ADVERTISEMENT

The Band & ND

We can get all 40 of them to stand really close to the camera and it will look like there are 140 of them... Best part is, they definitely won't march out of frame.
So CNN is broadcasting their performance?

Reactions: Elkview
Not to rag on the hard work they do and their dedication, but with the small numbers they have, I hope they don't go to ND. I've seen larger bands from Middle Schools. ugh!

Not to rag on the hard work they do and their dedication, but with the small numbers they have, I hope they don't go to ND. I've seen larger bands from Middle Schools. ugh!

Really, middle schools?
Dude, I know you're trying to be cute and witty, but come on. The band has had as many as 300 members and has over 100 members annually
Class conflicts, different interests, burning bridges, director changes, etc. a lot of different factors have gone into their numbers.
They've marched in Europe recently fpr New Year's Day parades, so they're not as incompetent as you'd think.
I am glad ND is going to showcase their band and not, you know, a football game. Perhaps fans need to worry about MU not getting pummeled first.

Finally, it's ND. They have everything better than everyone else, even an unconfirmed endorsement from Jesus. Many bands, fanbases, and programs come up well short by comparison.

Reactions: MarshallSnare
Really, middle schools?
Dude, I know you're trying to be cute and witty, but come on. The band has had as many as 300 members and has over 100 members annually
Class conflicts, different interests, burning bridges, director changes, etc. a lot of different factors have gone into their numbers.
They've marched in Europe recently fpr New Year's Day parades, so they're not as incompetent as you'd think.
I am glad ND is going to showcase their band and not, you know, a football game. Perhaps fans need to worry about MU not getting pummeled first.

Finally, it's ND. They have everything better than everyone else, even an unconfirmed endorsement from Jesus. Many bands, fanbases, and programs come up well short by comparison.
If they can get the numbers up, by all means go. It would be a treat for them. Maybe the old director had issues, but for whatever reason, they need to get the numbers up. It's embarrassing to have a band as small as last years. Shouldn't happen.

Unless the band is able to grow via the “Treble clef” portal, it will take a couple of seasons recruiting new members to actually grow the numbers……jmo

If they can get the numbers up, by all means go. It would be a treat for them. Maybe the old director had issues, but for whatever reason, they need to get the numbers up. It's embarrassing to have a band as small as last years. Shouldn't happen.

Soooo...
You accept MU is not going to have a budget to be as big as most others, let alone P5 programs, in many facets of such things.

Then you complain about the band (among other aspects of the AD) actually being small...and everything you claim to say, "We just need to accept the reality..."

But, this sort of logic does sound decently intelligent next to you actually comparing ND to Marshall, in anything, ever.

Soooo...
You accept MU is not going to have a budget to be as big as most others, let alone P5 programs, in many facets of such things.

Then you complain about the band (among other aspects of the AD) actually being small...and everything you claim to say, "We just need to accept the reality..."

But, this sort of logic does sound decently intelligent next to you actually comparing ND to Marshall, in anything, ever.
The band is not part of the AD. They have their own budget from the music dept.
I've never compared Marshall to ND in anything. Not sure where that came from. Carry on.

The band is not part of the AD. They have their own budget from the music dept.
I've never compared Marshall to ND in anything. Not sure where that came from. Carry on.
The whole thing. AD, music dept, etc., the entirety of MU is small.
With ND, and only ND, you said it'd be better for the band to not even show up.
Then, 2 weeks later, you'd be on here kicking about complaining that MU didn't bring the band.
Sounds to me like a comparison.

Carry on...and then carry on.

Really, middle schools?

Not trying to put the band down. They are going through a tough time at the moment. But you are wrong. Never in the history of the band have they been near 300. Tops is 220or so in the 80s.

Not trying to put the band down. They are going through a tough time at the moment. But you are wrong. Never in the history of the band have they been near 300. Tops is 220or so in the 80s.

Spoke to a friend of mine who was in it back in the day. She said it had been as high as 300 (give or take) and as low as low 100's.

GHMY - worst nitpicker on Herd Nation!! Reminds me of the line Ty says to Judge Smailes in the clubhouse bar: (puts his arm around JS shoulder) “My father…….never liked you!”
He gets off on playing message board gotcha. I don't think he has any interest in the actual discussions just reading every post trying to find some way to call someone out.

Spoke to a friend of mine who was in it back in the day. She said it had been as high as 300 (give or take) and as low as low 100's.
I was in it back in the day. And have followed it since then. Also know the history of it from people that were in it before me for like 20 years. (I was there in the mid 80's). Trust me it has never been that big. Your friend is mistaken.

I was in it back in the day. And have followed it since then. Also know the history of it from people that were in it before me for like 20 years. (I was there in the mid 80's). Trust me it has never been that big. Your friend is mistaken.
Well, I guess she is then, or was saying 300 as a ceiling and not an exact one. I do credit her recognition that the band has had very large numbers off and on and I do believe there has been static in consistency due to many other reasons.

He gets off on playing message board gotcha. I don't think he has any interest in the actual discussions just reading every post trying to find some way to call someone out.
It is difficult to engage in conversations with people who say one thing, then wish for another, are critical of someone who is new at their job, then mad the person isn't perfect.
I'm all for discussion about MU and all things with it, just stay consistent.
MU is either a small, humble, poor WV school who will routinely struggle with pretty much all things...
Or MU is poorly run because they can raise money and have money and are selling everyone short at being an Access Bowl regular.

Of course, people like yourself with tons of HC experience in the D1 collegiate level, who is above posting on message boards because he exists in the real world, would never be someone to do thi-- oh...nevermind.

It is difficult to engage in conversations with people who say one thing, then wish for another, are critical of someone who is new at their job, then mad the person isn't perfect.
I'm all for discussion about MU and all things with it, just stay consistent.
MU is either a small, humble, poor WV school who will routinely struggle with pretty much all things...
Or MU is poorly run because they can raise money and have money and are selling everyone short at being an Access Bowl regular.

Of course, people like yourself with tons of HC experience in the D1 collegiate level, who is above posting on message boards because he exists in the real world, would never be someone to do thi-- oh...nevermind.
I don't have to be Knute Rockne to know my backup QB needs reps during games in case my starter goes down or not to chuck it deep on a 4th and short when we need to salt the game away.

Too much is made about Huff being a first time HC. He's played and coached football long enough to know better than to do things we were doing last season. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was partly Cramsey, but then again he did decide keep him.

The only thing that a first time college HC needs to learn is how to be a CEO. How to hire a good coaching staff. Huff has made several questionable decisions so far. Even deciding to hire Clint as the OC. Nothing against Clint. He may turn out good, but for someone like Huff who is looking to move up and do it quickly, hiring a first time OC with barely any time spent in the coaching ranks is a head scratcher.

I don't have to be Knute Rockne to know my backup QB needs reps during games in case my starter goes down or not to chuck it deep on a 4th and short when we need to salt the game away.

Too much is made about Huff being a first time HC. He's played and coached football long enough to know better than to do things we were doing last season. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was partly Cramsey, but then again he did decide keep him.

The only thing that a first time college HC needs to learn is how to be a CEO. How to hire a good coaching staff. Huff has made several questionable decisions so far. Even deciding to hire Clint as the OC. Nothing against Clint. He may turn out good, but for someone like Huff who is looking to move up and do it quickly, hiring a first time OC with barely any time spent in the coaching ranks is a head scratcher.

As I said in the other thread, Huff doesn't need to swing for the fences. While I believe he is, his efforts only need to get him 8 wins for more money and a P5 job, as evidenced by his inquiry to leave after just 7 wins.

Being a HC/CEO and a coordinator, regardless of where, are very, very different things. CEO's/HC's are a different psychological breed. If you took a handful of average coach types and put them in charge of entire D1 football programs, you'd get very different results than the kinds of coaches who actively seek those HC positions as long term career options.
I think too many are offered the job and money but don't realize what they really have to do and are in over their heads. Hence why I prefer hiring from the FCS ranks since they are aware of what they're getting into.

Huff may have lost games he shouldn't have, but lets also give him some credit for a first timer, minus WKU in the regular season, most were losses within a TD...so at least he wasn't being blown out.

As I said in the other thread, Huff doesn't need to swing for the fences. While I believe he is, his efforts only need to get him 8 wins for more money and a P5 job, as evidenced by his inquiry to leave after just 7 wins.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, and I have heard things such as the bolded text, but is there confirmation of that? Again, not doubting you, I just personally haven't seen any sources confirming that (BUT I haven't been looking hard either).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT