ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from a mid major Big Green donor

Herd Insider

Green Buffalo
Dec 29, 2013
Thoughts from a mid major Big Green donor. 1). It does not bother me one bit if the ticket prices are reduced to accommodate the socio-economic reality of our fan base. I have three parking passes on the West lot and seven Chair Back seats (whatever all that adds up to). 2) As a mid major donor who could travel with my family to any game, these are my thoughts on whether we would go to the week 11 projected bowls:

Akron @ St. Pete- Hell no. Not watching a MAC school.

Louisville @ Charlotte- Absolutely. Easy drive. Heisman winner. ACC.

Temple @ Boca- No. been there, done that. Yawn game. No greatness in winning. AAC but No.

Army @ Annapolis- Absolutely. Had a great time last time. National audience. Easy drive.

Northern Illinois @ Bahamas- (see Akron above) plus very expensive trip. No audience on TV or in person. Worst choice.

App. State @ New Orleans- Maybe (only because NO is my favorite U.S. city). Otherwise not going backwards in completion. Not watching a SB school.

Central Mich. @ Bahamas- No. (see Akron/ Northern Illinois above) Worst choice II

Houston @ Boca- Maybe. AAC. National TV audience. Nice crowd.

Western Michigan @ Boca- Hell no. (see Akron/ Northern Illinois/ Central Michigan above)

Having said that, I would go ANYWHERE in the US (even Dallas) or Caribbean to play a P5 school.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Thoughts from a mid major Big Green donor. 1). It does not bother me one bit if the ticket prices are reduced to accommodate the socio-economic reality of our fan base. I have three parking passes on the West lot and seven Chair Back seats (whatever all that adds up to). 2) As a mid major donor who could travel with my family to any game, these are my thoughts on whether we would go to the week 11 projected bowls:

Temple @ Boca- No. been there, done that. Yawn game. No greatness in winning. AAC but No.

Army @ Annapolis- Absolutely. Had a great time last time. National audience. Easy drive.

Northern Illinois @ Bahamas- (see Akron above) plus very expensive trip. No audience on TV or in person. Worst choice.

App. State @ New Orleans- Maybe (only because NO is my favorite U.S. city). Otherwise not going backwards in completion. Not watching a SB school.

Central Mich. @ Bahamas- No. (see Akron/ Northern Illinois above) Worst choice II

Western Michigan @ Boca- Hell no. (see Akron/ Northern Illinois/ Central Michigan above)

Having said that, I would go ANYWHERE in the US (even Dallas) or Caribbean to play a P5 school.

I'm a yes to everywhere except Bahamas. I do share the disappointment thought with MAC schools temple, or Appy...but what can I say, I like to party in FL and New Orleans

Not sure why the disappointment over playing a school from the MAC, AAC, or Sun Belt would be. You do realize we're at best, just like them, right? Hell, teams from those conferences probably share your same disappointment, over possibly having to play a team from the touted C-USofA.

I agree on the pricing situation; actually think that all prices should be reduced a bit. I know from my own experience that the less I spend to get into something the more I spend while I'm there; this was particularly true when my sons were still young enough to be in our home. The "want" factor creates a lot of spending at games, get the families in as attractively as possible and let them spend money while there. That'd get my vote.

Army has already accepted a bid to the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft Worth, NOT the Military Bowl in Maryland. The CUSA commitment it to Ft. Worth.
No way that Louisville ends in Charlotte. The Louisville/Kentucky basketball game is that same day. The ticket sales would be horrendous from Louisville.

Dallas is not a CUSA bowl this year. It was traded to Big 10 for Ft. Worth.

Army is in the Armed Forces Bowl, played at TCU's stadium in Fort Worth. The bowl in Annapolis is the Military Bowl, which is THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! vs. ACC now.

As to all the ticket price discussion, it really is not that is should "bother" you or me or whoever. It is can we charge $5/per or $10/per and still cover the costs. The answer to that is clearly no. The unanswered question is where are these great masses of would be attendees held back by the costs? Turn on your TV and watch any MACtion game or the lower half of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! and understand that anyone can attend these games for what you might as well call FREE, and yet no one does. I think I know people of all ages and levels of financial success and I have never met anybody who has a burning desire to watch a Herd game, but cannot afford it.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
One thing is for sure: the days of possibly facing Big Ten #8 or SEC #9 are over. (Not that we wouldn't opt to play MAC #3 anyway.)

Reactions: HerdnBucks
Army is in the Armed Forces Bowl, played at TCU's stadium in Fort Worth. The bowl in Annapolis is the Military Bowl, which is THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! vs. ACC now.

As to all the ticket price discussion, it really is not that is should "bother" you or me or whoever. It is can we charge $5/per or $10/per and still cover the costs. The answer to that is clearly no. The unanswered question is where are these great masses of would be attendees held back by the costs? Turn on your TV and watch any MACtion game or the lower half of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! and understand that anyone can attend these games for what you might as well call FREE, and yet no one does. I think I know people of all ages and levels of financial success and I have never met anybody who has a burning desire to watch a Herd game, but cannot afford it.

I'd love to know the cost of an empty seat. But I doubt MU has delved into it that deep.

I might be over simplifying it, but one of the things that I feel is hurting attendance is points on the score board. People like to see points scored, especially In this era of 5 second sound bites, and if it can be done creatively all the better. Everyone in our conference was all abuzz after the FAU - North Texas game few weeks ago, and it was probably the first time that many of us actually watched an FAU game this season. I know Bill Legg is as easy target, but I really wonder how much anatomy he has when it comes to keep your foot on the gas creative play calling?

As far as money goes, I can do any trip other than the Bahamas and I agree with most of the original assessment... Playing a MAC team doesn't excite me at all regardless of location so I would probably skip that matchup. I honestly find Sun Belt opponents more interesting than the MAC.

I will say that if our administration decided to get the Bahamas trip out of the way this year, I wouldn't be mad at that decision. Everyone has to go eventually and this year might be an opportunity to cross it off the list.

Not sure why the disappointment over playing a school from the MAC, AAC, or Sun Belt would be. You do realize we're at best, just like them, right? Hell, teams from those conferences probably share your same disappointment, over possibly having to play a team from the touted C-USofA.

if you don't understand why temple, appy or MAC teams would not get a fan pumped to go watch, I can't help you here.

lastly, there are many AAC teams I would be happy to go see us play.

Army has already accepted a bid to the Armed Forces Bowl in Ft Worth, NOT the Military Bowl in Maryland. The CUSA commitment it to Ft. Worth.
No way that Louisville ends in Charlotte. The Louisville/Kentucky basketball game is that same day. The ticket sales would be horrendous from Louisville.

Dallas is not a CUSA bowl this year. It was traded to Big 10 for Ft. Worth.

Meister...and no way in Hell would Marshall receive a bowl bid in Charlotte. Bank of America Stadium seats about 75,500. There is no way that our 1000-2000 traveling fans would be attractive to the decision makers in the Queen City of the South. They would invite Appy State [some local appeal and 1.5 hours away] before they would The HERD.

HerdZilla22

if you don't understand why temple, appy or MAC teams would not get a fan pumped to go watch, I can't help you here.

lastly, there are many AAC teams I would be happy to go see us play.
I'm sure they wouldn't get a fan pumped up, but the Herd football program is now relegated to this. Those AAC teams you would want to play would definitely be disappointed in playing a C-USA team, as I assume you're talking about UCF, Memphis, Houston, Navy, South Florida. They're in the American, aka the 6th P. They want to play with who they view as their equals - Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc.

Meister...and no way in Hell would Marshall receive a bowl bid in Charlotte. Bank of America Stadium seats about 75,500. There is no way that our 1000-2000 traveling fans would be attractive to the decision makers in the Queen City of the South. They would invite Appy State [some local appeal and 1.5 hours away] before they would The HERD.

HerdZilla22

I guess you forgot the fact that thousands of WVians and MU alumni live in NC.

Marshall would draw well there.

I agree about people simply attending. Many MAC and (as Sam would say) 'THE AMERICAN!!!!!' conferences have enormous student bodies. Even half of that at a game would give you about 12,000 people...
Some of those games look like there less than that actually there...and thats not even including the locals and the cities they are in.
I also agree that I have never heard anyone actually say they can't get to an MU game because of prices.
Its actually because of literally anything else except prices.

I agree about people simply attending. Many MAC and (as Sam would say) 'THE AMERICAN!!!!!' conferences have enormous student bodies. Even half of that at a game would give you about 12,000 people...
Some of those games look like there less than that actually there...and thats not even including the locals and the cities they are in.
I also agree that I have never heard anyone actually say they can't get to an MU game because of prices.
Its actually because of literally anything else except prices.
I can give you a nice example of how this works. I live in an area with over 525,000 residents. That's Kalamazoo, Portage, and Battle Creek, Michigan. Those residents are located within 30 minutes of a rather large university by the name of Western Michigan. When they have a team that's competing for a MAC title, or an undefeated season (see last year), they may get 30,000 to a game against a big conference rival with everything on the line. Sellouts are limited to one every 10-12 years, with a home game against Michigan State being their last one. So, they have close to 25,000 students, with maybe 10% of them willing to go to a game. Why? Because those 25,000 students are there because it's a cheaper alternative to Notre Dame, Michigan State, or the University of Michigan....or they're not smart enough to get into those three schools. 90% of the student body, or probably more like 100% of the student body is a fan of one of the three programs fore-mentioned. As Sam said, this is what you have when you're a fan of a G5 school. You can either embrace it, and realize it's always going to be like that, or you can start a weekly Saturday night/Sunday morning post and bitch about it. However, it's not going to change......ever.

HerdZilla22
Stfu old man there are plenty of Marshall alumni within Charlotte metro that they would appeal to the bowl committee. They don't sell out the bell bowl when unc or state are there so size of stadium doesn't matter.
I can name a dozen people that would drive up from Greenville sc in a heartbeat and a dozen more from Greensboro and Atlanta. Don't act like Marshall wouldn't be well represented in Charlotte.
Stick to crap you know like assistant coaching freshamn baseball

"Who" would drive not "that" would drive. When referring to a person, people, or group of people use "who" not "that". When referring to an inanimate object use "that" not "who". Thank you for using better grammar.

I'm sure they wouldn't get a fan pumped up, but the Herd football program is now relegated to this. Those AAC teams you would want to play would definitely be disappointed in playing a C-USA team, as I assume you're talking about UCF, Memphis, Houston, Navy, South Florida. They're in the American, aka the 6th P. They want to play with who they view as their equals - Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc.

Your last sentence just indicates that the AAC consists of schools who are the most delusional in the entire universe of FBS!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Your last sentence just indicates that the AAC consists of schools who are the most delusional in the entire universe of FBS!

Repeating the spew that comes from the AAC requires one to be dishonest. Actually believing it requires one to be delusional beyond all measure.

HerdZilla22
Where did I say they would? I simply said that Louisville wouldn't be there. I never made the bowl projection at all.

Reactions: 19MU88

We draw a whopping 19k for a home game against our most hated rival. Even if we take all 19k to Charlotte, that would NOT be an impressive showing in a stadium that large.

our most hated rival.

Marshall fans are far too quick to anoint teams are our "rivals". I don't think we have any. When you change conferences every decade, that is what happens.

Miami? You have to be pretty old to remember why exactly people hate Miami (66-6) but it is enough to hate people who went to a state U and think they went to Yale. But really? We went years without playing them and only play them now and then. In their delusion Miami fans think Cincinnati is their rival and could care less about us.

Ohio? It is close by and a fine school. That is about all you can say about it. I never met anybody with a relationship to Ohio who was not a nice enough person. Hard to hate. And again we don't play them regularly. The Ohio students not from Appalachian Ohio in their delusion think Ohio State is their rival, the ones from around here are just like us. Hard to hate.

WVU? Blunt fact is they will not play us in any sport that a large number of people follow. They don't play anybody regularly in any sport that matters on this side of the Mississippi. It is mostly their non-alumni fanbase, in their delusion and insularity, that hate us in their total petty jealous fixation, and most of us respond to that, but that is all. You cannot be rivals with someone you don't play. Their students and alumni, who are not from here, have mostly never been south of Fairmont in their pathetic New Jersites lives and mostly hate the state schools in their own states that would not admit them, often Pitt and Penn State, who, of course, are each other's rivals and could care less about that, equally rival-less, school.

Some team from a by-gone era? If the SoCon or the MAC was so full of rivals, then why did we move up and out? UTC or Toledo or whatever are not our rivals. As to the previous CUSA teams, the only one we had a deal with, really, is ECU, and again, a nice bunch and hard to hate. I really feel bad for them, having fallen so hard due to the huge mistake they made. And, again, we don't play them regularly.

Morehead? Laugh.

Which brings us to WKU. We have played WKU exactly how many times every? Is it 10? Their traditional rivals were EKU, until they separated levels. Now it is probably MTSU, although some WKUers have case of little brother with UK.

The rivals play next week. Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, USC-Clemson, Big Blue-little red, Ohio State-Michigan. We are playing whoever CUSA tells us to, this year, Southern Miss.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Marshall fans are far too quick to anoint teams are our "rivals". I don't think we have any. When you change conferences every decade, that is what happens.

Miami? You have to be pretty old to remember why exactly people hate Miami (66-6) but it is enough to hate people who went to a state U and think they went to Yale. But really? We went years without playing them and only play them now and then. In their delusion Miami fans think Cincinnati is their rival and could care less about us.

Ohio? It is close by and a fine school. That is about all you can say about it. I never met anybody with a relationship to Ohio who was not a nice enough person. Hard to hate. And again we don't play them regularly. The Ohio students not from Appalachian Ohio in their delusion think Ohio State is their rival, the ones from around here are just like us. Hard to hate.

WVU? Blunt fact is they will not play us in any sport that a large number of people follow. They don't play anybody regularly in any sport that matters on this side of the Mississippi. It is mostly their non-alumni fanbase, in their delusion and insularity, that hate us in their total petty jealous fixation, and most of us respond to that, but that is all. You cannot be rivals with someone you don't play. Their students and alumni, who are not from here, have mostly never been south of Fairmont in their pathetic New Jersites lives and mostly hate the state schools in their own states that would not admit them, often Pitt and Penn State, who, of course, are each other's rivals and could care less about that, equally rival-less, school.

Some team from a by-gone era? If the SoCon or the MAC was so full of rivals, then why did we move up and out? UTC or Toledo or whatever are not our rivals. As to the previous CUSA teams, the only one we had a deal with, really, is ECU, and again, a nice bunch and hard to hate. I really feel bad for them, having fallen so hard due to the huge mistake they made. And, again, we don't play them regularly.

Morehead? Laugh.

Which brings us to WKU. We have played WKU exactly how many times every? Is it 10? Their traditional rivals were EKU, until they separated levels. Now it is probably MTSU, although some WKUers have case of little brother with UK.

The rivals play next week. Alabama-Auburn, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, USC-Clemson, Big Blue-little red, Ohio State-Michigan. We are playing whoever CUSA tells us to, this year, Southern Miss.
A another post that is lies, bullshit and half truths at best. You are with out question the king of obsessions all things non Marshall.

Reactions: WV_Celt
WVU?.......Their students and alumni, who are not from here, have mostly never been south of Fairmont in their pathetic New Jersites lives .............

The fact is that 14,500 of WVU's students are state residents and all 55 counties are represented in that number, not just the counties north of Fairmont as you claim. More WV residents than the total enrollment at Marshall. Students from 107 nations and all 50 states make up the other 49%, not just New Jersey as you claim.

Your posts may have more credibility if you'd do a little fact checking before you go on a rant.

Last edited:
The fact is that 14,500 of WVU's students are state residents and all 55 counties are represented in that number, not just the counties north of Fairmont as you claim. More WV residents than the total enrollment at Marshall.

Your posts may have more credibility if you'd do a little fact checking before you go on a rant.

Then he would be just another boring poster........like you.

Keep it coming Sam, I never miss a Sam post even though I disagree most of the time.

Morehead? Laugh.

Sam well written! I've felt this way for a while, and came to the realization that maybe not every school can have a media infused Alabama - Auburn, South Carolina - Clemson, Duke - Carolina, or Ohio State - Michigan type rival, but a good rivalry is still a lot of fun.. All mentioned above have at least 2 of these 3 boxes checked. #1) Proximity, close enough for fans to comfortably drive to the games, and a good chance that your neighbors, friends, or co-workers went to the other school. #2) They have been in the same conference for years (and are on the same division or are at least a permanent crossover game like (Auburn - Georgia). #3) Even thought a single sport might define that rivalry on a national stage (Duke - UNC Baskeball) they still play each other in all major sports each year. I used to get really excited about some of the SoCon games, especially App State in football, as the outcome usually had huge conference standing, national ranking and playoff seeding implications on the line. But was it really a rivalry? Maybe for a snap shot in time it was, but if it was a real honest to god rivalry, we would still be playing on an annual bases. Which leads me to, and I still don't understand the short shortsightedness, shallow egos, pretentiousness, (whatever the reason) that WVU and Marshall don't play each other in every sport, every year. I have yet to see a game between the two that did not generate excitement and some great smack the week leading up to playing. It certainly gave the citizens of WV something to talk about other then economic hard times and political ineffectiveness. And you don't send ECU or Akron home with a check for that weekend, all of the money stays in state.

True for the most part, except UCLA and USC are playing tonight and Army/Navy play in 3 weeks. In addition, UCF/USF may be one of only two of all these games mentioned where both teams could be ranked, with a combined record of 20-1.

Stfu old man there are plenty of Marshall alumni within Charlotte metro that they would appeal to the bowl committee. They don't sell out the bell bowl when unc or state are there so size of stadium doesn't matter.
I can name a dozen people that would drive up from Greenville sc in a heartbeat and a dozen more from Greensboro and Atlanta. Don't act like Marshall wouldn't be well represented in Charlotte.
Stick to crap you know like assistant coaching freshamn baseball
bashing older fans is worthy of an ass whippin herd 429 you dick.

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

What you really say is "make the mean mean man stop saying true things I wish were not." How sad. On one hand so totally fixated upon us that you have to troll a "non-rival's" board. On the other had so delusional that you cannot abide factual information about your school (same words as on you driver's license, no actual relationship), be its zero.zero sports programs, or its taxwaste college.

Congratulations, you can cut and paste from racist Gee's PR pages. Good for you.

The way in which "your" (same words as on you parole certificate, no actual relationship) racist president fudges USPAM's enrollment figures and the %age of state residents has been outlined here and in major newspapers, state reports, and elsewhere for a long time. Nothing I or anyone else can say will keep you from posting "is not either" which is what a comeback is in your limited world.

WVU is an irrelevancy outside its small area, except as a taxwaste. I don't live there so it does not affect me, except to do what it has done to the vast majority of WVians, for generations. Waste our money.

Fore the Love of John Marshall.
...Marshall can not attract more than about 20,000 in Huntington...what makes you think MU Alumni & West Virginians [in the Charlotte area] are going to fork out about $60--$75/ticket for a December Bowl game in the Queen City. At best, we had about 600 when The Herd played the Charlotte 49ers this season.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

What you really say is "make the mean mean man stop saying true things I wish were not." How sad. On one hand so totally fixated upon us that you have to troll a "non-rival's" board. On the other had so delusional that you cannot abide factual information about your school (same words as on you driver's license, no actual relationship), be its zero.zero sports programs, or its taxwaste college.

Congratulations, you can cut and paste from racist Gee's PR pages. Good for you.

The way in which "your" (same words as on you parole certificate, no actual relationship) racist president fudges USPAM's enrollment figures and the %age of state residents has been outlined here and in major newspapers, state reports, and elsewhere for a long time. Nothing I or anyone else can say will keep you from posting "is not either" which is what a comeback is in your limited world.

WVU is an irrelevancy outside its small area, except as a taxwaste. I don't live there so it does not affect me, except to do what it has done to the vast majority of WVians, for generations. Waste our money.
Now Samantha don't get your panties in wad because you got called out. You'll still get your checks.

Morehead? Laugh.

Sam remember about 3 or 4 years ago southern miss had beat the herd but its how they did it. After the game our players said they keep getting punched when in a pile. Crackback blocks were happening over and over. The next year it felt like a rivalry. We had some whipass in our water bottles and we physically beat them.

Sam remember about 3 or 4 years ago southern miss had beat the herd but its how they did it. After the game our players said they keep getting punched when in a pile. Crackback blocks were happening over and over. The next year it felt like a rivalry. We had some whipass in our water bottles and we physically beat them.

That sounds like when the Hat was down there before he took his cheating rear end to unc-OJ.

Reactions: sistersville
Fore the Love of John Marshall....Marshall can not attract more than about 20,000 in Huntington...what makes you think MU Alumni & West Virginians [in the Charlotte area] are going to fork out about $60--$75/ticket for a December Bowl game in the Queen City. At best, we had about 600 when The Herd played the Charlotte 49ers this season.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Because many on here say they would go and could bring multiple others as well.

ADVERTISEMENT