ADVERTISEMENT

***This could be it. Emergency Meeting Called Today***

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday, as there is growing concern among college athletics officials that the upcoming football season and other fall sports can't be played because of the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Several sources have indicated to ESPN that Big Ten presidents, following a meeting on Saturday, are ready to pull the plug on its fall sports season, and they wanted to gauge if commissioners and university presidents and chancellors from the other Power 5 conferences -- the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC -- will fall in line with them.

Sources told ESPN that a vast majority of Big Ten presidents have indicated that they would vote to postpone football season, hopefully to the spring. A Big Ten official confirmed to ESPN that no official vote took place during Saturday's meeting.

"It doesn't look good," one Power 5 athletic director said.

Sources: Power 5 talking about no fall football https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29629669/power-5-talking-no-fall-football
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

I don’t fully understand how it’s consistent to have in person/on campus classes but not college football (without fans).

If we’re going to be very careful and avoid football, it seems that level of avoidance would prohibit in person classes, dorms, dining halls, Greek houses, campus rec center gym, etc.

The house parties and bars (Up to 10pm) on my nearest campus (not MU) are fully going now with students heading back.

I’m slightly in the camp of no in person classes, but if you’re going to feed the higher ed bubble with those sweet sweet tuition dollars for in person classes it seems you’d want college football?

Aside: Does anyone know how the TV will/will not be given out if there are no games? I presume no revenue then but did ESPN already pay up front? I’m ignorant on this stuff.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
I don’t fully understand how it’s consistent to have in person/on campus classes but not college football (without fans).

If we’re going to be very careful and avoid football, it seems that level of avoidance would prohibit in person classes, dorms, dining halls, Greek houses, campus rec center gym, etc.

The house parties and bars (Up to 10pm) on my nearest campus (not MU) are fully going now with students heading back.

I’m slightly in the camp of no in person classes, but if you’re going to feed the higher ed bubble with those sweet sweet tuition dollars for in person classes it seems you’d want college football?

Aside: Does anyone know how the TV will/will not be given out if there are no games? I presume no revenue then but did ESPN already pay up front? I’m ignorant on this stuff.
I don’t disagree.

But do we know if enough teams can make it without ticket sales? The MAC closed up shop because they weren’t getting their big money paydays.

I wonder too if lack of a season will lead to a bigger appetite for sports or if people realize they don’t miss it (and their $ they pay to watch it) as much as they thought?

Reactions: caliherd
I don’t disagree.

But do we know if enough teams can make it without ticket sales? The MAC closed up shop because they weren’t getting their big money paydays.

I don’t know much about that side of things. I’m sure without football revenue the other sports are in big budget trouble. Lots of Title IX issues to go around if you start cutting too.

I don’t know much about that side of things. I’m sure without football revenue the other sports are in big budget trouble. Lots of Title IX issues to go around if you start cutting too.
I know these are unforeseen circumstances, but an “all-in” approach where a 1 year revenue sharing plan to keep everyone’s head above water (like you see in pro leagues) might be the answer.

But there’s no leadership position to force that. I’m not only fearful for the schools & programs, but also the communities and economies who rely on these revenue producing events.

Reactions: ohio herd
I also think players are probably less likely to go to some big house party, eg Nick Sabin contact traces your as* to some Tuscaloosa house party the week before the LSU game you’re in deep sh*t.

I’m not fully convinced the players are at greater risk around a team tested weekly versus on campus with less responsibility...or in their homes (many in poverty).

There are lots of things to consider here. But if we decide we’re sending the kids back on campus ...,

Metro News Sunday sports show cited a Kentucky sports source which said that the B10 was going to forego football this fall.

Do the coaches all get their salaries too?
Man, such a mess.
I don’t envy the decision makers.

At least some of it, I would think. My high school has committed to paying our coaches at least half of their coaching stipend if we ultimately decided to cancel athletics all together. Just recognizing that coaches don't just coach their kids during our three month seasons.

Reactions: ohio herd
Do the coaches all get their salaries too?
Man, such a mess.
I don’t envy the decision makers.
Of course they would. They all have contracts that must be honored. Of course if they do play this winter it wouldn't matter.

I made a couple of calls tonight and the power five season has been postponed until at least April. My sources are reliable.

Reactions: i am herdman
I made a couple of calls tonight and the power five season has been postponed until at least April. My sources are reliable.

Does that sound remotely correct to you?

There is no way in heck there will be "Spring" Football. Even if they cancel the OOC and play just conference in a truncated season it would take 3 to 3.5 months. Play from April to June, July?

Just to start training camp in August for 2021? A month off and then you are back at it again? Are they going to delay the NFL draft until after the NCAA season in July? Nope! Won't happen. If there is a season it will be November or December at latest, if not zilch.

Which case you will have a lot of Seniors who could be screwed out of millions in the next NFL Draft. Teams going to pay premium for a player who has not touched the field in over a year and a half.

It's my understanding that a major issue on the collegiate level is liability, and the fact that the athletes are not paid, nor do they have a union or other collective-bargaining mechanism to negotiate blanket agreement.

That makes sense. Players trying to do something like that on their own...

Reactions: Deepthroat69
Does that sound remotely correct to you?

There is no way in heck there will be "Spring" Football. Even if they cancel the OOC and play just conference in a truncated season it would take 3 to 3.5 months. Play from April to June, July?

Just to start training camp in August for 2021? A month off and then you are back at it again? Are they going to delay the NFL draft until after the NCAA season in July? Nope! Won't happen. If there is a season it will be November or December at latest, if not zilch.

Which case you will have a lot of Seniors who could be screwed out of millions in the next NFL Draft. Teams going to pay premium for a player who has not touched the field in over a year and a half.

I didn’t say it was going to happen regarding a spring season. My sources said that is what will be announced. I posted in another thread yesterday what the end result will be. If my info proves correct it will only confirm what I said yesterday.

I didn’t say it was going to happen regarding a spring season. My sources said that is what will be announced. I posted in another thread yesterday what the end result will be. If my info proves correct it will only confirm what I said yesterday.
Obviously we we all know soon. I have read that they want to start playing in December

Reactions: GreenDuke
I don’t see how Covid prevalence different in December....but I do think it feasible that testing (Ugh, US has failed in this regard) is better by then - new saliva rapid testing seems to be gaining traction. That could be helpful in this situation.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
I don’t see how Covid prevalence different in December....but I do think it feasible that testing (Ugh, US has failed in this regard) is better by then - new saliva rapid testing seems to be gaining traction. That could be helpful in this situation.
Not sure I have much faith in the saliva test. The Ohio governor tested positive with that and then negative 3 times in the next 3 days

Spent the weekend in Clemson playing in a golf event, which of course was full of Clemson boosters, season ticket holders, etc... And I heard the same thing. The proposed alternate season will be a shortened "spring showcase" where teams will play 5-6 games so the draft eligible players get to be in front of NFL scouts for actual live reps.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Obviously we we all know soon. I have read that they want to start playing in December

Really hope what I was told doesn’t happen. I’m praying for all students, including athletes, to get the best outcome as soon as possible.

I don’t really like a Dec start. If cbb is played a football “season” would just make a bad situation worse. The NCAA is very protective of March Madness, for billions of reasons. ;-)))

Carl - great point. From what I read, there is likely to be a spike in cases of COVID this winter, just like the regular flu. Makes even less sense to try and start playing when the virus does a better job of surviving in cold temps.....

I know these are unforeseen circumstances, but an “all-in” approach where a 1 year revenue sharing plan to keep everyone’s head above water (like you see in pro leagues) might be the answer.

But there’s no leadership position to force that. I’m not only fearful for the schools & programs, but also the communities and economies who rely on these revenue producing events.

Yep. You can already see the affects in Huntington. Downtown was doing great but COVID put the breaks on the momentum big time. Stores have closed permanently and some eateries may not come back. Now with no students coming back, that a huge nail in the coffin. Many college towns will suffer big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT