ADVERTISEMENT

The college football playoff is the ruination of bowls and college football

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
The bowls outside ofnthe playoff have been diminished. The regular season is slowly being diminished. I have watched fewer bowls this year. The cotton bowl was played on a friday three days before new years? I was trying to watch wisconsin vs miami and all the time i was thinking this is a waste and why would any of their fans pay to go to the bowl game?

Why would that running back for penn state even play? Why risk injury.

Bring back thr tradition. It was much better. Alabama vs clemson starts at 9pm on a work night. Will be in bed by half time.

The bowls outside ofnthe playoff have been diminished. The regular season is slowly being diminished. I have watched fewer bowls this year. The cotton bowl was played on a friday three days before new years? I was trying to watch wisconsin vs miami and all the time i was thinking this is a waste and why would any of their fans pay to go to the bowl game?

Bring back thr tradition. It was much better. Alabama vs clemson starts at 9pm on a work night. Will be in bed by half time.
I agree.

But I think the playoff has just made everyone realize how stupid the idea of a one game post-season really is. Its just a bunch of games for a bunch of sponsers to advertise their crap.

The actual playoff is meaningful. Win and play for a National Title. Doesn’t get more American than that. Not, “win and you get to be godaddy.com Bowl CHAMPS with a 7-6 record. Woohoo!”

What would that Miami -Wisconsin game have meant 5 years ago? It still wouldn't have had NC implications.

I think having so many bowls that teams with losing records can now play in them has done far more to diminish the prestige of bowl games.

Call me bored or ignorant, I love every bowl I can watch (although some bad games this year for sure) and would be OK with even more. Just extends the college football season for me while making money for sponsors and TV (errr..ESPN mostly).

What would that Miami -Wisconsin game have meant 5 years ago? It still wouldn't have had NC implications.

I think having so many bowls that teams with losing records can now play in them has done far more to diminish the prestige of bowl games.

Nobody with a losing regular season played in a bowl game this year.

Reactions: MU ATO and JC102
Every change to the bowl system they have made over the years has been for the negative, with the exception of expanding the number of bowls so teams do not get rewarded for a good season.

The open season bowls were better than the BcS, and the BcS, despite its one obvious flaw, was better than what we have now, and, in a couple of years, when the playoffs expand to 8 and then 12 and then 16 each will be worse than the previous version.

While I agree we probably have too many bowl games now I still enjoy them. Now it is another 8 months till CFB starts again!

College football has never been more popular. Next topic!
College football attendance has been on the decline for at least 6 years.
-------------
Attendance at the top division of college football dropped for the seventh straight year, according to Bloomberg’s analysis of data from the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The modest average decline—roughly a percentage point per year—includes consistently sold-out powerhouses that cover some steep drop-offs.
-------------------------------

When I was a kid, NYD meant wall to wall bowl games on all three networks.

That's a great point. It's hard to believe there was ONE game over the air yesterday.

Plus I hate that the big bowls no longer have their conference tie-ins. Oklahoma and Georgia in the Rose Bowl, seriously WTF? That was a great game but liked it better when the Rose Bowl was what you got for winning the Big Ten every single damn year. That's a lot more glamorous than the Orange Bowl and not even playing on New Year's Day.

Like I said nobody from THIS SEASON played in a bowl game with a losing record.

Yeah and I'm not quite sure what your point was.

There's so many bowl games losing teams are now getting bids more often than not. The fact that it didn't happen this year doesn't change that.

That being said, I'm fine with as many bowl games as they want to play. I think they're fun as long as you don't oversell the value of being a "bowl team." Which undeniably isn't what it once was. And to be honest, Doc would only be 1-0, maybe 2-0 in bowls under the old system. So I enjoy seeing us play more games.

But to Herdmans point, if you miss the excitement of the previous bowl system than I don't think the excitement is lacking due to the CFP, it's due to there being so many games that either 2 of the last 3 or 3 of the last 4 years, multiple teams with Losing records have been afforded bowl bids.

College football attendance has been on the decline for at least 6 years.
-------------
Attendance at the top division of college football dropped for the seventh straight year, according to Bloomberg’s analysis of data from the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The modest average decline—roughly a percentage point per year—includes consistently sold-out powerhouses that cover some steep drop-offs.
-------------------------------

I’m sure our strong economy and great job creation and fighting back on wasteful spending the last guy did for 8 years didn’t have any effect on people/fans cutting back somewhere like entertainment on a Saturday, especially with ticket prices goin up and up and up....

Reactions: Elkview
"I’m sure our strong economy and great job creation and fighting back on wasteful spending the last guy did for 8 years didn’t have any effect on people/fans cutting back somewhere like entertainment on a Saturday, especially with ticket prices goin up and up and up...."

This cold weather is atrocious. Thanks Obama! It seems everything is his fault.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I watched quite a few of the bowl games and enjoyed them for what they are: an entertaining college football game. Yes, there were some bowl games I didn't watch, like Camellia, Boca, Quick Lane, Gator, Citrus, and Cotton but I enjoyed the majority of those I did watch. I will admit though that I do enjoy watching the FCS and DII playoffs more than the bowl games but how can it be a bad thing to have more football to watch?

LOL. Lame.

People that whine about Bowl games are usually complete hypocrites. Are you one? Usually at the beginning of the season they are excited and will watch any and all football. Sitting and waiting in anticipation of Wake Forest vs Idaho or Utah State vs Elon. Yet come Bowl season when all the best teams are on display in matchups all across the country the Bowl day Babies come out and start whining and moaning. It’s an attention thing. Want a cookie?

If you hate football all season long then why bother?

Which is it?

Do you hate football all year long or do you just seek attention at the end of the year?

The BCS & CFP have taken meaning away from the college football regular season. The BCS & CFP made it where teams right off the start were not playing for a national championship. The BCS & CFP made it where teams that didn’t even win a conf championship could play for a “national” championship. The BCS & CFP made it where teams didn’t even play for their conf champlionship yet could play for a “national” championship. The BCS was set up to keep power in one place and did everything they could to segregate college football. The CFP which is now determined by only 13 people with biased agendas have continued this segregation.

People think Bowl games ruin a regular season? Hahahahahaha. Seriously. Stop. SERIOUSLY.

To be fair to I am herd man I unfairly labeled him a Bowl Hater. In actuality it appears his complaint is more about what the CFP has done to the Bowl Games and not just complaining about bowls. So instead of deleting or editing my previous post I’ll apologize here for unfair labels which appear to be unfounded.

LOL. Lame.

People that whine about Bowl games are usually complete hypocrites. Are you one? Usually at the beginning of the season they are excited and will watch any and all football. Sitting and waiting in anticipation of Wake Forest vs Idaho or Utah State vs Elon. Yet come Bowl season when all the best teams are on display in matchups all across the country the Bowl day Babies come out and start whining and moaning. It’s an attention thing. Want a cookie?

If you hate football all season long then why bother?

Which is it?

Do you hate football all year long or do you just seek attention at the end of the year?
i am a Marshall fan, I hate football a lot sometimes.

No, I don't watch many of the bowls. I watch Marshall and some of the "big" match ups.

I’m sure our strong economy and great job creation and fighting back on wasteful spending the last guy did for 8 years didn’t have any effect on people/fans cutting back somewhere like entertainment on a Saturday, especially with ticket prices goin up and up and up....

You finally got part of it right at the very end. Ticket prices are up, due to the never-ending arms race in college football. And it's TV's. Why go to a game when you can watch it at home on a 80" HDTV?

Reactions: caliherd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT