ADVERTISEMENT

UCF

C.K. Ocsevol-Evad

Silver Buffalo
Jul 7, 2010
UCF is paying their new DC $300,000 per year for his first two years. He also gets a $2.2 million buyout from his previous school.

Then, on his third year at UCF, his salary jumps to $1 million and gets a $300,000 retention bonus. His retention bonus will be more than most coordinators get in an annual salary at the G5 level.

The American is closer to a P5 than a G5.

UCF is paying their new DC $300,000 per year for his first two years. He also gets a $2.2 million buyout from his previous school.

Then, on his third year at UCF, his salary jumps to $1 million and gets a $300,000 retention bonus. His retention bonus will be more than most coordinators get in an annual salary at the G5 level.

You think the above situation it "typical" of American programs, C.K.? I think not.

Without making a study of all CUSA and American programs and the salaries paid all coaches, hard to say what comparisons can be made. What's the overall average salary for the coordinators at each school in each conference? Overall athletic budgets?

I imagine that ON AVERAGE AA schools salaries are higher than those in CUSA schools. In some cases, perhaps significantly, in other cases, not so much. One program, like UCF, who suddenly pays a significantly higher salary or salaries, can obviously skew the conference's average, I would think.

Nevertheless, bet AA overall salaries are still far, far behind those in all the power conferences.

Our ticket revenue and donations are on par with UCF. In other words, our fans do as much as their fans to help the program. Even our licensing revenue is comparable.

The difference between the programs is the extra $18 million they get in student fees above us. It's why I always say that the only hope for Marshall is to grow enrollment.

Oh, they are 46% subsidized. That's not exactly very "P5".

No it's not. Not even close. How does ucf lose their coach to a bottom of the pack Nebraska program?
Money. Everyone knows loyalty does not exist, so you need to fetch some cash to get your coach...and Frost was as loyal as the highest payer.

I will give the AAC credit that Aresco really believes in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy...like he could really convince people those two exist...since he believes in fictional elements like the AAC being a "P6 conference." Unlike our conference commish who basically reminds everyone she's the first female commish of a conference...
(No, really, that's all you get when you search her name...no moves as a commish, no words spoken about moving forward, it's literally just reminding everyone of her gender).
How can C-USA vote her out?

Reactions: ohio herd
Our ticket revenue and donations are on par with UCF. In other words, our fans do as much as their fans to help the program. Even our licensing revenue is comparable.

The difference between the programs is the extra $18 million they get in student fees above us. It's why I always say that the only hope for Marshall is to grow enrollment.

And that is why Dr. Gilbert is working tirelessly to increase enrollment. He personally visited 27 area high schools just before the holidays preaching his message. Bob Pruett made many visits with him.

No doubt they have a huge student enrollment and are located in a great city. I just don't see the P5 landscape increasing. I do not believe there is any reason for any of the current P5 conferences to expand. If they were to choose to expand I think that UCF would certainly be on the radar.

According to USA Today, the average coaches salary pool by league:

SEC $4.5M
ACC $3.6M
B10 $3.6M
B12 $3.3M
P12 $3.3M
AAC $1.9M
MWC $1.6M
CUSA $1.2M
Sunbelt $1.0M
MAC $900K

AAC is ahead of the rest of the G5 (barely over the MWC and a bit farther from the others), but it lags far, far behind the P5 leagues. It's not even close.

Add in head coaches and the disparity gets far worse.

No doubt they have a huge student enrollment and are located in a great city. I just don't see the P5 landscape increasing. I do not believe there is any reason for any of the current P5 conferences to expand. If they were to choose to expand I think that UCF would certainly be on the radar.

ucf failed to get recognition from the Big 12, which indicated they did not bring value. Yes, the Big 12 is mainly Texas and Oklahoma schools, but expanding so far east to the impossible wvu, made it seem they were open to anyone.

...aaaaaand nobody got in.

ucf is kind of stuck...the ACC has enough Florida schools and can still get more higher rated recruits. SEC, well, the same thing. The Big 12 has CA, Texas, and Oklahoma who are, almost as good as Florida. If they want someone from FL, they recruit them aggressively and individually.
ucf simply does not fit in with any of them, and while Orlando is a big market, all you have to do, is watch old clips of when ucf did host a FL P5 school, like Miami, and see how much green and orange was present.
Finally, politically, it's not going to happen. If ucf were 1 or 2, maybe 3 FL schools with D1, then, yeah, but they are 1 of...7?

Reactions: ohio herd
No it's not. Not even close. How does ucf lose their coach to a bottom of the pack Nebraska program?
Money. Everyone knows loyalty does not exist, so you need to fetch some cash to get your coach...and Frost was as loyal as the highest payer.

I will give the AAC credit that Aresco really believes in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy...like he could really convince people those two exist...since he believes in fictional elements like the AAC being a "P6 conference." Unlike our conference commish who basically reminds everyone she's the first female commish of a conference...
(No, really, that's all you get when you search her name...no moves as a commish, no words spoken about moving forward, it's literally just reminding everyone of her gender).
How can C-USA vote her out?

lol!

Sure- money. Or, it was the fact that Frost went to Nebraska, he was mentored by Tom Osbourne, his father played at Nebraska, and that his ailing father stated it was his biggest wish to see his son coaching Nebraska before he dies. Nah- just money!

Frost had offers from multiple schools that he turned down. That we know. On that list almost assuredly was Florida. Guess what? They surely threw big money at him.

I do like how you try to equate Nebraska to Illinois or something though.

I find the truest metric of whether a school is a P5 or a G5 is whether or not they are funded by people paying to see them play or wear their merch, or by compulsory student fees and institutional support.

In 2016, UCF received $19,916,617 from people willingly giving them money, and $26,838,366 from people who had no choice.

I have heard it all now, Nebraska a lowly program.........Might wanna research that and their history, they ruled the B12 through the 90s and most of the 2000s, they downslide a little when they fired Solich and Pelini was the only coach that did much with them since. They are far from lowly and used to be a giant.

Reactions: chuck1069
I have heard it all now, Nebraska a lowly program.........Might wanna research that and their history, they ruled the B12 through the 90s and most of the 2000s, they downslide a little when they fired Solich and Pelini was the only coach that did much with them since. They are far from lowly and used to be a giant.
Most rankings would put them in the Top 10 programs of all time.

UCF = America's largest university with an enrollment in excess of 55,000

Liberty, which recently sought entry into C-USA, is the 3rd largest.

Where in the hell did I say they were a lowly program?
By their standards, they are not as good as they want to be.

Also, this is the 2000's...the 90's are over and long gone. You keep referring to their successes with past tense. Why is that?

Also, this is the 2000's...the 90's are over and long gone. You keep referring to their successes with past tense. Why is that?

Sounds like Marshall fans can relate.

Also, this is the 2000's...the 90's are over and long gone.

Reactions: All4TheHerd

I've made one post regarding this, so how do I "keep" making any post lol. You referred to them as a lowly program, that money was the only reason frost left ucf. Hell, I remember watching him play for them. To state that was the only reason is asinine. You obviously wasn't old enough to see him play. As far as living in the past, thats what we seem to do, so why not.

I've made one post regarding this, so how do I "keep" making any post lol. You referred to them as a lowly program, that money was the only reason frost left ucf. Hell, I remember watching him play for them. To state that was the only reason is asinine. You obviously wasn't old enough to see him play. As far as living in the past, thats what we seem to do, so why not.

Your last sentence disqualifies you from saying anything further but since you don't see that, it was all about money for him, just like it was for everyone else who has left a stable program for a relatively unstable one by comparison.
His final comments on the G5 in general, were dd, why would he lobby for G5 inclusion when he is joining an entity that is 100% against it to begin with? Money.

Sounds like Marshall fans can relate.

Also, this is the 2000's...the 90's are over and long gone.

Impossible...the majority of people on here kiss their framed Chad/Moss/Pruett picture before they go to bed in their "#10 Go Herd!" pajamas every night. Wishing upon a star that they will somehow come back, ignoring fact, reason, or reality that they really won't in any more of a capacity than they are currently.

Impossible...the majority of people on here kiss their framed Chad/Moss/Pruett picture before they go to bed in their "#10 Go Herd!" pajamas every night. Wishing upon a star that they will somehow come back, ignoring fact, reason, or reality that they really won't in any more of a capacity than they are currently.
I was poking fun at our current run.

Marshall won't field a constant winner as long as the admin accepts the current mediocrity.

Your last sentence disqualifies you from saying anything further but since you don't see that, it was all about money for him, just like it was for everyone else who has left a stable program for a relatively unstable one by comparison.
His final comments on the G5 in general, were dd, why would he lobby for G5 inclusion when he is joining an entity that is 100% against it to begin with? Money.
I'm glad you talked to Scott and got things figured out lol. I can and will post when I get the notion. Money always plays a part in ones job, but you tend to ignore why he would choose Nebraska over any other P5. Oh I forgot, you talked with scott, my bad.

I’m from Omaha and followed the hire closely both as a fan and via conversations with the Nebraska Rivals publishers.

I promise you Scott Frost didn’t leave UCF for Nebraska because of money. Sure it helped but it was much, much more than a financial decision for him.

636464332466917123-AP-ORANGE-BOWL-686597.JPG

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
ADVERTISEMENT