ADVERTISEMENT

Turnaround?

HFF-SLTX

Gold Buffalo
Jan 21, 2006
I keep hearing we have improved from last years debacle?

Have we really?

Has our coaching improved?

We are better than last year... Almost by default because last year was the worst Marshall team in many years.

In my opinion next year is a watershed mark for our program. We return 19 starters and we play our usual weak CUSA schedule. Definite potential for 10-plus regular season wins. The key to unlocking that potential is figuring out how to scire points. As has been said 1000 times in the last 12 hours, that starts with a new voice calling the plays.

We are better than last year... Almost by default because last year was the worst Marshall team in many years.

In my opinion next year is a watershed mark for our program. We return 19 starters and we play our usual weak CUSA schedule. Definite potential for 10-plus regular season wins. The key to unlocking that potential is figuring out how to scire points. As has been said 1000 times in the last 12 hours, that starts with a new voice calling the plays.

As they say in NASCAR, you can have the fastest car, but if you don't know how to drive it you're not gonna win the race.

Who honestly thought Todd Goebbel was going to be a legitimate mind in the offensive room? He was here as WRs coach under Snyder and went to the DII ranks after Doc cleaned house. Then all of a sudden he’s supposed to be a good offensive mind because he coach at Ohio Dominican for 4 seasons? If Doc thought so highly of him, he would have slapped the Co-OC title on him when he first arrived. When he leaves Marshall, he’ll be back at the DII ranks somewhere in OH again.

I see our biggest problem being our QB position. It’s been neglected by our HC. We haven’t had a legit coach at that position since Tony Peterson left and we currently don’t even have a backup there. Wtf? Now the only option we have behind center is a guy going into his 4th season as a starter who can put one ball right on the money on a 40 yards down field and then the next throw not land one in the same area code as his intended target 10 yards away. The consistency is TERRIBLE and that’s not all on Chase, but THAT’s going to lead us to the type of season we’re looking for with the schedule we’ve got set up? Not likely. It’s not just Legg who needs to go, the entire offensive staff needs to be wiped out and we need to get serious at the QB position. If we need to do the whole HCIW thing to land a legit OC/QB coach, then so be it. Tell Doc he can keep Heater and his defensive staff, but the offensive staff is gone. And I REALLY like Mirabal, but the new OC should be able to come in and hire coaches he’s familiar working with and knows his system. If that guy would wants to keep Mirabal, that would be awesome, but he’s the only one I’d worry about losing with the group we currently have. It’s not just Legg, the whole group sucks. None of them jokers are going to be hired away by FBS schools after they leave here. We used to worry about having our assistants hired away. That hasn’t been the case in the past 2-3 years and it shows.

I don't think doc has the balls to make the tough decision to get a good OC. He is a mediocre coach. Snyder was worse. Have to stop the buddy system. I like our DC.

IMHO, if the progam had the faith in Litton necessary to run an up-tempo, high scoring offense, we'd be doing it. There are many reasons for this, including the departure of back-up quarterbacks who didn't want to wait their turn. A couple of things make me feel like this: the most being the fact that we read-shirted Morrell this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT