ADVERTISEMENT

The Afghanistan Debacle. This should make your blood boil. Interview with retired Green Beret who was there trying to get people out. Guess who calls?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Take a minute and listen to this clip. The man was retired and took a group to help get people out. VP Harris Office Calls Him and Asks them to get a Friend of the VP out of Afghanistan.

Nope, not a joke.

giphy.gif

This also happened quite a bit during the evacuation of Saigon in 1975.
The dude in the video is a retired Green Beret in his 50's who set up a team to go get people they knew of with private funding and risking their own necks . The VP's office called him to get a person they wanted out. His points was hey I am a private dude now in my 50's and the VP is calling me and Delta Force is sitting in the room at the end of the hallway where I am at. Why can't she use them as she is the VP? Oh, US Forces weren't allowed outside thew wire and they didn't want the polticial risk of it.

THere are also other stories floating about and hopefully they come out one day. Of the mess the polticians created.

THere are also other stories floating about and hopefully they come out one day. Of the mess the polticians created.
After Osama Bin Laden was killed and al-Queda was dismantled for the most part, it was time for the U.S. to withdraw. We had no business spending all of that time and treasure nation building in a place like Afghanistan (especially in light of the fact that almost all of the major backers of al-Queda were otherwise from Saudi Arabia, whom we weren't going to go after).

After Osama Bin Laden was killed and al-Queda was dismantled for the most part, it was time for the U.S. to withdraw. We had no business spending all of that time and treasure nation building in a place like Afghanistan (especially in light of the fact that almost all of the major backers of al-Queda were otherwise from Saudi Arabia, whom we weren't going to go after).
That doesn't mean we should have left the way Mush did it.

You're correct, we should have left years earlier. The Afghan govt. was corrupt and its people by and large did not want to fight on behalf of it.

I'm curious ..... can anyone point to an example of an ideal evacuation, with the enemy at the gates of the capitol city?

You're correct, we should have left years earlier. The Afghan govt. was corrupt and its people by and large did not want to fight on behalf of it.

I'm curious ..... can anyone point to an example of an ideal evacuation, with the enemy at the gates of the capitol city?
Well, you don't do it the way we did it. You have a terms based withdraw. You keep the other airbase you gave up. you set up a permiter with more forces and you don't let the state dept run the operations. We made a hoset of mistakes that a private could have planned better. Remember Mush started withdrawing months earlier and gave up the other air base and pull out nearly everyone at then the main airpot basically became an embassy run by the state dept. He should have never just picked a date and said we are out by this date and broadcast it. He pulled out intelligence and eyes.

He was just set on a date and come hell or high water we are out. Tactically you push out the perimeter from that airpot, but the military was not allowed to.

There is a lot that was done wrong, everyone knows it. It ended up really bad and nearly worse. I am just going to leave it at that. Like it nearly went really really bad. To the point it would have been devastating.

It was a debacle and one of the most embarrasing and tragic moments in US history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT