ADVERTISEMENT

Spears annual review

Was that him though? I know schedules are usually made years ahead of time. Kudos to him if so.
Yes, it was made after we had an opening in the schedule, I think it was due to Navy cancelling. I may be wrong on that though.
Nonetheless, it was a recent issue that had to be scheduled.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Thunder - I’m almost positive you don’t mean tOSU in The Joan? Even the Good Lord couldn’t swing that!
My point is since Spears has been here he’s scheduled home games against Middle Tennessee and two FCS games, correct me if I’m missing any. We’d have a buy game against someone else if it wasn’t Ohio State though I guess them being nearby is a plus. Obviously Ohio State isn’t coming to Huntington but Hamrick managed to get several power conference teams in the Joan. Maybe I’m not giving Spears enough time in this department.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
My point is since Spears has been here he’s scheduled home games against Middle Tennessee and two FCS games, correct me if I’m missing any. We’d have a buy game against someone else if it wasn’t Ohio State though I guess them being nearby is a plus. Obviously Ohio State isn’t coming to Huntington but Hamrick managed to get several power conference teams in the Joan. Maybe I’m not giving Spears enough time in this department.

You and this board: "MU needs to accept the G5 is going to be further separated from the top tier power programs. We should just stick together and worry about ourselves. It's become the 'have's and have not's' at this point. We'll be lucky if the power programs even give a damn about us."

Also you: "Our AD isn't very good, he can't schedule a home game against a P5."

Do some of you really stupidly think the AD can simply pick up a phone and poof, schedule against power programs??

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Schedules are made years in advance. He's been here almost 2 years exactly. Not making excuses but this stuff takes time for any AD. Getting a P5 to come here with the way things are going in college football will be extremely difficult going forward. jmho

Exactly...yet some simpletons on here think it's easy to do.

What really sucks is Spears could schedule Duke for a 1:1 and people on here would complain, "Duke isn't a football school."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
There's a real possibility we may never see a so-called "power conference" school in Huntington ever again -- unless we're willing to do 2-for-1 deals. Virginia Tech in 2023 may go down as the last "P5" or "P4" team to ever play at the Joan. Not exaggerating.

I use "quotes" because the whole thing is overblown by media snobs. There are 15-20 legit blue blood, power schools and then there's everyone else. The ACC and Big 12 are full of programs that, from a consistent on-field competitive standpoint, play at the same level as us and most of our Sun Belt peers.

Hell, in a down year for Marshall, we beat the ACC's No. 4 team and lost by one score on the road vs. the ACC's No. 3 team. We've typically competed well with ACC opponents.

All that to say, it's ridiculous those types of programs that are on/around our competitive level are able to snub their nose at a home-and-home with us just because of their conference affiliation.

There's a real possibility we may never see a so-called "power conference" school in Huntington ever again -- unless we're willing to do 2-for-1 deals. Virginia Tech in 2023 may go down as the last "P5" or "P4" team to ever play at the Joan. Not exaggerating.

I use "quotes" because the whole thing is overblown by media snobs. There are 15-20 legit blue blood, power schools and then there's everyone else. The ACC and Big 12 are full of programs that, from a consistent on-field competitive standpoint, play at the same level as us and most of our Sun Belt peers.

Hell, in a down year for Marshall, we beat the ACC's No. 4 team and lost by one score on the road vs. the ACC's No. 3 team. We've typically competed well with ACC opponents.

All that to say, it's ridiculous those types of programs that are on/around our competitive level are able to snub their nose at a home-and-home with us just because of their conference affiliation.

I don't think they like it any more than we do.
Plenty of rivalries are dead because of the greed, which has shown it drives college football more than anything.

The conferences are going to be oversaturated with competitive teams, they'll take whatever wins they can get, which would largely come from the G5 at this point.

When VT came to Huntington this past summer Spears said something along the lines of "make sure to come out, because it might be a long time until we see another P5 in Huntington".

I didn't read that as "oh, this guy's not even trying", but more so that's just the way college football is now - like other's have mentioned.

Back on topic, I like the Spears hire. In my opinion, when the day comes that he leaves, I think we'll reflect fondly on his time here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT