ADVERTISEMENT

Thirteen Reason Why

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
Both the book and the Netflix series based on it is causing concern about glamorizing suicide among teens. This Colorado school is banning it after a rash of suicides...

http://wreg.com/2017/05/16/colorado...-after-7-students-recently-killed-themselves/

Is this censorship or responsible practice? I have mixed emotions. On one hand I deplore censorship...but obviously impressionable teens are being led by this.

Thoughts...

I didn't read the book, but I finished the season within a few days of it being on Netflix.

I think the benefits of it leading to discussion and change about a wide range of topics far outweigh any glamorizing of suicide it allegedly has. The actual suicide scene shows it being a very painful, sad, unattractive end.

I didn't read the book, but I finished the season within a few days of it being on Netflix.

I think the benefits of it leading to discussion and change about a wide range of topics far outweigh any glamorizing of suicide it allegedly has. The actual suicide scene shows it being a very painful, sad, unattractive end.

Agreed. Well done/acted series.

Should not let a teen watch it alone. Watch with them and use it as a means to discuss a series of difficult, but extremely relevant, topics.

Should not let a teen watch it alone. Watch with them and use it as a means to discuss a series of difficult, but extremely relevant, topics.

I had mentioned to a co-producer of the show that it would be great if schools were able to show it to 7th, 8th, or 9th graders. Unfortunately, ridiculous parents would complain due to the swearing/drinking/sex scenes. But watched as a group with the proper advising, it would elicit good discussions and behavioral changes for youths that age.

I had mentioned to a co-producer of the show that it would be great if schools were able to show it to 7th, 8th, or 9th graders. Unfortunately, ridiculous parents would complain due to the swearing/drinking/sex scenes. But watched as a group with the proper advising, it would elicit good discussions and behavioral changes for youths that age.

I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT