas I would stop in Fairmont or I Maryland. All I did was use their water supply and water purification facility

Examining how they are 12-0 would require more focus than what I believe you're willing to put in, but ok.

It took ohio state 15 games to beat Michigan when they first began playing...but at least they played every year.

They had no choice being in the same league

About to say, there is unlikely to be a choice in this situation. Hamrick and Lyons aren't going to get (more Lyons than Hamrick) anyone else.
Doubtful osu and UM would ever break their annual game if they weren't. Even in divisions, they made sure it happened, if it meant the conference had to make its own changes.

Do you think the NCAA is going to allow wvu to break protocol that FSU, PSU, Alabama, etc have to follow? They'd take wvu's status as an NCAA school in retaliation and tell them to piss up a rope.
Wvu is more needing to do this than MU. Hamrick can use that to make it worth to MU to do so.
If wvu's gonna kill MU on the field, make it worth it to MU in doing so.
Wvu wants to avoid playing a team they have a 12-0 record against but think a team with a 48-9 record against them is somehow worth it?
wvu needs to suck it up and realize they'll have no choice but to make it happen if EKU can't play.

Remember the last time WVU "offered" to play Marshall. It was a one-off game to be played in Morgantown - and they offered Marshall something like $100-150,000 for the game. Especially bad when they were paying other G5 schools $350,000 and up.

This was done just so they could tell the public - "We offered Marshall an opportunity - and they turned us down."

So, what makes anyone think there would be a "fair and equitable" offer to play up there?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would guess you're discounting the fact 99.52% of the nation couldn't care less about the game. That's roughly the WV population in relationship to the total population of the United States. It would be the same reason you likely wouldn't partake in watching South Alabama vs Alabama, or Texas State vs Texas, or even Kent State vs Ohio State.

We are a much better known product than the G5s you mentioned and wvu is far from the blue bloods in your post. But, I do get the point you are trying to make.

WVU's future football schedules for the next several years feature 11 games against P-5 opponents. The 12th game is ALWAYS going to be a home game, probably against someone from the G-5 or FCS. And that game will be played very early in the season when the weather is nice and a crowd of 55,000 or 60,000 will attend no matter who the opponent is, and that opponent will leave with a hefty paycheck in return. For our teams to ever meet again MU would have to realize WVU's position.

Basketball side of the matter - D'Antoni went on record as having opinion that WVU should play in Charleston and Morgantown one year, and Huntington and Charleston the next year. You'd have a hard time finding any member of a major conference that schedules two games every year with someone from outside of their own conference.

So tell me SamC, what do you mean exactly by fair terms regarding WVU football and basketball vs Marshall?

Currently, the open dates you have do not coincide with the the date we have available. The teams we are scheduled to play are institutions we have a nice working relationship with and Boise State. Also, you do not pay the premium that we have received in the 2 one and done contracts we have signed recently. So, how does this make sense for us from a scheduling standpoint?

I would watch the $hit out of all of those games right about now.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We are a much better known product than the G5s you mentioned and wvu is far from the blue bloods in your post. But, I do get the point you are trying to make.
Actually, given the circumstances, (P5’s conference schedules already set) and given the likelihood that few, if any P5’s have conference games scheduled for week #2, I think the chances of an ESPN family of channels being interested are decent. The 2 teams have never played on a neutral field, and there is enough infrastructure at the Greenbriar to handle the rooms and team meetings, etc. Treat it like a bowl game. Maybe they open the underground bomb shelter - I hear it’s huge. If WVU really needs the game more than we do, why not negotiate something the Guv would love to see happen on his property.....

About to say, there is unlikely to be a choice in this situation. Hamrick and Lyons aren't going to get (more Lyons than Hamrick) anyone else.
Doubtful osu and UM would ever break their annual game if they weren't. Even in divisions, they made sure it happened, if it meant the conference had to make its own changes.

Do you think the NCAA is going to allow wvu to break protocol that FSU, PSU, Alabama, etc have to follow? They'd take wvu's status as an NCAA school in retaliation and tell them to piss up a rope.
Wvu is more needing to do this than MU. Hamrick can use that to make it worth to MU to do so.
If wvu's gonna kill MU on the field, make it worth it to MU in doing so.
Wvu wants to avoid playing a team they have a 12-0 record against but think a team with a 48-9 record against them is somehow worth it?
wvu needs to suck it up and realize they'll have no choice but to make it happen if EKU can't play.

this is good comedy. WVU needs a game with us more than we do? Please explain this logic, if it can be done.
Shane Lyons said yesterday they are in talks with multiple schools for a game .
You sound like a jilted middle schooler wanting to dance with the pretty girl.
Move on. I am confident Mike will make it work for us with an added hone game, if it comes to that. Which is better for us.

true, but we're going to drop the series if they end up beating us 15 times in a row, which is starting to look likely.

While both are in the same conference, ask OSU if they ever want to drop OU from the schedule.
Vice versa would apply as well, except OU would say, "We enjoy beating little brother every year, we'll gladly take the guaranteed win."

Seriously, anyone who actually has a legit reason to say someone isn't worth playing in-state is OU against OSU...its quite possibly the most lopsided I've ever seen, lol.

Clearly reading the article is beyond you...you ****ing idiot.
Schools are going to have to play in-state to reduce potential COVID infection, mandated by the conferences. It makes wvu needing to play MU more than MU needing to play them since its the P5 conferences wanting to do this.
You sound like a dumb**** who doesn't work to learn shit, just reads headlines or finds clues in comments, and spews idiocy as a result.

the big 12 hasn’t even decided on what they want to do
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-12-game-10-game-options-for-this-season/amp/

It took ohio state 15 games to beat Michigan when they first began playing...but at least they played every year.

Yeah, and it took WVU over 30 years and about the same number of games from around the mid 1950s to manage one win over Penn State. The PSU folks weren't about to give up a yearly sure thing easy win so they continued to regularly play the Neers until they joined the Big 10. Even though even today they look down on WVU and consider them to be lower than what EER fans thought of us when we started playing them while still a FCS program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT