ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech announces ACC decision...

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL

ACC Announces Plans for Football and Fall Olympic Sports

The ACC Board of Directors announced that if public health guidance allows, competition for football will begin the week of Sept. 7-12 and on Thursday, Sept. 10for Olympic Sports competition.

The 2020 scheduling model for football includes 11 games (10 plus one: 10 conference and one non-conference) with the week-by-week schedule and television selections will be released in the future.

Virginia Tech Athletics Statement

We support the ACC’s decision to proceed with a planned 10+1 model for the 2020 football season, as well as the plan for other fall sports. We will continue to follow standards established by the State of Virginia, Virginia Tech and Montgomery County public health officials as we continue our preparations.

Sooooo....who thinks Pitt wants to come to Htgn?

One problem. The plan requires the OOC game selected must be played in the state where the member school resides. Plus the opponent must meet all medical guidelines set by the ACC.

One problem. The plan requires the OOC game selected must be played in the state where the member school resides. Plus the opponent must meet all medical guidelines set by the ACC.

Pitt game won’t happen. Next big question is how about the Boise game?

Pitt's 2020 OoC games were Home vs Little Miami, @Marshall, and Home vs Richmond which has been postponed. However that really doesn't matter anyways. According to the new ACC scheduling plan each ACC team can have on Ooc game. Even if the "same state" clause wasn't in there I would guarantee you that if they had to choose between currently scheduled OoC games they would choose Little Miami because it's a home game.

I still want to know why the G5s are being so quiet. We have heard from all P5 conferences save for the BigXII and even some of the FCS.

Interesting note to consider is now with the move by the ACC and the B1G to play conference opponents only WVU now has lost two of it's OoC games.

Pitt's 2020 OoC games were Home vs Little Miami, @Marshall, and Home vs Richmond which has been postponed. However that really doesn't matter anyways. According to the new ACC scheduling plan each ACC team can have on Ooc game. Even if the "same state" clause wasn't in there I would guarantee you that if they had to choose between currently scheduled OoC games they would choose Little Miami because it's a home game.

I still want to know why the G5s are being so quiet. We have heard from all P5 conferences save for the BigXII and even some of the FCS.

Interesting note to consider is now with the move by the ACC and the B1G to play conference opponents only WVU now has lost two of it's OoC games.
G5 is quiet because it makes no difference what so ever how they decided to proceed.

My boss is big time University of Georgia booster/season ticket holder... For what it's worth, he said he believes the SEC is going to also go with "the ACC plan" and play 10 conference games (5 home, 5 away) and 1 home non-conference game, beginning Sept. 12.

Basically, it buys them two more weeks to see how things are looking and if they need to they can cancel the non-conference game and start on Sept. 19.

The G5 is at the mercy of whatever the P5 does, so with that being the case, I would expect that as soon as the SEC makes its announcement a lot of the G5 leagues will come out with their plans to play a 10-game conference only schedule (ala Big10, Pac12).

Reactions: Herdmeister
My boss is big time University of Georgia booster/season ticket holder... For what it's worth, he said he believes the SEC is going to also go with "the ACC plan" and play 10 conference games (5 home, 5 away) and 1 home non-conference game, beginning Sept. 12.

Basically, it buys them two more weeks to see how things are looking and if they need to they can cancel the non-conference game and start on Sept. 19.

The G5 is at the mercy of whatever the P5 does, so with that being the case, I would expect that as soon as the SEC makes its announcement a lot of the G5 leagues will come out with their plans to play a 10-game conference only schedule (ala Big10, Pac12).
very possible. Just add one more home and one more away game from the other division and you're all set

We may not like it but G5s simply can’t come out with any plans until we know for sure what every P5 is doing.

Boy if this isn't the perfect example of G5's over-arching problem - it exists in a state of non-existence, suspended between FCS schools who'd rather lay low and hold down their costs, and P5 schools with blank checkbooks from their state legislatures who spend themselves stupid playing sports. G5 has no agency, even in a normal year, and that has been really apparent in this situation.

The truth is, we're a collection of schools that are far more similar to the lower division than the higher, but who strive for semantic inclusion with the upper division they don't really belong in, and are likewise trapped in a state of never-ending desperation.

Boy if this isn't the perfect example of G5's over-arching problem - it exists in a state of non-existence, suspended between FCS schools who'd rather lay low and hold down their costs, and P5 schools with blank checkbooks from their state legislatures who spend themselves stupid playing sports. G5 has no agency, even in a normal year, and that has been really apparent in this situation.

The truth is, we're a collection of schools that are far more similar to the lower division than the higher, but who strive for semantic inclusion with the upper division they don't really belong in, and are likewise trapped in a state of never-ending desperation.
I think there are three distinct divisions, P5, G5 and the FCS. There are a few FCS teams that are "more like" G5, the rest should be retired to D11; entry into FCS has gotten too easy as G5 conferences developed over the last two decades.

Sports Illustrated is reporting the SEC is going with 10 conference games only.

That means no Texas at LSU, Baylor vs. Ole Miss, Tennessee at Oklahoma, and Vanderbilt at K-State. That also would mean all of the SEC's intrastate rivalry games against the ACC wouldn't happen - Kentucky vs. Lousiville, Clemson vs. South Carolina, Florida vs. Florida State and Georgia vs. Georgia Tech.

That means no Texas at LSU, Baylor vs. Ole Miss, Tennessee at Oklahoma, and Vanderbilt at K-State. That also would mean all of the SEC's intrastate rivalry games against the ACC wouldn't happen - Kentucky vs. Lousiville, Clemson vs. South Carolina, Florida vs. Florida State and Georgia vs. Georgia Tech.
Clemson-South Carolina is still on for the moment. This scheduling is getting crazy. Wofford(which is in South Carolina) will not be playing at South Carolina this season due to COVID. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wl...atus/101-722cc50f-32cb-4812-8850-735e9cfaabe3

entry into FCS has gotten too easy as G5 conferences developed over the last two decades.

I'm assuming you mean FBS here, and I think you're spot-on. The NCAA's live attendance requirement was supposed to be a barrier, but in reality its not audited, and schools are able to just send in whatever numbers they want to. FIU and FAU, for example, wouldn't have lasted three years without having to be relegated back to FCS, were the rule enforced.

G5 spans a whole lot of different institutions, some with more money than others, so I'll admit it's probably more of a spectrum than I give it credit for. I still kind of think of college athletics as being two levels though: schools with those blank state funding checkbooks and those without. For the exception of a few private schools with the internal resources (see: Dame, Notre) to swim in these waters, that seems to me to be the common shared characteristic of P5 schools.

I'm assuming you mean FBS here, and I think you're spot-on. The NCAA's live attendance requirement was supposed to be a barrier, but in reality its not audited, and schools are able to just send in whatever numbers they want to. FIU and FAU, for example, wouldn't have lasted three years without having to be relegated back to FCS, were the rule enforced.

G5 spans a whole lot of different institutions, some with more money than others, so I'll admit it's probably more of a spectrum than I give it credit for. I still kind of think of college athletics as being two levels though: schools with those blank state funding checkbooks and those without. For the exception of a few private schools with the internal resources (see: Dame, Notre) to swim in these waters, that seems to me to be the common shared characteristic of P5 schools.
Actually if the 15,000 attendance criteria been e forced, over 50% of CUSA, MAC and SBC sould be gone

I'm not the guy who knows all the ins-and-outs of CFB contracts. But if Marshall, for example, waits until the ACC officially drops the Pitt/UM match-up, then is Pitt still on the hook for the payout? Whereas if CUSA comes out with restrictions on their members' seasons, it might release Pitt from their monetary obligation? Just wondering. It would explain why the G5 has been so quiet to this point.

Last edited:
I'm not the guy who knows how all the ins-and-outs of CFB contracts. But if Marshall, for example, waits until the ACC officially drops the Pitt/UM match-up, then is Pitt still on the hook for the payout? Whereas if CUSA comes out with restrictions on their members' seasons, it might release Pitt from their monetary obligation? Just wondering. It would explain why the G5 has been so quiet to this point.
Yes.

I have an associate in GA that deals with some of the colleges and universities in GA. Odd thing is some GA colleges are not going back on campus in the fall. Some are. University of GA is going back(I believe GA Southern is as well, but GA State is not). He has some contacts in the schools and some folks at UGA told him they were playing football(the UGA Bulldogs )and there was no question they were playing some sort of schedule.

Take if for what it is worth but they told him the SEC was playing football in some form or fashion.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
No... Conferences and schools will enact the "Act of God clause" that is built into every contract... COVID-19 was an unforeseen act of God, thus they do not have to pay out for any games that are cancelled... We could fight with Pitt about it, go to court, maybe even get a settlement, but we won't and neither will anyone else.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...ntees-or-buyouts-for-canceled-sporting-events
Want to bet? They can’t invoke the Act of God clause and then play 10+ games. That’s not how it works

Now, if the entire season is canceled, sure. We won’t get a payout and neither will anyone else.

Want to bet? They can’t invoke the Act of God clause and then play 10+ games. That’s not how it works.

Im in... The next time we can tailgate, I will put a 6-pack of your choice up that we never see a dime from Pitt.

They will say that the virus "forced an unforeseeable schedule alteration that eliminated non-conference games" and that will be the end of it... Can you imagine if every broken contract this season ended up in court?... Pitt will agree to play sometime down the road (2025 would make sense) and there will be a handshake and all will be forgiven.

Im in... The next time we can tailgate, I will put a 6-pack of your choice up that we never see a dime from Pitt.

They will say that the virus "forced an unforeseeable schedule alteration that eliminated non-conference games" and that will be the end of it... Can you imagine if every broken contract this season ended up in court?... Pitt will agree to play sometime down the road (2025 would make sense) and there will be a handshake and all will be forgiven.
Love it.

And yes I agree with you that there will be lots of handshakes between schools. If Pitt promises to come back another year I’m sure we’d agree to it.

Can we pick a game at U
Love it.

And yes I agree with you that there will be lots of handshakes between schools. If Pitt promises to come back another year I’m sure we’d agree to it.

Seems to me it would be cheaper for Pitt to come here in the next few years (when the schedule allows) than pay us 1Mil. Jmho

Herdmeister, any chance C-USA would simply play a full schedule just amongst all conference teams? Or, perhaps partner with the Sunbelt to come up with non-conference games, attempting to play somewhat close teams, like the Herd vs Appalachian, Coastal Carolina, and one of the Georgia teams?

Something to think about with regard to Pitt: by playing the game in Pittsburgh, they've already gotten what they wanted from the series. The return visit to Huntington was to be our compensation for making that trip, and if they have to pay us $1 million to make that obligation go away, I would bet they'll just cut us a check.

For the exception of the 2014 Louisville game that was moved to 2016, I can't think of a single instance of a P5 having a game with Marshall get cancelled by circumstance, and then was later rescheduled. Usually, they just write us a check and tell us to scram.

Herdmeister, any chance C-USA would simply play a full schedule just amongst all conference teams? Or, perhaps partner with the Sunbelt to come up with non-conference games, attempting to play somewhat close teams, like the Herd vs Appalachian, Coastal Carolina, and one of the Georgia teams?
They just announced today an 8 game conference schedule and then up to 4 OOC games. They can also play more conference games to count as OOC games if they want

You need some anti-depressants.

Something to think about with regard to Pitt: by playing the game in Pittsburgh, they've already gotten what they wanted from the series. The return visit to Huntington was to be our compensation for making that trip, and if they have to pay us $1 million to make that obligation go away, I would bet they'll just cut us a check.

For the exception of the 2014 Louisville game that was moved to 2016, I can't think of a single instance of a P5 having a game with Marshall get cancelled by circumstance, and then was later rescheduled. Usually, they just write us a check and tell us to scram.

Funny you mention that because the checkbooks aren't exactly going to stay blank. P5's spend like they have no end, but now they do.

Hamrick has had, with his history of serving as Athletic(s) Director at 4 different schools, a lot of experience scheduling games, dealing with other schools, compromising and making deals when it comes to collegiate sports. Thus, I am sure he will be accommodating with his counterpart at Pitt and strive to reach a mutually satisfying decision. Hopefully, Mike will point out the relative close, and thus inexpensive, travel distance between Huntington and Pittsburgh. Also, I hope he throws out the possibility, and willingness on MU's part, of another home and home deal with the Panthers later in this decade, in addition to a make up game in a few years in Huntington. Maybe throw in a possible deal for some basketball games, perhaps a home and home, with Pitt too. Hamrick needs to point out how the Herd has been willing to play other ACC foes, and found many of that League's schools receptive and positive to MU as a good OOC foe (e.g., Louisville, VA Tech, NC State, even Clemson to an extent, in the past).

Hamrick has had, with his history of serving as Athletic(s) Director at 4 different schools, a lot of experience scheduling games, dealing with other schools, compromising and making deals when it comes to collegiate sports. Thus, I am sure he will be accommodating with his counterpart at Pitt and strive to reach a mutually satisfying decision. Hopefully, Mike will point out the relative close, and thus inexpensive, travel distance between Huntington and Pittsburgh. Also, I hope he throws out the possibility, and willingness on MU's part, of another home and home deal with the Panthers later in this decade, in addition to a make up game in a few years in Huntington. Maybe throw in a possible deal for some basketball games, perhaps a home and home, with Pitt too. Hamrick needs to point out how the Herd has been willing to play other ACC foes, and found many of that League's schools receptive and positive to MU as a good OOC foe (e.g., Louisville, VA Tech, NC State, even Clemson to an extent, in the past).

Can't deny MH can schedule. He's given MU plenty of P5's over his tenure.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Can't deny MH can schedule. He's given MU plenty of P5's over his tenure.
Agreed GHMY. Hammy may have quite the buffet of potential opponents for that 09/12 open date, assuming Pitt keeps their home game with little Miami vs traveling to play us in the Joan....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT