ADVERTISEMENT

What to see at Marshall?

Nov 29, 2004
We are coming up from Mt. Pleasant, SC on Saturday and staying overnight. My son is participating in the elite camp on Sunday. He is a Dec grad and early enrollee. 6'2" 195 WR/S/DB/KR. 4.6/40 (Rivals laser and CSU camp) 4.29 pro shuttle; 31 Inch Vertical; 275 max bench; 185 – 16 reps; 100 meter 11.62; deadlift 365; squat 330; Clean 225. One of his coaches is former Marshall great, Rashad Jackson.

"Little" brother cant make it this trip, but will hope to go with the older one attends. He's a 2020 DE who played varsity last year as a freshmen in SC's largest 5A competition.

well definitely go up 20th st right next to the stadium, to the top of the hill (away from the stadium, south) go to Spring Hill Cemetery, take a right into the cemetery and then another right (there are signs) for the Marshall Memorial part of the cemetery. If you haven't, I would watch 'We are Marshall' before you come, you will get a lot of history of what is going on. Places to eat? Fat Patty's right next to the stadium (3rd ave) is a great burger joint with a Marshall flair. Take a stroll around the campus, maybe dinner at the Marshall Hall of Fame café, on third ave and 9th st. You will see Pullman Square, walk around there. Right over the hill is Harris river front park, you can walk there and see the river. All that should keep up occupied for a few hours!!

Reactions: DeHerd

No, not Joe. Joe is a QB playing WR.

Gerald played defense last year up in Myrtle Beach. He had a broken hand that had to have a club and it prevented him from catching. It did teach to play more physical as a WR.

We'll be uploading his film from the Byrnes Palmetto Showdown 7 on 7 soon. He had 19 TDs in 13 games making catches that opposing coaches were jokingly saying they never seen a HS kid do that. Our HS coach is Chad Grier formerly of Davidson Day. I'm sure you guys have heard of his son up there at the other school.

Last edited:
No, not Joe. Joe is a QB playing WR.

Gerald played defense last year up in Myrtle Beach. He had a broken had that had to have a club and it prevented him from catching. It did teach to play more physical as a WR.

We'll be uploading his film from the Byrnes Palmetto Showdown 7 on 7 soon. He had 19 TDs in 13 games making catches that opposing coaches were jokingly saying they never seen a HS kid do that. Our HS coach is Chad Grier formerly of Davidson Day. I'm sure you guys have heard of his son up there at the other school.

Small world, my sister in law is good friends with Chad Grier. They were in the same graduating class at Charlotte Latin HS. They still keep in touch.

Reactions: CockandBoom
I'm just gonna say this; that fella ain't slow.
Those chase down plays were impressive.

Thank you. Truth be told his team was losing 54-0 and 63-0 when he made those TD saving tackles versus Myrtle Beach. As the videos show, they kept going to to other side of the field away from him. He ended that game beaten and bloody but never gave up.

We posted some recent pics to the Herdnation twitter. He's gotten even bigger since last years film. In that film he was around 175. Hit touched 201 but is back down to 195.

We are coming up from Mt. Pleasant, SC on Saturday and staying overnight. My son is participating in the elite camp on Sunday. He is a Dec grad and early enrollee. 6'2" 195 WR/S/DB/KR. 4.6/40 (Rivals laser and CSU camp) 4.29 pro shuttle; 31 Inch Vertical; 275 max bench; 185 – 16 reps; 100 meter 11.62; deadlift 365; squat 330; Clean 225. One of his coaches is former Marshall great, Rashad Jackson.

"Little" brother cant make it this trip, but will hope to go with the older one attends. He's a 2020 DE who played varsity last year as a freshmen in SC's largest 5A competition.
Small world. Both of my boys just moved to SC with their mom and attended the CSU camp. My youngest is a freshman this coming school year and ran a 4.44 at both CSU and Clemson for the shuttle. Good luck this weekend!

If you're coming up from Mt. P, bring Tattooed Moose with you.

I heart duck. I lived in Mt. P for about 15 years before moving back a few years ago. I don't see how you can deal with the traffic now. It's insane.

It's now 87K (no. 4 in state), Charleston just passed Columbia at No.1 in state and North Charleston is No.3.

It's getting crowded. I'm kind of pushing him to get out and see something else for college. He liked App State - mountains, college town, etc.

Reactions: cottrell75
The documentary "Ashes to Glory" is a bit more accurate than "We Are Marshall' if you are actually interested in the school's history.

If you are looking for things to do when your son is at the camp, you can also go down the road to Milton, WV and visit the Blenko Glass Factory. They are an historic glass company that hand blows all of their materials. It's said that Jackie Kennedy put several of their pieces in the White House. Additionally, if you want to go antiquing you can head down to Central City (west 14th street) which is basically the cities' antiques district.

Fat Patties is good as other's have mentioned, but the Peddler and Backyard down at Pullman are also pretty awesome (arguably better).

If you are looking to not spend extra money while you are here, you can take a hike (or play disc golf) at Rotary Park or visit Ritter park which has a nice paved trail around it that continues on following Four Pole creek to the west.

A nice place for a walk in the morning is Ritter Park and sometimes on the weekends a guy with a cappaciuno truck parks in the front. Nice way to start a Marshall game day morning, or any morning.

WV Prime on 4th Ave great place for dinner.

Christ. He was told to go to Fat Patty's for a good burger and the cemetery for free time entertainment. Ugh. The only thing missing was directing him to view the newly created (post, abandon building tear down) empty lots I see, every time I visit my hometown.

Place is depressing to see.

In all fairness, also suggested were Ritter Park, Rotary Park, MU Campus, Pullman Square, Harris Riverfront Park, Blenko Glass.

Meals at Hall of Fame, Peddler, Backyard, Prime on 4th were all suggested but all you saw were Fat Patty's and the Cemetery.

The downtown area is fun and is the best it's been in 40 years.

Man that cant be good. Guy comes here asking about things to do and see while his son is at camp and then disappears.

It might have helped if y'all would have offered more than a cemetery and a 10 year old movie as reasons to visit Huntington. The plane crash happened nearly 47 years ago, before most of the parents of the recruits you are after were born. In fact, before most of the posters on this board were born. It was a tragedy for sure, but it's time to stop using that and the movie as recruiting tools.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Like this area has done over and over again... can not find a way to progress and it all started with the decision to not have the interstate pass through town because they didn't want an ugly town and now they created the most deadly section of i64 between 29th st and west end exit... so now we have no shopping or anything new besides Pullman..... oh well guess we will hang on to our movie and patty's and stop progressing

ADVERTISEMENT