ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA

HerdFan1971

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2010
Charleston, WV
Weather shouldn't be an issue this weekend in the Alamo Dome, right? Has Marshall ever played in the Alamo Dome?

UTSA has a fantastic defense, I cannot wait to see what our offense has in store to take it to the Roadrunners!

GO HERD!

Umm, despite that Super D and super wonder QB, the first year program down at UAB had no problems winning at the Alamo Bowl.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It’s a road game in Texas Aginst probably one of the better teams sooooo let’s be realistic......

We are 1 and 10 since 2004 In the state of Texas and did not play in Texas in 2014-2015,

WOW 1 and 10 sad sad........

Last edited:
Weather shouldn't be an issue this weekend in the Alamo Dome, right? Has Marshall ever played in the Alamo Dome?

UTSA has a fantastic defense, I cannot wait to see what our offense has in store to take it to the Roadrunners!

GO HERD!
No, we have never played UTSA on the road. The one game we had with them a few years ago was in Huntington.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
the first year program down at UAB
It's worth noting though that UAB has been the beneficiary of the NCAA's good graces in letting them over-sign their first two recruiting classes so they could rebuild their roster. They're decent this year, and will be really good next year, but then they're probably back to being UAB for good after that.

1st&10 - run up the middle
2nd&10 - run up the middle
3rd&9 - two step drop with a two yard out
4th&8 - Punt
This is completely inaccurate, and frankly I think its offensive to the coaching staff's sensibilities to insinuate they would construct a series like this. It's really...

1st and 10 - two yard out to the near side of the field, past the hash mark
2nd and 9 - Toss/Sweep/Off-Tackle run to the short side of the field from the near hash for three yard loss
3rd and 12 - Overthrown pass to the wide side of the field/tip/pick
4th and 12 (if necessary) - Punt

Has Marshall ever played in the Alamo Dome?

I don't think we have. We have played indoor bowl games (St. Pete, Pontiac, and Detroit) and the 1987 I-AA Final (Pocatello, ID) but IIRC this is the first indoor regular season game since our Southern Conference days playing at ETSU, which used to play in this weird building they called "the mini-dome" but which was really more like a really big airplane hanger. A brief shot of our crowd at that game appears at the end of the movie.

This is completely inaccurate, and frankly I think its offensive to the coaching staff's sensibilities to insinuate they would construct a series like this. It's really...

1st and 10 - two yard out to the near side of the field, past the hash mark
2nd and 9 - Toss/Sweep/Off-Tackle run to the short side of the field from the near hash for three yard loss
3rd and 12 - Overthrown pass to the wide side of the field/tip/pick
4th and 12 (if necessary) - Punt

They do always seem to go to the short side

Sturm's play is
Yeah, that's not so much a predictability issue as just something I would never do on Madden.
Opposing DC's pick up on out tendency to run to the short side of the field and use the sideline as extra help in stopping our run...like a DE turning a runner back to the inside where the troops can swarm him. :cool:

To answer someone's question, this is our first game AT UTSA and the Alamo Bowl. Actually, this is a "return" game since the Roadrunners played us in the regular season a couple of years ago or so in Huntington. Just like last year's Herd game at NTSU was a return game there. Don't expect UTSA on next season's Herd schedule.

In reality, we've NEVER played LA Tech during the regular season since joining CUSA. I expect a series with the Tech folks to start in 2018. Other crossover opponent will probably come from UAB, Rice or UTEP as we are finishing up a home and home with Southern Miss on November 25 in the Joan.

To answer someone's question, this is our first game AT UTSA and the Alamo Bowl. Actually, this is a "return" game since the Roadrunners played us in the regular season a couple of years ago or so in Huntington. Just like last year's Herd game at NTSU was a return game there. Don't expect UTSA on next season's Herd schedule.

In reality, we've NEVER played LA Tech during the regular season since joining CUSA. I expect a series with the Tech folks to start in 2018. Other crossover opponent will probably come from UAB, Rice or UTEP as we are finishing up a home and home with Southern Miss on November 25 in the Joan.
Correct. we have completed the UNT series last year. I too, would assume that La Tech would come into play. I'm looking forward to that series. I'd also like to get UREP again before they become good again. They will be getting a new coach next year, possibly Art Briles. He will make them good fast. Hope we can play in El Paso next year before he gets the upgraded too much. Also for personal reasons, I love that trip to El Paso. Been there 2 times for football and 2 for basketball. I've loved every trip.

He's very good.

Have you gotten a chance to watch Fine from UNT? Pretty amazing numbers from such a little dude.

I haven't watched Mason much. I know that system will make a decent quarterback look very good. Oddly, Fine's freshman season coupled with a really bad spring had North Texas looking for a grad transfer QB for next season.

Actually Brent Stockstill and Mike White sure better passing QB's than Sturm, but Sturm is very mobile and not too great of a passer. He doesn't have good receivers and their OL is considered to be weak.

Big challenge for our D to shut down his running.

Sturm is the best QB in the conference. He throws the ball 15 times less per game than White. His system isn't the same as White's. He won't have the same numbers because of those things. Want proof?

As a freshman at USF, White completed 53% of his passes with 3 TDs and 9 INTs. As a sophomore at USF, White completed 50% of his passes with 8 TDs and 7 INTs. Combined in his first two years he completed 51% of his passes for 11 TDs/16 INTs.

As a junior, after transferring to a new system, he completed 67% of his passes for 37 TDs/7 INTs. Now that the coach in charge of that offense is gone, his numbers have drastically dropped. So, are White's numbers due to him being a superior passer or are his awful first two years, a great third year, and a drop in his fourth year due to the system/coaches changing every single one of those big jumps/declines? It's quite obvious the latter.

Claiming that Sturm isn't "too great of a passer" is foolish.

Dalton Sturm is the best QB in the conference.
I understand that the above is your opinion, but what stats do you have to back that up? Roadrunners are 5-4 with the @ UH game cancelled due
to Harvey.
Dalton Sturm is the best QB in the conference.
UTSA -s 5-4. Their marque win is over..........Baylor? Sorry, I'll need to hear a bit more about Sturm before anointing him P.O.Y.

Reactions: ohio herd
Roadrunners share this trait w/us as well: They are having trouble scoring points. Last 6 games: 29 /26 / 20 / 31 / 7 / 19. THAT averages to 22ppg. Our defense may not be top shelf, but has proven itself to be the most reliable of the 3 units.

I haven't watched Mason much. I know that system will make a decent quarterback look very good. Oddly, Fine's freshman season coupled with a really bad spring had North Texas looking for a grad transfer QB for next season.

Sturm is the best QB in the conference. He throws the ball 15 times less per game than White. His system isn't the same as White's. He won't have the same numbers because of those things. Want proof?

As a freshman at USF, White completed 53% of his passes with 3 TDs and 9 INTs. As a sophomore at USF, White completed 50% of his passes with 8 TDs and 7 INTs. Combined in his first two years he completed 51% of his passes for 11 TDs/16 INTs.

As a junior, after transferring to a new system, he completed 67% of his passes for 37 TDs/7 INTs. Now that the coach in charge of that offense is gone, his numbers have drastically dropped. So, are White's numbers due to him being a superior passer or are his awful first two years, a great third year, and a drop in his fourth year due to the system/coaches changing every single one of those big jumps/declines? It's quite obvious the latter.

Claiming that Sturm isn't "too great of a passer" is foolish.
I think we'll see him to be a hot-&-cold streaky passer. He'll make some good throws, but he also has a tendency to have nervous feet and come out of the pocket too early. He'll match Litton on overthrows.

The Roadrunners also hope to get back their OL that they say is the glue that holds their OL together and his play raises the level of play of other linemen... C Juan Perez Isidoro.

I understand that the above is your opinion, but what stats do you have to back that up? Roadrunners are 5-4 with the @ UH game cancelled due
to Harvey.

You're asking me to do exactly what I argued against. Looking at just stats doesn't give the real picture. I will go over this again.

Mike White had abysmal seasons as both a freshman and sophomore. He was a really bad FBS QB. Suddenly, he became a great FBS quarterback when he transferred to Western Kentucky. Do you think he miraculously went from an awful QB to a great QB in one year due to his ability improving or was it because he went into a new system with a new coach? I think most sane people would agree with the latter. Then, when he had a new coach/system as a senior, he saw a big drop in production. Did he become a worse QB this year or was it due to a new coach/system? Exactly.

That's why you can't just look at stats to determine who the best QB is. A system/coach can make an average QB look really good or a really good QB look average.

But lets play your game and look at stats:

QB Rating:
White: 135.4
Sturm: 143.3

TD/INT
White: 17/7
Sturm: 15/3

Attempts per game:
White: 42
Sturm: 27

Passing Yards Per Game:
White: 298
Sturm: 203

Average Per Attempt:
White: 7.1
Sturm: 7.5

In other words, if Sturm threw the ball 15 more times each game to match how often White throws it, Sturm would throw for 316 yards compared with White's 298 yards.

Rushing:
White: -14/game
Sturm: 55/game

That is a 69 yard difference per game in rushing. Suddenly, that 95 yard/game White advantage is now down to 26 yards, even though White throws it 15 times more per game.

So, stats show Sturm to have a better QB rating, a better TD/INT ratio, a better average per attempt, a much better runner . . . stats show that White throws for more yards per game, but simply because he throws it a lot more per game.

My comment that Sturm was the best QB in the league wasn't based on statistics even though numbers show Sturm to be better.

The best part of your post was attempting to bash Sturm based on UTSA's best win being against Baylor. Want to see who WKU's best win is? I'll let you pick between FCS Eastern Kentucky (3-7 with 0 FBS wins), Ball State (1 FBS win), UTEP (0 FBS wins), Charlotte (1 FBS win), or Old Dominion (3 FBS wins). WKU's 5 wins come against teams that have 5 FBS wins cumulatively. I'm not sure they are in a position to comment on quality wins.

Smock’s prediction is 20-7 UTSA. That’s a good sign for us. He picked us to lose to Miami, Cincy, and WKU but picked us to beat FIU and FAU.

Not rocket science, but if we win the turnover battle and can have a decent running game we should win. Easier said than done in the past few weeks.

You gotta love it when everyone brings up the Herd's record in Texas. We somehow managed to get in our own heads and psyched ourselves out. Our opponents must love that.

How many games did Marshall lose at Furman and The Citadel back in the SoCon days? Did anyone bring it up every time Marshall traveled south?

Reactions: ohio herd
You gotta love it when everyone brings up the Herd's record in Texas. We somehow managed to get in our own heads and psyched ourselves out. Our opponents must love that.

How many games did Marshall lose at Furman and The Citadel back in the SoCon days? Did anyone bring it up every time Marshall traveled south?
Good thing we didn't have social media in those days. The folks on here would have told us we couldn't win in SC.

YAGS - Good follow-up to my ? I guess I don't think that UTSA has come up against as good a defense this year as what we will have on the field Sat. That, more than anything, will determine his effectiveness vs the Herd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT