ADVERTISEMENT

We need less preseason "hype" in FB and BB........

Herd-nificent

Gold Buffalo
Mar 13, 2007
....because we can never reach the expectations set forth.

(yes I know we need to sell season tickets but it hurts in the long run)

Reactions: herdinmichigan
....because we can never reach the expectations set forth.

(yes I know we need to sell season tickets but it hurts in the long run)
We need to counter-act the Hype stories with personal interest stories about the players, the program efforts and coaches, the opponents and the visions of hope. That would, IMHO, be more effective in building a fan base than hyping a win/loss, victories, quality of play, etc. As has often been said, we need to increase our fan base of folks who come to see the Herd play instead of our opponents. We had great support built on hope for years, we need to return to that. Support for the fun of support, rather than expectation. We hope to do well, expect to do well, but support the playing as much as the winning. That builds a fan base kids want to play for. The battle between fans and program will do well to die...

Last edited:
Winning is everything, and nothing else matters. I heard that somewhere once.
Is that really true?

We need to counter-act the Hype stories with personal interest stories about the players, the program efforts and coaches, the opponents and the visions of hope. That would, IMHO, be more effective in building a fan base than hyping a win/loss, victories, quality of play, etc. As has often been said, we need to increase our fan base of folks who come to see the Herd play instead of our opponents. We had great support built on hope for years, we need to return to that. Support for the fun of support, rather than expectation. We hope to do well, expect to do well, but support the playing as much as the winning. That builds a fan base kids want to play for. The battle between fans and program will do well to die...

I agree 100% on this. It's too bad our fanbase tends to not focus on the team itself and literally everything else around it. It sucks because you're missing out on some pretty cool stories. Just read Tyree Brady's going to be the first in his family to have a college degree and thanked the MU fanbase for investing their time into allowing him to become who he is currently.
But, nah, he dropped a pass at FIU and Doc needs to be fired and FIU is terrible as is the conference, and (inset lame excuse here).
Also, some need to quit being so damn condescending...are the program, Doc, and Hamrick, really conspiring to keep MU in mediocrity? Is a potential 9-4 season even mediocre to begin with? Is it great? No, but it sure as hell isn't mediocre either. People talk about 1 title in 9 years when several schools invest tens of millions and don't even win 4 games a season...how many P5 programs (even G5 ones too) would violate NCAA rules just to have our record this year?
I get it, people aren't happy with the program currently, but my God you don't have to take it out on the football players, who WANT to play each game, who have more pride than anyone else it seems, because even if they lose, they'll still play and want to play, unlike some MU fans, who literally quit if our opening drive doesn't result in a TD.

I'm tired of hearing that if we are not champions were are nothing. Enjoy the sport. Yes I would love to never lose a game but that is unrealistic.

There's a big difference in "never losing a game" and the ACTUAL expectations most unhappy reasonable people on this board have set.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Absolutely correct. These young men (football and basketball) fall for the hype and fail to reach expectations..

For two years, you have been bragging on Bennett. Some on here make out a grad transfer QB with a noodle arm into the next Chad Pennington.

For two years, you have been bragging on Bennett. Some on here make out a grad transfer QB with a noodle arm into the next Chad Pennington.
Bennett is going to be a very good player long term, but he still isn't back to full fitness after his injury and is still settling into the system. Thomson doesn't have a noodle arm either. He had plenty of zip on his passes and just struggled to throw the deep ball accurately.

I think Thomson's arm isn't strong enough to continually throw hard throws in a game and had trouble going through his progression.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT