ADVERTISEMENT

Thank the Good Lord for Michael Payton

sistersville

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 17, 2007
Marshall University has treated our former players like 3rd class people. Every word Mike said in his interview is true. Coach Holiday needs to wake up. Is he brain dead after he leaves the field? He needs to intervene. Younger generation ---- thanks for nothing. Also Mike didn't use the term brain dead, he is better than that and did not mention Doc.

Last edited:
I read the article and MP specifically mentions the early 2000’s as a time reference when the issues with the athletic dept were at there worst. He said that things seem to be improving (mentions Aaron Gobbel) and ironically named Marshall Reynolds as someone who he could always call and get a seat in his box suite.
The article is part of CL’s quest to retire Randy Moss, Mike Payton, and other jersey numbers. If retiring a number is an issue then retire jerseys but continue to use the number and set a high bar on which players get the number.

Reactions: chuck1069
The article is part of CL’s quest to retire Randy Moss, Mike Payton, and other jersey numbers.

Facts.

I like Chuck, but there is an agenda in place.

Payton is speaking WAY out of turn in regards to Randy. He clearly doesn’t have a relationship with him otherwise he’d know the truth there. As far as himself and others (besides Moss), until they retire CP10’s number, they might as well get in line.

Facts.

I like Chuck, but there is an agenda in place.

Payton is speaking WAY out of turn in regards to Randy. He clearly doesn’t have a relationship with him otherwise he’d know the truth there. As far as himself and others (besides Moss), until they retire CP10’s number, they might as well get in line.

Chuck always has an agenda, that’s why he says so many things that are way out on the limb.

I missed the part where he said it was improving. As far as getting tickets those two u mentioned were his only help. See where coach chump had to sit? That article is not saying things are getting better but will read it again.

I missed the part where he said it was improving. As far as getting tickets those two u mentioned were his only help. See where coach chump had to sit? That article is not saying things are getting better but will read it again.

Who is coach chump, Old Short Bus?

Reactions: sistersville
Michael said until recently he has had support. Why would they retire Pennington ahead of Moss? If they do its not because of on the field play but what Chad has done for Marshall. I think all in the article should have their jersey's retired especially Chad but not ahead of the greatest, Mr Moss.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Greenduke actually that was that check spell's fault. Your changing the subject. See where he sat? You must love Hammrick.

Retire the Jersey with the number but the expectations to players wearing that number need to be the dedication to rise to the level of the retirees level of play and beyond! The numbers belong to everyone so let the numbers alone! The Name, the number and a jersey that’s it!

88 should be retired - end of discussion. 10 should be retired - end of discussion. 14 should be retired - end of discussion. Barber and Brown I think are a slight tier below those other three - all-time greats? Of course, but numbers to retire? Not before the other three are taken care of. Randy and Chad should have their numbers retired together. Payton a year later. Randy and Chad were Heisman finalists and Payton won the equivalent of the 1-aa Heisman. This doesnt even bring Byron or Rakeem into the conversation (also in that tier with Barber and Brown in my opinion).

Our athletic department has to figure this out. It has been going on for years - and not only in football. Look at JR Van Hoose's numbers and explain to me how 5th all-time in scoring and 2nd all-time in rebounding doesnt garner a jersey retirement. And we are absolutely ignorant if we dont retire Jon Elmore's number on senior night this year... he'll likely end up as our all-time scoring leader AND all-time assist leader. To my knowledge - that has never happened in Division 1 basketball. Not Pistol Pete, not Oscar Robertson, not Bobby Hurley, not Allen Iverson, not Steph Curry, not a single Division 1 player in the history of college basketball.

Look - we can retire a number and make it still wearable. They should be available only to kids in their senior year as an optional honor. They could keep their number or opt into the retired number if approved by either the player who wore it or a designee from the family of the player who wore the number.

It does not demean the 75 in any way shape or form. We need to take care of our own or we will perpetuate the current reality which unfortunately is "what have you done for me lately".

Absolutely agree with others about retiring numbers. BUT, I guess I'm old school in that I wouldn't want anyone else to wear it again. I know, it's impractical because of number availability (there are only 42 eligible numbers for basketball).

Moss, MP, Barber, and Chad for sure.

And while we are at it Herschel “Woody” Williams should lead the team into the field at the first home game. Coach Stowers how about taking care of this? A living Medai of Honor winner who lives here should be invited to go this while he is still living. JMO

What should the criteria be for this? Just curious.
Most colleges have very stringent criteria when doing so. I believe UGA only has 3 FB numbers retired. All Heisman winners. Most schools do a “Ring of Honor” type of thing - think Cowboys, UNC bball. I would take down the crappy worn out banners in the concourses and replace them with ring of honor banners.

Reactions: Mwilton13
As far as himself and others (besides Moss), until they retire CP10’s number, they might as well get in line.

Here here. If anybody deserves a statue outside the stadium, it should be him. Moss might be in the HOF, but Pennington is and will always be the GOAT at Marshall, for what he did on and off the field, who he was, who he is, and how he's continuously lent support to the university over the last two decades.

I'm cool with a statue of Moss going up near the Joan, so long as he is accurately depicted in a Vikings uniform, holding a Slurpee from Rand University, and bitching about the catering.

I said, “besides Moss” when I referenced retiring Chad’s jersey. Moss is a NFL Hall of Famer. His number and jersey should both be retired but I’m not convinced it’ll happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but you have to graduate from Marshall to have your jersey # retired. When did Randy get his HERD degree?

HerdZilla22

Correct me if I'm wrong....but you have to graduate from Marshall to have your jersey # retired. When did Randy get his HERD degree?

HerdZilla22
I am certain that it has been overlooked in the past. We retired John Taft's number on his senior night against ETSU (one of the best games in the history of the Henderson Center) and I know he did not have his degree at that point. I'm not sure whether or not JT ever finished his degree, but if he did it was years later.

- Another anti-Doc, anit-Mike screed from the dark bitter columnist from the irrelevant Huntington edition of the Charleston Gazette. Who cares what Chuckie thinks about anything?

- Retiring numbers, which is made yet more difficult in football because of the size of modern teams, is a question for the administration, and not for Doug Reynolds.

- Expecting comps for any game you want to show up for, no matter who you are, is a bit much. OK, if this was Ohio State or Alabama or something, where you really cannot get tickets over-the-counter, pulling a few strings for former players is a nice thing to do. Anybody can walk up to the box office and buy a primo ticket for less than a good dinner would cost.

Move on.

I read the article and MP specifically mentions the early 2000’s as a time reference when the issues with the athletic dept were at there worst. He said that things seem to be improving (mentions Aaron Gobbel) and ironically named Marshall Reynolds as someone who he could always call and get a seat in his box suite.
The article is part of CL’s quest to retire Randy Moss, Mike Payton, and other jersey numbers. If retiring a number is an issue then retire jerseys but continue to use the number and set a high bar on which players get the number.
In football you can retire jerseys but it is hard to retire a number. I agree that only certain caliber of players, such as team captains, should wear those numbers once the jersey is retired.

There need to be some extremely high bars for retiring a number... The NFL Hall of Fame and being widely recognized as one of the top 10 players ever at your position should suffice.

Gatski's 52 is already retired.
Moss' 88 should be retired this year.

Those should be the only two numbers "retired"... A ring of honor around the concrete wall in the stadium with guys like Chad, Byron, Troy Brown, etc. would be a fine tribute without "retiring" any other numbers.

HerdZilla22
I don't think Gunner Gatski graduated from Marshall. When he came back from WWII, Marshall hadn't restarted their football program so he finished up his studies and his Sr football year at Auburn.

Marshall is missing a HUGE opportunity if they don't retire 88 this year. BIG. It would make zero sense if you retire Gatzki who was in the HoF and not Moss. The fact Moss just got inducted this year and that fact he is working with MU for next summer just goes to show it needs to be retired. He is arguably the greatest WR in the history of the game, college and pro. He stays 4 years at Marshall, no one comes close to his records and he has a Heisman.

You don't have to retire a jersey or number. Establish a ring of honor with the names. jmo.

Marshall is missing a HUGE opportunity if they don't retire 88 this year. BIG. It would make zero sense if you retire Gatzki who was in the HoF and not Moss. The fact Moss just got inducted this year and that fact he is working with MU for next summer just goes to show it needs to be retired. He is arguably the greatest WR in the history of the game, college and pro. He stays 4 years at Marshall, no one comes close to his records and he has a Heisman.

There are certain factors in place that may not allow that to happen. If, and I will emphasize IF it does not happen, you all need to know that it was NOT the Athletic Department's choice not to.

Somethings are out of their control.

There are certain factors in place that may not allow that to happen. If, and I will emphasize IF it does not happen, you all need to know that it was NOT the Athletic Department's choice not to.

That's a pretty heavy allegation to make and not name names. I would like to know to whose office we need to carry our pitchforks and torches.

Reactions: chuck1069

Please elaborate. How would anyone connected to Marshall not want this done? Unless it's Moss himself.

That's a pretty heavy allegation to make and not name names. I would like to know to whose office we need to carry our pitchforks and torches.

You read that wrong or I didn't make myself clear.

The Athletic Department should not be held responsible if Moss's number is not retired this year (or ever). Like I said, somethings are out of their control.

Let me be even more clear.

If Moss's number is not retired, it won't be because of ANYONE affiliated with Marshall University.

Other than Moss, who the hell would not want it retired? Unless some asshat donor had a burr up his ass for some reason and threatened to pull funding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT