ADVERTISEMENT

What is an acceptable first year record for Huff

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
We have a good number of returning starters back. So I am curious what is a good first year for you?

I am saying 9-3 regular season

Dear Coach,

This delusional fan base does NOT have your back. It expects to win every game, but does not consider that an accomplishment.

Best thing to do is not delete Nick's number from your phone, you may need to go home. Best case scenario is to parlay a couple of good years into a better job, where wins are appreciated and opponents are respected.

Dear Coach,

This delusional fan base does NOT have your back. It expects to win every game, but does not consider that an accomplishment.

Best thing to do is not delete Nick's number from your phone, you may need to go home. Best case scenario is to parlay a couple of good years into a better job, where wins are appreciated and opponents are respected.
Dear Coach,

Stop the fullback dive against Navy or we will never see the ball in that tilt and as a consequence will lose that game! Let's start the new era and season off with a solid win.

New HC, New staff and lost a ton of players I’d say a bowl berth his first year would be solid. By year 3 a conference title or time to look elsewhere

8-4 would be Ok. 9-3 and bowl win would be outstanding. As someone pointed out - not laying an egg or two and being consistent throughout the season would be good progress in my book. A few holes on D need filled, the O needs to step up and score points. If we can do that, we'll be in good shape. Going down to FAU will be the game that decides the East. jmo.

Thirteen in a row or I say we blow.
giphy.gif

con·no·ta·tion
/ˌkänəˈtāSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.
    "the word “discipline” has unhappy connotations of punishment and repression"

Similar:
    overtone

undertone

undercurrent

implication

hidden meaning

secondary meaning

nuance

flavor

feeling

aura

atmosphere

coloring

smack

hint

vein

echo

vibrations

association

intimation

suggestion

suspicion

insinuation

undermeaning

subcurrent
    • PHILOSOPHY
      the abstract meaning or intension of a term, which forms a principle determining which objects or concepts it applies to.

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
Why don’t we just give the new coach the chance to show us what he can do with what was left over to him and not have all these expectations. I’m just happy to see new blood and new ideas.

Haven't you been reading this forum for the last few years? If you had paid attention, you would have learned that:

- Marshall is supposed to win every game it plays, because, well, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

- Our conference mates are all no good. Because they are not Marshall, which is supposed to win every game, because, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

Haven't you been reading this forum for the last few years? If you had paid attention, you would have learned that:

- Marshall is supposed to win every game it plays, because, well, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

- Our conference mates are all no good. Because they are not Marshall, which is supposed to win every game, because, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

So basically, you’re whining about people talking about the football program the same way you talk about the basketball program.

Maybe Marshall sports just aren’t for you.

that sounds like a tad of an exaggeration. i believe most felt our program should compete for more championships. i.e. be in the championship game more often than twice every 11 years and possibl7 win more than one title every 11 years.

you act like that's crazy talk. it's been done before by MU in a lower rated mid major conference. i don't think anyone is expecting titles and title game participation like we had from 97-02 but more than we have now. Why does Sam want so much less and act like people are crazy to hope for success and championships again.

what a loser mentality.

Not at all, because I understand that CUSA is made up of committed programs all trying to be on the same level in football. Our conference mates are good, trying to be better, and all want to be on the same level, which is why they joined this geographical malpractice of a conference in the first place. They deserve respect, and beating them, any of them, is an accomplishment.

And that they drug along men's basketball, and everything else, along for the ride. Programs at vastly different levels. Including a third that don't try, and another third that lack the resources to try. Which is why we (and the other good programs) should beat all of them every time as a minimum requirement, and then settle among us the championship. I also understand that MU has a greater basketball fanbase and more commitment than any of the other programs, and, unlike all the other top basketball schools, does not live in the shadow of an in-state giant national program.

All FBS conferences and FCS conferences are football aligned but some are better at basketball than football. Cusa is a prime example. All the fb teams that went to bowl games last season were losers including MU. By the same token the Cusa tourney champ went to the NCAA's and won their first round game against a quality BIG team. BTW MU beat that CUSA Champ.

Dear Sam,
I have coached at Alabama. The Marshall fan base is a group of teddy bears as compared to Alabama where winning is more than expected. I will be fine. I am a professional coach and a grown ass man ready to win. I expect to win more than the fans. I will be fine. I have expectations and so should you.

Coach Huff

Not at all, because I understand that CUSA is made up of committed programs all trying to be on the same level in football. Our conference mates are good, trying to be better, and all want to be on the same level, which is why they joined this geographical malpractice of a conference in the first place. They deserve respect, and beating them, any of them, is an accomplishment.

And that they drug along men's basketball, and everything else, along for the ride. Programs at vastly different levels. Including a third that don't try, and another third that lack the resources to try. Which is why we (and the other good programs) should beat all of them every time as a minimum requirement, and then settle among us the championship. I also understand that MU has a greater basketball fanbase and more commitment than any of the other programs, and, unlike all the other top basketball schools, does not live in the shadow of an in-state giant national program.
Deflection.

What programs are really committed to getting better? Just curious.

What programs are really committed to getting better? Just curious.

Marshall
Old Dominion
UNC Charlotte
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
UT San Antonio
UT El Paso
Rice
Alabama - Birmingham

Otherwise, WHY ARE THEY HERE? This conference exists for one thing. 14 like minded programs trying to play football at this level. All deserving of respect, and defeating any is an accomplishment.

Marshall
Old Dominion
UNC Charlotte
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
UT San Antonio
UT El Paso
Rice
Alabama - Birmingham

Otherwise, WHY ARE THEY HERE? This conference exists for one thing. 14 like minded programs trying to play football at this level. All deserving of respect, and defeating any is an accomplishment.
Old dominion is so committed they canceled their season last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4_mu2 and 19MU88
Marshall
Old Dominion
UNC Charlotte
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
Southern Mississippi
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
UT San Antonio
UT El Paso
Rice
Alabama - Birmingham

Nah, ODU, UTEP, Rice, and FIU don't give 2 sh*ts about football. Poor records and terrible management of their AD's. None of those programs seem to have tried to improve their footprint with the brief exception of FIU when they hired Butch Davis which has proven to be a waste.

8-4 would be Ok. 9-3 and bowl win would be outstanding. As someone pointed out - not laying an egg or two and being consistent throughout the season would be good progress in my book. A few holes on D need filled, the O needs to step up and score points. If we can do that, we'll be in good shape. Going down to FAU will be the game that decides the East. jmo.
"Not laying an egg or two" translates to "not losing a game" IMO.

He'll win 8 games and bolt before the fans have a chance to be upset he bolted and forget hiring him was exactly what they'd settle for.

I would like to see us win at least one game. I don’t want the new coach to be totally discouraged his first season.

Doc left a full cupboard

Huff and his staff did a great job keeping that cupboard full when Doc was let go, he was able to retain the most important pieces of last years team

Huff hired an exciting staff

The fan base appears ready to step back up and stop being a bunch of entitled whiners

Who cares what the record is. Excitement is back, how bout you guys just enjoy it.

I just hope to see some exciting offensive football again. Go for the knockout again and quit being conservative trying to hold onto a 3 point lead. It's been a long time.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Nah, ODU, UTEP, Rice, and FIU don't give 2 sh*ts about football. Poor records and terrible management of their AD's. None of those programs seem to have tried to improve their footprint with the brief exception of FIU when they hired Butch Davis which has proven to be a waste.

Fine.

Then answer the question.

Otherwise, WHY ARE THEY HERE? This conference exists for one thing. 14 like minded programs trying to play football at this level.

This league EXISTS for football. 14 schools all trying to play and win at this level. If they did not care, they would be among the 100s of larger schools that still cower in I-AA or which do not have football at all. All members are valid, deserving of respect, and beating any is an accomplishment.

Superfandom, turned rotten and inward, has already consumed one staff. Get your heads on straight, and get behind our new staff. That starts with RESPECT for our opponents.

Fine.

Then answer the question.

Otherwise, WHY ARE THEY HERE? This conference exists for one thing. 14 like minded programs trying to play football at this level.

This league EXISTS for football. 14 schools all trying to play and win at this level. If they did not care, they would be among the 100s of larger schools that still cower in I-AA or which do not have football at all. All members are valid, deserving of respect, and beating any is an accomplishment.

Superfandom, turned rotten and inward, has already consumed one staff. Get your heads on straight, and get behind our new staff. That starts with RESPECT for our opponents.
Some are only in the league because of the markets where they reside. If Charlotte was located in Boone, they would not be in this conference. If UTSA was located in Odessa, they would not be in this conference. If FAU/FIU were located on the Emerald Coast, they would not be in this conference. If ODU was located in Roanoke, they would not be in this conference.

The smaller market programs (Marshall, WKU, UNT, La Tech, & MTSU) are the committed & consistent contenders. The large market programs are the pretenders. Keep regurgitating, though. It plays well with you.

That is among the silliest things you have ever said.

There are 1000s of "big market" schools that play football at lower levels, or not at all.

So, say, ODU somehow decided to play football because the Tidewater is a "big market", even though they really don't want to or really try at it. But the OTHER 15 or so public colleges in the area, many of them larger, more historic, and with greater community involvement, made the opposite decision.

That is beneath your ability. You can do better.

How about, "because ODU wants to play football at this level, and beating them is an accomplishment." ?

• Haha
Reactions: Sean Hammond
That is among the silliest things you have ever said.

There are 1000s of "big market" schools that play football at lower levels, or not at all.

So, say, ODU somehow decided to play football because the Tidewater is a "big market", even though they really don't want to or really try at it. But the OTHER 15 or so public colleges in the area, many of them larger, more historic, and with greater community involvement, made the opposite decision.

That is beneath your ability. You can do better.

How about, "because ODU wants to play football at this level, and beating them is an accomplishment." ?
It’s ok to admit the obvious. There’s not a single conference in America where all members are equally dedicated to compete in every sport. Vanderbilt isn’t dedicate to win in football like Alabama is. Clemson isn’t dedicated to win in basketball like UNC is. You’re a moron when you argue otherwise.

I declare Marshall shall be a scourge on the face of God's earth, and the stands of their opponents will flow with the tears of their supporters, as the skies echo with the thunderous lamentations of their grief-stricken women, but I'd probably be okay with 8-4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT