ADVERTISEMENT

The Wedge Driver

Bottom line folks. If we would have beat Rice and UAB many of you would have been quiet like Church folks having an affair. Also, it really doesn’t matter if Mr. Hamrick is retained. Why? You want Marshall Fans to run? Ask them to open their checkbooks.
Sorry that wins count. Does at every school in the country. Too many years of what if’s and woulda, coulda, shoulda.

It is really pretty simple. Understand that realistic fans see no issues between the two sports, or the two coaches. But then there is this superfan turned rotten minority. They have the views of a 12 year old relative to MU football. MU is supposed to win every game because it is supposed to. A childish and pointless circular argument. To compound this childish view, they feel winning every game is really not that big a deal, because of the supposed ease in the conference, irrelevance of its bowl tie ins, and other such ho ha. Nothing that happens in football will ever suit this crew.

Then this minority doubles down on basketball. First they have the mythological great past for MU basketball, particularly the MD and DD era. MU has had a few up periods, but not many. Then they add to it this with this idea that, in this conference where at least a third of the teams make a total token effort at basketball, somehow, once, from 4th place, the team got on a hot streak and actually went to the NCAA and actually won ONE GAME versus another mid-major program of no particular merit. Having sat through the abject failure that was MU basketball from Huck's demise until DD, they have forgotten that making the NCAA and winning in it should be the MINIMUM standard required, particularly in a conference such as this, so weak in basketball.

This crew is eventually going to destroy both sports, with their delusion and derision.

Everything you have said in your above post is nonsensical Sam drivel that has zero amount of truth to it.

Old WV mentality people like yourself who still see Marshall football as the school in the 70s who plays at Fairfield and is just lucky to field a team is the reason that our football program has completely stagnated. It’s a complete acceptance of mediocrity.

It’s funny you repeat the same lies and no matter how many times you repeat it doesn’t make it true. Nobody even the most ridiculous Doc haters on this board or any other board expects Marshall to win every game. We do expect to win this conference most every year because it is awful I can’t stress this enough CUSA is horrible at football. The current CUSA is worse than the MAC when we joined it and dominated it. We now have way more advantages in regards to facilities, history, coach’s salaries, etc so yes we do expect to win this conference more often than we lose it. We consistently play a schedule that is ranked in the bottom 100 of FBS football so yes we expect to win the majority of our games.

Our conference which is the majority of our games are made up of 90% of teams that are ranked in the bottom 100 of FBS football including some being ranked below FCS teams. So yes we do expect to win this conference more often than once every 11 years.

Marshall has every advantage that you can have in football over our conference mates. We have a top flight stadium, IPF, weight room etc. We have a better fan base than anybody in the conference including Southern Miss. We have by far again this isn’t even close a better recent history of success. More NFL players. The list goes on and on.

From 1987 to 2004 we were one of the top programs of our peers. At the IAA level we were one of the Alabama, Clemson, Ohio States team at that level. We won and played for multiple national championships. Were yearly ranked in the IAA top 10. 5 of those years we played in the worst football stadium in college football. We then moved to FBS and had multiple championships, bowl wins heisman finalists and top 25 finishes. We were one of the top G5’s in the country. Even in 2004 we took ranked Georgia and Ohio State teams to the wire. The Georgia coach said take the logo off the helmet and our speed was like playing an SEC school.

Since 2004 we have moved conferences paid our coaches more money, greatly upgraded our facilities, had a major motion picture made about us etc. and play in a worse conference than the MAC we left so yeah you are damn right we expect more. If we were trying to compare ourselves to the upper echelon of college football then no we don’t expect that. But winning a conference with schools that have zero tradition that are ranked in the bottom of the FBS pack then yes we do expect more. The problem is the university and many fans like yourself do not.

I won’t even respond to your basketball nonsense because it’s not even worth responding to.

I agree with a lot of what you say but a lot don’t like Docs personality and that makes it easy to not like the program when it screws up. Many people have complained about that as much as the lack of success or the stupid play calling etc.

as I said in another post...my comments are not made in defense of our program lack of championships or major melt down this year. They are clearly made in my observation of some of our fans. Just because I support the kids on the field or court doesn’t mean I agree with everything that goes on in Our two major sports with our coaching. I can look at both program objectively and give constructive criticism. I have said many times it drives me crazy at our lack of success in “big games” in both sports against teams from a major conference.
Definitely understand that about some fans. I'm not a Doc hater by any stretch of the imagination but am definitely suffering from "Doc fatigue". We used to sit next to some older fans that if we were winning by 21 we should be up by 28, if we gained 15 yards we should have gained 20. You just can't please some people no matter what you do or what success you have.

Reactions: putnam green
It is really pretty simple. Understand that realistic fans see no issues between the two sports, or the two coaches. But then there is this superfan turned rotten minority. They have the views of a 12 year old relative to MU football. MU is supposed to win every game because it is supposed to. A childish and pointless circular argument. To compound this childish view, they feel winning every game is really not that big a deal, because of the supposed ease in the conference, irrelevance of its bowl tie ins, and other such ho ha. Nothing that happens in football will ever suit this crew.

Then this minority doubles down on basketball. First they have the mythological great past for MU basketball, particularly the MD and DD era. MU has had a few up periods, but not many. Then they add to it this with this idea that, in this conference where at least a third of the teams make a total token effort at basketball, somehow, once, from 4th place, the team got on a hot streak and actually went to the NCAA and actually won ONE GAME versus another mid-major program of no particular merit. Having sat through the abject failure that was MU basketball from Huck's demise until DD, they have forgotten that making the NCAA and winning in it should be the MINIMUM standard required, particularly in a conference such as this, so weak in basketball.

This crew is eventually going to destroy both sports, with their delusion and derision.
1 championship in 11 years in a terrible league. End of story.

Everything you have said in your above post is nonsensical Sam drivel that has zero amount of truth to it.

The mean mean man says things I wish were not true, but I cannot disprove anything, so I will just use meaningless hyperbole like "nonsensical". Make him stop

Old WV mentality people like yourself who still see Marshall football as the school in the 70s who plays at Fairfield and is just lucky to field a team is the reason that our football program has completely stagnated. It’s a complete acceptance of mediocrity.

The "old mentality" around here is the opposite. The entitled and ungrateful crew that does not respect, or even realize, the sacrifices that were made to keep football alive, and then to grow it, and to understand how small (4th smallest public school, smallest public school to not contain the name of the state within it) the school is, and the state is (smallest state to have 2 I-A teams). Yes, I am VERY PROUD of our school for choosing to be one of the 130 elite schools that are I-A, especially at a level above the lowly MAC. Elite. There are 100 or 150 schools in a position to do what we have done. But we did it, while others cower in I-AA, or the lowly MAC, or have no team at all. 130. Elite.

The old mentality is the crew that sit about on their a**es, and just "expects" MU to have elite sports because it is somehow "supposed" to have them. That MU sports is some kinds of public service that "they" (some combination of some level of government, the local gentry, and big companies, I have never really been sure" provide.

Get a new mentality. Respect the past, be PROUD of what we accomplish, expect nothing, and live and die with our ELITE program.

t’s funny you repeat the same lies and no matter how many times you repeat it doesn’t make it true.

The mean mean man says things I wish were not true, so I will call them lies.

And now the delusional argument of a little kid:

Nobody even the most ridiculous Doc haters on this board or any other board expects Marshall to win every game. We do expect to win this conference most every year because it is awful I can’t stress this enough CUSA is horrible at football. The current CUSA is worse than the MAC when we joined it and dominated it. We now have way more advantages in regards to facilities, history, coach’s salaries, etc so yes we do expect to win this conference more often than we lose it.

We consistently play a schedule that is ranked in the bottom 100 of FBS football so yes we expect to win the majority of our games.

You do realize that there are 130 "FBS" AKA I-A teams, so everybody not in the SEC is pretty much playing a schedule in the "bottom 100".

Marshall has every advantage that you can have in football over our conference mates. We have a top flight stadium, IPF, weight room etc. We have a better fan base than anybody in the conference including Southern Miss. We have by far again this isn’t even close a better recent history of success. More NFL players. The list goes on and on.

We do have more (it is hard to say "better") fans. The rest is pure BS. You are looking for a way to say that it is not delusional to say "MU is supposed to win every game" and not come off sounding like a little kid. You failed.

I won’t even respond to your basketball nonsense because it’s not even worth responding to.

Because it is all true. Anything anyone can say about CUSA football (and be wrong) one can say about CUSA basketball, and be dead on. This league was created by teams all wanting to be on the same football level. Basketball and everything else was just brought along for the ride. Programs at vastly different levels. MU is among the top third of CUSA in basketball, and the acceptance of mediocrity is shocking. We should expect to beat half the league automatically every year because half the league could not care less about basketball.

The "old mentality" around here is the opposite. The entitled and ungrateful crew that does not respect, or even realize, the sacrifices that were made to keep football alive

Excellent point Sam...

If this were 40 + years ago.

You really must be someone with no ambition or energy in life. That or you don't really care about Marshall Football and just want to be an argumentative prick, because you know it will garner attention from us.

Reactions: caliherd
The mean mean man says things I wish were not true, but I cannot disprove anything, so I will just use meaningless hyperbole like "nonsensical". Make him stop

The "old mentality" around here is the opposite. The entitled and ungrateful crew that does not respect, or even realize, the sacrifices that were made to keep football alive, and then to grow it, and to understand how small (4th smallest public school, smallest public school to not contain the name of the state within it) the school is, and the state is (smallest state to have 2 I-A teams). Yes, I am VERY PROUD of our school for choosing to be one of the 130 elite schools that are I-A, especially at a level above the lowly MAC. Elite. There are 100 or 150 schools in a position to do what we have done. But we did it, while others cower in I-AA, or the lowly MAC, or have no team at all. 130. Elite.

The old mentality is the crew that sit about on their a**es, and just "expects" MU to have elite sports because it is somehow "supposed" to have them. That MU sports is some kinds of public service that "they" (some combination of some level of government, the local gentry, and big companies, I have never really been sure" provide.

Get a new mentality. Respect the past, be PROUD of what we accomplish, expect nothing, and live and die with our ELITE program.

The mean mean man says things I wish were not true, so I will call them lies.

And now the delusional argument of a little kid:

You do realize that there are 130 "FBS" AKA I-A teams, so everybody not in the SEC is pretty much playing a schedule in the "bottom 100".

We do have more (it is hard to say "better") fans. The rest is pure BS. You are looking for a way to say that it is not delusional to say "MU is supposed to win every game" and not come off sounding like a little kid. You failed.

Because it is all true. Anything anyone can say about CUSA football (and be wrong) one can say about CUSA basketball, and be dead on. This league was created by teams all wanting to be on the same football level. Basketball and everything else was just brought along for the ride. Programs at vastly different levels. MU is among the top third of CUSA in basketball, and the acceptance of mediocrity is shocking. We should expect to beat half the league automatically every year because half the league could not care less about basketball.
The beauty of all of this is that the supporters that you hate are going to get their way. Must suck for you.

Congratulations.

In a few years, as MU is left behind in the next realignment, returns to the lowly MAC or I-AA, and eventually drops football altogether, as you drive by the rotting hulk of the stadium, remember what used to be. And, while I know that you will blame "them" for not doing "their job" and providing you with MU football at no actual cost to you, I understand that it is rotten superfandom is what really killed MU athletics.

Congratulations.

In a few years, as MU is left behind in the next realignment, returns to the lowly MAC or I-AA, and eventually drops football altogether, as you drive by the rotting hulk of the stadium, remember what used to be. And, while I know that you will blame "them" for not doing "their job" and providing you with MU football at no actual cost to you, I understand that it is rotten superfandom is what really killed MU athletics.
What does that make us if we lost to a “lowly MAC” team in the bowl game? It’s more obvious with you than anyone else on this board that your fandom is with Doc and not MU. A true fan, whether disappointed with this decision or not, would not be making these projections. A true fan would be hopeful of what’s to come.

Hope without reason is delusion. Blunt fact is that the rotten superfan base has made this into an awful job. Unrealistic, entitled, and delusional. A young assistant or lower level head coach will certainly pass and look for a better opportunity, where results are appreciated. So we will probably get somebody with "issues" or a retread loser like Lambert, the first retread loser in football since Sonny, over 40 years ago.

While I certainly hope for the best, I understand that the best that can realistically can be achieved here is not nearly good enough for the entitled rotten superfan base, and thus, of course, known to any coach not desperate or incompetent, which is why they will wait for a much better opportunity.
Which is why I already understand, as you will someday soon, that the next coach will be right where Doc was within two seasons or less, in the eyes of the rotten superfans. Nothing that ever happens here will ever satisfy. Which is why I also already understand, as you will someday soon, that we will be left behind in the next realignment (which will feature the death of the lowly MAC, BTW) and that our financial situation mean that we have very little reserves to weather the coming storm, meaning the likelihood of MU football existing at all in 10 years is low, and at a level near to today's almost zero.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Hope without reason is delusion. Blunt fact is that the rotten superfan base has made this into an awful job. Unrealistic, entitled, and delusional. A young assistant or lower level head coach will certainly pass and look for a better opportunity, where results are appreciated. So we will probably get somebody with "issues" or a retread loser like Lambert, the first retread loser in football since Sonny, over 40 years ago.

While I certainly hope for the best, I understand that the best that can realistically can be achieved here is not nearly good enough for the entitled rotten superfan base, and thus, of course, known to any coach not desperate or incompetent, which is why they will wait for a much better opportunity.
Which is why I already understand, as you will someday soon, that the next coach will be right where Doc was within two seasons or less, in the eyes of the rotten superfans. Nothing that ever happens here will ever satisfy. Which is why I also already understand, as you will someday soon, that we will be left behind in the next realignment (which will feature the death of the lowly MAC, BTW) and that our financial situation mean that we have very little reserves to weather the coming storm, meaning the likelihood of MU football existing at all in 10 years is low, and at a level near to today's almost zero.
You're a loser Sam. Thanks for proving it with this post.

And that is where your error is.

Marshall University (and Athletics) is far more than one person, far more than two people, and far more than every single employee in Shewey. The institution has to come first, not the individual. If an individual(s) is not good for the institution, then donors/fans/supporters continuing to support that individual(s) hurts the institution.

. . .

Likewise, you need to realize that Marshall as an institution is more important than any one (or two or 50) individuals. Continuing to support everything inside of Shewey, just because it is part of the institution and avoiding the reality that the individual is harming the institution, is illogical.

Should I nail Doc for plagiarism?

tmq8qJs.jpg

In two years, when the first "Fire Brad" (or whoever) post hits, get back to me.

When (or if) MU ever plays in a bowl again, get back to me.

When the "winning CUSA should be automatic" childish idiocy resumes, get back to me.

In four or five years, when the next realignment comes, and MU is passed over totally, get back to me.

In 10 years, when MU football does not exist, get back to me.

Reality stinks. The reality is that the delusionals have destroyed this program.

I love your lowly MAC comments. Since Marshall has been in CUSA the lowly MAC has had a team in a BCS bowl AND a NY6 bowl. CUSA has had 0

Now that’s not to say the MAC is anything to brag about but let’s look at Coach Holidays record against the lowly MAC while we have been in this football powerhouse called CUSA that you speak of. This is not a pile on Doc this is to show the absurdity if the majority of things Sam says.

Bowl games we are 1-1 against the MAC. 1 blow out against Northern Illinois and a close loss to Buffalo.

Regular season total record Doc is 9-6 vs the lowly MAC

To make it worse
Our 2 home losses were not to the top of the MAC. It was to BG we were one of their 2 wins and the blowout to Akron who also had a losing record.
Bowling Green 2-10 last place in the MAC 2-10 BG beat us 44-28
Akron 5-7 3rd place in the MAC East (this was the 65-38 game)

Another interesting tidbit none of our regular season losses or wins came against a MAC team that won the MAC. The majority of the MAC schools we played were 500 or less.

So it’s interesting to me that you talk about the lowly MAC and over the last 11 years we are 9-6 in regular season games and in 3 of the losses we were blown out. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that we would have dominated the MAC if we were still in it instead of moving to CUSA.

Reactions: Always The Herd
In two years, when the first "Fire Brad" (or whoever) post hits, get back to me.

When the "winning CUSA should be automatic" childish idiocy resumes, get back to me.

In four or five years, when the next realignment comes, and MU is passed over totally, get back to me.

Reality stinks. The reality is that the delusionals have destroyed this program.

Are you saying you're gone until such time?

This is a win-win no matter how you slice it!

I will bet you as much money as you want (likely more than you have in your her bank account) that we play in a bowl next year.

But if Doc had stayed all of these misfortunes would have been overcome? Sam, take a chill pill. Are you Doc's agent?

If Doc had stayed we could've cut that down to 5yrs!

Congratulations.

We’re going to follow your lead.

“Great things come to those who expect nothing.” — @The Real SamC

I will bet you as much money as you want (likely more than you have in your her bank account) that we play in a bowl next year.
I would hope so. To play in CUSA and not go 6-6 you have to be a terrible team. Also consider 1 OOC game is against the mighty NC Central Eagles

Reactions: i am herdman
The Coastal Carolina story was the highlight of all these posts. It can be done at a university the size of Marshall. Just need to get the right people in place and get the community behind all the school's programs. It is hard to keep the politics out of any organization, but running the school in a businesslike way gets the best result. Hope we can do that at MU.

The Coastal Carolina story was the highlight of all these posts. It can be done at a university the size of Marshall. Just need to get the right people in place and get the community behind all the school's programs. It is hard to keep the politics out of any organization, but running the school in a businesslike way gets the best result. Hope we can do that at MU.

The sad thing is we had done that at MU, multiple times. Somewhere along the way we just lost sight though.

ADVERTISEMENT