ADVERTISEMENT

Utah St QB in the xfer portal..

the fact that he is from Broward County I would imagine that he is friends with others on the Herd roster and most likely was recruited by this staff out of HS

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
the fact that he is from Broward County I would imagine that he is friends with others on the Herd roster and most likely was recruited by this staff out of HS

So.. he's from Broward Co. Population of 2 million. So he naturally knows others on the team; you know just for the fact of being from Broward Co. As well, he was recruited by DOC. Which he wasn't.

Makes Sense to me! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
Why is it people are always looking at kids from other schools to come here? But on signing day they say we got some good kids and players and I know his family etc. Come on people face it unless your a 2 star or not being recruited that much or bye FCS type schools Doc and the staff aren't putting in the work to go find and recruit what we truly need Lazyness is killing Marshall football like it or not.

Why is it people are always looking at kids from other schools to come here? But on signing day they say we got some good kids and players and I know his family etc. Come on people face it unless your a 2 star or not being recruited that much or bye FCS type schools Doc and the staff aren't putting in the work to go find and recruit what we truly need Lazyness is killing Marshall football like it or not.
would actually be a nice pickup because Wells does look like the future but do we have a back up that can get it done if Wells goes down?

Reactions: herd66
What makes you think he will go to MU?
Because we need an experienced QB after our returning 2 year starter got his ass kicked off the team. He would most likely have a great shot at winning the job, and unlike AT, he has had quality pt at the FBS level on a team with a solid reputation in the G5 world. Most teams, I would think, already have their starting QB’s inked on the 1st team depth chart. Doc, who sticks with his “guy” no matter what, just returned from Office Max with a bottle of white out.......oh soot - are they gon’ have to change their name too?? ;D)

Recruiting is about energy. To build a roster with depth its non-stop work and its about uncovering every prospect you can from every place you can. I know lots of schools have got involved with players in Europe, jucos transfers, high school, high level walkons, grad transfers. Work the phones!

So.. he's from Broward Co. Population of 2 million. So he naturally knows others on the team; you know just for the fact of being from Broward Co. As well, he was recruited by DOC. Which he wasn't.

Makes Sense to me! ;)
I can't imagine that a D1 kid that played at Chaminade in Ft Lauderdale wouldn't some have some sort of a connection to the Broward kids we have on the team.
I do not know that nor do I care. For that matter I don't care where he plays in 2020. I just think the chances are that there are some connections.

Reactions: Always The Herd
I'm with Herdmeister on this one, but I usually agree with his posts. We need a proven QB to challenge, and perhaps come out ahead, of Wells and the others. This kid might just be the ticket. Green leaving opens up a spot.

I can't imagine that a D1 kid that played at Chaminade in Ft Lauderdale wouldn't some have some sort of a connection to the Broward kids we have on the team.
I do not know that nor do I care. For that matter I don't care where he plays in 2020. I just think the chances are that there are some connections.

Small town thinking. I would be surprised if anyone actually knows him from the current roster.

Small town thinking. I would be surprised if anyone actually knows him from the current roster.
7-on-7 and camps gives lots of kids a chance to play to play with each other(and get to know them).

D-1 football circles tend to simultaneously cover more ground and still be tighter than you’d think, even in talent rich areas. The kids at that level often cross paths more than one might realize.

And Colombi has committed to play for the Red Raiders of Texas Tech. Let's go with the guys we have, hit a home run with our 2021 recruit, whomever that might be.

Want to share your findings? Didn't think so.

What does that have to do with anything?

Not that it matters now, but at least one of our current players follows him on Twitter. They’re the same age.

As far as his Dad goes, he’s followed by every recruiting coordinator we’ve had since 2010. Again, football circles are small, even in large areas. With camps, social media, etc., everyone is connected these days.

Does the eastern panhandle have any qb guys we can recruit?
When Tyson Bagent dropped a 40 yard pass into a trash can (like jarrett Doege from WVU did on social media and got called next level throwing) last week on twitter I understand a phone call was made by someone from Florida asking if he was going to be getting in the portal? But, Im sure Doc would still pass again.

Reactions: 5150
Does the eastern panhandle have any qb guys we can recruit?
757p.gif

When Tyson Bagent dropped a 40 yard pass into a trash can (like jarrett Doege from WVU did on social media and got called next level throwing) last week on twitter I understand a phone call was made by someone from Florida asking if he was going to be getting in the portal? But, Im sure Doc would still pass again.

Jesus......

Just drop it dude. Why do you come here? Seriously? I honestly don’t understand it.

Jesus......

Just drop it dude. Why do you come here? Seriously? I honestly don’t understand it.
agreed. Believe me, I am not a fan of Doc, but he makes recruiting decisions like his job and his assistants jobs depend on it. I'm sue he doesn't care what you or I think. He has a job to do, just like we do and he does it the best he knows how.

Ditto, Herdmeister. Also believe that Doc is still one of the better recruiters in the country. But have to agree with other posters who say he does not develop some of the top recruits once they arrive. I think MU would benefit from new blood at head coach position. But Doc does seem very sincere in his love for Marshall and has done his best to win here.

Makes Sense to me! ;)
All 2 million people in the county don't play football.

Players in the same school system usually encounter one another at some point.

Reactions: Herdmeister
The question is why is it? Who's at fault?

Does coach want to enlighten us?

The coaches recruit for, develop, and implement a system. Looks like it's on the coaches and Doc gives the final OK in all. Hell, I would throw it out there that Cato knew the system and how to implement it better than our HC.

Reactions: Elkview
The coaches recruit for, develop, and implement a system.
IMO that's been our problem, that it looks like we don't do that - we go get the best athletes we can find, and then we try to invent something that matches their talents. It's happened across two coordinators at this point, so I'm stuck guessing that's the over-arching philosophy.

Last season, we were lining up (and passing!) in 3 TE sets constantly. Made my insides want to get on the outside. That was the mind-f--- of 2016 - that two years after a conference title, with the same staff, we were rebuilding from scratch because [UNDISCLOSED OFF-THE-FIELD ISSUES]. I lost all trust in the staff to not just have the bottom fall out on it repeatedly.

Three TE sets is what you do as a rookie coach with an inherited team, just trying to get 11 people on the field. It's not something a coach in year 10 should be stuck having to do.

IMO that's been our problem, that it looks like we don't do that - we go get the best athletes we can find, and then we try to invent something that matches their talents. It's happened across two coordinators at this point, so I'm stuck guessing that's the over-arching philosophy.

Last season, we were lining up (and passing!) in 3 TE sets constantly. Made my insides want to get on the outside. That was the mind-f--- of 2016 - that two years after a conference title, with the same staff, we were rebuilding from scratch because [UNDISCLOSED OFF-THE-FIELD ISSUES]. I lost all trust in the staff to not just have the bottom fall out on it repeatedly.

Three TE sets is what you do as a rookie coach with an inherited team, just trying to get 11 people on the field. It's not something a coach in year 10 should be stuck having to do.

While I understand what you’re saying, those three TE sets proved to be the most effective that we had last year.

I, for one, appreciated the out of the box creativity to cover for the issues at WR (which you are correct in alluding to as their own set of problems).

How many teams throw multiple 50 yard TD passes to 255 lbs TE who lines up at WR?

I’m sorry that blew your mind last year. Not sure much could have been done differently at the time it was done in that regard.

https://247sports.com/Player/Henry-Colombi-80412/TimelineEvents/

Nope, no Marshall. Maybe you guys should stick to stories about DD and windmill dunks.
https://247sports.com/Player/Henry-Colombi-80412/TimelineEvents/

Nope, no Marshall. Maybe you guys should stick to stories about DD and windmill dunks.

Correct, Marshall did not recruit him in 2016 to my knowledge. The name didn’t ring a bell. You’re mixing a lot of different thoughts here, though. There’s no mention of the schools that contacted him following his announcement that he was leaving Utah State.

I find it more than coincidence that much of Marshall’s staff was following him on Twitter when he announced he would go to Texas Tech.

They don’t just follow anyone. Especially multiple coaches. Tells me they probably made a go for it but the QB obviously had the Big 12 offer in his pocket, which he would not turn down for us.

As far as his Dad goes, he’s followed by every recruiting coordinator we’ve had since 2010. Again, football circles are small, even in large areas. With camps, social media, etc., everyone is connected these days.

You’re mixing a lot of different thoughts here, though. There’s no mention of the schools that contacted him following his announcement that he was leaving Utah State.

You confuse easily.

I find it more than coincidence that much of Marshall’s staff was following him on Twitter when he announced he would go to Texas Tech.

Wait according to ab earlier post you stated we was following him since 2010. Which is it? After announced to T.Tech or 2010. You are confused.

They don’t just follow anyone. Especially multiple coaches. Tells me they probably made a go for it but the QB obviously had the Big 12 offer in his pocket, which he would not turn down for us.

Maybe the staff was not interested. T.Tech already has a starting QB Bowman, probably not going to lose the job. They also have one of the top incoming freshman QB in the nation Wells. Colombi is going to have tough time cracking that lineup. Doubt he would give up a starting job here for that. Although, I don't think it's really known why he left Utah St.

You confuse easily.

Wait according to ab earlier post you stated we was following him since 2010. Which is it? After announced to T.Tech or 2010. You are confused.

Maybe the staff was not interested. T.Tech already has a starting QB Bowman, probably not going to lose the job. They also have one of the top incoming freshman QB in the nation Wells. Colombi is going to have tough time cracking that lineup. Doubt he would give up a starting job here for that. Although, I don't think it's really known why he left Utah St.

You mis-read my comment about his Dad, and after re-reading I see why. Allow me to clarify: every recruiting coordinator we’ve had since 2010 follows his Dad. Basically I’m going back through Hartley and Seider. Again, his dad is a football coach in a prospect-rich area. That’s why they follow him. I don’t know when they started following the Dad but that’s who I was talking about here. Not the kid. The Dad.

As far as the son goes, he is currently followed by several members of our current staff. I’m presuming that came about after he chose to leave Utah State.

I’m sure we reached out once he went into the portal, and he chose Texas Tech for whatever reason. So it goes in recruiting. You never really know a kid’s motive. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes it isn’t.

How many teams throw multiple 50 yard TD passes to 255 lbs TE who lines up at WR?

Totally understand where you're coming from, but I'd like to offer a counterpoint:

Armani Levias - 46 Catches, 553 yards, 3 TDs

Willie Johnson - 13 Catches, 349 yards, 4 TDs

There's really no substitute for having a smaller, fast guy lining up at WR. I know we've convinced ourselves that all of the wideouts are terrible, but when you look at Johnson's production (versus his anemic number of touches), you have to wonder if the three-TE strategy wasn't something the staff had to come up with for Green, as opposed to a failing among the WR corps.

But who knows - there's no press covering Marshall anymore, and the AD is mum on pretty much any subject except the weather, leaving us to rhetorical debates like this.

to cover for the issues at WR (which you are correct in alluding to as their own set of problems).

I'm sticking around to see how many of the people who argued with me about Dallas Baker's hiring will come into this thread to apologize.

You simply don't hire a guy whose top coaching feats included beating University of God's Chosen, Union College (Kentucky), and Point University.

I'm sticking around to see how many of the people who argued with me about Dallas Baker's hiring will come into this thread to apologize.

You simply don't hire a guy whose top coaching feats included beating University of God's Chosen, Union College (Kentucky), and Point University.
Should've hired you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT