ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING UAB FOOTBALL

Didn't they already release their players so they could pursue football opportunities at other schools? If so, then would they have enough players to field a competitive team?

Didn't they already release their players so they could pursue football opportunities at other schools? If so, then would they have enough players to field a competitive team?

There is still something like 35 to 40 players still on campus

Lets say they reinstate football for the 2016 season, they can take in a bunch of JUCO transfers for the spring and count them towards the 2015 class and still recruit a full 2016 class and they wont be affected as much

To quote Hillary Clinton "what difference at this point does it make." For all intents and purposes UAB football is dead. As a conf its time to move on.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Sounds like a pathetic attempt to attempt to avoid the NINE MILLION DOLLAR exit fee the UA system (AKA Tuscaloosa) owes us. UAB dropped football. UAB thus defacto withdrew from CUSA. The exit free is $9M. UA system is the signatory to the contract.

Pay up.

It wouldn't be for this upcoming season.

That's kind of why I'm saying what is the point? SMU still hasn't recovered from the death penalty, and they were good. Just imagine what kind of setback this is to UAB football. They fight tooth and nail to go 6-6, at a school where 6-6 feels like 10-2. Then they self impose the death penalty.

I can't imagine how terrible they'd be now.

Did the HC ever get hired somewhere?
He chose to NOT take another job in hopes of bringing the team back. From all I've read, if they do reinstate, they will not field a team in 2015 and 2016. They would then most likely play a FCS schedule a year or two. I don't see anyway that CUSA can afford to wait for them.

That's kind of why I'm saying what is the point? SMU still hasn't recovered from the death penalty, and they were good.

SMU was good because they were cheating at a significantly higher level than other schools.

Their performance over the last decade has nothing to do with ramifications of the death penalty.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I really hope UAB football does not come back.

All that will happen is a small sliver of increased interest from fans to keep the team alive, only to have said team, remain underachieving and sucking for another decade. The fanbase will dwindle as well once more.

Plus, the UA system will then, go even further to screw them in ways I can't imagine. That sh*thead Bear Bryant Jr is the one behind it all and the only way UAB can stop him from stopping their program, is by killing him.

UAB football is going to be a first for several schools, since I think the NCAA is going to try to take measures to ensure other programs don't exist, maybe not as extreme as UAB, but they'll certainly likely make the criteria much more difficult to remain D-1.

SMU was good because they were cheating at a significantly higher level than other schools.

Their performance over the last decade has nothing to do with ramifications of the death penalty.

Whether that's debatable or not doesn't really matter. The point is, UAB is too far gone. Bent themselves over a barrel.

I hope they bring it back. Frankly, there is NOT one school out there that brings anything more to the table than UAB, with or without football. They have name recognition in B'ball and other sports. Their academics, especially tied to space technology and healthcare are well known.
The league can give them a pass for the 2015 season and schedule them back in for 2016. All other sports would not be affected.
Adding a Ga State, ULL, etc, just waters down the perception of the league even more than it is now. I don't give a rats ass about potential. That doesn't help the league short term and we can't afford to wait 5 years for some school to realize their "potential". Charlotte was a bigger risk in football than keeping UAB and letting them re-start their program.

What other sports but basketball does UAB have a name in.

ULL is nationally ranked in baseball and softball and will easily come into this conference as the best team in both sports

ULL is one of the winningest teams in football the last 5 years with 4 straight bowl wins. Plus they have a long standing coach that unless LSU comes calling, I doubt he is leaving

ULL basketball went to the tournament last year

ULL has a fanbase that is strong very strong. In Louisiana it goes LSU first ULL second

ULL delivers a very strong recruiting area for not just football but Olympic sports as well.

ULL has support all the way up to the Govenor in the state

ULL is in a very strong market, with New Orleans and the Baton Rouge markets near by

There isn't a school that we brought up or on the outside looking in that even compares. UAB wishes they could accomplish this much athletically

ULL is nationally ranked in baseball and softball and will easily come into this conference as the best team in both sports

ULL is one of the winningest teams in football the last 5 years with 4 straight bowl wins. Plus they have a long standing coach that unless LSU comes calling, I doubt he is leaving

ULL has a fanbase that is strong very strong. In Louisiana it goes LSU first ULL second

ULL delivers a very strong recruiting area for not just football but Olympic sports as well.

ULL is in a very strong market, with New Orleans and the Baton Rouge markets near by

There isn't a school that we brought up or on the outside looking in that even compares. UAB wishes they could accomplish this much athletically
Correct. I know they usually take 25,000 or so to their bowl games usually played in New Orleans. Their home football attendance average is as good as Marshall's if my memory is correct, Basketball too.

Honestly who cares what they think, They already play them in every sport now. ULL is the best option to be the 14th team and should have been called up the last time around but our Presidents in this conference would rather think about potential instead of current success

IF ULL were that highly thought of, they'd be in another league other than the SB.

IF ULL were that highly thought of, they'd be in another league other than the SB.

Yea like what other league would that be?? The AAC?? They have Tulane right down the road so what other league would they be able to go to. Please use logic because if they are called up they would be able to compete for championships in multiple sports from day 1. You want to improve the conference and have more competitive teams, bringing in the Sun Belts best Athletic department is a start

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Yea like what other league would that be?? The AAC?? They have Tulane right down the road so what other league would they be able to go to. Please use logic because if they are called up they would be able to compete for championships in multiple sports from day 1. You want to improve the conference and have more competitive teams, bringing in the Sun Belts best Athletic department is a start

My head exploded when I saw Fever tell someone else to use logic.

I really hope UAB continues with football, if only simply for their fans. I know that if Marshall's football team ceased to exist, I would lose a part of my life. (That's genuine honesty, not just dumb sports fan babble)

Plus I don't wanna see Alabama and Bear Bryant Jr. get away with it.

Even if UAB fields a pathetic football team, they still come out on top after all of this.

Reactions: marshallmark
I hope they bring it back. Frankly, there is NOT one school out there that brings anything more to the table than UAB, with or without football. They have name recognition in B'ball and other sports. Their academics, especially tied to space technology and healthcare are well known.
The league can give them a pass for the 2015 season and schedule them back in for 2016. All other sports would not be affected.
Adding a Ga State, ULL, etc, just waters down the perception of the league even more than it is now. I don't give a rats ass about potential. That doesn't help the league short term and we can't afford to wait 5 years for some school to realize their "potential". Charlotte was a bigger risk in football than keeping UAB and letting them re-start their program.

UAB sucks. Their football history sucks.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about them. Their own fans failed to even keep them alive...and the few who do care, don't have enough money or political pull to upend Bear Jr.

I pray they just wither and die, don't need them.

You mention that adding ULL or GSU would "water down the schedule." How in the world would adding a school WHO SHUT DOWN FOOTBALL be better than the two previously mentioned schools?

Please, explain.

We feel like UAB has name recognition because it's a name we're accustomed to seeing. You really think UAB holds a higher position in the mind of the average college football fan than ULL or well, any other team?

I hate to say it, but with a good coach and effective recruiting and the current alignment of our conference, they could be a bowl team in two to three years.

I hate to say it, but with a good coach and effective recruiting and the current alignment of our conference, they could be a bowl team in two to three years.

What you just said is probably quite possibly THE MOST GENERIC THING EVER!

Marshall has currently applied your statement to the team and now, we dominate.
Basically, anyone can do what you said.

Funny thing is, UAB could easily try your approach...they probably have, and have failed.
Hope this program gets cut off life support so people can just move on.

If UAB hasn't already tried your approach, they don't deserve to be playing football, at all, ever.

Having been to games at UAB on more than one occasion, I can say with clarity that I hope they do not consider reigniting their dumpster fire.

Awful city, awful stadium, no fan support, no institutional support, no support from their close "pals" in Tuscaloosa.

A few years ago my dad and I laughed that UAB could have brought all their fans in about five school buses (for a home game on a pleasant Saturday).

A few weeks of giving a damn after Bear Jr. announces you are getting the ax, does not suddenly make you a good program, a worthwhile program or a program with future potential. Hate it for the coaches and kids that were effected, but its time to move on.

Lets get rid of one of the F_U schools and have a better quality 12-team league.

Having been to games at UAB on more than one occasion, I can say with clarity that I hope they do not consider reigniting their dumpster fire.

Awful city, awful stadium, no fan support, no institutional support, no support from their close "pals" in Tuscaloosa.

A few years ago my dad and I laughed that UAB could have brought all their fans in about five school buses (for a home game on a pleasant Saturday).

A few weeks of giving a damn after Bear Jr. announces you are getting the ax, does not suddenly make you a good program, a worthwhile program or a program with future potential. Hate it for the coaches and kids that were effected, but its time to move on.

Lets get rid of one of the F_U schools and have a better quality 12-team league.
What a GREAT idea. Unfortunately, I don't believe that any ACC, AAC or SEC teams are wanting to joining CUSA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT