ADVERTISEMENT

Try to enjoy the win

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
I know there are some who are upset we are only 8-3. In my mind we should be no worse than 9-2.However, I am happy to be where we are at the moment.Here is something to consider We beat LIL Miami, the second best team in the MAC East so I think we could hold our own over there in the MAC. Not sure how our next 2 games will pan out but am headed to Out Back Steakhouse to enjoy a nice meal with the wife.Try to enjoy the win guys it is always better than a loss.

I know there are some who are upset we are only 8-3. In my mind we should be no worse than 9-2.However, I am happy to be where we are at the moment.Here is something to consider We beat LIL Miami, the second best team in the MAC East so I think we could hold our own over there in the MAC. Not sure how our next 2 games will pan out but am headed to Out Back Steakhouse to enjoy a nice meal with the wife.Try to enjoy the win guys it is always better than a loss.

Sorry but the expectation here is to play for and win championships, if we do neither it’s a disappointment in my eyes. Playing for participation trophies is not something I agree with.

Sorry but the expectation here is to play for and win championships, if we do neither it’s a disappointment in my eyes. Playing for participation trophies is not something I agree with.

That’s not to say I’m unhappy with a win but I’m not jumping for joy just because we’ve won 8 games. I think we’ve wasted another season with a lot of talent with no rings to show for it.

What a sad fanbase. We are only 8-3.

I used to say we were the opposite of the WVU fanbase, and meant it with pride. We knew who we were and took pride in what we accomplished, knowing that I-AA was I-AA and later that the MAC was the MAC, while the typical Spamie would argue you that Temple & Rutgers = Alabama & Ohio State.

Now, I am sad to say we are the opposite in a bad way. This fan base has so little regard for our program that they believe that every game should be an automatic, no challenge win and nothing less than 12-0 is anything, and that 12-0 is really not all that big a deal.

Sad.

That’s not to say I’m unhappy with a win but I’m not jumping for joy just because we’ve won 8 games. I think we’ve wasted another season with a lot of talent with no rings to show for it.

I started to berate you by saying, "only a Marshall fan would be on here complaining about a win," but Supafan Sam already beat me to it.

https://heyjackass.com/
Truer words were never spoken...our only improvement has been going from 4-4 to 6-2 in conference play.

We had 7 championships in 9 consecutive years which lead us to conference USA and the 2 of those years we were runner up...... now we have had 1 championship in the last 16 years and no other appearances

I would take a championship over any bowl game against any team P5 or G5
Maybe we should move to DIV III.

We had 7 championships in 9 consecutive years which lead us to conference USA and the 2 of those years we were runner up...... now we have had 1 championship in the last 16 years and no other appearances

Good Times...we were growing during those 9 years.

not true. From 1997 -2004 we had 5 titles and runner up once.

Reactions: 31Herd55
What a sad fanbase. We are only 8-3.

I used to say we were the opposite of the WVU fanbase, and meant it with pride. We knew who we were and took pride in what we accomplished, knowing that I-AA was I-AA and later that the MAC was the MAC, while the typical Spamie would argue you that Temple & Rutgers = Alabama & Ohio State.

Now, I am sad to say we are the opposite in a bad way. This fan base has so little regard for our program that they believe that every game should be an automatic, no challenge win and nothing less than 12-0 is anything, and that 12-0 is really not all that big a deal.

Sad.
win some conference championships. Stop finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.

Exactly, if we were just as successful in CUSA then we were in the MAC and Southern, we would have be looking for a new conference (AAC) in earnest long ago.

We will never be seriously considered for membership in a better conference until we start dominating our bottom feeder conference. Way too many fans content with our continuous mediocre showing in C-USA.

Maybe after we win the "Blacksburg Bowl" on Saturday, we can get some t-shirts printed up at a reasonable cost at Hometown or Glen's . Then everybody can have a souvenir of the season and be happy.

Might even have some to send to the inbred EERS in Morganhole who are currently in melt down mode wishing, hoping, praying, crying for anybody with a HC opening, e.g., Texas Tech, Colorado, to take ole Holgy away from town. Seems like he hasn't won any championships in the Big 12, and they just don't think participation in another "Taco Loco" Bowl in Arizona or Texas is a satisfactory consolation prize!!

We will never be seriously considered for membership in a better conference until we start dominating our bottom feeder conference. Way too many fans content with our continuous mediocre showing in C-USA.
We will never be in consideration for a better conference until we get a major increase in our athletic budget and our academics up. The reasons we weren’t invited to the Big East had nothing to do with on-field performance. If that were the factor, Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, and SMU wouldn’t have been invited.

The deciding factors were athletic budget, academics, and enrollment (excepting the private schools). It’s why USM wasn’t invited as well. Too small, inferior academics, and undersized budget.

win some conference championships. Stop finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.

People are really forgetting the reality of how much plain better we were than most everybody else in I-AA and in the MAC. It really was men vs. boys. Yeah, we won the championship, most every year. We were supposed to, we were just plain better than everybody we played.

We moved up. We found a conference at our level. It is a challenge. That is what conferences are supposed to be, unless your name is Nick or Dabo.

If you want something where the good guy wins, every time, get into WWE.

Might even have some to send to the inbred EERS in Morganhole who are currently in melt down mode wishing, hoping, praying, crying for anybody with a HC opening, e.g., Texas Tech, Colorado, to take ole Holgy away from town. Seems like he hasn't won any championships in the Big 12, and they just don't think participation in another "Taco Loco" Bowl in Arizona or Texas is a satisfactory consolation prize!!

My Spamite friends are starting to divide into two factions, which is never good for a fanbase (which is why our fanbase's deep divisions worry me so much). The more realistic realize the Holgerson will never do bad enough that he will get fired, and will never do well enough to get serious consideration for a better job; and understand that but for the Big 2 picking them as a field filler over Cincy or whoever, they would be UCF's b**** right now. The truly delusionals actually think that they should have a shot at winning their rigged conference and have soured on Red Bull boy, and have seen the newness of playing, and losing, to teams 1000s of miles away with no commonality between them and pine for the ACC or, even, get this, the SEC (MEMO: you were rejected.)

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
People are really forgetting the reality of how much plain better we were than most everybody else in I-AA and in the MAC. It really was men vs. boys. Yeah, we won the championship, most every year. We were supposed to, we were just plain better than everybody we played.

We moved up. We found a conference at our level. It is a challenge. That is what conferences are supposed to be, unless your name is Nick or Dabo.

My Spamite friends are starting to divide into two factions, which is never good for a fanbase (which is why our fanbase's deep divisions worry me so much). The more realistic realize the Holgerson will never do bad enough that he will get fired, and will never do well enough to get serious consideration for a better job; and understand that but for the Big 2 picking them as a field filler over Cincy or whoever, they would be UCF's b**** right now. The truly delusionals actually think that they should have a shot at winning their rigged conference and have soured on Red Bull boy, and have seen the newness of playing, and losing, to teams 1000s of miles away with no commonality between them and pine for the ACC or, even, get this, the SEC (MEMO: you were rejected.)
We moved up when the original CUSA was in tact. The better programs left. Now it is not that great of a league. Also, the OOC schedules were lightened.

We are not "moved" up now. Plus, that is how many years ago?

Marshall's' football program is underachieving.

Maybe after we win the "Blacksburg Bowl" on Saturday, we can get some t-shirts printed up at a reasonable cost at Hometown or Glen's . Then everybody can have a souvenir of the season and be happy.

Funny stuff about Holgy and the EARS...And I'm looking forward to us playing in The Taco Loco Bowl...I hear it's been moved to Grunch, Idaho.

We will never be considered for a bigger conference even if we dominate CUSA. The schools in the AAC excluded us because they don't want anything to do with us because we are in a small town with little money to grow.

No. The MAC is substantially better than C-USA this year. If Marshall played in the MAC, their record would be worse than it is in C-USA this year.
Personally, I think the Sunbelt is better as well. I think the Sunbelt is a better fit for Marshall in football. I think if Marshall were in the Sunbelt East they would have at least 3 losses in that division.

Personally, I think the Sunbelt is better as well. I think the Sunbelt is a better fit for Marshall in football. I think if Marshall were in the Sunbelt East they would have at least 3 losses in that division.

I don't see the SBC surviving on a financial basis. Mostly it is just teams that figured out that you can lose big $$ by being good in I-AA. Playing in out-of-the-way towns in the dark dark dark shadow of the Southeastern Conference. As TV deals expire, I do not know that much of this league has a financial plan to really make it work.

As to the SBC vs. CUSA, I would like to see the two leagues remastered via geography. As the TV money dries up, that may happen.

1997 -2004 (8 years) While playing in the MAC, we lost a total of 10 games to MAC teams.

2010-2018 (9 years) While playing in CUSA, we lost 7 games to MAC teams.

Bwah!!!
We don't agree on many things, but we agree on this item.

We moved up when the original CUSA was in tact. The better programs left. Now it is not that great of a league. Also, the OOC schedules were lightened.

We are not "moved" up now. Plus, that is how many years ago?

Marshall's' football program is underachieving.

The OOC schedule was made before Pruett left.
Snyder was so bad the fans kept getting tired of being 0-3 before conference play began.

wvu has found themselves in the worst situation they could be in.
In 2011 he wins the Orange Bowl and wvu fans think it's the greatest thing on Earth.
In 2012 they sign him to a big contract...hoping 1 of 2 scenarios:
1. He continues to get them to the BCS or at much higher success, allowing a major program (as wvu is the lower/middle of the pack of the P5) to buy him out. This would leave wvu with tons of money to hire another coach with a competitive salary.
2. Nobody wants to buy him out, which means he'll just continue to win at wvu, which is fine for the AD and the fans.

They forgot about scenario #3.

Holgs doesn't win nearly as much as he's being paid to. However, the buyout is so large that wvu can't afford to fire him, and his winning is not enough for the high standards of winning, that other major programs want.

So they're stuck with him for the time being.
From then on it's:
7-6
4-8
7-6
8-5
What's worse? He had the best season in the Big 12, winning 10 games in 2016, where he got an extension for 5 years.
It's worth?
$18.6 million...topping out at $4 million in the final year.

The following year he went 7-6 and a L in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

This year? He won't even win 10 games.

Ouch.

In 2011 he wins the Orange Bowl and wvu fans think it's the greatest thing on Earth.
In 2012 they sign him to a big contract...hoping 1 of 2 scenarios:
1. He continues to get them to the BCS or at much higher success, allowing a major program (as wvu is the lower/middle of the pack of the P5) to buy him out. This would leave wvu with tons of money to hire another coach with a competitive salary.
2. Nobody wants to buy him out, which means he'll just continue to win at wvu, which is fine for the AD and the fans.

Holgs doesn't win nearly as much as he's being paid to. However, the buyout is so large that wvu can't afford to fire him, and his winning is not enough for the high standards of winning, that other major programs want.

So they're stuck with him for the time being.
From then on it's:
7-6
4-8
7-6
8-5
What's worse? He had the best season in the Big 12, winning 10 games in 2016, where he got an extension for 5 years.
It's worth?
$18.6 million...topping out at $4 million in the final year.

The following year he went 7-6 and a L in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

This year? He won't even win 10 games.

Ouch.
That sounds like our situation.

Ouch.

You are correct, but you forget what WVU sports is all about. It is about 2 things:

- For the majority out-of-state student body, providing quasi- big time sports environment for those turned down by the major schools in their home states and unwilling to settle for the second tier schools back home.

- For the non-alumni West Virginian, with a deep willingness to suspend disbelief, the illusion that this is something similar to what goes on at truly legitimate programs.

Holgy serves both groups quite well. He wins enough to support the annual August certain national championship and recruits well enough to make the ignorant believe that Johnny Twostar really turned down Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame to play for a journeyman coach in a forgotten backwater town in a tiny state. He will be there as long as he wants to work. No body else wants him.

As to us, I am sad to say, we are in the end game, about to run off a solid, if unspactacular, football coach and a superstar, IMHO, AD. We will be the worse for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT