ADVERTISEMENT

Waggs holding his own again this year in baseball!

Beating a dead horse

Herd Fever......
is CORRECT. I too have "beaten that dead horse too many times"......."Ain't going to happen." The first time I met Dr. Kopp was because of my efforts to attempt to get a baseball field constructed near campus. Dr Kopp to me...."Sweeney, show me the land & we will talk."

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

when/if we get a baseball stadium, it will be built by the city or someone else. We will simple be a tenant

And that is exactly as it should be. Imagine a Huntington w/o Marshall and the USACOE. Neither are a "given" to be here. There is plenty of realistic alternate history ideas where neither end up as there are today. Without its two largest employers, we are talking Wheeling/Weirton/Youngstown/Ambridge level dispair.

Yet, the old guard in town sits about and says "Well, Marshall should... it would help the town." It is way past time to ask what Marshall can do for you and ask what you can do for Marshall.

The city/county/local businessmen should build MU a ballpark and lease it to us for $1.

I mean come on, Shepherd has a small but nice baseball field with seats and a press box.

Holding his own against whom?

WVU beat Marshall 14-7 last night in Morgantown with the help of a 16-hit barrage and five Marshall errors.

Despite the win, WVU's RPI dropped to No. 11 while Marshall's RPI improved to No. 126.

The Herd will attempt to rebound vs No. 122 Virginia Tech tonight in Charleston.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live

WVU beat Marshall 14-7 last night in Morgantown with the help of a 16-hit barrage and five Marshall errors.

Despite the win, WVU's RPI dropped to No. 11 while Marshall's RPI improved to No. 126.

The Herd will attempt to rebound vs No. 122 Virginia Tech tonight in Charleston.

The team got off to a rough start (1-5) but is 11-9 since then. Nothing to brag about but anything around the .500 mark is pretty decent for our baseball program.

By the way, what in the world has happened to Rice? My god.

Reactions: jocktalker
The team got off to a rough start (1-5) but is 11-9 since then. Nothing to brag about but anything around the .500 mark is pretty decent for our baseball program.

By the way, what in the world has happened to Rice? My god.
Did you see their Strength of Schedule? That's a tough nut to crack.

you do realize that C-USA is #6 as a conference? I know the Big 12 is #1. However don't come on here and act like C-USA is an easy conference in baseball.

So I guess the answer is not anytime soon.
Too much money to buy the land and build a facility that meets CUSA standards. The only way it would be worth it is if a minor league team moved to Huntington to play in the park and that isn't happening with a team already in Charleston. To be honest, it would be just a gigantic waste of money on a non-revenue sport when MU is already facing potential budget cuts.

Too much money to buy the land and build a facility that meets CUSA standards. The only way it would be worth it is if a minor league team moved to Huntington to play in the park and that isn't happening with a team already in Charleston. To be honest, it would be just a gigantic waste of money on a non-revenue sport when MU is already facing potential budget cuts.
The last I checked Western Kentucky had a field that was not off the hook

The last I checked Western Kentucky had a field that was not off the hook

they've put several million into in the last few years, they have 800 chairback seats, 1500 permanent seating, a 4,200 square foot clubhouse, a state of the art press box, etc. it's not miss state, but it's a nice college baseball stadium.

I believe the last minimum quote for a MU baseball facility was in the $8-10M range to half-ass it, and $15-20M to build a good facility. I'm not sure where that money would be found.

In one of our many baseball threads, somebody posted an actual link to the actual "CUSA standards" and really its is basic stuff. Standard field, press box w/ toilet, locker room for both teams w/ toilets (seperate from those used by the public), scoreboard, lights. Nothing in it about number of seats or anything like that. A crew from the WRJ could have the Y up to standards in a week or so. Obviously MH is shooting for something way beyond that and is not willing to spend any money at all on the Y.

IMHO, MH was promised an eventual baseball solution in return for not sqwaking about the WVU shady deal. Unfortunatly everybody else involved is now out-of-office or dead, and the state is flat broke.

In one of our many baseball threads, somebody posted an actual link to the actual "CUSA standards" and really its is basic stuff. Standard field, press box w/ toilet, locker room for both teams w/ toilets (seperate from those used by the public), scoreboard, lights. Nothing in it about number of seats or anything like that. A crew from the WRJ could have the Y up to standards in a week or so. Obviously MH is shooting for something way beyond that and is not willing to spend any money at all on the Y.

IMHO, MH was promised an eventual baseball solution in return for not sqwaking about the WVU shady deal. Unfortunatly everybody else involved is now out-of-office or dead, and the state is flat broke.

a) we don't own the land of the y field, so we'd be hesitant to spend money (if even permitted to do so)
b) those are suggested standards, the conference would have to still sign-off on our playing games there
c) it would be a horrible idea to spend a few million on that field and make that our homefield, it would kill for the foreseeable future any hope of a stadium close to campus

Believe the ultimate plan is to use the same financing mechanism, "TIF", I believe, that was used in Morgantown for the stadium there (actually just outside of town). I believe city of South Charleston is going to use same device to finance some major economic developments there. Believe City of Huntington, maybe including MU, would have to apply, via legislation, to be able to use this kind of financing device. MU leaders, like Hamrick, and Huntington leaders, like Mayor Williams, have said availability of enough usable land is the main hold up.

Just to wrap up, the Herd really did not "hold its own", finishing 25-28 overall and 12-17 in the league, good for 9th in the 12 team league. The top 8 make the conference tournament at Biloxi's AA baseball park. Southern Miss is nationally ranked. Games are on the internet, finals are on CBSSN.

Another thing frequently posted in our many baseball threads is that baseball is somehow "required" by the league. Yet North Texas and UTEP don't play it.

Just to wrap up, the Herd really did not "hold its own", finishing 25-28 overall and 12-17 in the league, good for 9th in the 12 team league. The top 8 make the conference tournament at Biloxi's AA baseball park. Southern Miss is nationally ranked. Games are on the internet, finals are on CBSSN.

Another thing frequently posted in our many baseball threads is that baseball is somehow "required" by the league. Yet North Texas and UTEP don't play it.

We really faded down the stretch. I believe we were 25-23 (and .500 in conference) before losing six in a row to La Tech and Charlotte.

The team returns quite a bit next year but there's a chance Tyler Ratliff could get drafted and leave school early.

Pitching, or lack of, really hurt us. Too many pitching injuries.

Exactly, don't know all the specifics especially re: injuries, but this has to be one of Wags' most ineffective pitching staffs in several seasons. Had no effective relief pitching for the most part; don't know exactly how many late inning leads the Herd staff couldn't hold.

Also, didn't help that one of our returning power hitters had a season wide power outage and didn't come close to his junior season's production.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT