ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that started or played Freshman QBs

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Here are the records for teams that started or played freshman QBs significant minutes

Clemson 13-0
Cincinnati 10-2
Marshall 8-4
Iowa State 8-4
Cal 7-5
Miami 7-5
Minnesota 6-6
BYU 6-6
Wake Forest 6-6
USC 5-7
Texas Tech 5-7
Charlotte 5-7
Maryland 5-7
Nebraska 4-8
New Mexico State 3-9
Tulsa 3-9
UCLA 3-9
Texas St 3-9
Rutgers 1-11

What point are you attempting to make with that post?

Do you believe Iowa State would have gone 8-4 or Miami Florida 7-5 with Marshall's freshman QB?

What point are you attempting to make with that post?

Do you believe Iowa State would have gone 8-4 or Miami Florida 7-5 with Marshall's freshman QB?

No. Not at all. You can draw your own conclusions. You could say that all these other teams player freshman too and all but 3 struggled to have good seasons.

Starting freshman QBs usually doesn't translate into Undefeated, top25, or championship seasons.

Starting freshman QBs usually doesn't translate into Undefeated, top25, or championship seasons.
Freshman QBs can thrive, if they have talent, and they're working within a system where they don't necessarily have to be counted on to win every game. Meaning, being on a team with surrounded by talent on the offensive side of the ball, and a kick ass defense. If Greene were QB of Alabama this past season, they may not have gone unbeaten, but I'm guessing they would have still won a majority of their games.

No. Not at all. You can draw your own conclusions. You could say that all these other teams player freshman too and all but 3 struggled to have good seasons.

Add me to the group that doesn't understand what the hell your point is.

It doesn't matter what position it is - true freshman usually don't immediately step in and be saviors. That isn't exclusive to just quarterbacks.

Is that your point?

AND IMO each of these teams probably played a tougher schedule (in and our of conference) than MU. That's what I get from your post.

Hell, maybe with freshman Greene starting at QB Michigan might have beaten Ohio State this season. Then again, with ole Hairball as head coach, probably not!!

Hell, maybe with freshman Greene starting at QB Michigan might have beaten Ohio State this season. Then again, with ole Hairball as head coach, probably not!!
Perhaps, but to my knowledge, UM doesn't have a special ed program.

~
No, not really when we don't beat ANY quality teams in football. Doc Holiday is NOT a good head coach IMO!!!

I think doc has run a good program, seems as if he’s kept the troubled kids under control, and has won every bowl game he’s coached, doesnt seem like he’s going to get hit with recruiting violations and has had winnings seasons....BUT

He Hired a offensive coordinator that for the most part has been no change besides about 10 more plays... and if they don’t change something they are going to continue to see a decline in fans and a increase in mouth runnings...... Marshall just isn’t fun to watch anymore even if we are winning....!!!!!

Yep, only 1 team won their conference and that QB is special enough that he replaced a returning starter on a CFP team. I don't believe Green would have done as well, but Clemson certainly would have still won at least 10 games with Green at QB because of the outstanding supporting cast.

Here are the records for teams that started or played freshman QBs significant minutes

Clemson 13-0
Cincinnati 10-2
Marshall 8-4
Iowa State 8-4
Cal 7-5
Miami 7-5
Minnesota 6-6
BYU 6-6
Wake Forest 6-6
USC 5-7
Texas Tech 5-7
Charlotte 5-7
Maryland 5-7
Nebraska 4-8
New Mexico State 3-9
Tulsa 3-9
UCLA 3-9
Texas St 3-9
Rutgers 1-11
What I see is of 19 teams that started a freshman qb, Marshall and Green tied for the third best record. Just a fact.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I see this from both sides - people shouldn't have been surprised by the record, seeing how we had a Freshman QB, but how many teams on that list had a coach that was in year nine?

I don't have time to do the research but I wonder what the records are for teams that started a freshman QB & had 2 new coordinators?

As Ernie used to say, pardon me but I was just askin'...

I get it. That's exactly what I said in the pre-season threads when people had such high expectations for this team.

I said two new coordinators and an injury prone FCS QB who had very average numbers on a below average FCS team in a below average FCS conference did not make for a good formula.

And those would all be fine excuses for a head coach in year one or year two of his tenure. But after eight years, he owns the program. Everything is on him- injuries? Why hasn't he (not necessarily Doc, but any coach whose been at a school for eight years) developed a depth chart after that long of recruiting? Transfers? Same question. Coordinators are fired/leave? Why have you not groomed others on staff to fill those roles or have people ready to hire immediately and mesh their system with the roster?

I understand why Marshall didn't win the conference or even their division - sluggish offense without a consistent passing attack due to having new starting QBs and a bad field goal unit that has 15% if its attempts blocked . . . but those are all things that are on a head coach's shoulders after year 8.

Reactions: HerdFan73

Clemson 13-0
Cincinnati 10-2
Marshall 8-4
Iowa State 8-4
Cal 7-5
Miami 7-5
Minnesota 6-6
BYU 6-6
Wake Forest 6-6
USC 5-7
Texas Tech 5-7
Charlotte 5-7
Maryland 5-7
Nebraska 4-8
New Mexico State 3-9
Tulsa 3-9
UCLA 3-9
Texas St 3-9
Rutgers 1-11

Translation:

"I don't like Doc...and I'm trying to create another reason why I don't like him. Even if my point or method doesn't make any sense."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT