ADVERTISEMENT

Toledo Basketball Rematch

Tim Hensley

Gold Buffalo
Feb 2, 2009
Wow! Do we ever owe the Rockets a good fvcking the next time they are down here... They shot 23 of 33 foul shots vs. 6 of 9 for us. Just about every loose ball was awarded to them, too!

Our kids shot a lot better and, other than the continuing turnovers, played much improved. I'd say once Andrew becomes eligible and gets a couple of games under his belt, our floor game will show some life.

We had some spectacular dunks. And our defense was tough.

Yes, we lost by about 10, but it was a great improvement over the first time. They won't have that big geek in the middle next year either. The tattoo artist that ate us up the first time was virtually ineffective.

Wow! Do we ever owe the Rockets a good fvcking the next time they are down here... They shot 23 of 33 foul shots vs. 6 of 9 for us. Just about every loose ball was awarded to them, too!

Our kids shot a lot better and, other than the continuing turnovers, played much improved. I'd say once Andrew becomes eligible and gets a couple of games under his belt, our floor game will show some life.

Yes, we lost by about 10, but it was a great improvement over the first time. They won't have that big geek in the middle next year either. The tattoo artist that ate us up the first time was virtually ineffective.

Tim you seem a little bitter tonight. :D

Didn’t see the game but sounds like they were the aggressor to the bucket and Marshall played their normal perimeter game. I’ve been to three games and the team isn’t very hard nosed. If you watched today let us know what you think made the free throw differential. MU over aggressive?, officials letting the teams play?, Toledo attacking the basket?

GreenDuke,I though a foul was called every time we even looked at them crosseyed. Statyistics don't lie!

Yes, we are 2-6, after playing perhaps the best pre-season schedule we've ever faced (just about everyone we've played was projected to be a division or conference champion) with three (and soon to be another) true freshmen, two redshirt freshmen, three sophomores, and two juniors.

Now Herd 66, let me ask you this: If you think Danny ought to be fired, would you like the honor of being the first to place a "For Sale" sign on his property? It's yours if you want it...

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
GreenDuke,I though a foul was called every time we even looked at them crosseyed. Statyistics don't lie!

Yes, we are 2-6, after playing perhaps the best pre-season schedule we've ever faced (just about everyone we've played was projected to be a division or conference champion) with three (and soon to be another) true freshmen, two redshirt freshmen, three sophomores, and two juniors.

Now Herd 66, let me ask you this: If you think Danny ought to be fired, would you like the honor of being the first to place a "For Sale" sign on his property? It's yours if you want it...

Fair enough.

Our record is 2-6.If anyone but DD was coach the people on this board would want him fired.

-Coach A: didn’t meet/exceed his teams expectations for the first time last year, but is extremely likable and has a personality
Vs
-Coach B: hasn’t met expectations in half a decade, and is also not particularly personable or like-able.

Can’t believe there’s two different prevailing attitude towards these guys....

Last edited:
Yes, we are. And with out a PG. That will change in 8 days. I would expect to see the offense in full stride by late January or early February

I agree. Too bad your opinions are only like that with b-ball now and not football.

Those types of things are “reasons”’for b-ball shortcomings but just “excuses” when it comes to football

I know I wear Kelly green glasses. I am consistent and not hypocritical...

Meister That Young man has not played in two years and has not played in his first college game. You are unfairly setting him up to people on here who will expect immediate scoring. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Meister That Young man has not played in two years and has not played in his first college game. You are unfairly setting him up to people on here who will expect immediate scoring. I hope you are right and I am wrong.
He is a true point guard. He will not be expected to be a great scorer but will be a much better facilitator and will make others better. One of the reasons that we are shooting so poorly is because we are taking bad shots. Taylor will get others much better looks at the basket and allow West and others to not force stupid shots like we have been doing. He is also a good scorer but u don't think we will rely on tgat

Reactions: horsrman
It's funny how there are different views on the performance of John and Dan when their track record is essentially identical. Dan got a generational player out of nowhere and a good sidekick and rode it to a good few years. John lucked out that Shuler convinced Cato to change his commitment from FIU.

Cato is the only thing standing between John and abject failure. Elmore is the only thing standing between Dan and abject failure. Yes, both players had some good complementary pieces, but you take those guys out and neither coach would have a great season under his belt.

It's funny how there are different views on the performance of John and Dan when their track record is essentially identical. Dan got a generational player out of nowhere and a good sidekick and rode it to a good few years. John lucked out that Shuler convinced Cato to change his commitment from FIU.

Cato is the only thing standing between John and abject failure. Elmore is the only thing standing between Dan and abject failure. Yes, both players had some good complementary pieces, but you take those guys out and neither coach would have a great season under his belt.

Just for arguments sake. I think Blake could have won for us too. Had we convinced Blake to stay we repeat in 2015 and I think the program stays humming. We don't need Birdsong and Litton gets a RS year. Doc still recruited Cato though. Call it lucking into he and Shuler all you want. It's disingenuous. Not sure why we can't give credit to Doc and that staff for recruiting and molding them. They've gotten lazy and I don't believe the staff's since 2014 carry Marshall in the same esteem and aren't going as hard for the bigger fish like Seider and Hartley did.

Now to Dan. Elmore fell in his lap. If not for his grandfather he stays at VMI. Dan didn't get him out of HS. Ryan Taylor and Loop were Herrion recruits. Burks if I am not mistaken was an NQ.

Just looking at Dan's freshman recruiting it has not been very good overall. Sure he's got some good players, but there have been several project players that never panned out.

Dan gets more compassion from fans because he's a Son if Marshall from the old days, he's a good guy, and the expectations for MBB is exponentially lower than football.

He is a true point guard. He will not be expected to be a great scorer but will be a much better facilitator and will make others better. One of the reasons that we are shooting so poorly is because we are taking bad shots. Taylor will get others much better looks at the basket and allow West and others to not force stupid shots like we have been doing. He is also a good scorer but u don't think we will rely on tgat
True. To answer another poster I in no way said he would turn us around overnight. Danny has a time table of mid February for him to get up to speed. That is plenty of time to be ready for Frisco.
Obviously had the NCAA ruled in his favor he would have been able to be top speed by the beginning of conference play in January

Our kids shot a lot better and, other than the continuing turnovers, played much improved.

Yes, we lost by about 10, but it was a great improvement over the first time.

Moral victory.

AKA, yet another loss.

I would expect to see the offense in full stride by late January or early February

Yes, losing is a great foundational plan for winning. Especially when you are in one of the bottom one-bid leagues, leaving out the bus-and-gym ones like we played in that CIT thing, meaning more than 4 or 5 losses, no matter when, mean a #15 seed and being Louisville’s plaything.

Winners win. Losers make excuses.

And, at the end of the day, AKA March, I doubt we see more than 2 of the teams that have easily manhandled this team in the real tournament. Florida has a shot, the SEC is a little down. CofC has a puncher’s chance in its one bid league.

Danny has a time table of mid February for him to get up to speed. That is plenty of time to be ready for Frisco.
In other words, “we might get hot in the conference tournament, and who knows?”

Reality therapy:

This team isn’t any good. Most of these players are here because they had no other offers at this level. Most should be in bottom of Div I bus-and-gym leagues or in the MEC or with some unpronounceable Eastern European junior team. There is no secret plan to improve for February or March.

Will this team win a few? Sure. Bluefield State is a lock. Morehead is a bus-and-gym league and EKU just got manhandled by fourth year in the division NKU. And the conference is pure garbage. One third make a token effort at the sport, another third do not have the resources. Leaving only the significant third. Finishing 5th or 6th is a down year for the significant third. And we are picked 11th.

Dan hasn’t remotely got a free pass here. From the time he was hired he was slammed. There are the same amount of people who feel Dan does nothing wrong as there are people who feel Doc does nothing wrong. I swear reading this board when it comes to talk about Dan getting a free pass is like watching a twilight zone episode. Dan has been heavily criticized every year he has been here including the year he won the CUSA tournament and a game in the NCAAs. This ridiculous notion that Doc is some unfairly criticized martyr and Dan is the Teflon Don is laughable.

On our own Herdnation board the staff other than Aaron doesn’t even comment on basketball unless it’s negative but will spend page after page defending the mediocrity that has been Marshall football during the Holiday era.

For the record I am a fan of Dan and I will always thank him for the CUSA tourney win and the game we won in the tournament. But honestly I’m sick of all the blow out losses we have had, I’m tired of him constantly recruiting Euro projects. I still don’t know why he didn’t go after some of these kids like the guy playing at WKU that could have helped the team. I don’t know why he doesn’t have better shooters on the team after we knew we were losing Burks and Elmore. Honestly I think he’s been an extremely mediocre coach but luckily for him he has a great personality and is beloved by the majority of the non message board fan base. So he will be allowed to muddle along and keep doing what he’s doing until he retires. I hate the fact we have zero expectations from either of our money sports by the Athletic Department.

Now let’s switch to Doc. First off the guy is finishing his 10th season at MU and from all indications will be back for his 11th and beyond. So to act like he hasn’t been given every opportunity in the world is ridiculous.

Lets look at what Doc has had to work with during his 10 years at Marshall. He is the highest paid head football coach by far in Marshalls history. He has had a state of the art IPF built during his tenure, a high level weight room, renovations to the facilities building, a remodel of our locker rooms that look as good as many P5 programs. Also during his tenure CUSA did a massive shakeup that saw us lose some of the top teams in the conference and have them replaced by Sunbelt, FCS and teams that have t even had a program for 10 years.

We have also had multiple seasons including this year where we didn’t play any P5s the whole year, not even bad P5s. We have also during his tenure played multiple P5s at the Joan. Something we never had during our glory years and something Snyder only had twice even with all the P5s we played during his tenure.

The ROI for this is as followed in his 10 years. One CUSA championship, 2 East division championships, multiple worst losses in the Joans history including blowout losses to G5’s. A terrible winning percentage against teams with a winning record. Only 1 year where we were in the national conversation about being one of the top G5 programs in the country which was lost by losing at home to a 500 conference mate. Even though we have had the best recruiting classes in our history, very few of Docs players make the NFL. Butts in seats at the Joan continue to go down to finally an ultra embarrassing senior day turnout. But with all that he will be back for an 11th season where is this double standard? Please show it to me. Name another school in the country that would let the HC stick around for 11 years with the above track record.

There is zero pressure from the AD office that he isn’t doing a good job. They are very content. So please tell me other than a few people on a message board show me all of this martyrdom that Doc has had to go through.

When Taylor is eligible and plays at least 20 minutes per game, who is not going to get much playing time? Also, can Taylor get the ball into Bennet so we can get some easy buckets inside? I think it must be hard for a team that has been conditioned to shoot from the perimeter to adjust to moving the ball inside on a consistent basis. Thus, we have an offense that looks out of sync. I agree with Herdmeister that Taylor will add to the offense, but the biggest advance will be to see the team become a smooth inside-outside unit. Kinsey needs to establish himself as a small forward, not a guard. He can contribute more with rebounds, interior defense, and put-backs that trying to shoot 3's. Team is still a work in progress, but has potential. Danny can spot talent and potential in young players. He has done it for a career. But few of his recruits are going to excel as Frosh.

Why even play?

Rather than ask that, the real question is WHY NOT DEMAND EXCELLENCE?

Why accept mediocre, or far worst than mediocre, basketball? Why accept 50 point beat downs? Why accept being 11th in a league where there are not even 10 teams that even try? Why have a system where even the strongest apologists have nothing to say but that, like 99% of teams, it is theoretically possible to have a hot streak in the conference tournament? Why look like WVU fans who will say “rifle team” at the drop of a hat when actual accomplishments are mentioned (here substitute “2018” for “rifle team” ) ? Why believe that somehow “we wanted it more” is a substitute for actual coaching? Why delude one’s self about the horrid nature of CUSA basketball and the ease with which it could be dominated? Why believe that, somehow, the entire recruiting ratings system is wrong, and that beating out Concord for the best WV HS players (after WVU gets the rare Div I prospect) and filling the gaps with projects, suspects, rejects and Euros is reasonable?

Why?

caliherd the answer to your question regarding recruiting is easy. Go ask any high school basketball player who is Dan Dantoni (outside of southern WV). Get back to me on the answer. Be truthful.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Rather than ask that, the real question is WHY NOT DEMAND EXCELLENCE?

Why accept mediocre, or far worst than mediocre, basketball? Why accept 50 point beat downs? Why accept being 11th in a league where there are not even 10 teams that even try? Why have a system where even the strongest apologists have nothing to say but that, like 99% of teams, it is theoretically possible to have a hot streak in the conference tournament? Why look like WVU fans who will say “rifle team” at the drop of a hat when actual accomplishments are mentioned (here substitute “2018” for “rifle team” ) ? Why believe that somehow “we wanted it more” is a substitute for actual coaching? Why delude one’s self about the horrid nature of CUSA basketball and the ease with which it could be dominated? Why believe that, somehow, the entire recruiting ratings system is wrong, and that beating out Concord for the best WV HS players (after WVU gets the rare Div I prospect) and filling the gaps with projects, suspects, rejects and Euros is reasonable?

Why?

The fact that everything you have said in this post shows you why everybody gives you crap about your posts. Because every single thing you have written completely applies to the football program as well. The fact you can’t see what an incredible hypocrite you are is astounding. We have ZERO expectations of our football program. Zero zip zilch none.
I have no problem with your criticism of the basketball program much of it is deserved. But where you completely blow it and why literally nobody pays attention to you or takes you seriously is because you have literally no expectations of the football program. You are the textbook definition of a hypocrite.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
You are the textbook definition of a hypocrite.

Hypocrite (n) :

1 - A person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2 - A person who acts in contradiction to his stated beliefs or feelings

So, we are dealing with definition #2. My stated beliefs are simple. Our football program, while I wish we had won a few more games over the last few years, is again bowl eligible, and promises to continue to deliver for the rest of the long Doc era, and beyond. Further, the keyboard warriors and others will eventually kill this program with unrealistic expectations, bouncing from coach to coach until the whole thing become unsustainable, in the vain hope of recapturing a long past era, the memories of which are getting gilded with false memory over time. Just like so many programs, P5 and G5, that have run off good coach after good coach.

Our basketball program is hapless, hopeless, and aimless. It plays in a conference it should easily dominate. It does not.

You need a new textbook.

Reactions: herd66
caliherd the answer to your question regarding recruiting is easy. Go ask any high school basketball player who is Dan Dantoni (outside of southern WV). Get back to me on the answer. Be truthful.
I can name 3 on our squad now that said they came to Marshall because of Dan running the offense that he and Mike perfected.
Taevion Kinsey, Cam Brooks Harris and Andrew Taylor. There may be more but all 3 of them told me that

Hypocrite (n) :

So, we are dealing with definition #2. My stated beliefs are simple. Our football program, while I wish we had won a few more games over the last few years, is again bowl eligible, and promises to continue to deliver for the rest of the long Doc era, and beyond. Further, the keyboard warriors and others will eventually kill this program with unrealistic expectations, bouncing from coach to coach until the whole thing become unsustainable, in the vain hope of recapturing a long past era, the memories of which are getting gilded with false memory over time. Just like so many programs, P5 and G5, that have run off good coach after good coach.

Our basketball program is hapless, hopeless, and aimless. It plays in a conference it should easily dominate. It does not.

You need a new textbook.
Hypocrite (n) :

You need a new textbook.
Change the second word in the next to last paragraph from "basketball" to "football" and the 2 programs are equal. I wonder how Sam sees with those dark sunglasses on all the time when it comes to football.

You mean our bowl bound football team?
Yes, but anybody with a pulse goes to a bowl game. How many bowl games are there? 40, 39? Sometimes even teams with losing records go to bowl games. Doesn't matter who you beat, just get 6 wins and you're in. And the bowls that CUSA teams go to are not highly regarded, in such places as Frisco, Shreveport, Nassau. And FAU, which won the conference, literally stays home in Boca. Now, that's a real reward.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes, but anybody with a pulse goes to a bowl game. How many bowl games are there? 40, 39? Sometimes even teams with losing records go to bowl games. Doesn't matter who you beat, just get 6 wins and you're in. And the bowls that CUSA teams go to are not highly regarded, in such places as Frisco, Shreveport, Nassau. And FAU, which won the conference, literally stays home in Boca. Now, that's a real reward.
If you recall, they stayed home 2 years ago as well. The conference knows that they would take nobody with them on the road so let them stay home

You mean our bowl bound football team?

We forced a resignation of a coach in 2009 right before the team went to a bowl game. Thank goodness there weren't enough people like you and Perkins who are so scared of changing coaches you'll accept anything. There was a poll on this very board toward the end of 2009 and somewhere between 30-35% wanted to give snyder another year, even after he never had a winning regular season in 5 years. Would you like to go back to 2009 and keep snyder?

I would also arguing that playing in some of the meaningless bowls that we do are basically the same as playing in the CIT... why is a crap bowl better than a crap post season tourney? Asking for a friend

Unless a team is in the access bowl/Playoff, playing in a bowl game is pretty much meaningless and carries no prestige. Just like the CIT. That said, glad our teams do it/did it. Better than sitting at home. jmo

Would you like to go back to 2009 and keep snyder?

Of course not. Since I understand football, I understood that Snyder was incompetent from nearly day one. I opposed his hire by The Liar, and called for his firing after failed year one, failed year two, failed year three, failed year four, and failed year five. The day he and his master, The Liar, left this campus, never to return, was a great day.

BTW, in said failed year five, Suntan Man, beat a I-AA, 7-6 BUGS, 2-10 (1-10 in I-A) Memphis, 3-9 (2-9 in I-A) Tulane, 5-7 UAB, and upset an 8-5 SMU, which caused a major melt down in Mustang-land.

Of course, I added my voice to those calling for Snyder and The Liar to be fired. Long before anyone listened. It was, clearly, obvious in failed year one, that he had not one clue.

Unless a team is in the access bowl/Playoff, playing in a bowl game is pretty much meaningless and carries no prestige. Just like the CIT. That said, glad our teams do it/did it. Better than sitting at home. jmo

I agree.. I like being in a bowl and I like being in a post season tourney. If for no other reason that additional practices and exposure... I am just wondering what the difference is in one's opinion of the football team being successful by winning the conference once and never playing in the access bowl and being in basically meaningless bowl games the rest of the way, vs basketball winning the conference once and winning an NCAA tourney game, and playing in meaningless tournaments the rest of the way.

Is football better than basketball because there are more seasons of meaningless bowls than there are meaningless postseason basketball tourneys?

Is football better than basketball because there are more seasons of meaningless bowls than there are meaningless postseason basketball tourneys?

Well, first off, MU is FBS, or to use the term that should have never been changed, I-A. There are 130 I-A programs. MU is the fourth smallest enrollment among public schools in I-A. West Virginia is the smallest state to have two I-A programs, and 4th smallest to have even one (Wyoming, Idaho, Hawaii). MU is in Conference USA, which exists for one purpose, like minded institutions relative to football (where you think this or that school has an actual chance to compete given its economic situation is a different discussion, each is here because it wants to play football at this level). USA Today’s ranking of teams 1-130 ranks MU 44th, which is about right, and consistently where we are. Only 10 G5 programs ahead of us. MU has made a bowl every year, save one, since Doc got his own players in here, there are 40 bowls, 4- x 2 is 80, meaning, at worst, MU was 80th out of 130, meaning 80th out the 1000s and 1000s of schools that play football.

Marshall. In Huntington West Virginia.

MU football is punching well above its weight.

In basketball, MU is among the 353 Div. I programs. Many smaller schools, including many smaller public schools. MU’s arena is in the top 25% in size, many programs play in what can only be called gyms. Attendance is solid. Every game is on TV or internet TV. Team travels is generally by air. Conference USA in basketball is made up of programs at all levels, drug along for football purposes. A third don’t even try, another third lack the resources. MU is in a one-bid league. There are 22 one-bid leagues, more or less. Say 12 per league (don’t have time to look it up) 22 x 12. That is 264 or so one-bid teams. Out of 353, roughly 100 teams actually at the top level. And 260 ish trying to get a bid, and maybe win a game or even two.

MU has ONCE won this sorry league’s one-bid, and ONCE won ONE game in the real tournament.

MU is grossly underperforming in basketball and has been since Huck was run off. It is not just Danny, it is a 30 year history of accepting mediocrity and actually worse.

MU along with the other teams that actually try at basketball, should DOMINATE CUSA, every year. It should come down to four or five teams, every year, and it is failure for MU to not be in the group, every year.

Well, first off, MU is FBS, or to use the term that should have never been changed, I-A. There are 130 I-A programs. MU is the fourth smallest enrollment among public schools in I-A. West Virginia is the smallest state to have two I-A programs, and 4th smallest to have even one (Wyoming, Idaho, Hawaii). MU is in Conference USA, which exists for one purpose, like minded institutions relative to football (where you think this or that school has an actual chance to compete given its economic situation is a different discussion, each is here because it wants to play football at this level). USA Today’s ranking of teams 1-130 ranks MU 44th, which is about right, and consistently where we are. Only 10 G5 programs ahead of us. MU has made a bowl every year, save one, since Doc got his own players in here, there are 40 bowls, 4- x 2 is 80, meaning, at worst, MU was 80th out of 130, meaning 80th out the 1000s and 1000s of schools that play football.

Marshall. In Huntington West Virginia.

MU football is punching well above its weight.

In basketball, MU is among the 353 Div. I programs. Many smaller schools, including many smaller public schools. MU’s arena is in the top 25% in size, many programs play in what can only be called gyms. Attendance is solid. Every game is on TV or internet TV. Team travels is generally by air. Conference USA in basketball is made up of programs at all levels, drug along for football purposes. A third don’t even try, another third lack the resources. MU is in a one-bid league. There are 22 one-bid leagues, more or less. Say 12 per league (don’t have time to look it up) 22 x 12. That is 264 or so one-bid teams. Out of 353, roughly 100 teams actually at the top level. And 260 ish trying to get a bid, and maybe win a game or even two.

MU has ONCE won this sorry league’s one-bid, and ONCE won ONE game in the real tournament.

MU is grossly underperforming in basketball and has been since Huck was run off. It is not just Danny, it is a 30 year history of accepting mediocrity and actually worse.

MU along with the other teams that actually try at basketball, should DOMINATE CUSA, every year. It should come down to four or five teams, every year, and it is failure for MU to not be in the group, every year.

Laughable nonsense.

Sam. Mediocrity in bball is one conference championship in DD's tenure. Overperformance in fball is one conference championship in Doc's tenure. Please explain the difference. By the way, this super tough conference had 7 teams this year that we're at 6-6 or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: YouGotMossed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT