ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Mantra

goherd44

"He Hate Me"
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2008
So this mantra has been passed around on here for the past few years that we are in so much of a better place now than when Doc took over as head football coach. At this point I couldn't care less either way about Snyder or Doc. I was one of the strongest voices at the time saying that Snyder needed to go. I will admit that regardless of my displeasure with Snyder and his coaching methods he did have us trending in the right direction going to a bowl and winning it. That does seem to be how we judge success these days. So if that is what we consider a successful season then Snyder's last season has to be considered a success and a big step in the right direction.
Like I said I really don't care either way, but I am curious about everyone's opinion on the matter. Below I have posted some statistical comparisons of Snyder's last season minus the bowl game and the regular season that Doc just finished.

2009 Overall record 6 - 6 CUSA record 4 - 4 Offense ppg 21.8 Defense ppg 25.9
2019 Overall record 8 - 4 CUSA record 6 - 2 Offense ppg 24.9 Defense ppg 23.1

2009 Avg Attendance 22,235
2019 Avg Attendance 23,190

2009 Losses
# 14 Virginia Tech, ECU, WVU, UCF, S. Miss and UTEP

2019 Losses
#24 Boise State, Cincinnati, MTSU, and Charlotte

2009 Key Players
Vinny Curry, Lee Smith, Albert McClellan, Mario Harvey, Cody Slate, Omar Brown. I admit I might have left off a couple as well.

2019 Key Players
We all know who were our key players this season so not gonna list them.

Obviously based on the statistics alone this season was a little better, but the question is based on that continued mantra.... Are we actually in a way better place right now compared to 2009? Again I am just putting this out there to see what everybody thinks either way. Also if you feel strongly either way explain. We all agree Snyder wasn't a great coach and his time was up regardless of making a bowl and winning. So try and base your responses around the two seasons regardless of who the two coaches were at the time.

couple of things. Doc coached here in 2010 not 2009. Also Boise is ranked #19 and UC is ranked #21 in today's poll. I don't care about any preseason polls. Doc faced # 6 Ohio State and #23 WVU- OOC in his first season. To the question, I guess we are better off even if we attribute it to a weaker schedule.

couple of things. Doc coached here in 2010 not 2009. Also Boise is ranked #19 and UC is ranked #21 in today's poll. I don't care about any preseason polls. Doc faced # 6 Ohio State and #23 WVU- OOC in his first season. To the question, I guess we are better off even if we attribute it to a weaker schedule.
Sorry Ohio I should have clarified. We are comparing this last season to Snyder's last season since that would be when Doc took over the program. Not trying to compare Doc's first and last season. My bad. I do appreciate your take though!

Reactions: ohio herd
The thing that is so frustrating for me, is we always seem to come up just short in conference play, year after year, by losing to teams we should not lose to. In an ideal world the OOC schedule should be a nice mix of very winnable games and challenging (yet winnable games, not body bag games) that measure where we are as a program for that season and nationally. I thought this seasons OOC had that mix. But losing to MTSU and Charlotte, two teams we had no business losing to, and by ironically the same score 13-24, is what I believe has Herd fans thinking we have gone as far was we can go with the current regime in place. Has Doc been good for the program? In terms of stability, and doing things the right way, I say yes, but we have flat-lined. So the question is, much like it was when Jeff Bower was forced out as the coach at So Miss. Do you get rid of a guy who more than likely is going to produce a winning season and a bowl bid each year, or do you swing for the fences and hopefully land a program changer, who if he does, is probably here for only a few years?

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
Doc served a specific purpose, and that was to get us back to bowl games regularly. He did that, and In a way we are better off than when Snyder was here.
His record against .500+ teams is something else that needs looked at.

That said, if the program wants to keep moving forward (like every other school), then we have to accept Doc isn't the guy to take us to the next step, and that's consistently being in the Confrence Championship.

Chris Petersen taking time off at Washington., considering Boise patterned their program when moving from 1-AA after the success we had when moving up , he would know how to instill some fire into the Marshall program. Maybe he could come in and consult for a while during the off season. Explain to Holliday what you need to do to regain your status as a viable program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT