ADVERTISEMENT

What really sucks

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
We finally get two quality OOC home games this year and probably will not play either now. The odds of getting either of these back will be slim IMO.2023 will be okay with Va Tech and Navy at home
It seems that is is getting harder to schedule quality teams and especially P5 school at home

Keep the faith. Neither the MTW or AAC has officially said they were cancelling road OOC games.
Depending on what news outlet you are watching the Rate of Infection is actually slowing down in multiple States.
My only concern is when the Big10 announced it. Other conferences will be "Obligated" to do the same. Since, 2014 there has
ALWAYS been a Big-10 team in the playoff. Well if the power be think the Big-10 will be at a disadvantage not playing ooc games,
they may want to encourage other conferences to do the same regardless if it is really necessary.

Reactions: herd66
Keep the faith. Neither the MTW or AAC has officially said they were cancelling road OOC games.
Depending on what news outlet you are watching the Rate of Infection is actually slowing down in multiple States.
My only concern is when the Big10 announced it. Other conferences will be "Obligated" to do the same. Since, 2014 there has
ALWAYS been a Big-10 team in the playoff. Well if the power be think the Big-10 will be at a disadvantage not playing ooc games,
they may want to encourage other conferences to do the same regardless if it is really necessary.
I hope you are correct

As was mentioned in another thread... Getting another game with Pitt shouldn't be super difficult. MU and Pitt both have corresponding open dates on future schedules in 2024, 2025 and 2027.

Boise State is probably not happening... They dont have a single open non-conference date until 2027.

On a lower level, it’s decimating college football. I read yesterday that the Mountain East isn’t even beginning to practice until September 7. Several FCS and D2 and below individual schools and conferences have already cancelled this coming season. I’m with Coach Orgeron...the country needs football.

Last edited:
We may play but there probably won’t be fans. What good is it to get these games if we don’t get to see them?

Reactions: herd66
Come on johns with the dire prediction of one million new cases in two weeks do you even honestly think college football will be played period?

Come on johns with the dire prediction of one million new cases in two weeks do you even honestly think college football will be played period?

According to NPR,

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...king-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

Hot spot states like AZ two weeks ago is now in the green -% of new infections. Even WV which was fairly high two weeks ago is now slowing down.
California and Texas are now neutral with new cases. Things keep going down, CFB will be a real possibility. I honestly think the NCAA is watching MLB and NBA to see how they fare when they return in Aug.

Reactions: ohio herd
Isn't the NCAA committee headed by WVU AD Shane Lyons suppose to make some recommendation to the organization as a whole within a week or so, around the end of the month? Just heard that Pennsylvania officials have nixed the Toronto Blue Jays from playing their "home" games in the Pirates' stadium this season. New York State (Governor) has stated (or outright nixed) that there should be no college games at places like Univ. of Buffalo, Army, Syracuse, etc., this year.

Looks worse and worse with each passing day.

I don't mean this to be in any way a political statement... But even the President backtracked and said yesterday that COVID-19 "Is going to get worse before it gets better."

WVU had 19 players test positive in the last week.

NY, Conn, PA and other states where numbers have slowed are making visitors from out of state quarantine for 14 days.

If a decision has to be made by Aug. 1, and you assume it will be due to logistics, at the very minimum non-conference games will be cancelled. Probably the whole season.

here is another angle. In Ohio, Gov Dewine has now ordered the entire state to mask up.He has a travel advisory to multiple state that are above some arbitrary percent he has made up. if you go there he says one must self isolate (house arrest) for 10-14 days. So, say the Ohio State bucks play in one of those states the team is at the Red Roof Inn for 2 weeks. There is no end to this madness. If I were a Vegas bookie I would say unless we see a huge turn we are not going to play.... Sad day.

No matter what happens, fans won't be allowed - you can't say "no concerts" and then let 20,000 people go to a football game. No fans, no G5 football. They won't spend millions of dollars just to fulfill a TV contract that pays a small fraction of that.

The NFL has cancelled the preseason, which normally runs throughout the month of August... If a professional organization, with 32 teams and unlimited resources, isn't planning to play any games before Sept. 13, I would assume it's safe to bet that 128 colleges (with far less resources) wont be either.

On a lower level, it’s decimating college football. I read yesterday that the Mountain East isn’t even beginning to practice until September 7. Several FCS and D2 and below individual schools and conferences have already cancelled this coming season. I’m with Coach Orgeron...the country needs football.

Yep. Jannson's younger brother plays for Div III Berry College here in GA. Their Conference, SAA, decided last week to cancel the entire season. Berry has said that they may play some football games in the spring if any opposing schools would agree to a match up. It sucks because this is his senior season.

They won't spend millions of dollars just to fulfill a TV contract that pays a small fraction of that.

Are you kidding me?

5808ea84c52402c3008b5c93

NCAA Television rights over 827 million this year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/219608/ncaa-revenue-from-television-rights-agreement/

This is why they don't want to cancel the season. No people in the stands are better than No Football altogether. At least you
are making some of the 827 million.

No matter what happens, fans won't be allowed - you can't say "no concerts" and then let 20,000 people go to a football game. No fans, no G5 football. They won't spend millions of dollars just to fulfill a TV contract that pays a small fraction of that.

Tell that to pro wrestling, who convinced the FL governor to grant them "essential business" status. 2 major organizations have been ongoing with live events since the pandemic hit, and only 1 of them isn't littered with COVID-19 cases and overall horrendous handling of the live events. One is AEW and the other is WWE...guess which one is screwing it all up?

I'd love nothing more than for the NCAA to be granted the same "essential business" status, but I know they'll be reluctant to get it.
Why?
Because then they'll reveal what any idiot already knows but it'll be officially listed, that the NCAA IS only about money and not education...and if thats written, expect many lawsuits about that coming.

But what am I saying?
It doesn't matter, with entire AD's shutting down for extended periods of time because of positive COVID-19 tests, no program is going to be consistently healthy enough to even endure a full season.

I’ve looked forward to this years OOC for years... but then again, I looked forward to Louisville, NC State & Cincinnati for years too, only to leave in disgust in the 2nd half of all 3. Now our QB leaves and even if the next guy is a future star, he’ll be ill-equipped to beat these solid teams early. Add to that the fact that even if we play in an empty stadium, Marshall has no atmosphere and makes no gate or concessions.

Our program is full of as much uncertainty as the pandemic right now. I could certainly use some football, but even if they played a full season, I’m not sure the product will make us feel much better.

And we make less than one tenth of one percent of the $827M in TV money.

And we make less than one tenth of one percent of the $827M in TV money.

Bingo... We make $400,000 as part of CUSA's "media rights deal."... I can assure you that having a football season with no fans would cost well more than $400k.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sp...v-deal-will-appear-on-multiple-platforms.html

Most of that $827 million that johns chart represents goes to schools in P5 leagues, some of whom now have their own networks... For the smaller schools, like us, playing a season with no fans and thus no stadium revenue makes no sense.

Are you kidding me?

You misunderstood - I was speaking specifically about G5 schools, whose TV contracts do not generate the revenue to offset operating costs. P5 schools will do it, because they earn enough through their TV contracts ($30M - $40M per school) to justify spending the money to host home games, travel to conference road games, etc.

You misunderstood - I was speaking specifically about G5 schools, whose TV contracts do not generate the revenue to offset operating costs. P5 schools will do it, because they earn enough through their TV contracts ($30M - $40M per school) to justify spending the money to host home games, travel to conference road games, etc.

US college sports’ Mountain West Conference has announced new six-year media rights deals with commercial broadcaster CBS and pay-television network Fox Sports worth a combined US$270 million.

We are not in the Mountain West... We make $400k a year on football media rights. Again, that doesnt cover having a no fans season.

Several other C-USA teams are scheduled to play high-profile nonconference football games this fall. UTSA is set to open the season at LSU on Sept. 5 and will reportedly receive a $1.4 million payment. Southern Miss will receive $1.85 million to play at Auburn on Sept. 26, per reports.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/college...cle_532abe13-765c-5cda-85e1-40726f509932.html

This is why you play with fans or no fans. I know some of the "Locals" have the if we start with no fans in the seats ill take my toys and go home attitude. But there is more to lose if the season does not play.

"Dire!" That is part of the fear mongering.

But, you are correct. I doubt the season will be played. They could have worked a way out but, it is too late now.

This is why you play with fans or no fans. I know some of the "Locals" have the if we start with no fans in the seats ill take my toys and go home attitude. But there is more to lose if the season does not play.

Again... Theres not more to lose... Two schools having "money" games means absolutely nothing to the conference as a whole.

Here at MU (not the Big12, not the Mountain West, not UTSA or Southern Miss, or whatever nonsense example that has nothing to do with us or CUSA you want to come up with)... at Marshall... We do not have a money game this season. Our two "big" opponents are scheduled home games. No fans = No revenue from those games. We make $400,000 on media rights, that's all. A season costs more than that, so for us having a season with no fans would be going in the red financially.

The argument that we can some how make money this year playing our games on Facebook/Stadium/CBS College Sports in empty stadiums is incorrect. As it is for many G5 schools.

Isn't the NCAA committee headed by WVU AD Shane Lyons suppose to make some recommendation to the organization as a whole within a week or so, around the end of the month? Just heard that Pennsylvania officials have nixed the Toronto Blue Jays from playing their "home" games in the Pirates' stadium this season. New York State (Governor) has stated (or outright nixed) that there should be no college games at places like Univ. of Buffalo, Army, Syracuse, etc., this year.

Looks worse and worse with each passing day.
In fact the meeting is set for today (Friday)

Again... Theres not more to lose... Two schools having "money" games means absolutely nothing to the conference as a whole.

Here at MU (not the Big12, not the Mountain West, not UTSA or Southern Miss, or whatever nonsense example that has nothing to do with us or CUSA you want to come up with)... at Marshall... We do not have a money game this season. Our two "big" opponents are scheduled home games. No fans = No revenue from those games. We make $400,000 on media rights, that's all. A season costs more than that, so for us having a season with no fans would be going in the red financially.

The argument that we can some how make money this year playing our games on Facebook/Stadium/CBS College Sports in empty stadiums is incorrect. As it is for many G5 schools.
Correct. To play a season the cost of fielding a team along with travel is the same expense whether there are fans or not. Not playing at all for a CUSA team in the situation we are in with no money game would be FAR less expensive

Yep. Jannson's younger brother plays for Div III Berry College here in GA. Their Conference, SAA, decided last week to cancel the entire season. Berry has said that they may play some football games in the spring if any opposing schools would agree to a match up. It sucks because this is his senior season.
wow, that stinks.

Reactions: herdinatl
Several other C-USA teams are scheduled to play high-profile nonconference football games this fall. UTSA is set to open the season at LSU on Sept. 5 and will reportedly receive a $1.4 million payment. Southern Miss will receive $1.85 million to play at Auburn on Sept. 26, per reports.

The Big 10 and the PAC 12 have both announced the cancellation of their non-conference slate. The other P5 conferences are expected to make a final decision next week.

Those payouts are based on the host teams being able to earn a huge profit on the gate, but if fans aren't allowed in the stadium (currently the situation with pro sports), that gate doesn't exist, and there would be absolutely no reason for LSU to play UTSA.

You're acting like this is some kind of political debate, but it's not. Its just reality. G5 teams are not in control of their destiny in a normal year, much less so in 2020.

The Big 10 and the PAC 12 have both announced the cancellation of their non-conference slate. The other P5 conferences are expected to make a final decision next week.

Those payouts are based on the host teams being able to earn a huge profit on the gate, but if fans aren't allowed in the stadium (currently the situation with pro sports), that gate doesn't exist, and there would be absolutely no reason for LSU to play UTSA.

You're acting like this is some kind of political debate, but it's not. Its just reality. G5 teams are not in control of their destiny in a normal year, much less so in 2020.
this has already been covered on here. It isn't about politics it is about contracts. The courts may rule otherwise, but there is a clause in them that says the host school is on the hook.Maybe someone else can dig up the article from ESPN that was on here earlier

Reactions: johns1124

Another hill jack not listening to raw data. I just gave you the breakdown of media income, didn't I? You have seen what most G5's attendance looks like, I'm sure you have seen the Thurs night MAC games. Do you think with those dismal numbers that going to suffice a year of football?

You're acting like this is some kind of political debate, but it's not. Its just reality

I don't recall making anything political; Dipshit!

G5 teams are not in control of their destiny in a normal year, much less so in 2020.

First, semi-intelligent thing you have posted today; Dipshit!

In fact, most of the lost revenue is covered by insurance, in case of a lost game. Which brings to a whole other can of worms. These insurance companies are not going to be happy. They insure revenue thinking an occasional hurricane, something of that nature. A fully missed season is something you bet they didn't expect.

Another hill jack not listening to raw data. I just gave you the breakdown of media income, didn't I? You have seen what most G5's attendance looks like, I'm sure you have seen the Thurs night MAC games. Do you think with those dismal numbers that going to suffice a year of football?

First, this barely qualifies as a coherent thought... And the last collection of words isn't even close to being a sentence... So you might want to lay off the hilljack smack big guy.

Second, we have spent most of this thread trying to explain to you why the media revenue numbers you shared mean very little to Marshall or CUSA. The fact that you can't figure out that the $400,000 we make off our media rights deal will not cover the cost of having a football season with no fans/gameday revenue is mind-boggling.

I wish football everywhere would just get moved to the spring at this point for this season only at every level. My youngest son missed a lot of the season last year with groin problems, qualified 2nd in region 6 5A in the strength meet in SC and didn’t get to compete at states as it was cancelled due to corona. He’s cut back on strength training now and lost some strength, but has his 40 time down to 4.6 and is starting to add weight back...the season has already been shortened twice at this point in SC. Him, and kids like him need a full season of highlights. He lives literally minutes away from Myrtle and not one of his teammates or coaching staff has tested positive for corona. My oldest son has already lost a game against South Carolina at this point. If they start the year now, I’d at least like to see them have some sort of spring continuation backup plan.

Reactions: ohio herd
This is not political but there is currently a serious national debate going on right now as to whether we have a national shutdown to try and get back control of the virus. At the state level those that are getting hit hardest currently are talking about reversing some of their openings measures and some going on full lockdown. With that being said I just don’t see how there is any chance of football whether college or pro being played this fall.

Reactions: herdalicious
This is not political but there is currently a serious national debate going on right now as to whether we have a national shutdown to try and get back control of the virus. At the state level those that are getting hit hardest currently are talking about reversing some of their openings measures and some going on full lockdown. With that being said I just don’t see how there is any chance of football whether college or pro being played this fall.

My conspiracy theory:

Where I am (not Marshall) I swear the plan is to get the kids on campus, get that sweet sweet tuition money, then shut it down early semester and go remote. Pray for a vaccine to re open in January.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Not political statement. National shutdown is virtually impossible. It would require, constitutionally a national security threat and the lawyers and lawmakers would have a field day with it. Shutdown would have to come and the local and state level.

My opinion, football is going to be very hard to play and I don't see a live gate happening anytime soon.

My conspiracy theory:

Where I am (not Marshall) I swear the plan is to get the kids on campus, get that sweet sweet tuition money, then shut it down early semester and go remote. Pray for a vaccine to re open in January.
I don't disagree. The higher education system is a deck of cards ready to crumble.

Reactions: Herdmeister
I don't disagree. The higher education system is a deck of cards ready to crumble.
The university professors and high school teachers here are going out of their way to go online 100%. So here my wife and I both work in the Health Care field. I have been in the hospital every day. So it seems odd that we can stay safe being potentially exposed every day where sick people are brought and these chaps are afraid to stand up at the front of a room and give a lecture.I don't mean to be a jerk but everyone expects us to show up every day and we do it because we know this comes with the territory.

The university professors and high school teachers here are going out of their way to go online 100%. So here my wife and I both work in the Health Care field. I have been in the hospital every day. So it seems odd that we can stay safe being potentially exposed every day where sick people are brought and these chaps are afraid to stand up at the front of a room and give a lecture.I don't mean to be a jerk but everyone expects us to show up every day and we do it because we know this comes with the territory.

Your work is appreciated. But you can’t compare healthcare jobs with teachers in regards to safety from infection... health care facilities are set up for that, you are trained for it and you should have PPE. Schools are absolutely not set up for safe practices or distancing and teachers are absolutely not trained to deal with viral protection. I’m not saying all schools should be virtual... we need students back as soon as we safely can, and the toll this is taking on kids and parents is enormous. But the “we can work so why can’t you” is apples & oranges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT