ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Scott Vinyl Aficionado

SamSwimmer

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 16, 2015
If Tim Scott, on a totally not staged for cameras event, walked out of a record store buying only records by black artists, how do you think the media would respond?
This is a serious question

How many records? Did he point out they were all by black artists? How did anyone even find out what records he bought?

What kind of black artists?

Group A: Darius Rucker, Living Colour, Otis Blackwell, Kane Brown
Group B: Anita Baker, Nas, Curtis Mayfield, Chaka Khan

How many records? Did he point out they were all by black artists? How did anyone even find out what records he bought?
I mean, when someone walks out directly to cameras & does a show & tell, it’s not hard to figure out.

The black artists were from a range of musical tastes.

The generation after me likes vinyl for some reason.
I hadn’t bought a music CD for ages, but recently heard a song on the radio that interested me. I was in Walmart soon after that and asked a clerk where the music CD section was located. He directed to me to a small area at the back of the store. Not much choice at all, but right next to the CDs there was a section five times as large of vinyl records.

Does Thin Lizzy count as a black artist? I like some of their stuff.

They’ve made a bit of a comeback. The generation after me likes vinyl for some reason.

I have a decent vinyl set up and have had turn tables since college. I always liked album art and something nostalgic about it. I have a U-turn Orbit turn table and a decent set of speakers. On the rare occasion I have time I will put on an album and read and have a drink. Or maybe early in the morning have coffee. Maybe once a quarter.

My kids like it at times (mostly the girls playing taylor swift albums), though they've already destroyed one needle.

I own a couple autographed vinyls but don’t actually have anything to play them on, not that I probably would anyway.

a decent set of speakers.
Not sure if I have told this story. Years ago, when home theater was just starting to become a fad, I spent many of my weekends driving to audio stores and listening to speakers. I finally decided on a brand called M&K. The sound was perfect for me and the price was within my budget: about $500 a speaker (5 total) , and around $1000 for the base.

I really enjoy the sound and some years later decided to add a third rear speaker to my system. I was dismayed to find that M&K had gone out of business. Didn’t think much about speakers until a few years later I read in an audio magazine that a new company had bought up all of M&K’s patents and was again producing their speakers.

I got in touch with the new company in hopes of buying that third rear speaker. They told me they did have the speaker in stock, but the demand and price had increased greatly. The one speaker was now $11,000. I’ll miss not completing the set.

I think the media would do nothing because that’s very boring.
That’s on me - I lump news in with social media because I see little difference.
Tim just got married to a white woman & media has been fairly brutal. Given the amount of people that have questioned his blackness, would him holding up albums from black artists give him cred?

That’s on me - I lump news in with social media because I see little difference.
Tim just got married to a white woman & media has been fairly brutal. Given the amount of people that have questioned his blackness, would him holding up albums from black artists give him cred?
I think only the most terminally online would ever know, and only the worst among the worst care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT