ADVERTISEMENT

Time for G5 schools to band together

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Not sure if this is a popular view but here is my take on the current fiasco of conference realignment. These greedy ego maniacs that are running these P4(5) schools are out of control. The NCAA is a joke and exercise no control over them any longer. The (NCAA) might as well fold up their tent and go home. It appears we are headed for 3-4 super conferences that will comprise about 65-70 schools. For the rest of us , the other D-1 football playing schools, that will be about 50 -55 schools once the dust settles. We need to form a working group much like a union to have bargaining power with these folks. If they try to break off and form a new division we will be forced back to the equivalent of fcs again. I for one do not want that. As unfair as the current structure is at least we can be a part of the big boy division and get ranked and play games on tv from time to time like the Notre Dame game on NBC or the espn games. Here is a possible bargaining chip. We tell them that none of us will play them OOC if they do this. This only works if they stick together. Can you imagine how miserable many of the fans at schools in these conferences will be when the bottom dwellers have to play a brutal conference schedule and then repeat the process OOC? Let them wallow in 2-10 seasons. Even some of the upper schools will be challenged as this supergroup evolves into a NFL like corporation where a 7-5 or 6-6 season is considered good. Another thought is we negotiate with them for tv and other financial incentives as a group for allowing them to play our teams. Anyone else have any thoughts on how to stay on board this runaway train?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Blunt fact is ESPN is the focus of evil in the sports world. Among its many faults has been its failure to understand college football and what makes it special to those who follow it. A quick look at a map tells you why. They have contempt for us, as always.

The idiotic playoffs and these crazy "conferences" (really media rights packages of schools with nothing in common) are ESPN trying to make college football into minor league football. A crushing tournament with one winner and everybody else is a POS. It used to be that who won between Indiana and Purdue mattered to some people. It used to be that winning the Gator Bowl mattered to that fan base. It used to be that winning the conference mattered. Thirty or forty teams could walk off as "champions" of some sort or another. Nope. One crushing tournament, one winner, everyone else is a POS.

Problem is the way college football was, is why it was special.

Leaving out G5 issues, I can write down 20 programs. No body else is EVER going to win the tournament. Never, ever, never. So what does a fan of these schools have in this. Watching your team get pounded is not fun. And, eventually, since all of this is greed driven, what ESPN really wants is not 3 or 4 super conferences, but one. It really doesn't need the rest. It would much rather show Alabama @ Ohio State on a random October Saturday, than Alabama @ Arkansas or Purdue @ Ohio State. Eventually the greed will push a whole lot of P5 schools to the G5.

Leaving out G5 issues, I can write down 20 programs. No body else is EVER going to win the tournament. Never, ever, never. So what does a fan of these schools have in this. Watching your team get pounded is not fun. And, eventually, since all of this is greed driven, what ESPN really wants is not 3 or 4 super conferences, but one. It really doesn't need the rest. It would much rather show Alabama @ Ohio State on a random October Saturday, than Alabama @ Arkansas or Purdue @ Ohio State. Eventually the greed will push a whole lot of P5 schools to the G5.
Bingo... We have a winner.

The reason ESPN and Fox are cool with how this is all shaking down is because they are getting exactly what they want -- 2 conferences that will be minor league NFL and draw big TV numbers. That is also why this expansion crap isn't over. The BIG10 is going to end up with 24 teams eventually, and as soon as they do the SEC will follow suit and poach the six schools from the ACC that bring anything to the table as far as football, probably when the ACC grant-of-rights tv deal expires (unless they can find a way out before).

There will be 48 teams in the two "premiere" leagues that have a legit chance to win a national title (actually there will be about 20-25 as Sam points out).

Everyone else will be battling to have their conference champ fill a playoff spot so they can be a cute underdog story for a week before Georgia/Ohio State/Michigan/Bama kick their teeth in.

As for the G5, this changing landscape doesn't really effect us at all under the current playoff format. What will screw the G5 and those P5 leftovers who don't make the top 48 (looking at you WVU, Oregon State, Iowa State, etc) is when the Big48 decide they want to have their own playoffs and break away all together.

That is one of the problems with college sports. Every team thinks they are bigger than they are. Except the teams in the MAC. They pretty much accept they are crap and live with it.

Bingo... We have a winner.

The reason ESPN and Fox are cool with how this is all shaking down is because they are getting exactly what they want -- 2 conferences that will be minor league NFL and draw big TV numbers. That is also why this expansion crap isn't over. The BIG10 is going to end up with 24 teams eventually, and as soon as they do the SEC will follow suit and poach the six schools from the ACC that bring anything to the table as far as football, probably when the ACC grant-of-rights tv deal expires (unless they can find a way out before).

There will be 48 teams in the two "premiere" leagues that have a legit chance to win a national title (actually there will be about 20-25 as Sam points out).

Everyone else will be battling to have their conference champ fill a playoff spot so they can be a cute underdog story for a week before Georgia/Ohio State/Michigan/Bama kick their teeth in.

As for the G5, this changing landscape doesn't really effect us at all under the current playoff format. What will screw the G5 and those P5 leftovers who don't make the top 48 (looking at you WVU, Oregon State, Iowa State, etc) is when the Big48 decide they want to have their own playoffs and break away all together.
Then Congress steps in and some schools file an anti-trust suit and it gets even more convoluted.

I know there are those that will stone me....let's face it Marshall WILL NEVER win another National Championship in FOOTBALL!!!!

Fast forward.....let G5 schools like the Sun Belt, MAC, American Athletic, Mountain West, & CUSA, form their own playoff system and have a 16-team tournament (akin to the old 1-AA)----RANK them 1-16 and crown a Champion in December. **If you are 1 of the 16.....do not accept a Bowl invitation....****cross your fingers & pray The HERD is 1 of the top 16!

Schedule first & second round games at the higher ranked team's stadiums---and advance the four survivors to a Semi-final & National Champion Game in Orlando or Jacksonville.

Should MU not make the field of 16---get Bowl eligible and reward the team & fans with a minor-Bowl---like we always attract now!!!

You HERD it here....

Last edited:
I know there are those that will stone me....let's face it Marshall WILL NEVER win another National Championship in FOOTBALL!!!!

Fast forward.....let G5 schools like the Sun Belt, MAC, American Athletic, Mountain West, & CUSA, form their own playoff system and have a 16-team tournament (akin to the old 1-AA)----RANK them 1-16 and crown a Champion in December. **If you are 1 of the 16.....do not accept a Bowl invitation....****cross your fingers & pray The HERD is 1 of the top 16!

Schedule first & second round games at the higher ranked team's stadiums---and advance the four survivors to a Semi-final & National Champion Game in Orlando or Jacksonville.

Should MU not make the field of 16---get Bowl eligible and reward the team & fans with a minor-Bowl---like we always attract now!!!

You HERD it here....
I’ll throw the first rock:
Aren’t the conferences locked into financial arrangements with various bowls and obligated to provide participants to same?

Seriously I really do not want to go back to the equivalent of fcs. Very few people care about the fcs so that is one reason we moved up. Otherwise we could have stayed there and been winning titles left and right. The current system may not be fair in many ways but at least we get to occasionally play the big boys ( Notre Dame, Ohio State, Clemson ) and beat them from time to time.

Let’s be honest, only 20-25 teams have had a legit shot at a national championship for the last 50 years. BYU was gifted a split crown in the 80s, but didn’t deserve it.

It’s not some conspiracy. Those teams have more resources, better facilities, better coaches and better players than the other 100 teams. Of those 20-25 only 10-12 have all the ingredients to consistently be in the title hunt.

Marshall, or any G5, could play Alabama’s schedule for 100 years and never win 8 games if our resources stayed where they are. It just is what it is.

Even if we made the 12 team playoff (if they stick with that plan) our dream would be to win one game. We aren’t beating Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama on consecutive Saturdays.

As to the OP, I’ve always believed the G5 should create scarcity through scheduling agreements. Every P5 wants at least 2 G5 games, which means they need 128 slots filled, at least. There are now 66 G5 teams. If we limited it to one game against P5 we could better dictate price or return games. Poor schools wouldn’t have to play 3 games if they could demand $2.5 million, or more, for a one and done.

A Sunbelt home and home alliance with the MAC and AAC or MWC, a FCS and one P5 would be a good schedule. In years where you get a home P5 then you could schedule a road P5 and not play a FCS. This would incentivize P5 to play road games to increase inventory.

We, and ESPN, will learn the dirty little secret of playoffs. There is only so much demand for college football.

Think about it. The pageantry and exceptionalism of college football (and basketball to a degree) have made a lower level of the sport very popular. ESPN, which is to say Disney, which is to say people from the northeast, do not understand this. They are going to create a minor league NFL.

How many people want to watch minor league MLB or minor league NHL, which already exist? Almost no one.

As to this idea of a I-A and a half division, no one would care about it. If you want a second division championship, go I-AA. 60 teams is not enough to make a legitimate champion. And no one would watch it.

Heard a commentary just this past Monday that basically said it was time for NCAA football to abandon "levels" and just play each other. There comment was about talent levels now moving around due to NIL at the D1 level; kind of alluded to even what is now known as FCS. Point made was that if you're going to declare yourself a D1 team, go for it; the regional games come from out of conference, regardless of who or what the level is. I'd like that. But of course it will never happen; makes too much sense.

The American conference won't band with other G5 conferences. They consider themselves worthy of P5 status, and are trying like hell to bring in the PAC leftovers to secure that status. They won't be successful, but they're trying.
Yeah thats not happening. And even if they did, whatever playoff system of the future won't recognize that conference as some form of AQ, if there is such a thing in said playoff.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

You HERD it here....

The only way I would support a G5 playoff would be if the champion got an auto bid to the CFP. Right now we get one guaranteed slot and it is a tough ticket to grab.

I think a 4 team G5 playoff would drive more interest from the causal fans that time of year. It could be another banner to chase while not abandoning a shot at the true national title.

Reactions: marshallsig
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT