ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Either our defense is really good or our offense is really bad has been the story all spring. Tough to tell when you don’t play your best offensive player and the QB that is the likely starter.

Reactions: RhinoD
Either our defense is really good or our offense is really bad has been the story all spring. Tough to tell when you don’t play your best offensive player and the QB that is the likely starter.
Who is the likely starter at QB??

Our front seven will be very good. And it’s showing in the spring. New OL and new QB mean they will take time to gel. D is well ahead of the O at this point

Reactions: Dalton69
Scarcelle always seems to look good on the field during these, then plays very little during the season.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Our front seven will be very good. And it’s showing in the spring. New OL and new QB mean they will take time to gel. D is well ahead of the O at this point
Offensive line play is always important... This year it's critical.

In order to move the ball, especially early on, we will need to be able to run it consistently and not get behind the chains.

Offensive line play is always important... This year it's critical.

In order to move the ball, especially early on, we will need to be able to run it consistently and not get behind the chains.
We have very good backs to do that. Hopefully a small hole will be enough. Maybe the staff can run plays that take the heat off the OL to a degree until that gel and get in sync.

Reactions: RhinoD
Plays where they don't have to hold blocks as long as a north south. The TE's and WR's can help on the edges. What do you recommend?
We block better. I think it’s a myth to believe it’s “holding their blocks” as a problem You can either block or you can’t no sub set of your plays is going to help that

Reactions: Jartard and JudgeDD
We block better. I think it’s a myth to believe it’s “holding their blocks” as a problem You can either block or you can’t no sub set of your plays is going to help that
I was speaking more to the line gelling and coming together. I think we have talent in the first five or so, just take some time to get them all on the same page. jmo

Well, yes and no, I believe. There are certainly play calls that can hide, in a sense, certain weaknesses on the OL. The quick-passing game, for example, makes it difficult for the defense to get to the QB even without great pass-blocking. A good zone-blocking scheme can take advantage of the movement of the DL to create running lanes instead of having to root them out. A zone-read series will let you to leave one defender unblocked, thus allowing more help at the POA. A well-designed RPO can make it so a single defender can't make the right choice. Rolling your QB cuts down the field, but also decreases the number of defenders that can give you trouble.

Now, I don't believe that a coach can hide a completely deficient OL for long. But I do think you can be smart about the plays you call to give your team a little help.

Well, yes and no, I believe. There are certainly play calls that can hide, in a sense, certain weaknesses on the OL. The quick-passing game, for example, makes it difficult for the defense to get to the QB even without great pass-blocking. A good zone-blocking scheme can take advantage of the movement of the DL to create running lanes instead of having to root them out. A zone-read series will let you to leave one defender unblocked, thus allowing more help at the POA. A well-designed RPO can make it so a single defender can't make the right choice. Rolling your QB cuts down the field, but also decreases the number of defenders that can give you trouble.

Now, I don't believe that a coach can hide a completely deficient OL for long. But I do think you can be smart about the plays you call to give your team a little help.
What I say is , you have to be able to block, because if you can’t, you can’t run any scheme. You can’t hide a whole game or whole season , with a poor OL

Reactions: JudgeDD
Coaches have to identify what our offensive line's strength is and play to it... Are we a power run group? A zone blocking group? An RPO group?

Don't try to do everything and do it half-assed, figure out what our line does well and run plays accordingly.

Why exactly was the spring game played indoors? The turf was still down and fans were on the field.

Why exactly was the spring game played indoors? The turf was still down and fans were on the field.
fishing-sassy.gif

Reactions: ru4_mu2
I honestly think our Oline will be fine in the running game. The key (weakness) will be in the passing game. Footwork is tantamount there.

Judge, correct me if I am wrong..

ADVERTISEMENT