ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium to Broadcast HHS-Hurricane Football Game 10/5

TwolfHerdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2007
Stadium will be broadcasting the Huntington - Hurricane football game on Friday, October 5th at Huntington. Meaning they'll be competing with the Herd - MT game at the Joan that same evening. Hoping they would have moved that game to Saturday so fans of the HS teams and MU wouldn't have to choose. ugh!

Great opportunity for HHS. Who failed to ask Stadium TV about the MU vs MTSU which had already been scheduled that night?

Who failed to ask Stadium TV about the MU vs MTSU which had already been scheduled that night?

The MU-MTSU game has been scheduled for CBS Sports Network since early last spring. I'm pretty sure the folks at WCHS/WVAH know how to read the schedule.

This game, and they will do this every week, is just on the local Stadium TV channel (11.2 with an antenna, on most cable systems) produced locally by WCHS/WVAH, which is just taking down whatever is on Stadium's national feed on Friday nights for local football.

The MU-MTSU game has been scheduled for CBS Sports Network since early last spring. I'm pretty sure the folks at WCHS/WVAH know how to read the schedule.

This game, and they will do this every week, is just on the local Stadium TV channel (11.2 with an antenna, on most cable systems) produced locally by WCHS/WVAH, which is just taking down whatever is on Stadium's national feed on Friday nights for local football.

Not so much about viewers as people attending. Now those who have kids attending, playing for, or participating in band, cheerleading, etc. who otherwise would attend the MU game will be attending the HHS - Hurricane game instead. Don’t blame them but yeah, someone should have looked at the MU schedule. Jmho

Don’t blame them but yeah, someone should have looked at the MU schedule. Jmho

That is a different discussion, and one that applies not just to this one game on an obscure TV channel, but to every game played across the tri-state that friday. Same discussion goes on all across the country for every Friday night game, of which there are more than a dozen, and to a lesser extent every non-Saturday game.

IMHO, the universal response from every HS in the entire region, since they have nearly 6 month's notice of this issue every time it comes up, would be to call up the other school and get the game moved to thursday or saturday.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Stadium will be broadcasting the Huntington - Hurricane football game on Friday, October 5th at Huntington. Meaning they'll be competing with the Herd - MT game at the Joan that same evening. Hoping they would have moved that game to Saturday so fans of the HS teams and MU wouldn't have to choose. ugh!
this type of post is the epitome of being around Huntington WV.

I predict the Herd will have between 20,000 and 28,000 fans at the MTSU game, regardless of what else may be scheduled during that time frame.

Closer to 20,000 if the weather is bad, and/or if the team is 1-4 or 2-3 at that point. Closer to 28,000 if the weather is decent, and/or if the team is 4-1 or 3-2 at that point.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I would think any mid major program fighting for fans would have the same issue. Attendance will likely suffer - sadly.
Maybe. But, other than the parents of kids playing, in the band, cheerleaders, etc. who would chose one game over the other? I can't imagine going you know what honey I was thinking about going to the Marshall game but instead I want to go watch the Hurricane vs Huntington game instead. We from Barboursville honey but I really want to see that Hurricane vs Huntington game.

Maybe. But, other than the parents of kids playing, in the band, cheerleaders, etc. who would chose one game over the other? I can't imagine going you know what honey I was thinking about going to the Marshall game but instead I want to go watch the Hurricane vs Huntington game instead. We from Barboursville honey but I really want to see that Hurricane vs Huntington game.

Unfortunately, while you and I know the obvious choice, it's not that easy for many. Many Huntington and Hurricane fans are big fans of the Herd; but it is what it is. Just stupid oversight by the schools. jmho

Many in the high school ranks are adamant that high school football is played on Fridays nights and ONLY on Friday nights.

Yes, they are going up against the Herd on Friday night. From their prospective, however, think about what they are up against if the high school game is shifted to Saturday afternoon. Not only are the high schools competing for fans against about a ZILLION college games being shown on cable and satellite TV, the internet, Facebook, etc., etc., including local teams like OSU, UK, WVU, etc., but as we all know from MU's attempts to play early afternoon games on Saturday: that time slot is for YOUTH sports, youth football, youth soccer, youth blah, blah, blah!!!

It is probably a loss of 50 to 100 people from the Herd game, per HS game played in conflict. I don't have access to KY or OH schedules, but looking at the WVSSAC's website, I come up with these schools playing in what I would consider our main draw area, that night:

Cabell-Midland @ Belfry, KY
Wayne @ Herbert Hoover
Valley @ Lincoln County
Logan @ Scott (Madison)
Mingo Central @ Nitro
Poca @ Winfield
South Charleston @ Woodrow Wilson (Beckley)
Riverside @ Spring Valley
Mt. View @ Tolsia
Van @ Tug Valley
Waterford, OH @ Wahama

IMHO, it is just an avoidable situation. We announce non-Saturday games many months in advance. It falls on the principals and coaches locally to get these games moved. Because it certainly hurts them more than it hurts us. We are costing them plenty of live gate.

Reactions: Herdmeister
The HHS vs HHS game is a no go according to Mark Martin from tv 8 and 11. He cited the conflict with the MU game, Southern at Ravenswood will replace the Htgn game.

The HHS vs HHS game is a no go according to Mark Martin from tv 8 and 11. He cited the conflict with the MU game, Southern at Ravenswood will replace the Htgn game.

They are still playing, just not a TV game. The HHS homecoming dance is that Saturday night so no chance of moving the game.

They are still playing, just not a TV game. The HHS homecoming dance is that Saturday night so no chance of moving the game.

Yes, it’s a given the high school game is still on. I know many Tri State high school AD’s and their almost blanket stance is they are not changing schedules and most don’t give two s**ts about Marshall’s problems.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes, it’s a given the high school game is still on. I know many Tri State high school AD’s and their almost blanket stance is they are not changing schedules and most don’t give two s**ts about Marshall’s problems.

Sadly, that's true.

It’s amazing to me that people in the Huntington area, whether it’s in WV, Ohio or Ky have no idea that if Marshall didn’t exist Huntington and all of the feeder towns around Huntington wouldn’t exist either.

My gosh how hard is it to work with Marshall when you are scheduling your games. It can’t be that hard.

Reactions: pdbailey
I know many Tri State high school AD’s and their almost blanket stance is they are not changing schedules and most don’t give two s**ts about Marshall’s problems.

Probably true.

And totally stupid on their part, because they (with 5 or 6 games to fund their whole deal) are losing WAY more people to the Herd game than we are to them. Who goes to HS football games after HS other than moms, dad, other relatives, and teachers?

Probably true.

And totally stupid on their part, because they (with 5 or 6 games to fund their whole deal) are losing WAY more people to the Herd game than we are to them. Who goes to HS football games after HS other than moms, dad, other relatives, and teachers?

You would be shocked. Hell, the whole town of Wayne attends their games. Spring Valley has a pretty good community following, as do most schools not in Huntington. As you said, a little communication would help all involved.

ADVERTISEMENT