ADVERTISEMENT

To all of those who questioned Huff's credentials....

Catfanatic1979v1

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
I remember on here and at work some people would make the comment "How hard is it to recruit at Alabama?" and question Huff's ability to upgrade the talent level at Marshall. They would pretend people who were excited about Huff's recruiting ability were nuts who thought we could pull in talent that Bama and the big guys were chasing when nobody was truly saying that. Maybe some thought we could snag a big school earmarked recruit who didn't quite have the grades but that is it.

That argument only really works if Huff started at Alabama. The fact is that he worked his way up from the bottom and proved himself at every level. He found quality talent for both small and large schools. Some people chase stars and bring in useless classes that make headlines - see Texas A&M and Notre Dame. Some people just know who can be developed and play - see Huff.

Huff grabbed guys from all levels - big school kids, FCS guys, high school - whatever. He is a world class elite evaluation machine. He isn't a mouth who sweet talks kids earning a reputation of being a great recruiter just because he snags kids everyone wants regardless of how they actually turn out. He is the guy who finds a two star talent like Saquon Barkley and puts him in the weight room, adds weight/strength and then coaches him into a dominant talent. He elevates guys.

Lots of schools pull in big name recruiting classes but we all know stars do not mean anything once you leave high school. They either can't develop the kids any further or snagged kids who were overhyped proving they can't evaluate.

Huff has the ability to know which kids are the real deal and which are the products of hype. We better find the cash to hang on to this guy for another year or two because I doubt we ever find someone close to being this special ever again. He is eventually going to a big school and will create a monster program there.

Last edited:
We better find the cash to hang on to this guy for another year or two because I doubt we ever find someone close to being this special ever again.
Same thing was said after Parrish, after Chaump, after Donnan, after Pruett.

As long as you have the right leadership in place at the University, on the BOG, with the correct mindset, high expectations, and able to execute on a vision...the coach will work out. The minute these leaders become complacent, and settle on mediocrity, the program becomes irrelevant.

I remember on here and at work some people would make the comment "How hard is it to recruit at Alabama?" and question Huff's ability to upgrade the talent level at Marshall. They would pretend people who were excited about Huff's recruiting ability were nuts who thought we could pull in talent that Bama and the big guys were chasing when nobody was truly saying that. Maybe some thought we could snag a big school earmarked recruit who didn't quite have the grades but that is it.

That argument only really works if Huff started at Alabama. The fact is that he worked his way up from the bottom and proved himself at every level. He found quality talent for both small and large schools. Some people chase stars and bring in useless classes that make headlines - see Texas A&M and Notre Dame. Some people just know who can be developed and play - see Huff.

Huff grabbed guys from all levels - big school kids, FCS guys, high school - whatever. He is a world class elite evaluation machine. He isn't a mouth who sweet talks kids earning a reputation of being a great recruiter just because he snags kids everyone wants regardless of how they actually turn out. He is the guy who finds a two star talent like Saquon Barkley and puts him in the weight room, adds weight/strength and then coaches him into a dominant talent. He elevates guys.

Lots of schools pull in big name recruiting classes but we all know stars do not mean anything once you leave high school. They either can't develop the kids any further or snagged kids who were overhyped proving they can't evaluate.

Huff has the ability to know which kids are the real deal and which are the products of hype. We better find the cash to hang on to this guy for another year or two because I doubt we ever find someone close to being this special ever again. He is eventually going to a big school and will create a monster program there.

Recruiting is one thing.

Being able to make all of that work to win, is entirely another.

It IS easier, well was, to recruit at Alabama for a variety of reasons. NIL didn't exist and Bama being who they are, got away with plenty.

People DID have a reason to question the credentials of Huff at first. He has been at the premiere programs of college football and wasn't exactly left with a bare bones roster. He had a legitimate top 25 team and managed to lose games many on here were baffled over.

His credentials will really be seen at the end of THIS season. Marshall is now, more than ever, to be favored in just about every game they play.
If Huff has a letdown game somewhere down the line or MU really loses to someone they absolutely shouldn't, many on here will be critical of him.
Justified? Don't know.
But given what MU had done to that point, it would be understandable.

Let's put it this way...y'all would've looked at me, even worse than you do now, if before this season, I had said, "I bet by week three, CBS Sports predicts MU to play Southern-f'n-California in the Cotton Bowl."

Same thing was said after Parrish, after Chaump, after Donnan, after Pruett.

As long as you have the right leadership in place at the University, on the BOG, with the correct mindset, high expectations, and able to execute on a vision...the coach will work out. The minute these leaders become complacent, and settle on mediocrity, the program becomes irrelevant.
First time I saw this. You are 100% correct. Marshall should never have a coach longer than 4 years. After 4 years they should be moving up the ranks or be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT