ADVERTISEMENT

Steward Butler Catches a Break

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
I am sure this discussion will inevitably lead to the thread heading over to the off-topic board, but I thought I would start it here since Butler is involved.

In a 3-2 decision, the WV Supreme Court ruled that the law on the books doesn't cover hate crimes based on homosexuality/sexual orientation. As a result, Butler's charge of violating a person's civil rights will be dropped.

It is an interesting case for those interested in these types of things. Justice Workman made an interesting and strong dissenting opinion. It is a sad statement on the state when there have been 26 attempts for "sexual orientation" to be included on the statute over the last 30 years, but each of those have failed:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virginia-supreme-court-rules-anti-gay-assaults/story?id=47352792

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I actually agreed with the majority opinion - the legislative branch makes and changes laws, not the judicial, so unless they over-stepped, there wasn't anything they could do as far as making it a hate crime.

Stew Butler not being punished enough for hitting two guys on the street for kissing isn't nearly as big of an issue as the state not having codified sexual orientation protections. We should add them, and we shouldn't stop there.

We're the only state in the union that is losing population - we should have signs up at the borders "WELCOME ALL YOU GAYS." Sorry, but if you really want WV to be Great Again, you're gonna have to accept some new neighbors.

Rifle, in typical liberal fashion, would rather have the judicial branch legislate rather than follow the law

Reactions: The Real SamC
This was a great ruling. At no point did Stew use derogertory comments in the video other than "Your mother don't like that shit" which is probably the Truth as most gays live a life of secrecy.

Second, there is no evidence in the video he actually struck the 2 fairies. Also if these was straight guys, nobody would have even known about the incident. Nobody.

Great Work by the WV Supreme Court.

I've always said, he should have been charged with Assualt and Battery and let the courts decided if the crime actually happened.

A lifestyle is not a protected group and the fairies Nationwide need to understand that.

Rifle, in typical liberal fashion, would rather have the judicial branch legislate rather than follow the law

Really? Point out where I inferred anything like that. I didn't. In other words, your claim is bogus.

I pointed out that a dissenting opinion was a strong argument. I'd ask you to refute her opinion, but I know you aren't bright enough to be able to do that.

Nothing I said would infer what you claimed.

This was a great ruling. At no point did Stew use derogertory comments in the video other than "Your mother don't like that shit" which is probably the Truth as most gays live a life of secrecy.

Second, there is no evidence in the video he actually struck the 2 fairies. Also if these was straight guys, nobody would have even known about the incident. Nobody.

Great Work by the WV Supreme Court.

You're too dumb to understand the ruling. The ruling wasn't in any way related to if Butler struck them or if his attack was based in any part on their sexual orientation. They were only looking at if it fits as as hate crime under WV statute. They weren't looking at his guilt or innocence.

A lifestyle is not a protected group and the fairies Nationwide need to understand that.

Being gay isn't a lifestyle any more than being black is.

These are things that are a lifestyle:

- having to live at momma's house when you are 30
- having to drive to the end of the street to smoke weed in your car when living at momma' house
- getting arrested for possession of weed
- having nine different jobs in a six year period, only one of which lasted a year

And I find it funny, you claim you don't stalk me but yet think you know a ton about my life.

Only someone with a vested interest to stalk someone will spend time learning about their personal life.

Being Gay is a lifestyle choice. I'm born Black but I can choose the type of lifestyle I want to live. Big difference.

You're too dumb to understand this, but I will try nonetheless.

You don't choose to be gay or straight. Did you choose to be straight? No. It is just what you were.

Homosexuality is not a lifestyle. Gays exist in all walks of life regardless of income, gender, race, nationality, religion, etc. Likewise, blacks also exist in all walks of life regardless of those things.

Being gay isn't a lifestyle; they don't fit in a certain box. Hell, I could argue that being black would result in a far likelier stereotype of a "lifestyle" than being gay is.

awaaaaay_we_go_rick_morty.gif

Gays exist in all walks of life.
Funny that you mentioned that, because during my lunch hour, I was sitting out on my back deck, and I be damned if the neighbor's dogs didn't start humping on each other. Both of them being male. Dogs below aren't queer, but I know WV-FAN enjoys watching these.

E8oXD_s-200x150.gif

There are two issues being discussed here.

The first is the legal issue.

One can say that one does not believe that anyone should get special privileges based on any characteristic, such as having a crime against you be a felony "hate crime" while the same crime against another is just a misdemeanor assult.

One can say that one feels that certain characteristics, such as those the legislature actually listed in the law in question are deserving of such a special privilege, while sexual proclivites are not.

Both are legitimate views.

Then there is the postition taken by the 2 farthest lefts on the court. Which is even though the law says one thing, you want it to read a different way, so it does. When you go down that path, the judicial branch is substuiting what it thinks for what the law says. If you believe in that, then WHATEVER a judge says on any subject at any time is the same as the word of God. You cease to live in a system of laws and enter a system of rule by decree. Up means down, black means while, stay means go, because some judge thinks it should and subsutites her views for those of the legislature.

I don't want to live in such a world. Therefore the court got this one right. It is sad that such a simple concept came down to one vote (that of former MU BOG chairman Menis Ketchum, currently the court's swing vote).

The second is the nature of homosexuality. It is unfortunate that the only response to an opinion different from his own that the troll can come up with is that they are "dumb". In fact, in my lifetime, the so-called scientific "certainty" has changed from one OPINION to the opposite OPINION. Which would tend to show that there is no legitimate science on the subject either way, and thus one OPINION is just a valid as the next. Perhaps next he can check spelling.

It is, however, an insult to visable minorities to equate a sexual proclivity (and, oddly, only one set of sexual proclitites among the many) with their status. A visable minority is, well, visable. 100% of the time. A black man trying to get a motel room at 2 AM from a racist innkeep is in a far different situation from someone who keeps private what should be private.

Be honest alot of folks in wv dont believe attacking a gay person is any different than anybody getting assulted. .I dont believe assulting a gay person is any different than you or I getting assulted. Until this country changes i would advice gay people to not be flamers in public.

Hate crime prosecution is unequal application of the law. Prosecute Butler for randomly attacking two guys, period. Had Butler attacked these two guys & then ran across the street & attacked a straight couple unprovoked, why should it be prosecuted any differently?

Herd Fever, normally:
Racism unfair racism bigotry racism, white privilege. White privilege, unfair bigotry racism...Kaepernick! 400 years of oppression racism racism bigotry racism, racism - white privilege unfair Kaepernick racism. For real.

Herd Fever, the moment he gets the chance to be part of a majority:

If I were Butler, I would find me the highest profile lawyer, I could and I would summarily sue Marshall, Mike Hamrick, and Doc Holiday. For as much money as I could.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Herd Fever, normally:
Racism unfair racism bigotry racism, white privilege. White privilege, unfair bigotry racism...Kaepernick! 400 years of oppression racism racism bigotry racism, racism - white privilege unfair Kaepernick racism. For real.

Herd Fever, the moment he gets the chance to be part of a majority:

srcstc.gif

Reactions: Herd Fever
There are two issues being discussed here.

The first is the legal issue.

One can say that one does not believe that anyone should get special privileges based on any characteristic, such as having a crime against you be a felony "hate crime" while the same crime against another is just a misdemeanor assult.

One can say that one feels that certain characteristics, such as those the legislature actually listed in the law in question are deserving of such a special privilege, while sexual proclivites are not.

Both are legitimate views.

You left out the third view. That view believes that crimes of hate (or as you put it, "certain characteristics . . . deserving of such a special privilege") should also relate to those committed due to a victim's sexual orientation. I wonder why you failed to mention this third view.

Then there is the postition taken by the 2 farthest lefts on the court. Which is even though the law says one thing, you want it to read a different way, so it does. When you go down that path, the judicial branch is substuiting what it thinks for what the law says. If you believe in that, then WHATEVER a judge says on any subject at any time is the same as the word of God. You cease to live in a system of laws and enter a system of rule by decree. Up means down, black means while, stay means go, because some judge thinks it should and subsutites her views for those of the legislature.

This shows your simple-mindedness. The dissenting opinion from Justice Workman was a valid and strong argument. She did not manipulate the wording of the statute. It is also why you have failed to refute her opinion.

To summarize, she acknowledged that sex/gender was a protected class under the statute. The victim in this, according to Butler's comments, was beaten because he was acting in a way that Butler felt was not right for a male to be doing. In other words, the victim was beaten due to his sex. That isn't a reach. It isn't a manipulation of the statute. It is a valid and logical argument. Had the victim been holding hands or kissing a female, he wouldn't have been beaten. Had the victim been a female, she wouldn't have been beaten. The victim was beaten due to his sex; he was not acting in a manner in which Butler felt was appropriate for a male to be acting.

Again, try using some logic to refute her opinion. She has presented a strong and logical argument. Now, I can find a bit of a hole in it, but I know you don't have the intelligence to do so, but I invite you to try.

The second is the nature of homosexuality. It is unfortunate that the only response to an opinion different from his own that the troll can come up with is that they are "dumb". In fact, in my lifetime, the so-called scientific "certainty" has changed from one OPINION to the opposite OPINION. Which would tend to show that there is no legitimate science on the subject either way, and thus one OPINION is just a valid as the next.

Wrong. You are looking at the wrong thing. The question relating to this situation isn't if homosexuals are born with a gay trait. That has no relevance in this situation. Why? It is because protected classes are not necessarily based on an existence of a trait from birth. If that weren't the case, religion wouldn't be a protected class, yet we know that to be the case.

So, the correct question to ask is simply if sexual orientation should be a protected class alongside other traits that include both people whom are born the traits and people whom choose the trait (religion, and with your argument, sexual orientation).

Now, if you want to discuss the merits behind making sexual orientation a protected class or not, I am all for it. But the lack of logic you have presented in asking the wrong question relating to this situation leads me to believe you aren't well-equipped enough for me to waste much time on it.

It is, however, an insult to visable minorities to equate a sexual proclivity (and, oddly, only one set of sexual proclitites among the many) with their status. A visable minority is, well, visable. 100% of the time. A black man trying to get a motel room at 2 AM from a racist innkeep is in a far different situation from someone who keeps private what should be private.

Oh, you decided to double-down on your illogical stance. You are now claiming that it isn't necessary to protect certain classes of people who you can't initially tell fit a certain group. In West Virginia, protected classes include political affiliation, religion, ancestry, national origin, and others. The first four I listed, many times, cannot be identified by that inn-keeper in your example. So, should those things not be protected classes?

A minority being "visible" or not is an absurd argument to back your opinion on. Further, claiming that holding hands or kissing somebody of the same sex in public should be "kept private," in turn excluding it from being protected, is the epitome of bigotry. It is no different than arguments against interracial relationships decades ago.

There are logical arguments for your stance; both regarding the dissenting opinion and homosexuality as a protected class. However, the arguments you presented are foolishly illogical and not one of the intelligent arguments against my stances on the subjects.

Perhaps next he can check spelling.

I'd love to, though with you, it is time-consuming to do. I won't bother with those things I feel are simply typos, but rather, just will acknowledge the ones that you show not to have the intelligence to correctly spell:

substuiting

No, that isn't even close.

subsutites

That's your second attempt at the word, and it is your second miserable failure.

It really isn't a difficult word to spell.

proclivites

Nope. How about trying again . . .

proclitites

Ugh. I gave you a second chance, and you still butchered it. And did you just say "clit?"

visable

Nope. Try again . . .

Ugh. Strike two. Want to try again?

Sorry, but I can only give you three chances, especially with such a basic word.

I am not being a dick to you for once with this question: Do you suffer from any learning disabilities? Dyslexia or anything? Again, I am not being a dick. You are a good writer. The logic in your arguments and the incorrect things you attempt to pass off as fact (again, true factual things, not just opinion arguments) leave a lot to be desired. But, usually when somebody is a good writer and articulate, they also can spell at a decent level. Yet, your atrocious at spelling . . . and these aren't the typos where you just incorrectly hit the wrong key. They are examples of you butchering the same word repeatedly and trying to spell basic words the exact same, incorrectly in the same way, each time.

Is there a disability? If so, I will take it easy on mocking you for those things. But for your illogical arguments . . . naw, that ain't changing.

Hate crime prosecution is unequal application of the law. Prosecute Butler for randomly attacking two guys, period. Had Butler attacked these two guys & then ran across the street & attacked a straight couple unprovoked, why should it be prosecuted any differently?

Finally! I have absolutely no problem with this argument. I don't necessarily agree with it, as I think certain groups that have been prone to discrimination need to be protected. But I have no problem with the logic behind this.

Sam should take some notes.

Why would you sue Marshall?
For dismissing me and ruining my reputation and me being labeled with a hate crime when in fact it was not a hate crime. That would ruin my ability to make a living and damage my reputation. I would sue their pants off.

Funny that you mentioned that, because during my lunch hour, I was sitting out on my back deck, and I be damned if the neighbor's dogs didn't start humping on each other. Both of them being male. Dogs below aren't queer, but I know WV-FAN enjoys watching these.

E8oXD_s-200x150.gif
giphy.gif

I agree with the majority decision. It is up to the Legislature to define a hate crime. Of course, if you are waiting for the WV Legislature to do anything positive for the growth of WV, I advise against holding your breath.

This is for you and Herdalicious since he liked your post.

I don't disagree with your stance about it being the legislature's job to define a hate crime. However, nobody has stepped up to refute Justice Workman's dissenting opinion.

Again, I will summarize it. The legislature has listed gender as a protected class. Butler attacked the victim because he was a guy kissing another guy (or holding hands, I can't recall). Had the victim been a girl, would she have been attacked by Butler? No. In other words, he was attacked because of his sex. Had the victims been two girls, would they have been physically attacked by Butler? No. Again, that means the victims were attacked, at least partly, based on their sex.

So, if the state's statute covers sex as a protected class, how does this not apply when the victim(s) were attacked, at least partly, as a result of their sex?

This is the third or fourth time I have this in this thread. I have directed it at certain people, yet nobody has refuted her opinion.

For dismissing me and ruining my reputation and me being labeled with a hate crime when in fact it was not a hate crime. That would ruin my ability to make a living and damage my reputation. I would sue their pants off.

Marshall, Doc, nor Hamrick were the ones who labeled it as a hate crime. That would be the prosecutor who charged Butler with a hate crime.

Shit. I must be fvcking crazy to spend as much time as I do on here with the level of intelligence exhibited by most on here.

My only opinion on the matter is this. The dude acted like a thug, and punched two people. Whether they're two homos, two girls, two straight dudes, two kids, dude and his girlfriend, makes no difference. How the hell do some of you defend his actions, and feel he's been done wrong? What if he bitch slapped your wife, mother, or other family member? What if this was your brother, who may happen to be gay? Would you feel the same way?

Marshall, Doc, nor Hamrick were the ones who labeled it as a hate crime. That would be the prosecutor who charged Butler with a hate crime.

Shit. I must be fvcking crazy to spend as much time as I do on here with the level of intelligence exhibited by most on here.

Slow down. I agree. But, they kicked him off the team for it. Didn't stand behind him because it wasn't popular.

I would go after them. I would make them eat their own words. Doc, do you dismiss each football player for punching someone? Mr Hamrick? What was my client dismissed for Mr Hamrick? A hate crime? A punch? Because he was black? What?

Slow down. I agree. But, they kicked him off the team for it. Didn't stand behind him because it wasn't popular.

I would go after them. I would make them eat their own words. Doc, do you dismiss each football player for punching someone? Mr Hamrick? What was my client dismissed for Mr Hamrick? A hate crime? A punch? Because he was black? What?

This wasn't a bar fight where two drunk guys were both somewhat at fault for something. This was the case of Butler going after an innocent person who was doing nothing wrong and brutally attacking him. The fact that it was based only on Butler not liking gays, regardless if that is a hate crime or not, makes it all the more vile.

A player gets in a bar fight . . . check out the facts of the case and make a decision. Butler doing what he did? There is no excuse. Gone. That has no bearing on which way the WV statute falls.

Reactions: pdbailey
This wasn't a bar fight where two drunk guys were both somewhat at fault for something. This was the case of Butler going after an innocent person who was doing nothing wrong and brutally attacking him. The fact that it was based only on Butler not liking gays, regardless if that is a hate crime or not, makes it all the more vile.

A player gets in a bar fight . . . check out the facts of the case and make a decision. Butler doing what he did? There is no excuse. Gone. That has no bearing on which way the WV statute falls.

Hey, again, I agree. But, there is a big difference between being labeled with a hate crime. And the university telling the national media Butler was a bigot. WV law just stated that it is not a hate crime.

“The entire university community is shocked and disappointed to learn the details surrounding the alleged actions,” Marshall interim president Gary C. White said in a statement. “The type of violent, bigoted behavior reported to have been perpetrated by this student is not tolerated at Marshall University.”

Hey, again, I agree. But, there is a big difference between being labeled with a hate crime. And the university telling the national media Butler was a bigot.

“The entire university community is shocked and disappointed to learn the details surrounding the alleged actions,” Marshall interim president Gary C. White said in a statement. “The type of violent, bigoted behavior reported to have been perpetrated by this student is not tolerated at Marshall University.”

He is a fvcking bigot! God damn. How can you deny that? White was entirely correct in calling the action and Butler exactly as it is.

If Butler saw some white guys, started calling them racial slurs and claiming he hated whites, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward whites.

If Butler saw gay guys, started calling them homosexual slurs and claiming he hated gay, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward gays.

If Chase Litton saw black guys, started calling them racial slurs and claiming he hated blacks, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward blacks.

How can you deny that Butler is a bigot based on his actions and words? Based on your argument, I am guessing you aren't too sure of the definition of "bigot."

There wasn't anything wrong with that statement. Even if WV state law doesn't deem it to be a hate crime, it was still a crime of bigotry. If I were to pull out my pecker and piss in the middle of I-79 near the Jane Lew exit, and the state of WV didn't have a law on the books to label it as a crime, I would still be considered to be a lewd pervert, would I not?

He is a fvcking bigot! God damn. How can you deny that? White was entirely correct in calling the action and Butler exactly as it is.

If Butler saw some white guys, started calling them racial slurs and claiming he hated whites, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward whites.

If Butler saw gay guys, started calling them homosexual slurs and claiming he hated gay, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward gays.

If Chase Litton saw black guys, started calling them racial slurs and claiming he hated blacks, then attacked them, he would be a bigot toward blacks.

How can you deny that Butler is a bigot based on his actions and words? Based on your argument, I am guessing you aren't too sure of the definition of "bigot."

WV Supreme Court just said he did not commit a hate crime. Do I think he is a bigot? Probably. He hit the two gay guys(or one of them). But, according to WV law he did not commit a hate crime and he would have still been playing football if MU was dumping him because of the fall out in the media. They even labeled him a bigot. Turns out by legal definition he did not commit a hate crime as charged.

WV Supreme Court just said he did not commit a hate crime. Do I think he is a bigot? Probably. He hit the two gay guys(or one of them). But, according to WV law he did not commit a hate crime and he would have still been playing football if MU was dumping him because of the fall out in the media. They even labeled him a bigot. Turns out by legal definition he did not commit a hate crime as charged.

Not committing a hate crime or not doesn't have any relevance to him being a bigot or not.

I could go around proclaiming that I hate blacks and yelling the n-word at every black I see. That means I am a bigot even with the absence of committing a hate crime.

Damn, this is some Fever arguing going on here.

There wasn't anything wrong with that statement. Even if WV state law doesn't deem it to be a hate crime, it was still a crime of bigotry. If I were to pull out my pecker and piss in the middle of I-79 near the Jane Lew exit, and the state of WV didn't have a law on the books to label it as a crime, I would still be considered to be a lewd pervert, would I not?

Probably but if you employer when and told everyone that you were not only a pervert but committed sex crimes and told CNN, ESPN, Yahoo, Fox, and every other national media outlet therefor ruining not reputation but your ability to make future earnings then I would recommend hiring an attorney and going after them.

Not committing a hate crime or not doesn't have any relevance to him being a bigot or not.

I could go around proclaiming that I hate blacks and yelling the n-word at every black I see. That means I am a bigot even with the absence of committing a hate crime.

Damn, this is some Fever arguing going on here.

Not really. The University jumped to assumptions and labeled him as such to the national media. They damaged his reputation and ability to earn future earnings. And, they only do so as to save face. The WV court just determined that this was not a hate crime and therefore I would sue them for damaging my ability to earn future earnings.

Probably but if you employer when and told everyone that you were not only a pervert but committed sex crimes and told CNN, ESPN, Yahoo, Fox, and every other national media outlet therefor ruining not reputation but your ability to make future earnings then I would recommend hiring an attorney and going after them.
Well, pretty much everybody that knows me, knows that I'm a pervert, and that would include the Judge with whom I know pretty well, so I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I attempted to sue them. But for the record, I'm a straight guy that only likes to perv 18 & older strikingly beautiful women. It's a sickness, and I'm okay with it.

Reactions: i am herdman
Not really. The University jumped to assumptions and labeled him as such to the national media. They damaged his reputation and ability to earn future earnings. And, they only do so as to save face. The WV court just determined that this was not a hate crime and therefore I would sue them for damaging my ability to earn future earnings.

You have severe lack of understanding the legality behind what you are trying to argue.

The university didn't jump to assumptions. They saw video that proved Butler to be a bigot. It doesn't matter if they ruined his reputation and his ability to earn future earnings if what they said happened to be true, which it was.

You're trying to argue on a slander/libel basis. One absolute defense against that is the truth. What Marshall said was the truth; Butler is (or at least was at the time) a bigot. If that hurts his reputation, he still has no recourse to sue based off of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT