ADVERTISEMENT

USFL is back

Lived in Jax when the USFL started. It was a great league, actually, and loads of fun.

Reactions: Jartard
All these new leagues will do is give my cable company an excuse to raise my bill because they added more things I won’t watch.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
USFL was in the 80s, Moved to Jax in the summer of 82, and I think the league started the next fall. Looks like he was the GM of the Bulls instead of a player, maybe started as the coach/GM. Here is a quote from an article "back in the day"

"Bullard brought in former Miami Dolphins stars Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick as part of a large marketing campaign to get the city excited for the Bulls. Georgia Bulldogs radio announcer Larry Munson was hired as the team’s play-by-play man." At one point, the Bulls averaged 70,000 attendance per home game; believe that was the second year, the year after we letf, but still rooted for them.

Some of you don't know about the World Football League. There were a number of rich owners involved and even signed Miami Dolphins players Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick and Paul Warfield and a number of other NFL players signed lucrative contracts.

One of the players in the league was former Herd QB Reggie Oliver shown below who played for the Jacksonville Sharks. "If we'd had 30 more seconds, I think we would have won the game," said coach Bud Asher, referring to the Oliver-to-Whittier pass as the final gun sounded. The coach praised his rookie quarterback Reggie Oliver, who directed the desperation march. The Sharks fell to 2-4.

07_02.jpg

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT