ADVERTISEMENT

We Aren't Done With UAB

No sanctions. Very little issues with the authorities. Players are graduating. We are winning football games. We are making it to post season play. He has made it to three CUSA Championship Games. He has hired coaches that have went on to bigger schools. He hasnt made our program or school look stupid in the public eye.
tenor.gif

Doc told us the day he put on the kelly green sport coat that his number one goal was to "build us a program."

He also posted four rules that could get a player immediately removed from the team, chiefly among them being domestic battery. You know why Josh Ball was here? Because Florida State is within 500 yards of his ex girlfriend, and he can't be there anymore.

Of course, as you note in your post, we seem to have very few issues with the authorities these days, at least in terms of making the things that happen go away (welcome back Brandon!), and making sure the things that "don't happen" stay away.

Opacity is always a sign of a clean program! And the capitol of Nebraska is Omaha! And this pipe isn't leaking gas!

He also posted four rules that could get a player immediately removed from the team, chiefly among them being domestic battery. You know why Josh Ball was here? Because Florida State is within 500 yards of his ex girlfriend, and he can't be there anymore.

Of course, as you note in your post, we seem to have very few issues with the authorities these days, at least in terms of making the things that happen go away (welcome back Brandon!), and making sure the things that "don't happen" stay away.

Opacity is always a sign of a clean program! And the capitol of Nebraska is Omaha! And this pipe isn't leaking gas!
Doc also played a guy that had recently been arrested for distributing heroin.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Oh, I’m here. You just haven’t said anything worth responding to.

Do more.

There have been hundreds of other posts in that time that you also felt weren't worth responding to. Perhaps this board isn't for you? Have you tried out HerdFans or the Duke board, since that is your favorite college team?

Rifle, that is my pet peeve for sure. It typically doesnt cross my mind when the difference is two scores, but I do hate when coaches do not call those timeouts.

I have watched too many highlights in my 47 years on this planet to know that there is a chance something crazy could happen. There is no chance of it happening if you dont call the timeouts.

Yes, didnt like that, but I will admit, it didnt cross my mind this time.

As for everything else said about me, or my opinion in this thread. I thank you all. Clearly I have done a fantastic job of being true to what I believe in.

Doc Holliday has done an excellent job at Marshall. I have said it a thousand times. Doc told us the day he put on the kelly green sport coat that his number one goal was to "build us a program."

He has

No sanctions. Very little issues with the authorities. Players are graduating. We are winning football games. We are making it to post season play. He has made it to three CUSA Championship Games. He has hired coaches that have went on to bigger schools. He hasnt made our program or school look stupid in the public eye.

He loves it here. He loves YOUR program.

I can say it over and over and over again. But many of you have personal agendas against him, or others. And the rest of you just dont understand how sports work, and you never will.

I will continue to stick around and try to lead you in the right direction, but I highly doubt any of you will come around. The bulk of you guys waited all season long for a trip up. you got it, and BAM, back to posting.

Have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. and GO HERD!!!
Aaron Perkins says we've waited all season for a trip up. Yes we did. We knew it was coming. We just didn't know when.

I am generally careful about getting too negative in my comments about a player or coach who is still here at Marshall. Yes, I walked the edge with my views on Levi Brown and Isaiah Green, but believe me, I was definitely holding back. So, to still be diplomatic, and to not cross one of my own personal lines, I will just say this about one of Rifle's comments:

Effort on an X-Pt is a marker for me. I watch closely - especially the first one of the game when nothing is really on the line - to see what effort is given. And Rifle is correct: our effort was poor overall. But I don't attribute that lack of effort to the players...at least not entirely. I think effort on a probably meaningless X-Pt is a reflection of a head coach. What does he demand from his players? What does he accept from his players?

Like I said, it's a marker for me when watching a game. And so, without throwing too much shade on Doc while he is still here, I will just let it stand that I believe as @riflearm2 does...that the effort here reflects on the team. And for me, especially the head coach.

I am generally careful about getting too negative in my comments about a player or coach who is still here at Marshall. Yes, I walked the edge with my views on Levi Brown and Isaiah Green, but believe me, I was definitely holding back. So, to still be diplomatic, and to not cross one of my own personal lines, I will just say this about one of Rifle's comments:

Effort on an X-Pt is a marker for me. I watch closely - especially the first one of the game when nothing is really on the line - to see what effort is given. And Rifle is correct: our effort was poor overall. But I don't attribute that lack of effort to the players...at least not entirely. I think effort on a probably meaningless X-Pt is a reflection of a head coach. What does he demand from his players? What does he accept from his players?

Like I said, it's a marker for me when watching a game. And so, without throwing too much shade on Doc while he is still here, I will just let it stand that I believe as @riflearm2 does...that the effort here reflects on the team. And for me, especially the head coach.

I'll ask you because you seem very astute in your observations. Is it me or do Docs teams seem to get worse as the season progresses? Or, it is just the wear and tear of the season creeping up on the team the team and staff. If it's the latter, why doesn't this seem to happen to other teams. Maybe I am seeing something that's not there.

I'll ask you because you seem very astute in your observations. Is it me or do Docs teams seem to get worse as the season progresses? Or, it is just the wear and tear of the season creeping up on the team the team and staff. If it's the latter, why doesn't this seem to happen to other teams. Maybe I am seeing something that's not there.

I think it's the wear and tear that comes throughout the football season (look at the Steelers). This team came in on a mission the first 7 games and got the job done. But eventually injuries, multi-week layoffs, rifts between players, etc. caught up with them.

This is where I believe Doc probably fails the most. It's his job as a head coach to keep his players motivated at all costs. He should be the energy that the players flock to at any given moment, and despite whatever "adversity" (as he so often likes to mention) that transpires within the team, never let them forget the bigger picture.

Doc's attitude as a head coach reflects onto our players.

In all honesty we don’t know what’s said or done behind close doors when Coaches meet. Not Stowers, Mac, Coleman or anyone else close to the team. It’s their job to report and pass that information along to paying customers like us.

Rifle, that is my pet peeve for sure. It typically doesnt cross my mind when the difference is two scores, but I do hate when coaches do not call those timeouts.

I have watched too many highlights in my 47 years on this planet to know that there is a chance something crazy could happen. There is no chance of it happening if you dont call the timeouts.

Yes, didnt like that, but I will admit, it didnt cross my mind this time.

As for everything else said about me, or my opinion in this thread. I thank you all. Clearly I have done a fantastic job of being true to what I believe in.

Doc Holliday has done an excellent job at Marshall. I have said it a thousand times. Doc told us the day he put on the kelly green sport coat that his number one goal was to "build us a program."

He has

He loves it here. He loves YOUR program.

I can say it over and over and over again. But many of you have personal agendas against him, or others. And the rest of you just dont understand how sports work, and you never will.

I will continue to stick around and try to lead you in the right direction, but I highly doubt any of you will come around. The bulk of you guys waited all season long for a trip up. you got it, and BAM, back to posting.

Have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. and GO HERD!!!
Aaron, I’m on your side. How did this board go so rotten?? This is a college football program with a lot of history and it seems like a lot of posts are spewing hate. From the start I knew that Doc gets it. I don’t like to lose but it happens. I want you to defend our coaches and players from these attacks. I will watch this bowl game (can’t attend, was there last year) and will want another bowl trophy.

Aaron, I’m on your side. How did this board go so rotten?? This is a college football program with a lot of history and it seems like a lot of posts are spewing hate. From the start I knew that Doc gets it. I don’t like to lose but it happens. I want you to defend our coaches and players from these attacks. I will watch this bowl game (can’t attend, was there last year) and will want another bowl trophy.
I bet you're a hoot at the Christmas office party.

Not implying those are the only goals. Simply saying that those things are important, and are being maintained.

This has nothing to do with being an "insider who loves the staff," etc.

We need to all get together to build this program. And that starts with being proud of it. The list I gave are things to be genuinely proud of.
He's paid to coach and Win.

All those other things are not entirely his responsibility and it's hard to find a program that doesn't graduate players or keep guys out of trouble. The opposite also happens everywhere. So all of that is irrelevant.

Aaron Perkins surely must be aware that Holliday has one, ONE championship in the CUSA in 11 seasons. That's less than UAB in three years & tied with Lane Kiffin in 3 years. The 'we only lost 2 games' argument might hold water IF the CUSA = the AAC or even the SBC. This conference has been either the worst or second worst G5 conference for the past 5 or 6 seasons. Yet ONE championship in 11 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerdFan73
Aaron Perkins surely must be aware that Holliday has one, ONE championship in the CUSA in 11 seasons. That's less than UAB in three years & tied with Lane Kiffin in 3 years. The 'we only lost 2 games' argument might hold water IF the CUSA = the AAC or even the SBC. This conference has been either the worst or second worst G5 conference for the past 5 or 6 seasons. Yet ONE championship in 11 years.

Kiffin actually won 2/3 also

ADVERTISEMENT