ADVERTISEMENT

The Basketball Tournament 2021

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007

Charleston will host a 16 team "regional" for the alumni based "The Basketball Tournament", a 64 team single elimination $1M winner take all basketball event July 17-21. Event will be on ESPN and ESPN+.

The two "host" teams will be the Marshall based "Herd That" and the USPAM based "Best Virginia".

The tournament draw is out. Herd That (MU) is seeded third and will open the tournament at noon on July 17th on ESPN against "Team DRC" which is associated with retired NFL player Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Best Virginia (WVU) is seeded second and will follow against "WoCo Showtime" which is associated with Wofford.

Assuming no upsets, they would play again at 7 and 9 the following Monday, and then play each other for a spot in the final bracket that Wednesday.

Other teams in the Charleston bracket are SIdeline Cancer, Armored Athlete, War Ready (Auburn), Team 23 (players living in Phoenix), D2 (Div. II alumni), Prime Time Players, Fort Wayne Champs (players with a connection to Fort Wayne), Bleed Virginia (mid-major alumni from Virginia), Georgia Kingz (Georgia), Bucketneers (East Tennessee State), HBCUnited (HBCUs), and Founding Fathers (James Madison).

Sam are you seriously interested in that tournament? I find it amazing that if all people on here you would be discussing that event. By the way have you donated to support their team?

I love this tournament. I wish basketball would adopt this ending. Stop all those fouls and timeouts at the end of the game. No more 20 minutes to play the last two minutes of the game. No more overtime.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Sam are you seriously interested in that tournament? I find it amazing that if all people on here you would be discussing that event. By the way have you donated to support their team?

Why not? Its Marshall, well Marshall-esque, sports. Why wouldn't I be interested? Our mediocre (123-99 against DI competition) coach is uninvolved. This is a winner-take-all tournament. Mediocrity not accepted.

I did not even know they were accepting donations. Is that required to be bona fide or something, or can I just like it for free?

Love the end of game rules, too.

I love this tournament. I wish basketball would adopt this ending. Stop all those fouls and timeouts at the end of the game. No more 20 minutes to play the last two minutes of the game. No more overtime.
Guess you didn't see the ending to the Clippers/Suns game last night.

Why not? Its Marshall, well Marshall-esque, sports. Why wouldn't I be interested? Our mediocre (123-99 against DI competition) coach is uninvolved. This is a winner-take-all tournament. Mediocrity not accepted.

He took over a program that had gone 12-19 and 9-22 against D1 competition in the previous two years. It's reasonable and widely accepted that a new coach needs a couple of years to turn a program around that had been that bad.

In just his second season, he turned the program around to have a winning record. Removing his first two years for the time that is reasonable to change the program, he has gone 97-62 against D1 competition. He has had six straight winning seasons. Marshall hasn't had more than three straight winning seasons since the early 80s.

Let me say that again: Danny has had six straight winning seasons. Before Danny, Marshall hadn't had more than three straight winning seasons (half as many as Danny currently has) in 35 years.

He took over a program that had gone 12-19 and 9-22 against D1 competition in the previous two years. It's reasonable and widely accepted that a new coach needs a couple of years to turn a program around that had been that bad.

In just his second season, he turned the program around to have a winning record. Removing his first two years for the time that is reasonable to change the program, he has gone 97-62 against D1 competition. He has had six straight winning seasons. Marshall hasn't had more than three straight winning seasons since the early 80s.

Let me say that again: Danny has had six straight winning seasons. Before Danny, Marshall hadn't had more than three straight winning seasons (half as many as Danny currently has) in 35 years.
I agree with you. I’ve never understood the hate for DD. Marshall has high football expectations since the mid 80’s, basketball not so much. C-USA is a better basketball league compared to the football side of the house, and Doc only put together a string of 4 winning seasons in a row against trash competition.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT