ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, not attending

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
I refuse to attend funerals. Any funeral, any person. I have stopped by for a moment during visitation to express my condolences, but I refuse to attend a service.

This has caused some hard feelings among some family and friends. I’m I being too insensitive? Not that I will change if I am.

Reactions: 30CAT
so i guess this means yore not coming to mine?

shaun-respect-shaun.gif

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
I largely feel the same way. At my grandfathers everyone else was like hugging the body or touching it or whatever and I’m like no, I remember the last time I hugged him. He was warm and alive. Hugging a cold corpse is not what I want my last memory to be. I’d prefer not to go to any funeral but I’ll do it out of obligation to the living. I’ve been clear to my wife that I don’t give a shit what she does when I die and I guess just to light me on fire since she seems opposed to just tossing me in the bin.

Hate them, but funerals aren’t for the dead. You are supporting those close to the deceased. I wouldn’t go to a funeral of someone I knew if I didn’t know their family. That’s kind of pointless IMO.

I am thinking about getting cremated. Cheaper that way. Had an uncle die and he only has immediate family there. Sons, daughters, grandkids, wife. they said the guy at the mortuary asked them if they wanted to push the button that started the fire. They didn't do it. They dumped his ashes on a golf course.

I am thinking about getting cremated. Cheaper that way. Had an uncle die and he only has immediate family there. Sons, daughters, grandkids, wife. they said the guy at the mortuary asked them if they wanted to push the button that started the fire. They didn't do it. They dumped his ashes on a golf course.

I always thought that too but some families want a burial/grave site to visit, etc. If they don't care then yeah, let's go ashes.

I don't care at all. I'm game for whatever the family that still gives a damn about me wants.

Reactions: i am herdman
I refuse to attend funerals. Any funeral, any person. I have stopped by for a moment during visitation to express my condolences, but I refuse to attend a service.

This has caused some hard feelings among some family and friends. I’m I being too insensitive? Not that I will change if I am.

Not at all. Nothing wrong with not wanting the last time you see a loved one, is seeing them dead.

We all are different and there is no wrong way to grieve.

I have left detailed instructions for upon my death. Cremation, part of my ashes to be thrown into the wind off a particular rock cliff at Dolly Sods (which is east-facing, so no one gets a Big Lebowski moment with the ashes blowing back). No funeral, but I do want friends and family to gather to eat and have some drinks. I have a playlist for the gathering, which I update every few months in case I hear another song I want on it. Also fireworks, there will be fireworks because fireworks are cool.

Anybody who hasn't opted in to be an organ donor and/or donated to science is a selfish piece-of-shit. If you're gone, why would you not want to be used any way possible to help others live? Anything remaining of you can still be buried or cremated if that is what you/your loved ones want.

I mentioned this story before, but when I was at Texas State, there was a body farm just miles down a back road from me. There were dozens of bodies scattered around the acreage, some purposely hidden with foliage for police investigation research purposes, that the deceased had opted in for science. I always thought that was noble of them.

Funerals/funeral homes are a money grab. My mom's best friend's parents owned multiple funeral homes, and they made a small fortune with them during their time. As others have said, I don't want people's last visuals of me to be a wax figure in a casket with them crying over me. I don't want people spending their time in sorrow at calling hours. I'd rather you take that time to be with your family, volunteer to help somebody, etc. Grieve me in your own time and be there for others. Use me as an organ donor/science, cremate the rest, and put me with other family who has been cremated.

Hate them, but funerals aren’t for the dead. You are supporting those close to the deceased. I wouldn’t go to a funeral of someone I knew if I didn’t know their family. That’s kind of pointless IMO.
Disagree, and Jesus, you're really an inconsiderate and unthoughtful person.

It's out of honor and respect for the deceased. Even if you didn't know the family, if you cared about the deceased, you would want their loved ones (family and other friends) to know how much he/she was loved and respected. That is part of healing for the family of the deceased, and I assure you, the deceased would want that of you for the sake of their family.

When my brother passed, my mother and I didn't have a service. We were too emotionally distraught to have one in a normal timeframe, but his friends had a gathering in memory. Over 2.5 years later, I have kept his phone on, because he still gets calls/texts from old friends/business associates who are not aware and are reaching out to him to catch-up. Being the one to have to break the news to each old friend is the same nightmare over-and-over, but hearing their stories and condolences does help.

Funerals/funeral homes are a money grab.
Amen. I still remember the funeral director trying to convince my elderly distraught aunt into buying a higher grade casket by telling her the more expensive model would better keep the water off her deceased husband.

I have left detailed instructions for upon my death. Cremation, part of my ashes to be thrown into the wind off a particular rock cliff at Dolly Sods (which is east-facing, so no one gets a Big Lebowski moment with the ashes blowing back). No funeral, but I do want friends and family to gather to eat and have some drinks. I have a playlist for the gathering, which I update every few months in case I hear another song I want on it. Also fireworks, there will be fireworks because fireworks are cool.
Great, I get your shitty dust on the roof of my house.

Anybody who hasn't opted in to be an organ donor and/or donated to science is a selfish piece-of-shit. If you're gone, why would you not want to be used any way possible to help others live? Anything remaining of you can still be buried or cremated if that is what you/your loved ones want.

True or not, it's in some people's heads that maybe a doctor wouldn't be so quick to save a "deplorable's" life, if they are a donor, in order to save an elitist's life with deep pockets.

I'm a donor, so don't start your shit, but I can understand the feelings of some who refuse to be a donor based on that.

Bill Gates needs a kidney and we have a match, in critical condition, clinging to life who was in a car crash and is just an average Joe. How hard will the doctors work to save his life?

As I said, I can understand why people have second thoughts on being a donor.

You shouldn't selfishly look at it from one side.

I mentioned this story before, but when I was at Texas State, there was a body farm just miles down a back road from me. There were dozens of bodies scattered around the acreage, some purposely hidden with foliage for police investigation research purposes, that the deceased had opted in for science. I always thought that was noble of them.

Funerals/funeral homes are a money grab. My mom's best friend's parents owned multiple funeral homes, and they made a small fortune with them during their time. As others have said, I don't want people's last visuals of me to be a wax figure in a casket with them crying over me. I don't want people spending their time in sorrow at calling hours. I'd rather you take that time to be with your family, volunteer to help somebody, etc. Grieve me in your own time and be there for others. Use me as an organ donor/science, cremate the rest, and put me with other family who has been cremated.

Disagree, and Jesus, you're really an inconsiderate and unthoughtful person.

It's out of honor and respect for the deceased. Even if you didn't know the family, if you cared about the deceased, you would want their loved ones (family and other friends) to know how much he/she was loved and respected. That is part of healing for the family of the deceased, and I assure you, the deceased would want that of you for the sake of their family.

When my brother passed, my mother and I didn't have a service. We were too emotionally distraught to have one in a normal timeframe, but his friends had a gathering in memory. Over 2.5 years later, I have kept his phone on, because he still gets calls/texts from old friends/business associates who are not aware and are reaching out to him to catch-up. Being the one to have to break the news to each old friend is the same nightmare over-and-over, but hearing their stories and condolences does help.
"this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy."

• Haha
Reactions: 30CAT
True or not, it's in some people's heads that maybe a doctor wouldn't be so quick to save a "deplorable's" life, if they are a donor, in order to save an elitist's life with deep pockets.

I'm a donor, so don't start your shit, but I can understand the feelings of some who refuse to be a donor based on that.

Bill Gates needs a kidney and we have a match, in critical condition, clinging to life who was in a car crash and is just an average Joe. How hard will the doctors work to save his life?

As I said, I can understand why people have second thoughts on being a donor.

You shouldn't selfishly look at it from one side.
Oh, another one of those conspiracies where the rich are evil.

Conspiracy theory? 😂

For the love of money is the root of ALL evil.
Moron, not all of those who are wealthy in your eyes "love" money or have done anything unethical to get it. And even if they did, that has nothing to do with your conspiracy theory where you are claiming that medical professionals - those who take an oath - would try helping save the life of a wealthier person over a middle-income person.

Doctors don’t have to get organs from poorer people to use on the rich. They can simply harvest body parts from the homeless who are sleeping on park benches ( urban legend).

Reactions: riflearm2
Moron, not all of those who are wealthy in your eyes "love" money or have done anything unethical to get it. And even if they did, that has nothing to do with your conspiracy theory where you are claiming that medical professionals - those who take an oath - would try helping save the life of a wealthier person over a middle-income person.

Is it a conspiracy? Pedo-Joe took an oath to protect our borders. How did that turn out?

Middle income? How about no income?

It's plausible and you know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT