ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting on Zilla

Remember Pullman, zilla is “related” to DD as he frequently points out. Don’t expect any criticism regarding DD or the team.

Reactions: The Real SamC
to come on and explain that everything is ok because DD was mad at their defensive effort after the game..

Pullman...if you are referring to the WKU
ass kicking...not a lot to say other than "the Herd got taken out behind the woodshed." Happy I did not drive to frigid Huntington for the game. It was reported Marshall had a little under 7,000 folks at The Cam for the Toppers game. This speaks volumes for what Dan, his staff & players are achieving to reconstruct HERD Hoops. It's not going to happen overnight since MU has not done much for over 30-years.

Some of you haters remind me of Liberal (far left) Democrats.....you want instant gratification with no plan or ideas in place.....TRY TAKING A KNEE.

Dan said post game...."This one is one me...we did not prepare hard enough this week with a lot of the guys having the flu bug and some nursing injuries." "We will get back at it Monday ("I'm taking Sunday off to be with family")....to right the ship." "WKU is a very talented team now that they have added some key players from last season." 'We are going to be OK.....however, it will hurt us losing Penava for a few weeks-----but the other guys will have to step it up in his absence."

No excuses or finger pointing by Dan. Just like all of us, Dan & his staff wants the HERD to return to the good days of 1965---'72...during his era when basketball was the prime sport at Marshall. If any of you think he & his staff are not competing/recruiting for top national players---I have some beach front property in Wayne Co to sell you. It's a hard sell because of 30-years futility---plus Dan will NEVER compromise telling parents that he promises their sons will earn a degree to positively impact their lives after hoops....they will be treated with respect.....they will not get into trouble.....they will be involved on & off campus serving others. That's what Moms & Dads want to hear!

I said from the beginning Dan was the right hire (brother) for Marshall when many hoped (dreamed) for Mike D to ride into town to save the day. Never was going to happen. Mike is a gifted NBA Coach and his best qualities is suited for pro players. Dan identifies well with guys 18-22 and he is well respected by his squad.

I hope to live a few more years to say...."I TOLD YOU SO!"

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Pullman...if you are referring to the WKU ass kicking...not a lot to say other than "the Herd got taken out behind the woodshed." Happy I did not drive to frigid Huntington for the game. It was reported Marshall had a little under 7,000 folks at The Cam for the Toppers game. This speaks volumes for what Dan, his staff & players are achieving to reconstruct HERD Hoops. It's not going to happen overnight since MU has not done much for over 30-years.

Some of you haters remind me of Liberal (far left) Democrats.....you want instant gratification with no plan or ideas in place.....TRY TAKING A KNEE.

Dan said post game...."This one is one me...we did not prepare hard enough this week with a lot of the guys having the flu bug and some nursing injuries." "We will get back at it Monday ("I'm taking Sunday off to be with family")....to right the ship." "WKU is a very talented team now that they have added some key players from last season." 'We are going to be OK.....however, it will hurt us losing Penava for a few weeks-----but the other guys will have to step it up in his absence."

No excuses or finger pointing by Dan. Just like all of us, Dan & his staff wants the HERD to return to the good days of 1965---'72...during his era when basketball was the prime sport at Marshall. If any of you think he & his staff are not competing/recruiting for top national players---I have some beach front property in Wayne Co to sell you. It's a hard sell because of 30-years futility---plus Dan will NEVER compromise telling parents that he promises their sons will earn a degree to positively impact their lives after hoops....they will be treated with respect.....they will not get into trouble.....they will be involved on & off campus serving others. That's what Moms & Dads want to hear!

I said from the beginning Dan was the right hire (brother) for Marshall when many hoped (dreamed) for Mike D to ride into town to save the day. Never was going to happen. Mike is a gifted NBA Coach and his best qualities is suited for pro players. Dan identifies well with guys 18-22 and he is well respected by his squad.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte
A nice, coherent post!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm sure that '65-'72 were a lot of fun... as were 83'-88'. The reality is, the coach does matter and we have about as good as we're gonna get with Danny. I dont care whether we have a legendary alumnus or the Easter Bunny coaching, it's time to win in basketball at Marshall University in a meaningful way. Everyone expected Bennett to be eligible this year and the NCAA did to Marshall what it always does to Marshall by ruling him ineligible. With him, this would no doubt be an NIT team at worst... next year, with a legit front line and a legit back court we have the best shot at being an NCAA Tourney team since Billy D's team back in 95-96 (Veney, JWill, Coles, Brown, Brannen, etc.).

Part of winning is having a functional athletic department and from what I see, read, and hear, our administrative team has repeatedly dropped the ball over the past 30 years with bad hires, broken promises to coaches, and lack of resources (let's stop kidding ourselves about the "recruit WV" crap that Danny espouses - that's smoke and mirrors for our budget doesnt allow us to recruit outside of the tri-state area).

With Penava out for a few weeks (or longer), we're clearly going to have a tough road ahead of us. I dont care what the schedule is... be above .500 and maybe consider getting involved in a "pay to play" tournament as a stepping stone. Not playing in these is even more cover for the lack of commitment of resources. When was the last time that we won a championship of any kind... conference regular season, holiday tournament, or post-season tournament. If we want to be a championship-caliber program, start by competing and winning at every opportunity.

Thats it for me... thats my "drop the mic" for the week and its only Monday!

I'm sure that '65-'72 were a lot of fun... as were 83'-88'. The reality is, the coach does matter and we have about as good as we're gonna get with Danny. I dont care whether we have a legendary alumnus or the Easter Bunny coaching, it's time to win in basketball at Marshall University in a meaningful way. Everyone expected Bennett to be eligible this year and the NCAA did to Marshall what it always does to Marshall by ruling him ineligible. With him, this would no doubt be an NIT team at worst... next year, with a legit front line and a legit back court we have the best shot at being an NCAA Tourney team since Billy D's team back in 95-96 (Veney, JWill, Coles, Brown, Brannen, etc.).

Part of winning is having a functional athletic department and from what I see, read, and hear, our administrative team has repeatedly dropped the ball over the past 30 years with bad hires, broken promises to coaches, and lack of resources (let's stop kidding ourselves about the "recruit WV" crap that Danny espouses - that's smoke and mirrors for our budget doesnt allow us to recruit outside of the tri-state area).

With Penava out for a few weeks (or longer), we're clearly going to have a tough road ahead of us. I dont care what the schedule is... be above .500 and maybe consider getting involved in a "pay to play" tournament as a stepping stone. Not playing in these is even more cover for the lack of commitment of resources. When was the last time that we won a championship of any kind... conference regular season, holiday tournament, or post-season tournament. If we want to be a championship-caliber program, start by competing and winning at every opportunity.

Thats it for me... thats my "drop the mic" for the week and its only Monday!

I agree- I’m pretty sure this isn’t Dan’s first or 2nd year.. he actually has had time to build and yet we just lost to Western Phukkn Kentucky by 25 points. That’s embarrassing.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I agree- I’m pretty sure this isn’t Dan’s first or 2nd year.. he actually has had time to build and yet we just lost to Western Phukkn Kentucky by 25 points. That’s embarrassing.

I feel like the emphasis should be on 25 points, not WKU. They’re pretty damn good and ranked just outside the RPI top 50. They beat Purdue and got robbed against Wisconsin.

Western Ky’s basketball history is significantly better than Marshall’s.
I agree with you that 25 was a bad bad loss, don’t believe I can remember a game where a team made 18 3’s and lost by that big of a margin.

Relax yourself dude... just for the record, those "glory days" teams lost plenty of games. Just take a look at the win-lose records for that 65-72 stretch:

65-66: 12-12
66-67: 20-8
67-68: 17-8 (including a 109-93 thumping by powerhouse Loyola, IL)
68-69: 9-15 (definitely memorable there!)
69-70: 9-14 (check this... 120-75 loss to Duquense)
70-71: 16-10
71-72: 23-4 (undoubtedly the best Marshall team of that era)
72-73: 20-7
73-74: 17-9

We sometimes act like the team from 71-72 played for the entire decade between '65 and '75... reality is we were 143-87 for a .622 winning percentage. Thats really good - but the Huck-era was actually better (.686). We lost by 25 points without our ONLY low post player... I know, I know, it was 10-1 when he got hurt, but without him on the floor we run into a place where almost nothing CAN work defensively.

Relax yourself dude... just for the record, those "glory days" teams lost plenty of games. Just take a look at the win-lose records for that 65-72 stretch:

We sometimes act like the team from 71-72 played for the entire decade between '65 and '75... reality is we were 143-87 for a .622 winning percentage. Thats really good - but the Huck-era was actually better (.686). We lost by 25 points without our ONLY low post player... I know, I know, it was 10-1 when he got hurt, but without him on the floor we run into a place where almost nothing CAN work defensively.

65-66 This was the Sophomore year for the Iron Five at that time Orville Stepp was the usual starter at point guard. The team showed signs of things to come.
66-67 Dan D’Antoni won the job from Stepp and the overall play quickly improved. This team and the next year could never surpass those great Toledo teams with Mix, Brisker, and Babione. This team achieved all the post season success Marshall has experienced in Div 1 and it happened in 48 hours at MSG in the first and second rounds.
67-68 Similar season but a first round exit from the NIT when Elnardo Webster dropped 51 and broke Stone’s one year old record of 46 versus Nebraska. By the way Loyola was very good in the 60’s upsetting Cincinnati in the ‘63 title game to deny UC a three peat.
68-69 The talent was gone except Dan and it was a struggle. The freshman team was terrific featuring Russell Lee.
69-70 Much the same, Lee was really good but no consistency. Duquesne had a good team, Jarrett Durham was their star and I believe this was Lee’s first or second varsity game.
70-71 Mike D and Ty Collins joined the varsity to compliment Lee and the turnaround started.
72-72 Randy Noll and Bill James joined the starting five and it was a fun season to be a Herd fan.
72-73 Everybody back except Lee but that was a huge hole to fill plus Tacy took the Wake job and Daniels came in
73-74 Daniels best coaching job as the talent was average and the schedule was fairly tough.

I feel like the emphasis should be on 25 points, not WKU. They’re pretty damn good and ranked just outside the RPI top 50. They beat Purdue and got robbed against Wisconsin.

Fair point- but at what point is losing by 25 to a decent team not acceptable? It’s basically saying it’s not a horrible loss so we should be content. I’m tired of that mindset

I’d be more relaxed if we EVER made a significant run at making the tournament or beating someone of relevance. Honestly who was our last decent win? And by decent I mean team that made the NCAA tourney in the same year (not including cusa champion)

The Cavaliers lost by 28 last night... guess they should pack it in, close the doors on the arena, trade LeBron to the Lakers, and quit playing basketball. I was on the bench for 95-59 drubbing by Wake Forest the year before (94-95) and it was terrible... Billy D still turned out to be a pretty darn good coach, that team happened to win the conference regular season that year, we WEREN'T missing our best big man that night, and the sun still rose in the East and set in the West the next day. Fact of the matter is good teams do get their butts kicked sometimes. The point of my post was that the "Glory Days" were all that glorious for as long of a period as they are sometimes glamorized to be. Lets not forget... we have NEVER won an NCAA Tournament Game in the history of our school.

It was reported Marshall had a little under 7,000 folks at The Cam for the Toppers game. This speaks volumes for what Dan, his staff & players are achieving to reconstruct HERD Hoops.

Soooooo, in the absence of actual results, lets take credit for drawing a 2/3rds full house on a Saturday night.

Dan said post game...."This one is one me...we did not prepare hard enough this week with a lot of the guys having the flu bug and some nursing injuries."

'We are going to be OK.....however, it will hurt us losing Penava for a few weeks-----but the other guys will have to step it up in his absence."

No excuses or finger pointing by Dan.

Except for the flu, injuries, and not being prepared.

Just like all of us, Dan & his staff wants the HERD to return to the good days of 1965---'72...during his era when basketball was the prime sport at Marshall.

My Aunt Sally WANTS to be very rich. Problem is, she has no clue how to become rich. Anybody that questions any coach in any sport's DESIRE to win is nuts, and no one here is doing so. We are questioning his ability.

If any of you think he & his staff are not competing/recruiting for top national players---I have some beach front property in Wayne Co to sell you.

The idea that Marshall competes for "top national players" or ever has is laughable. "Top national players" mostly go to, umm, top national programs.

The point is Marshall is not competing for one-bid league level players either. We are trying to out recruit Concord.

Sooooooooo, we are off the "next year is the year" meme and moving it down the road for a "few more years". So I guess we should all be watching southern West Virginia middle school games and dreaming of the day when those kids grow up to college age.

I’d be more relaxed if we EVER made a significant run at making the tournament or beating someone of relevance. Honestly who was our last decent win? And by decent I mean team that made the NCAA tourney in the same year (not including cusa champion)

Last win over a ranked opponent was 2010-11 when we beat WVU in Charleston 75-71... prior to that:

2005-06 vs WVU 58-52
1997-98 vs Wake Forest 73-66 in Henderson
1990-91 vs ETSU 107-103 (OT) in Henderson
1972-73 vs Oral Roberts 106-103
1971-72 vs St. Johns 110-107

Thats it guys... since 1970 we have beaten exactly 6 teams that were ranked according to Sports Reference website. Not sure if that was end of the year ranking or ranking at the time we played them. Again, our "mystique" of tradition has some "mistake" to it. Love The Herd... but the data doesnt lie!

1990-91 ETSU game! That was a sensational experience. They came in ranked 10th (I believe). At one point we stole the ball, and whoever did that is all by himself. He pulls up behind the 3pt line & nails one! Brought down the house. TO by ETSU...the kind of game you don't soon forget. I get that a lot on this board aren't happy with the state of the basketball program, I really do. If you are so dissatisfied, why not take a break.....from this board, from following the team? If as you say we are permanently dysfunctional, and the outcome of our season is predetermined before the 1st bounce of a ball in the summer - why bother watching/listening to it? I enjoy pulling for the HERD. It could be beer pong or badminton. If there's Kelly green on the shirt & the block "M" on the sleeve - I am in.

Go HERD !!! Beat the 49ers
WS

I'm definitely not "down" on our hoops program... complete opposite - I think we are turning the corner!

65-66 This was the Sophomore year for the Iron Five at that time Orville Stepp was the usual starter at point guard. The team showed signs of things to come.
66-67 Dan D’Antoni won the job from Stepp and the overall play quickly improved. This team and the next year could never surpass those great Toledo teams with Mix, Brisker, and Babione. This team achieved all the post season success Marshall has experienced in Div 1 and it happened in 48 hours at MSG in the first and second rounds.
67-68 Similar season but a first round exit from the NIT when Elnardo Webster dropped 51 and broke Stone’s one year old record of 46 versus Nebraska. By the way Loyola was very good in the 60’s upsetting Cincinnati in the ‘63 title game to deny UC a three peat.
68-69 The talent was gone except Dan and it was a struggle. The freshman team was terrific featuring Russell Lee.
69-70 Much the same, Lee was really good but no consistency. Duquesne had a good team, Jarrett Durham was their star and I believe this was Lee’s first or second varsity game.
70-71 Mike D and Ty Collins joined the varsity to compliment Lee and the turnaround started.
72-72 Randy Noll and Bill James joined the starting five and it was a fun season to be a Herd fan.
72-73 Everybody back except Lee but that was a huge hole to fill plus Tacy took the Wake job and Daniels came in
73-74 Daniels best coaching job as the talent was average and the schedule was fairly tough.

GreenDuke, the 66-67 team got to the NIT Semis in the Garden. Stone dropped his 46 on the Nebraska Corn Huskers in a 119-76 romp. In the semi game, we played the SIU Salukis with Walt Frazier, future NBA great, and lost. In the Herd's 4th tourney game, a consolation contest, we played Rutgers. Lost by several, but I believe the Scarlet Knights had guard named Lloyd who went off on us. I believe that he eclipsed Stone's scoring record set only a couple nights before. The Knights "other" guard: a guy by the name of Valvano . . . Jim Valvano!!

GreenDuke, the 66-67 team got to the NIT Semis in the Garden. Stone dropped his 46 on the Nebraska Corn Huskers in a 119-76 romp. In the semi game, we played the SIU Salukis with Walt Frazier, future NBA great, and lost. In the Herd's 4th tourney game, a consolation contest, we played Rutgers. Lost by several, but I believe the Scarlet Knights had guard named Lloyd who went off on us. I believe that he eclipsed Stone's scoring record set only a couple nights before. The Knights "other" guard: a guy by the name of Valvano . . . Jim Valvano!!

Bobby Lloyd was a first team AA for Rutgers, Valvano was his caddy and wingman. Lloyd was a little small for the pros but a terrific college player.
Stone’s 46 of course was netted years before the 3 Point goal. He would have scored 55-60 that night with the 3.

71-72 Randy Noll and Bill James joined the starting five and it was a fun season to be a Herd fan.
.....So, the NCAA gave us our due and extended an “ at large” invite to the party. But they made sure we wouldn’t have many fans @ the game by shipping us out to Las Cruces, NM. This (I believe) is the only other time we have played a game involving the Big 2 near Area 51! We played vs the Ragin Cajuns (nickname that would not stand the test of political correctness) of SW Loosiana & their star bomber Dwight “Bo” Lamar. We got into a really up tempo game, Bo went off for like 42 & we lost c112-96.

To SoCals point: since those magical 48 hours in the Big Apple, we have never won a NIT or NC2A game, period.

Reactions: GreenDuke
SoCal - the ‘71-‘72 game vs St Johns & their “Chairman of the Boards” (great nicknames back in the day!) ??? This was the inaugural Marshall Memorial Invitational tourney (MMI) that would go on to be played for 8 years or so. We had both won vs ??? to get to the finals. The game went into triple OT! I remember having to go to the restroom between 2nd & 3rd......went down the stairs to find NO ONE in the hallway! Glued to their seats. Great memories for a 12 y.o. kid in love w/Marshall basketball.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Bo Lamar played on one of the all time great high school teams at Columbus East. Two of his teammates were Nick Connor and Eddie Ratleff. State big school champs in ‘69.

SoCal - the ‘71-‘72 game vs St Johns & their “Chairman of the Boards” (great nicknames back in the day!) ??? This was the inaugural Marshall Memorial Invitational tourney (MMI) that would go on to be played for 8 years or so. We had both won vs ??? to get to the finals. The game went into triple OT! I remember having to go to the restroom between 2nd & 3rd......went down the stairs to find NO ONE in the hallway! Glued to their seats. Great memories for a 12 y.o. kid in love w/Marshall basketball.

Mel Davis was the star for SJ’s. The year they played in Htgn Lou Carnesecca was coaching in the NBA.

Bo Lamar played on one of the all time great high school teams at Columbus East. Two of his teammates were Nick Connor and Eddie Ratleff. State big school champs in ‘69.

Believe before he was ousted, around 1969, I think, MU head coach Ellis Johnson had been looking hard at a couple of those players in Columbus. Bo Lamar had a good game, but the Raging Cajuns had a 6'9" player who hurt the Herd the most in that tourney game; we had no one who could effectively defend against him and he also hurt us badly on the boards, IIRC!!

Believe before he was ousted, around 1969, I think, MU head coach Ellis Johnson had been looking hard at a couple of those players in Columbus. Bo Lamar had a good game, but the Raging Cajuns had a 6'9" player who hurt the Herd the most in that tourney game; we had no one who could effectively defend against him and he also hurt us badly on the boards, IIRC!!

Roy Ebron I believe.

You are correct oldeherd.....Dan guarded Valvano...became good friends too....

Zilla22

ADVERTISEMENT