ADVERTISEMENT

The Legend Returns

Aaron's not wrong - Pruett has been stirring the shhh for his predecessors ever since he left the job. If you think of the guy as holy, you're obviously gonna take his side in that, but he has definitely made life more difficult for the people trying to make Marshall athletics happen these last 15 years.

This stuff is all-too-relatable for me (as I think it would be for a lot of folks working in the business world), if you've ever replaced someone in a position they maybe didn't leave willingly, more often than not they're gonna eff with you. Hell, I've even had retired people, who left of their own volition, decide that poisoning the well against me was worth doing, just for the sake of their ego, or spite.

Marshall has tried for the last 17-18 years to right the ship and run a cleaner program than it had in the past, but the ugly truth is that approach just doesn't win the stuff that matters. When you're trying to punch above your weight class (which Marshall always will be, playing FBS), you have to have some kind of competitive advantage otherwise the Harsh Whip of Reality is gonna do its thing, year-in and year-out.

I sincerely believe the people who engineered Holliday's dismissal would be elated if Huff went "old school." I think I might be on board too; one thing I remember vividly from the Pruett years was we rarely flogged the plane crash for publicity. It'd be nice to return to that.

I don't think Bob Pruett or anyone else not named Moss can take credit for a Marshall player being in the hall of fame. He could have went to West Virginia State and still would have made it.

SO what we've learned from this thread is that for Marshall to be successful in football or basketball on a continuous basis, we have to cheat. Wonder how Boise, UCF, Cincy and a few others do it. How does Bama and Clemson stay on top so consistantly? They all cheat and get away with it?

Reactions: caliherd
SO what we've learned from this thread is that for Marshall to be successful in football or basketball on a continuous basis, we have to cheat. Wonder how Boise, UCF, Cincy and a few others do it. How does Bama and Clemson stay on top so consistantly? They all cheat and get away with it?
yes. most likely the case.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Pruett has been stirring the shhh for his predecessors ever since he left the job. If you think of the guy as holy, you're obviously gonna take his side in that, but he has definitely made life more difficult for the people trying to make Marshall athletics happen these last 15 years.
I dont believe anyone thinks Pruett as "holy". The fact is most of what Pruett is being blamed for here (violations) pre-dated his arrival by at least a generation.

Had the tan man been a winner, or had Holliday not been a complete asshole to anyone outside the shewey, my bet is Pruett would have been content to sit back and watch the program grow in success...instead of languishing in mediocrity.

When I was on campus that is what was talked about. I can't speak to the recruiting violations that did or did not take place, but I know for a fact there was steroid use and drug tests were being "taken care of." I was told that by several players.

I know for a fact that tests were being taken for players or at least giving them advantages to pass tests that regular students didn't get. I know that papers were being written for players.

Like I said about the recruiting violations I was never told in detail what allegedly took place.

However neither here nor there. The point is Bob wasn't running a clean program and we got hammered for it. Whether he was handed those issues from a previous staff doesn't matter he continued them. What was or was not in that report doesn't really change it. Pruett is not this perfect godlike figure so many make him out to be.

Your definition of “fact” is loose.

Reactions: caliherd and 19MU88
Hey. If you are happy to have someone back that had slammed and demeaned your program the last 15 years then so be it. Good for you! Enjoy

Demeaned the program for 15 years? You mean he didn’t care for the level it sank to under Mark and then the lower level it was performing at vs. what could possibly be argued as lesser competition? He wasn’t publicly trashing the program was he?

Pruett loves, eats sleeps and breathes Marshall, Huntington and the state of WV. I’d take his back any day faults and all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT