ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Promised to Protect Steel. Layoffs Are Coming Instead.

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
I told my son, ‘Christmas is going to be kind of scarce, because mommy’s going to lose her job soon,’” said Kimberly Allen, a steelworker and single parent who has worked at the plant for more than 22 years. On the seniority list, she’s 72nd.
The layoffs have stunned these steelworkers who, just a year ago, greeted President Trump’s election as a new dawn for their industry. Mr. Trump pledged to build roads and bridges, strengthen “Buy America” provisions, protect factories from unfair imports and revive industry, especially steel.

But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has actually done more harm than good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

As I said over a year ago, when your voting base is comprised mostly of uneducated ("I love the uneducated!"), it is easy to give them middle-school student council promises of banning homework and two hour recess breaks and win their votes.

Now, when the uneducated finally opens their eyes, they realize what has happened to them . . . but, hey, at least they feel comfortable flying their Confederate flags and marching in white pride rallies now.

As I said over a year ago, when your voting base is comprised mostly of uneducated ("I love the uneducated!"), it is easy to give them middle-school student council promises of banning homework and two hour recess breaks and win their votes.

Uneducated what or who?

I swear, people that can't type a complete sentence make it so hard to read and comment on this forum. :rolleyes:

1cinqz.jpg

Now, when the uneducated finally opens their eyes, they realize what has happened to them . . . but, hey, at least they feel comfortable flying their Confederate flags and marching in white pride rallies now.
So why do blacks keep.voting for democrats?

Yeah, and your side has all the folks concerned with women's rights, right Harvey?

Reactions: Walter Brennaneer
Yeah, and your side has all the folks concerned with women's rights, right Harvey?

I don't know what is more concerning: Bigoted Cracker actually thinking this is a worthwhile analogy to attempt or the moronic wvu fan actually liking it.

Nobody on the left is defending Weinstein's alleged actions. Hell, he isn't even defending them if they happen to be true.

On the other hand, there are plenty on the right - including their leader - supporting the bigoted comments and actions against gays, Jews, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, women, and just about every other minority. You fvcking morons are having marches against those groups.

Since you have trouble with reading comprehension, I will state it again.

Nobody on the left is defending mistreatment of women, let alone any group. There are plenty on the right - including cheeto - who are fighting against those groups that I named to have equal rights.

We need to make a board similar to Pullman where it is by invite only. If an invitee fails to live up to the bare minimum of intelligence required, they will be booted.

Reactions: Dre621
rifle, I'm genuinely curious: what would you say shaped your political ideology? You're a pretty extreme outlier on the political spectrum of alpha-type males.

rifle, I'm genuinely curious: what would you say shaped your political ideology? You're a pretty extreme outlier on the political spectrum of alpha-type males.

My guess? Living in D.C. - the heart of the machine - and hanging out with too many educated idiots (that is, politicians) and pseudo-celebrities.

Probably grew up around elitist and likely those who were around higher education. He mentions education a lot.

Yet you defend yourself posting multiple photos of scantly clad women online, without their knowledge or consent, in an effort to brag about sleeping with them. And your retort is to attempt to insult my intelligence? Nice try, Harveyarm.

This leap you are trying to make is wider than Huggins' waistline.

You're claiming that since I showed pictures of girls that show the same amount of skin as their bikinis - which they wear in front of strangers at the pool/beach - that it somehow disqualifies me from calling out groups for sexual assaults, racial bigotry, ethnic/religious/gay discrimination, etc.

You are going to have to explain this one, because other than the usual cheerleaders who "like" any comment against me, I don't think even the dumbest of Republicans on here can figure out your attempt.

I don't believe having empathy makes an "alpha-type male" an "outlier." I also don't believe that having the conviction to turn down self-beneficial aspects (good food from certain establishments, voting for candidates who may help tax brackets other than my own) either for the betterment of others or out of simple principle is unusual; perhaps on this board, but not in many other parts of this country.

Hollyweird knew it was going on for decades. They turned a blind eye to it and pretended it didn’t exist unless they were joking about it at celebrity roasts or award shows.

That's foolish of you. Those rumors are no different than rumors about a certain musician being gay/bisexual (which run rampant at some point in just about every male star's career), about a certain star being hooked on drugs, etc.

Taking it past satire or joking, to the point that they become accusations that are unsubstantiated, leaves one open to not only litigation but also basic ethical violations toward the accused. You don't go around accusing somebody of something that serious based on second-hand (at best) stories of things that may have happened a decade ago.

Where's herdman in this thread? I think he and I are the only two people on this board that realize how strategically important steel production is for our nation.

Read deeper into the article than dherd's copy and paste, and you start to see where priorities lie...

The layoffs have stunned these steelworkers who, just a year ago, greeted President Trump’s election as a new dawn for their industry. Mr. Trump pledged to build roads and bridges, strengthen “Buy America” provisions, protect factories from unfair imports and revive industry, especially steel.

But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has had unintended consequences.

Foreign steel makers have rushed to get their product into the United States before tariffs start. According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, which tracks shipments, steel imports were 19.4 percent higher in the first 10 months of 2017 than in the same period last year.

That surge of imports has hurt American steel makers, which were already struggling against a glut of cheap Chinese steel. When ArcelorMittal announced the layoffs in Conshohocken, it blamed those imports, as well as low demand for steel for bridges and military equipment.

The plant’s specialty is ultrastrong, military-grade steel...

Reforming trade was one of the president’s signature campaign promises, and in his first months in office, Mr. Trump issued dozens of executive actions. One pulled the United States out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-country trade pact. Others ordered investigations into imports or renegotiations of trade pacts.

Uncertainty about how these measures will reshape trade rules is now weighing on many industries. Companies are waiting to invest, or finding additional suppliers outside the United States, executives in agriculture, automobiles, solar energy and information technology have said.

In April, the president ordered parallel investigations into imports of steel and aluminum under the little-used Section 232 of a 1962 trade law, which permits sweeping restrictions to protect national security.

Earlier this year, tariffs seemed imminent. Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, said in late May that he expected to conclude the steel investigation by the end of June.

And in early June, Mr. Trump told a crowd in Cincinnati, “Wait till you see what I’m going to do for steel and your steel companies,” vowing that he would “stop the dumping” of products at superlow prices by other nations.

“We’ll be seeing that very soon. The steel folks are going to be very happy,” he said.

But the announcement never came.

That appears to be caused partly by internal divisions within the White House. Some officials, like Mr. Ross — a former steel executive who was on ArcelorMittal’s board until he was confirmed in February — wanted to push ahead with tariffs. But others, including economic and national security advisers, worried about repercussions, trade advisers say.

The tariffs had plenty of opponents. Automakers, food processors and companies in other industries that use steel and aluminum in their products complained that tariffs would drive up costs and make them less competitive, ultimately sacrificing more American jobs than they would save. Steel exporters, like the European Union, threatened retaliation. Prominent economists highlighted the risk of a trade war.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Corporations today only care about one thing: maximizing profit. American corporations give not one shit about national strategic position. Many national security "experts" are nothing but shills for globalism and corporations, and have fallen to the mistaken belief that trade solves everything and makes the world peaceful. That is as big a fairy tale as bleeding hearts thinking love will make the world peaceful. Trade unites nations that have common goals. China and the USA do NOT have common goals. Trade unites nations that have similar culture and moral moorings. China and the USA do NOT share such common traits. China gladly sacrifices the health and lives of its citizens to gain competitive and strategic advantages, and has done so to weaken the strategic position of the USA and Europe. China is playing a long game to dominate half of the globe. We are playing a short game to enrich the few.

Changes in trade policy to strengthen our position will require temporary pain. Trade war is a risk that must be taken for long-term benefit. The USA must convince Europe that we are one team strategically. While much of the economic future lies in technology, technology alone does not build infrastructure and war capability. Steel does. The USA is the top net importer of steel in the world, China is by far the top steel producer in the world. The USA and Europe should come to agreement that when it comes to steel we should isolate China from our markets. Trade with each other as we have common goals and culture. War with China WILL come, maybe not in our lifetime but we must be prepared for it. Be it economic war in which they cut off the supply of steel or actual all out war our collision course is set by our differences. Read some Samuel P Huntington. China is not building islands in the sea for beach resorts.

And American automakers can kiss my ass. We have bent over backwards to give them everything they want, especially cheap Mexican labor. Time for them to take one for the team.

Where's herdman in this thread? I think he and I are the only two people on this board that realize how strategically important steel production is for our nation.

Read deeper into the article than dherd's copy and paste, and you start to see where priorities lie...

But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has had unintended consequences.

Foreign steel makers have rushed to get their product into the United States before tariffs start. According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, which tracks shipments, steel imports were 19.4 percent higher in the first 10 months of 2017 than in the same period last year.

That surge of imports has hurt American steel makers, which were already struggling against a glut of cheap Chinese steel. When ArcelorMittal announced the layoffs in Conshohocken, it blamed those imports, as well as low demand for steel for bridges and military equipment.

Reforming trade was one of the president’s signature campaign promises, and in his first months in office, Mr. Trump issued dozens of executive actions. One pulled the United States out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-country trade pact. Others ordered investigations into imports or renegotiations of trade pacts.

Uncertainty about how these measures will reshape trade rules is now weighing on many industries. Companies are waiting to invest, or finding additional suppliers outside the United States, executives in agriculture, automobiles, solar energy and information technology have said.

In April, the president ordered parallel investigations into imports of steel and aluminum under the little-used Section 232 of a 1962 trade law, which permits sweeping restrictions to protect national security.

Earlier this year, tariffs seemed imminent. Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, said in late May that he expected to conclude the steel investigation by the end of June.

And in early June, Mr. Trump told a crowd in Cincinnati, “Wait till you see what I’m going to do for steel and your steel companies,” vowing that he would “stop the dumping” of products at superlow prices by other nations.

“We’ll be seeing that very soon. The steel folks are going to be very happy,” he said.

That appears to be caused partly by internal divisions within the White House. Some officials, like Mr. Ross — a former steel executive who was on ArcelorMittal’s board until he was confirmed in February — wanted to push ahead with tariffs. But others, including economic and national security advisers, worried about repercussions, trade advisers say.

The tariffs had plenty of opponents. Automakers, food processors and companies in other industries that use steel and aluminum in their products complained that tariffs would drive up costs and make them less competitive, ultimately sacrificing more American jobs than they would save. Steel exporters, like the European Union, threatened retaliation. Prominent economists highlighted the risk of a trade war.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Corporations today only care about one thing: maximizing profit. American corporations give not one shit about national strategic position. Many national security "experts" are nothing but shills for globalism and corporations, and have fallen to the mistaken belief that trade solves everything and makes the world peaceful. That is as big a fairy tale as bleeding hearts thinking love will make the world peaceful. Trade unites nations that have common goals. China and the USA do NOT have common goals. Trade unites nations that have similar culture and moral moorings. China and the USA do NOT share such common traits. China gladly sacrifices the health and lives of its citizens to gain competitive and strategic advantages, and has done so to weaken the strategic position of the USA and Europe. China is playing a long game to dominate half of the globe. We are playing a short game to enrich the few.

Changes in trade policy to strengthen our position will require temporary pain. Trade war is a risk that must be taken for long-term benefit. The USA must convince Europe that we are one team strategically. While much of the economic future lies in technology, technology alone does not build infrastructure and war capability. Steel does. The USA is the top net importer of steel in the world, China is by far the top steel producer in the world. The USA and Europe should come to agreement that when it comes to steel we should isolate China from our markets. Trade with each other as we have common goals and culture. War with China WILL come, maybe not in our lifetime but we must be prepared for it. Be it economic war in which they cut off the supply of steel or actual all out war our collision course is set by our differences. Read some Samuel P Huntington. China is not building islands in the sea for beach resorts.

And American automakers can kiss my ass. We have bent over backwards to give them everything they want, especially cheap Mexican labor. Time for them to take one for the team.
agree 100%. We are still the fourth largest producer in the world. Lets see if Trump fixes this.... we need to produce more and import less. Heck we shouldn't import any IMO

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

Libs and independents alike want military cuts, want dirty pollution producing businesses shuttered, and would openly scream about the trade war tariffs would create.

Anyone with the slightest common sense understands that decades of this trend isn’t going to be reversed in less than a year.

You want steal production increased in this country, some of the first steps are locking down the EPA, and restructuring trade deals.

Reactions: 19MU88
You want steal production increased

Well then we are going to need some of those fast little fleas on the bases, instead of those big cocksuckers that can hit the ball out of the park.

EPA my ass. You want this? This is Beijing, and that ain't fog:

29CHINAAIR-web1-master675.jpg

beijing-pollution.jpg

Damn right you restructure trade deals; if you want to pollute your environment and risk your citizens' health like this, you are not selling shit here. It really is that simple. And we know China dumps steel anyway (and manipulates their currency), there is no need to restructure trade deals on steel, by law declare them dumpers and currency manipulators and tariff their asses....you know, like Trump said he would do.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Well then we are going to need some of those fast little fleas on the bases, instead of those big cocksuckers that can hit the ball out of the park.

EPA my ass. You want this? This is Beijing, and that ain't fog:

29CHINAAIR-web1-master675.jpg

beijing-pollution.jpg

Damn right you restructure trade deals; if you want to pollute your environment and risk your citizens' health like this, you are not selling shit here. It really is that simple. And we know China dumps steel anyway (and manipulates their currency), there is no need to restructure trade deals on steel, by law declare them dumpers and currency manipulators and tariff their asses....you know, like Trump said he would do.

I don’t totally disagree with you, but You can’t have it all (at once). Do you want steel production here or not? It’s dirty as hell and requires a shit ton of resources to reopen/expand.

Most communities would openly work to block a new mill being built in their back yard.

Let’s look at Huntington Specialty Metals (Nickel plant) as an example. They and one other company (in Europe) produce what they manufacture in the world....that’s it. This type of producer (were it to shut down) would never be allowed to reopen in this country. However, the toxic shit they release is a byproduct of this necessary industry.

You want massive steel production back in this country?? You better be able to tolerate some dirty air, and higher priced commodities.

You want massive steel production back in this country?? You better be able to tolerate some dirty air, and higher priced commodities.

Some dirty air is the key. Of course steel production will not be 100% clean. What we are "competing" against is the reality of pollution in China. You cannot compete with that AND have a high quality of life for your citizens. So we simply should not even try, and neither should Europe, Japan, and South Korea. Fvck China, until they decide to be a responsible state for their citizens. I would not mind the higher costs of goods caused by that. Steel and other metals are too important to national security, both militarily and economically, to just write off and let those particular bastards control the market. China can sell all the steel they wish to shitty Asian nations and Africa, that should keep them busy.

Last edited:
The people in my neck of the woods would probably be open to the opening/reopening and expansion of the steel mills.

Sounds like a business opportunity for you. Apparently it’s easy opening a steel mill. Fire up the furnace ‘06!!!!

Thank goodness Trump is at least living up to his word re: unfair trade practices, by preparing to impose punitive tariffs on Canadian based Bombardier. There should not be a net loss of jobs nationally due to these types of unfair trade practices.

The next world war is going to be in europe again. We are going to need tanks, artillery, vehicles, etc. Steel should be a national security issue.

Here is an article from a few months back which is good news. I lived in the "Steel Valley" for a couple of years back in the early 90's. I can't begin to tell some of you how devastating the loss of these steel mill jobs has been on the people of that area. We need to disallow countries from dumping cheap steel in the USA and hold them accountable. Like a few have said this is also a national security issue. We lost some market share in the 70's due to an arbitrarily inflated season after WW2 when Europe was rebuilding and the markets in Asia were developing. We are still the #4 steel producer in the world but we should do better. We need these good paying union jobs in order to have a strong economy.

http://wtov9.com/news/local/news9-special-assignment-open-for-business-the-mingo-mill

I do hope the Trump administration will stay on top of this and make this a priority!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT