ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
On Football Scoop's short list of candidates for Texas A&M, there is one you may be familiar with:

Mike Elko:

Dan Lanning:

Jeff Traylor:.

Lane Kiffin:

Kyle Whittingham:

Charles Huff: Marshall’s third-year head coach has largely outperformed expectations for the Thunder Herd, and he’s got that signature win from 2022 at tradition-rich Notre Dame. Huff also already this year beat a Virginia Tech team that’s rebuilding nicely under Brent Pry, took down East Carolina and had Dave Doeren’s North Carolina State squad on the ropes before falling, 48-41.

Moreover, Huff has worked for some of the best in the business to shape his program vision, including key time as an assistant coach under James Franklin at both Vanderbilt and Penn State as well as helping Alabama to a title as Nick Saban’s assistant head coach. Too, Huff has NFL experience from his time coaching running backs at the Buffalo Bills.

Huff is an extremely gifted recruiter, inspires as a leader and continues to be a coach on a rising career arc.

And, not that the Aggies are pinching pennies, but Huff’s buyout to exit Marshall is a mere $881,000.

Aaron Glenn:

There is no chance that Texas AM is going to follow up Jimbo Fisher with a "no-name" G5 coach..
When you have a winner like Curt Cignetti, that's laughable you'd pick someone who's not only failed to recruit each year, but has successfully turned his own program into a dumpster fire.

That's gotta be Huff's agent working hard at getting his name mentioned in articles.

When you have a winner like Curt Cignetti, that's laughable you'd pick someone who's not only failed to recruit each year, but has successfully turned his own program into a dumpster fire.

That's gotta be Huff's agent working hard at getting his name mentioned in articles.
I agree... I actually think Cignetti may end up at Duke after Elko takes a bag from some bigger money program. He'd be a great fit for the Blue Devils.

I don't see how John Brice gets the "outperformed expectations" part, or the recruiting part either.

If the Herd was 9-1 or 8-2 at this point of the season, Huff might be a serious candidate for a P5 position.
Outsiders that don't care about anything other than P5 football just see little Marshall from the G5 and think that any +.500 record is over performing.

Reactions: Elkview
There is no chance that Texas AM is going to follow up Jimbo Fisher with a "no-name" G5 coach... That's not a knock against Huff, it's just reality.

They will break the bank for Kiffin, or they will be the lead candidate to hire away Mike Elko from Duke.
One day these teams will stop "breaking the bank" with these insane contracts with even more insane buyout clauses. This is why they couldn't get rid of Jimbo last year or the year before.

These AD's think they've found their guy and convinced he's going to be so good that they have to lock him up and more often than not end up hurting themselves.

On Football Scoop's short list of candidates for Texas A&M, there is one you may be familiar with:

Mike Elko:

Dan Lanning:

Jeff Traylor:

Lane Kiffin:

Kyle Whittingham:

Charles Huff: Marshall’s third-year head coach has largely outperformed expectations for the Thunder Herd, and he’s got that signature win from 2022 at tradition-rich Notre Dame. Huff also already this year beat a Virginia Tech team that’s rebuilding nicely under Brent Pry, took down East Carolina and had Dave Doeren’s North Carolina State squad on the ropes before falling, 48-41.

Moreover, Huff has worked for some of the best in the business to shape his program vision, including key time as an assistant coach under James Franklin at both Vanderbilt and Penn State as well as helping Alabama to a title as Nick Saban’s assistant head coach. Too, Huff has NFL experience from his time coaching running backs at the Buffalo Bills.

Huff is an extremely gifted recruiter, inspires as a leader and continues to be a coach on a rising career arc.

And, not that the Aggies are pinching pennies, but Huff’s buyout to exit Marshall is a mere $881,000.

Aaron Glenn:
You cannot think he's a legit contender for that job? This has to be a troll post, right?

Reactions: HerdGrad1999

Mike Elko:

Dan Lanning:

Jeff Traylor:

Lane Kiffin:

Kyle Whittingham:

Aaron Glenn:
That shows you how stupid the press can be.

You cannot think he's a legit contender for that job? This has to be a troll post, right?
After finally coaching the Herd to a win, I'm sure Rifle has Huff's grade elevated back to A++++

a christmas story GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Jartard
Has this writer bothered to look up the results of Marshall's games this year, including the 5 game losing streak?

Has this writer bothered to look up the results of Marshall's games this year, including the 5 game losing streak?
Writer? Lol football scoop is just a bunch of BS people say. There’s no writers , just people emailing, twittering etc stuff they have heard or frankly just made up

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Football Scoop is a bit of a joke, though. Agents use it, and the guys who run the site eat it up. Shortly after the ND win, Huff was featured by the site. Almost without a doubt, set up by his agent. Inside baseball goofball website.

We all know there is no chance Charles Huff is an actual candidate for the Texas A&M job.

Interesting rumor today... Texas AM is "interested in talking to" Dan Campbell.

Basically the thought is they are going to pay whoever they hire an absurd amount, so no one, not even NFL coaches are off the table... The exceptions of course being Saban, Kirby, Dabo (who aren't going anywhere).

Interesting rumor today... Texas AM is "interested in talking to" Dan Campbell.

Basically the thought is they are going to pay whoever they hire an absurd amount, so no one, not even NFL coaches are off the table... The exceptions of course being Saban, Kirby, Dabo (who aren't going anywhere).
Not sure Dabo is still on that Kirby and Saban level of not going anwyhere. i think he is on a semi to warming heated seat.

I said a warm seat. He has felt some heat. Smart and Saban are 10000.percent safe..
Dabo is 100000% safe. He’s not going anywhere unless it’s his doing. His seat isn’t close to being warm. Tyler from Spartanburg doesn’t make decisions in Clemson.

Dabo is 100000% safe. He’s not going anywhere unless it’s his doing. His seat isn’t close to being warm. Tyler from Spartanburg doesn’t make decisions in Clemson.
Unless it's Tyler Spartanburg, of whom his family the town is named, lol.

But yes, Dabo isn't going anywhere.

One thing I have noticed is that national coaching observers and media pay attention to G5 teams in the OOC only. After that, we don't exist. We beat ND and VT and Huff is "one of the bright up and coming coaches in the country." We lose 5 straight games and sit in last place in the division and this is not even brought up. Just that we have punched above our weight a couple of times and Huff has "exceeded expectations" in Huntington. It is just the way it is. Our "expectations" in their minds are to lose to all P5 teams, and anything other than this is "exceeding" regardless of what happens in the league.

I agree... I actually think Cignetti may end up at Duke after Elko takes a bag from some bigger money program. He'd be a great fit for the Blue Devils.
Now that you mention it, wasn't Duke where Huff interviewed in between Marshall games during the first month of his inaugural season?

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggo72
One thing I have noticed is that national coaching observers and media pay attention to G5 teams in the OOC only. After that, we don't exist. We beat ND and VT and Huff is "one of the bright up and coming coaches in the country." We lose 5 straight games and sit in last place in the division and this is not even brought up. Just that we have punched above our weight a couple of times and Huff has "exceeded expectations" in Huntington. It is just the way it is. Our "expectations" in their minds are to lose to all P5 teams, and anything other than this is "exceeding" regardless of what happens in the league.
Uhm, not really...
ND was an exception of exceeding expectations.
MU hadn't upset anyone of that caliber since K State.

But do it often enough to gain a reputation like Boise or App State and beating a major P5 program isn't as far fetched as you claim.

i said it got warm. He is not on the same level of safe as Kirby Smart or Saban at this point. That is all I am saying. Safe yes? Mount Rushmore safe? Not like those two.

Hell, he might be at Texas AM next year. Seems to be some interest. If they offered and want him with mucho dinero not even Clemson will match that money. If I were him I would take it offered. He goes 6 and 6 or 7 and 5 again next year for Clemson he will be having a hand warmer in his pants. And, that could actually happen plus he has to contend with Florida State now. of course AM might not offer another idiotic deal like they offered Jimbo Fisher.

Crazy to think A&M would want Huff...Interest here is as low as it has been in 20 years. Barely 31,000 came to watch us play Virginia Tech. We have tarped off sections of the stadium we have so many empty seats.

Crazy to think A&M would want Huff...Interest here is as low as it has been in 20 years. Barely 31,000 came to watch us play Virginia Tech. We have tarped off sections of the stadium we have so many empty seats.

You're a fool.
You can't complain about the tarped off sections.
The majority of online fans claimed to have wanted it...and encouraged the idea of reduction of capacity...even if the ultimate plan was a party deck.

In your clownish method of just trying to fit in with theme of pessimism in the topic, you failed miserably to realize the stadium reduction was always supported.
Also that capacity for the stadium currently is somewhere around the number you posted...aka MU was at near capacity for VT.

You're a fool.
You can't complain about the tarped off sections.
The majority of online fans claimed to have wanted it...and encouraged the idea of reduction of capacity...even if the ultimate plan was a party deck.

In your clownish method of just trying to fit in with theme of pessimism in the topic, you failed miserably to realize the stadium reduction was always supported.
Also that capacity for the stadium currently is somewhere around the number you posted...aka MU was at near capacity for VT.
The plan is still to make it a party deck/concourse... And get rid of the currently tarped off bleachers... Renovations to the Joan are in the pipeline and are being done one project at a time (this year it was the new video board/scoreboard and sound system).

How many fans show up to watch MU plat Tech has zero bearing on whether another program would be interested in Huff... Huff's current 5-5 record has more weight than how many fans are in the stands.

It would be interesting if Urban Meyer is a dark horse?
I have seen that thrown around, but the general feeling there is "too much baggage"... I dont think AM wants to follow the worst coaching contract in history with a guy who has "character issues." The last thing they need is Urban to bang a cheerleader's mom (allegedly) or kick his punter during practice and create a bigger shitstorm than what they already have.

Reactions: mlblack16.
The plan is still to make it a party deck/concourse... And get rid of the currently tarped off bleachers... Renovations to the Joan are in the pipeline and are being done one project at a time (this year it was the new video board/scoreboard and sound system).

How many fans show up to watch MU plat Tech has zero bearing on whether another program would be interested in Huff... Huff's current 5-5 record has more weight than how many fans are in the stands.
True, but that clown was saying the low capacity for the VT game was because of Huff.
Forgetting MU was looking decent prior to said game and didn't enter their losing streak.
In short, trying to complain and using stupid logic in doing so.

Not sure why the hate...you can call me names all you want if it makes you feel somehow superior. My point is when schools hire a new coach they want someone who can win and bring excitement to the program. Huff has done neither here. A smaller program might want him, but certainly not one like A&M. Not now anyway. Also, the stadium was built with the idea of expansion, not reductions. The fact the tarps are out are a clear indication interest is down.

Reactions: Jartard
Not sure why the hate...you can call me names all you want if it makes you feel somehow superior. My point is when schools hire a new coach they want someone who can win and bring excitement to the program. Huff has done neither here. A smaller program might want him, but certainly not one like A&M. Not now anyway. Also, the stadium was built with the idea of expansion, not reductions. The fact the tarps are out are a clear indication interest is down.

Great, now the fans are going to blame the stadium reduction, in favor of a party deck, as "evidence" nobody cares about MU sports and it's all MU's fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT