ADVERTISEMENT

UCF QB not playing:

We need to blitz a lot and don’t let him sat back there and throw the ball all day. Put pressure on him and he will make mistakes.

Meh, just need to cheap the starter and put him out, then no backup. Seems reasonable to me

“Cheap”ing the starter and “putting him out” will get you Darriel Mack, Jr., a 6’3”, 229 lb Soph. QB who started and kept UCF competitive against LSU in the Fiesta Bowl as a Freshman a year ago.

So doesn’t sound too reasonable (or sportsmanlike) to me.

“Cheap”ing the starter and “putting him out” will get you Darriel Mack, Jr., a 6’3”, 229 lb Soph. QB who started and kept UCF competitive against LSU in the Fiesta Bowl as a Freshman a year ago.

….."Unreasonable" in the dictionary has Marine03's picture beside it. Pay no attention to that man - plenty of folks over here don't like UCF (me included), but respect the hell out of what y'all have accomplished...……….it's kinda like the last scene in "Officer and a Gentleman" - You guys are Paula and we're the dumb blonde......

….."Unreasonable" in the dictionary has Marine03's picture beside it. Pay no attention to that man - plenty of folks over here don't like UCF (me included), but respect the hell out of what y'all have accomplished...……….it's kinda like the last scene in "Officer and a Gentleman" - You guys are Paula and we're the dumb blonde......

Your dumb analogies are bad enough to read among Marshall fans, but please don't showcase your embarrassment to fans from other schools.

Why so serious? Obviously I would never condone a cheap shot that took out a player on purpose.

It’s bad enough you’re a complete moron with us, but now you’re a complete kiss ass with UCF fans. It’s quite pathetic really.

I've been watching football my whole life, and I'm pretty sure every team I've ever watched on every level of the sport, if presented with the chance to hurt a critical player on the opposing team, would do so.

I frequently cheer for opponents' players to be hurt - when people around me scowl, I just say "Look, if there's a God, and He's listening to me, and He's the kind of God that would hurt that kid simply because I asked him to, we're all in a lot more trouble than this football game."

You probably wont believe me but for what ever it is worth our 3rd string QB could have probably started for half the FBS teams this year.......our backup ran for 4 TDs and passed for 2 TDs with 348 yds in last years Conference Championship.........

Last edited:
Marshall used to be able to out-recruit big schools too, but then the NCAA caught us. Coincidentally, y'all started beating us a few years later and we haven't had a win against you since.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
Marshall used to be able to out-recruit big schools too, but then the NCAA caught us. Coincidentally, y'all started beating us a few years later and we haven't had a win against you since.
Really? What big schools recruited Pennington and Leftwich? We know how Moss ended up at MU. So how many of these big schools did we really out recruit because a guy was being paid a little more to hold a broom? My guess is very few. They were not going to get into the big schools anyway because of grades or whatever. I think you are exagerrating the impact. I don't remember too many 5 star blue chippers going you know what? I am going to Marshall because I can make $17 an hour to act like I am sweeping.

You probably wont believe me but for what ever it is worth our 3rd string QB could have probably started for half the FBS teams this year.......our backup ran for 4 TDs and passed for 2 TDs with 348 yds in last years Conference Championship.........
Can we work a trade? Our 1 for your 3.

The only whining going on is people who want to act like it never happened complaining because I keep reminding you it did.

Shed some light on this for me. How did Marshall gain an on field advantage in the mops for props program? Did they tell the kids, "hey super star, come here, we'll get you a job and you'll be set." Is that how it went down?

Be interesting to see a list of all the players involved. I bet not many had really good careers here. jmho.

Back to someone's point earlier ITT, I don't recall Marshall landing high rated recruits back in the day. I recall having innovative coaches who pushed the limit and got the most out of the players we had. We also had recruiters who either got lucky or were great at finding players and seeing potential when it was there, and then the coaching staff would develop the player.

Paying athletes to work a simple job doing custodial work. Yep, when other programs were doing God knows what, that was the difference in what made our program everything it was. The only difference with us and other successful programs is that we got caught using probably less resources than the other schools had available to pamper the players.

I'm totally certain hiring of Snyduh (who we have already mentioned the NFL players he had on his teams) and John (a lifelong assistant and recruiter who no other school was ever going to hire as HC) who can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack have NOTHING to do with our lack of success. In fact, I'm positive that's it. If only we could reinstate the mops for props program, then we would get back to our old winning ways.

Shed some light on this for me. How did Marshall gain an on field advantage in the mops for props program?

Every year, west of the Mississippi, there are hundreds of stellar football players who fail to make the grades necessary to qualify for play in the NCAA. These athletes are left with no choice but to attend one of the colleges that allows their program to accept nonqualifiers. For whatever reason, most of the top non-qualifiers in this area of the country all agree that the place to be is Boise. Sure, the Broncos bring in lots of highly-rated talent that is qualified out of high school, but they build strength and depth throughout their roster by bringing in these castaways. As a result, a school the size of Marshall, with about as many fans as Marshall, with about as much money as Marshall, has been able to beat the likes of Oklahoma and is ranked in the top 25 every year.

Now, I don't know if they're paying these kids, but I do know we were (sources: reality, newspapers, Wikipedia) - that was the deal: commit to Marshall, and we'll have a donor fund your prop year so you can come here for free. While other schools required you to pay your own way, we used the fact that you were in a gray area to sneak you the money to pay for school and expenses while you waited for the scholarship to kick in. In addition to this, it was found that athletic-department-friendly professors were working with the program to supply athletes with tests in advance, so not only would we pay you, we'd help you with your classwork so the fact you were such a poor student wouldn't result in you losing eligibility once we got you in the door.

We were a prop-processing machine, and this gave us a huge advantage over other prop-friendly schools (which at the time included even the likes of WVU), and we were, for a while, the hub for the best props east of the Mississippi. From 1997-2003, we were Boise State, but then we got busted and had to stop what we were doing.

The results of the Marshall football program from 2004-2019 tell you everything you need to know about how much what we were doing helped us.

While other schools required you to pay your own way, we used the fact that you were in a gray area to sneak you the money to pay for school and expenses while you waited for the scholarship to kick in.

So, we were paying their college tuition fees as well? I'm not saying this isn't true, but I honestly have not heard that part.

And I think at Boise, it's a combination of two factors - they're cheating somehow, but very smart about it AND they also hire phenomenal coaching.

We don't have to cheat in order to win this awful conference. We just need a coach with a brain and who doesn't try and play 1984 WVu Nehlen footbal.

So, we were paying their college tuition fees as well? I'm not saying this isn't true, but I honestly have not heard that part.
That's actually me giving Marshall Reynolds/the Athletic Department the benefit of the doubt that the intent behind the payments was supposed to help with school expenses. The players were getting $25 an hour to work two 4-hour shifts a weekend (that supposedly they didn't need to show up for - depends on the fandom level of who you ask), which comes out to about $10,000 a year. Tuition at the time was only about $4,500 a year.

Of course, the thing with shadowy off-the-books programs like "Mops for Props" is that, absent a paper trail or other evidence, you have to rely on the word of those conducting the program as to where it ended. Additional benefits may have been conveyed to the participants.

Reactions: GreenDuke
I'm not saying it's right, but to think we were the only program doing that is insane. I posted the other day about Arkansas doing the very same thing.

And we still take NQ/Props today, likely more than in Pruetts tenure. Why did we win then and not now? I actually think the competition back then was better than it is now. At least back then, I recall MAC teams like Miami, Toledo, WMU and BG being ranked or getting votes during our stay there. Not so much now with CUSA.

I still maintain we severely lack player development with this staff. When the football rags and opposing coaches openly admit our overall personnel/ talent is usually the best in the league, the issue lies within the staff.

And we still take NQ/Props today, likely more than in Pruetts tenure.

During Pruett's tenure, we tried to average have about 20-25 of them on campus at any given time. After Mops for Props, the administration stepped in, and Mark Snyder only had a few each year during his tenure (Vinny Curry being perhaps the most significant), supposedly limited at their behest.

Doc Holliday tries to get as many as he can, but it is rarely that many, and that's not by choice - we would definitely prefer to have more. Obviously, rebooting Mops for Props would help that (especially now that it's about to become 100% legal in the NCAA), but perhaps a bigger factor that we can't do anything about is the rise of JUCOs as a feeder system for the P5 schools. They attract many of these athletes and make the pool smaller.

I'm not a big fan of the current coaching staff, but a lot has changed in college football in the last 20 years, and some of the conditions that favored us 20 years ago no longer exist.

UCF out recruited Georgia and Southern Cal for this kid......

Oh, stop it. The kid knew he wasn't good enough to play at either of those programs for at least three years.

Hell, the kid was committed to Army - a school that doesn't even throw the ball - before flipping to Mickey Mouse.

Georgia had/has a stud QB in front of him, Georgia still had (at the time) the top high school QB on their roster (Fields), and they had signed a much higher rated QB in his same class.

The kid knew his opportunity to play was about as likely as Doc Holliday winning Coach of the Year honors and had the mental aptitude lack of determination and confidence to fight for a job at a premier program.

Except the 2018 conference championship MVP would then be playing full time instead of as part of the 2 QB plan. UCF -20.

I see you're new here. Well, let me give you the dime tour:

About 95% will be more critical of our team's ability to win this game than you could ever hope to be. Most of us are sick of our incompetent head coach and want him gone, and only a select few tards on here think he's doing a good job.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, fvck off. We really have no smack to talk, other than Sam, our village idiot.

Oh, stop it. The kid knew he wasn't good enough to play at either of those programs for at least three years.

Hell, the kid was committed to Army - a school that doesn't even throw the ball - before flipping to Mickey Mouse.

Georgia had/has a stud QB in front of him, Georgia still had (at the time) the top high school QB on their roster (Fields), and they had signed a much higher rated QB in his same class.

The kid knew his opportunity to play was about as likely as Doc Holliday winning Coach of the Year honors and had the mental aptitude lack of determination and confidence to fight for a job at a premier program.

Hmmmm........perhaps the kid is not really that good?.....probably doesnt say much that he broke Tua's HS passing records as the all time leader in the state......

Hmmmm........perhaps the kid is not really that good?.....probably doesnt say much that he broke Tua's HS passing records as the all time leader in the state......

That's now what I am saying. I am just clarifying that UCF didn't really out recruit him from Georgia. The kid saw that he wasn't good enough to play there anytime soon compared with their superior talent.

During Pruett's tenure, we tried to average have about 20-25 of them on campus at any given time. After Mops for Props, the administration stepped in, and Mark Snyder only had a few each year during his tenure (Vinny Curry being perhaps the most significant), supposedly limited at their behest.

Doc Holliday tries to get as many as he can, but it is rarely that many, and that's not by choice - we would definitely prefer to have more. Obviously, rebooting Mops for Props would help that (especially now that it's about to become 100% legal in the NCAA), but perhaps a bigger factor that we can't do anything about is the rise of JUCOs as a feeder system for the P5 schools. They attract many of these athletes and make the pool smaller.

I'm not a big fan of the current coaching staff, but a lot has changed in college football in the last 20 years, and some of the conditions that favored us 20 years ago no longer exist.
we also had the ability to place them in the old Marshall jr college which was part of Marshall. That school has since been spun off

Reactions: herdalicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT