ADVERTISEMENT

Spears Announcement On Huff

As someone else said, it’s the I am in charge letter when you know he’s not really in charge

I'd say we better spend big time cash on an offensive line coach but who can we actually get on possibly a one year deal?

Maybe Huff can get a guy with a checkered past like he did with his Defensive coordinator the first time around.lol

Is anyone surprised?

Our fanbase sure likes to pretend to be of high standards, but are nowhere to be found when asked to pony up some cash to pay Huff's contract buyout.
They complain about how expensive (it's not) games are already. Highly doubtful the MU AD has seen a sizeable increase in money with the specific note of "Huff's buyout."

Doc had a worse record in 2016 and he wasn't fired. Granted, he had multiple 10 win seasons and had just won the conference a few years prior.
I guess Huff has Notre Dame to fall back on, as evidence he CAN win.

As said by a few on here, he's going to fire his coordinators and some coaches but he will ultimately stay on for the remainder of his contract.

It's kind of a win/win situation if you think about it...

Huff wants out ASAP, so he does need to have a good showing on his resume to maximize the number of potential programs to hire him away.
MU doesn't have to pay the pesky buyout in his contract but also has to hope an 8 win season isn't his ceiling...if it is, then we endure and find a new HC...but we save money in the process.
If it isn't then good for MU and hope we win out and win the SBC, but seeing this team isn't giving me much confidence that'll happen.

Once more, it's the gamble that MU is gonna have to face until someone just decides they like it enough here to stay longer than 1 season.

Extension forthcoming. It is not Marshall's nature to fire head coaches. Snyder got extended, Dan has been extended twice, and Doc was here for a decade.

The Championship or Bust attitude left this university 20 years ago and Marcum's "we do with what we got little old Marshall" attitude spread and hasn't left.

• Sad
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Extension forthcoming. It is not Marshall's nature to fire head coaches. Snyder got extended, Dan has been extended twice, and Doc was here for a decade.

The Championship or Bust attitude left this university 20 years ago and Marcum's "we do with what we got little old Marshall" attitude spread and hasn't left.

Pretty sure Doc was fired since he had a year left on his contract?
Doc also got an extension shortly after he won the CUSA title I believe.
It would look odd if a school said, "Hey, thanks for the conference championship but we've decided to go in a different direction and we're uh, letting you go."

Wasn't Hamrick replaced as well as the president?

The stench of mediocrity under Marcum, was slowly but surely removed. Again, I credit the previous and current leadership in doing so.

let's start a Go Fund Me account to take donations to buy Huff's contract out!

I'd say we better spend big time cash on an offensive line coach but who can we actually get on possibly a one year deal?

Maybe Huff can get a guy with a checkered past like he did with his Defensive coordinator the first time around.lol
OL coach. Would you be willing to package the Tricketts? That is Rick ( the dad) comes in as OL coach but only if Clint stays as OC I believe Rick is still coaching for Jacksonville state

It would look odd if a school said, "Hey, thanks for the conference championship but we've decided to go in a different direction and we're uh, letting you go."

The stench of mediocrity under Marcum, was slowly but surely removed. Again, I credit the previous and current leadership in doing so.
There's still a good bit of it left. We've been told in recent years that to even believe that the 90s-00s could be attained again was unrealistic.

Dan is below average and keeps getting extended and here we are in year 3 of 4 of a coach that's performance has declined.

Reactions: wbcraig

I am pretty sure Doc was at the end of his contract. Time just ran out.

One that wants to become HC. I'm almost positive that's why Lewis ended up at Colorado.

That was going to be my response. An OC who could see it as a HCIW opportunity.

Now we’re in trouble. We’re playing an extra game with the worst offensive line in the league, a quarterback who can’t throw, the worst coach who needs to be fired and we’re going to probably the worst bowl game ever conceived in probably a town where the weather is too warm where we have to be near unsatisfied alumni. I hope people on this board are satisfied. But not to worry, we’ll suffer through it hopefully with out you.

CS is tone deaf to what is going on. Take a look at those stands, CS. The fan base has figured it out. They understand that CH is no a head coach and is not going to ever get it done. And they voted with their feet and stayed away.

In his arrogance, CS offers up another year of the same old thing (except that we will not catch ECU and VPI at all time low points again). Take it or leave it. It seems many, if not most, are leaving it.

CS, in his arrogance, is now 100% tied to CH. They are an entry. 1 and 1A. CH's failures, and there will be plenty next year, are CS's failures.

Both must go. CS is killing this program.

CS is tone deaf to what is going on. Take a look at those stands, CS. The fan base has figured it out. They understand that CH is no a head coach and is not going to ever get it done. And they voted with their feet and stayed away.

In his arrogance, CS offers up another year of the same old thing (except that we will not catch ECU and VPI at all time low points again). Take it or leave it. It seems many, if not most, are leaving it.

CS, in his arrogance, is now 100% tied to CH. They are an entry. 1 and 1A. CH's failures, and there will be plenty next year, are CS's failures.

I wouldn’t say CS is killing the program… I think he’s taking the cautious route. The coaching staff is going to be revamped. He’d be killing the program if he extended Huff (which would’ve been done in the past).

Marshall can’t get into the buyout wars of buying coaches out every 2-3 years.

What assistant is going to take a job with a coach on his last year of contract?
lets face it, all HC are on a 1 yr contract. Just look at Jimbo Fishers 10 yr contract. He's out and what good was that 10 yr contract for the assistant coaches?

let's start a Go Fund Me account to take donations to buy Huff's contract out!
The last time that actually had any "serious" approach was some idiot in Barboursville tried to buyout Doc's contract which was close to a million dollars.
The fool got maybe $150.00...and lord knows if he ever gave it back once the GoFundMe was over and he had monumentally failed.

I wouldn’t say CS is killing the program… I think he’s taking the cautious route.
Look at those stands. The fan base has figured it out. Another year of CH losing and yesterday will look like a great crowd. CS is 100% responsible for all those empty seats. He is the man who will not fire CH.
The coaching staff is going to be revamped.
So the same guy who hired these losers is going to hire different losers.
Marshall can’t get into the buyout wars of buying coaches out every 2-3 years.
We cannot afford to draw 7 or 8 thousand per game, which is what we did yesterday. We cannot afford to be just a field filler in some backwater league, which is what we are.

But if we cannot "afford" good coaches, then we don't belong in I-A. Call up the SoCon or, heck, the Mountain East and beg for a spot. Cannot wait to play Concord and West Liberty.
Spears statement is also a warning for DD.
DD has 10000 times more power than CS. Keeping DD was the price of getting this job for CS. No one will ever know how many qualified AD candidates turned down the deal, before they found this character. We are now seeing the results of settling for someone willing to turn the #2 program in the school over to political concerns is.

Goddamn Sam, just shut up.
Not like your broke ass is going to walk into the MU president's office with a check to buyout the two most important positions in the AD.

Spears is doing the sensible, rational thing, both of which elude you so I don't expect you to understand.

Just do what you do best...posting game times and updates to soccer...hoping that nobody is reminded of how critical you were of that program who has promptly shut you up.

No, I will continue to talk. Saying true things. So true that all you can do about it is curse the Deity.

So losing is "sensible". Good to know. You accept mediocrity.

No, I will continue to talk. Saying true things. So true that all you can do about it is curse the Deity.

So losing is "sensible". Good to know. You accept mediocrity.
Show us how Doc’s results, overall, weren’t mediocre.

Spears is the one we need to worry about. He’s done more in one year than the last two AD’s combined.
I would be glad to help load CS's U-Haul should some big school be foolish enough to hire him.

What exactly has he "done"?

- Baseball? Nope, Big Jim, the first Marshall grad governor in living memory (yes I know Earl Ray dodged the draft by getting a masters here after he matriculated at USPAM, that doesn't count) had a bucket of c****19 money he literally could spend on anything, and he built us a baseball field. Thanks, Big Jim. CS had nothing to do with it.

- Scoreboards? MU has been in the same contract with the same company for 34 years. Every so often we get new scoreboards in return for the ad space on them. So you can thank the AD from back then. Lynn Snyder, maybe?

- Women's basketball? Fired a bad coach, hired a successful coach from a small college. So far, she is 5 games in. See me in 4 years.

- The SBC? For all the CUSA hate, one G5 is the same as the next. The SBC seems to be better run, and more competitive, but it takes butts in seats to pay for it, and our bad teams cannot draw flies. Anyway, this was going to happen, no matter who was AD. The only person against it was DD, for whatever reason.

That is it. The basketball arena and the football stadium remain with unsellable seats tarped over.

Because he has failed at the two biggest jobs he has had.

Firing DD and CH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT