ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova Coach Suddenly Retires

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
“In a shocking decision that will reverberate around college sports, longtime Villanova men's basketball coach Jay Wright, 60, has decided to retire after 21 years of leading the Wildcats, the coach announced Wednesday evening. Wright, who led Villanova to a pair of national championships, called an impromptu meeting with his team to share the news of his retirement.” At the age of 60! Not that this probably means anything.

He is as good of a coach as there is in college basketball... Maybe the best compliment I can give him is that I have never watched a Villanova game and thought "they're just going through the motions." His teams always appeared well prepared and motivated/focused.

After 21 years he deserves to enjoy his retirement. I'm guessing he will take a year off, maybe get into broadcasting or something less stressful, and live the good life. Can't blame a guy for that.

I'm surprised more coaches don't retire at an earlier age. Some are even coaching into their 70s, mid to late 70s. Would be one thing if they were successful, but I'm seeing a few coaches that should have retired, or maybe never got into coaching in the first place, continue to coach at a rather late age.

Not just coaches, but any jackpot pay job. Everybody expects athletes and actors and the like to just work until they physically cannot anymore. And, not that long ago, they all did, because the pay was not outrageous like today.

We will still see that, but look at cases like Ashleigh Barty. #1 women’s tennis player. 25. She has won $25M and got yet more millions from endorsements. More money than she can ever spend.

Not everybody is like Tom Brady. We are going to see players and coaches who still have lots of tread left on the tires just cash out.

Wish DD would.

Not just coaches, but any jackpot pay job. Everybody expects athletes and actors and the like to just work until they physically cannot anymore. And, not that long ago, they all did, because the pay was not outrageous like today.

We will still see that, but look at cases like Ashleigh Barty. #1 women’s tennis player. 25. She has won $25M and got yet more millions from endorsements. More money than she can ever spend.

Not everybody is like Tom Brady. We are going to see players and coaches who still have lots of tread left on the tires just cash out.

Wish DD would.
Agreed... I think the trend of guys retiring in their prime here. Especially now that they can make money while in college.

Luke Kuechley, Andrew Luck, etc won't be the exception, they will become the norm... Barry Sanders was once asked if regretted retiring in his prime at age 30 coming off an All-Pro season (from a pathetic Lions organization). His answer was, no, after you have a nice house, a nice car, and $15 million in the bank, you care a lot less about getting beat up for the next $5 million.

We are going to see players and coaches who still have lots of tread left on the tires just cash out.

Wish DD would.
I guess the real question would have to be, why would DD retire? If I were able to do my job, and the boss/administration had low expectations, and really didn't care if I worked or not, I'd just hang around for a few more years.

I guess the real question would have to be, why would DD retire? If I were able to do my job, and the boss/administration had low expectations, and really didn't care if I worked or not, I'd just hang around for a few more years.
If the boss/administration had low expectations. Let’s hope not.

Wish DD would.

The type of people who have the kind of work ethic and drive needed to reach the top of their profession and make that kind of money, are NOT the kind of people who can turn that off and walk away once they have some cash in the bank.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I think with a new Prez and AD, the expectations will change quickly. I still don’t see him coaching after this season. Jmho

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
If only Brad Smith would hire him... while I know Brad Smith is wealthy, I do not think he has that level of f'you money to bankroll it himself.

If only Brad Smith would hire him... while I know Brad Smith is wealthy, I do not think he has that level of f'you money to bankroll it himself.
A. Jay Wright is not coming to Marshall lol.
B. Brad Smith does have that kind of money. He owns over 350,000 shares of intuit stock, and was making about $14,000,000 a year in pay as executive chairman of Intuit.

B. Brad Smith does have that kind of money. He owns over 350,000 shares of intuit stock, and was making about $14,000,000 a year in pay as executive chairman of Intuit.
A mere "pauper" compared to the inner circle of Putin's oligarchs!!! Oh, wait . . . . ! o_O

The type of people who have the kind of work ethic and drive needed to reach the top of their profession and make that kind of money, are NOT the kind of people who can turn that off and walk away once they have some cash in the bank.
Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Ash Barty, Sandy Koufax, Bjorn Borg, and Bobby Orr are among those that say “hi”.

I also seem to think there is a mid-sized university somewhere in WV where the new president was making like $14M/year running some computer thing but retired to run the college.

Reactions: RhinoD
how do you not know how much he's given to marshall and WVU? which should tell you a bit about his wealth. he does have that kind of cash and he has been very generous with it. not sure how much he's expected to give away. especially when most of us don't want to donate $50 a year to the BG.

how do you not know how much he's given to marshall and WVU? which should tell you a bit about his wealth. he does have that kind of cash and he has been very generous with it. not sure how much he's expected to give away. especially when most of us don't want to donate $50 a year to the BG.
I think you need to re-read my post and the post I was replying to.

Honestly, this year is basically Dan finding his replacement and if he doesn't, Spears will.
Spears won't let Dan choose, that would be stupid - no one on the existing staff should even be considered. Spears likely has his eye on a few coaches already. jmo.

Spears won't let Dan choose, that would be stupid - no one on the existing staff should even be considered. Spears likely has his eye on a few coaches already. jmo.
Good grief why would any university allow an outgoing coach to pict the successor unless you are Duke. UNC, or some other hugely successful program. Spears probably already has a list of candidates for the Men’s basketball position if he is as good as we expect him to be.

This is a token effort, and DD is much more powerful than CS is. As such, it has already been announced that DD signed a one-year contract in order to work on a “series of contracts”. DD will be here, bumbling and yucking it up, for as long as he wants. After which one of DD’s staff, or some random guy, probably a retread, will follow and make a similar token effort.

They are not trying. They don’t care. Accepting DD was one of the compromises that CS made to get this job, but it clear that any hiring authority that would ask such a thing, and any job candidate that would agree to it, have one thing in common. They don’t care about basketball.

This is a token effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT