ADVERTISEMENT

When will the fanbase

Bankerreturns

Silver Buffalo
Jul 14, 2017
just finally come to terms with the fact that Doc is trash as a head coach? The guy was 14-41 coming into this season against teams that finished with a winning record and has lost to the only two teams he's played this year that will likely finish over .500.

He's a bad head coach who's only saving grace is that Tommy Shuler convinced Cato to come here. If not for that fortunate occurrence we would have nothing to show for his nine years here.

I'm done with him, completely. I'll spend the next three home games tailgating and enjoying spending time with friends. Don't,think I'll step foot inside the stadium the rest of the year, the product on the field just isn't worth the walk.

I agree. I have tix to the FAU game but I don't want to sit in the stands and watch Kiffin outcoach Doc once again. I watched enough of the last few seasons and even during the Snyder era.

I'm not a basketball fan but even I'm asking how long it is before basketball season starts.

He is a product of where he came from and the coach that he was under as a player and as an assistant. Don "Gee Wiz" Nehlen

Doc was hired for ONE REASON only. To beat Bill Stewart on 9/10/10. Plan was going well until Tron fumbled at the 4 yard line.

Wow this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. We didn't hire our HC to win one game. I guess that's why Hamrick tried to hire Doc when he was at ECU.

I too believe Doc's time is most certainly over at Marshall, but this is just dumb. Go back to your home board.

He is a product of where he came from and the coach that he was under as a player and as an assistant. Don "Gee Wiz" Nehlen

Then why hire him? It seems like Marshall has made a couple hires in recent years that were more for the name than the ability to win. Herion was notorious at WVU so Herd hires him as a a coach- complete failure. Doc was an assistant at WVU so Herd hires him as a coach- failure. Who's next? Dana when we gets fired in two years for going 6-6 again without Will Grier?

How about go get a proven guy like Greg Shaino now

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Then why hire him? It seems like Marshall has made a couple hires in recent years that were more for the name than the ability to win. Herion was notorious at WVU so Herd hires him as a a coach- complete failure. Doc was an assistant at WVU so Herd hires him as a coach- failure. Who's next? Dana when we gets fired in two years for going 6-6 again without Will Grier?

How about go get a proven guy like Greg Shaino now
Tom Herrion never coached at WVU.

I know that but he was notorious for the quarter to the face incident...
So you’re insinuating we hired him because a WVU fan hit him in the face with a quarter?

Look man, I know who you are and that you’re a troll. It’s cool. I dont mind you posting here. Try not to be so obvious sometimes, though.

So you’re insinuating we hired him because a WVU fan hit him in the face with a quarter?

Look man, I know who you are and that you’re a troll. It’s cool. I dont mind you posting here. Try not to be so obvious sometimes, though.

No I am not insinuating that at all, I am saying I think there are better candidates out there and Marshall settles.

And I don't know what the hell you're talking about. But if you'd prefer I am not here that's fine. I can leave.

I just don't think Marshall will ever get back to where Marshall fans expect them to be unless they let a donor step in and pay props' first-year expenses under the table again.

There's a huge difference between taking 25 props a year and getting the best 25 props available in a given year, because you're the only one offering a free ride for that year.

People point to Boise State, but they're doing the same things we used to, they're just not self-reporting to the NCAA like we did.

I just don't think Marshall will ever get back to where Marshall fans expect them to be unless they let a donor step in and pay props' first-year expenses under the table again.

There's a huge difference between taking 25 props a year and getting the best 25 props available in a given year, because you're the only one offering a free ride for that year. Ask Boise about that.

Bullshit, the talent is here to perform better than we do.

I'm still pissed that we lost to an average-at-best MTSU team, but some of you guys need to step away from the keyboard for a day or two...

There's a huge difference between taking 25 props a year and getting the best 25 props available in a given year, because you're the only one offering a free ride for that year.

People point to Boise State, but they're doing the same things we used to, they're just not self-reporting to the NCAA like we did.
Yehh most of those props came from Florida and GA and Virginia to work at Chapman printing. That is completely why we won. C'mon folks. We won for a host of reasons. Two big reasons were we had damn good coaches, Donnan and Pruett.

I'm still pissed that we lost to an average-at-best MTSU team.
What if I were to tell you that MTSU beat a below average-at-best Herd team? Also, I think I recently read where MTSU's coach is better than the Herd's coach. I'm not sure where I read that, but I do know that I read it.

Also, I think I recently read where MTSU's coach is better than the Herd's coach. I'm not sure where I read that, but I do know that I read it.

Yeah, but that's not fair because Marshall has a lot more competition in the greater Huntington area than MTSU has in the greater Nashville area. If you happen to drive around one particular neighborhood in the Huntington area, you're sure to see a Virginia Tech flag and a wvu flag. In Murfreesboro and Nashville, there are no Titans flags, no Vandy flags, no UT flags, no Memphis flags, no WKU flags, no Alabama flags . . . every single ounce of fan support goes to MTSU. You can see that by looking at the attendance at Marshall games vs. MTSU games.

And Huntington has far more entertainment options than Murfreesboro/Nashville. Sure, Nashville may have one or two bars and one or two music venues that nobody ever plays at, but in Huntington, you can watch a Detroit gang banger slay some local high schoolers while watching a woman OD on heroin across the street all while an extravagant Cars & Coffee meet up is happening around the corner. And all of that is free!

Reactions: JCT1
Yeah, but that's not fair because Marshall has a lot more competition in the greater Huntington area than MTSU has in the greater Nashville area. If you happen to drive around one particular neighborhood in the Huntington area, you're sure to see a Virginia Tech flag and a wvu flag. In Murfreesboro and Nashville, there are no Titans flags, no Vandy flags, no UT flags, no Memphis flags, no WKU flags, no Alabama flags . . . every single ounce of fan support goes to MTSU. You can see that by looking at the attendance at Marshall games vs. MTSU games.

And Huntington has far more entertainment options than Murfreesboro/Nashville. Sure, Nashville may have one or two bars and one or two music venues that nobody ever plays at, but in Huntington, you can watch a Detroit gang banger slay some local high schoolers while watching a woman OD on heroin across the street all while an extravagant Cars & Coffee meet up is happening around the corner. And all of that is free!
Valid points as always ..the statement about the local high school kids was a little low even for my standards and I don’t really have any.

Reactions: herdalicious
I have to say that some of your alls attempts at smack are as bad

Yeah, but this insurance guy's are board-history bad. Then, if I don't respond to them, he makes another post referencing that his smack was so good that I couldn't even respond to it.

He made some long post a few days ago that had nothing to do with what I was discussing and didn't refute a single thing. He claimed it was a "flurry" of punches. Since it didn't refute a single thing I said, I ignored it, like I do most of his posts. But then he mentioned his "flurry" again that he thinks made me speechless.

And then you get the biggest moron on the board - 1988 - to follow up his post with a comment or a like, and they both end up liking each other's posts as some sort of assurance that only 99% of the board thinks they are morons instead of 100%.

Um, and no competition from OSU, UK, Cincinnati, OU, yes, Ohio U. is closer to Huntington than WKU is to Murfreesboro, you can look it up. OU is a bigger school than WKU, also.

Yeah, with greater Nashville having between 1.5 to 2 million people and the Charleston-Huntington metro areas having about a third of that, MU certainly has all the advantages over po ole little MTSU, y'all!

Ohio U. is closer to Huntington than WKU is to Murfreesboro, you can look it up.

Yes, I can, courtesy of Google Maps:

Driving from WKU to MTSU: 1:31
Driving from Huntington to Athens: 1:36

Um, and no competition from OSU, UK, Cincinnati, OU,

Sure, those schools hours away provide competition for the casual fan, but as I said, they are dwarfed by the competition that an NFL and SEC team provide just thirty minutes away. They are also dwarfed by the plethora of schools within the same distance to MTSU (that I have already named) including Tennessee, Alabama, Memphis, Atlanta Falcons, Georgia State, and many more.

Yeah, with greater Nashville having between 1.5 to 2 million people and the Charleston-Huntington metro areas having about a third of that, MU certainly has all the advantages over po ole little MTSU, y'all!

Overall, they definitely do. I just went over this in another thread, but areas with large populations simply do not support college athletics well. That is because most of those areas also have professional teams in the same sport which steal the majority of casual fans. We already went through and listed all of the FBS teams in or very close to major cities and showed how the overwhelming majority of them suffered from attendance compared to their peers in areas that don't have a professional sports team.

It's very simple - Nashville, even though far more populated, simply has a lot more entertainment options than Huntington. In terms of football, the casual fan is far more likely to support an NFL or SEC team than MTSU. Huntington has no other choice. The closest team is over 1.5 hours away and is an inferior program.

Yes, I can, courtesy of Google Maps:

Driving from WKU to MTSU: 1:31
Driving from Huntington to Athens: 1:36

Sure, those schools hours away provide competition for the casual fan, but as I said, they are dwarfed by the competition that an NFL and SEC team provide just thirty minutes away. They are also dwarfed by the plethora of schools within the same distance to MTSU (that I have already named) including Tennessee, Alabama, Memphis, Atlanta Falcons, Georgia State, and many more.

Overall, they definitely do. I just went over this in another thread, but areas with large populations simply do not support college athletics well. That is because most of those areas also have professional teams in the same sport which steal the majority of casual fans. We already went through and listed all of the FBS teams in or very close to major cities and showed how the overwhelming majority of them suffered from attendance compared to their peers in areas that don't have a professional sports team.

It's very simple - Nashville, even though far more populated, simply has a lot more entertainment options than Huntington. In terms of football, the casual fan is far more likely to support an NFL or SEC team than MTSU. Huntington has no other choice. The closest team is over 1.5 hours away and is an inferior program.
This is very true because I doubt you’ll see very many fans in said metro area plunk down say, $200 after tickets, food, and parking (not to mention alcohol) and then another $300 or so for a pro game the next day. They choose one or the other.

Yeah, but this insurance guy's are board-history bad. Then, if I don't respond to them, he makes another post referencing that his smack was so good that I couldn't even respond to it.

He made some long post a few days ago that had nothing to do with what I was discussing and didn't refute a single thing. He claimed it was a "flurry" of punches. Since it didn't refute a single thing I said, I ignored it, like I do most of his posts. But then he mentioned his "flurry" again that he thinks made me speechless.

And then you get the biggest moron on the board - 1988 - to follow up his post with a comment or a like, and they both end up liking each other's posts as some sort of assurance that only 99% of the board thinks they are morons instead of 100%.
Keep track! I love it.

just finally come to terms with the fact that Doc is trash as a head coach? The guy was 14-41 coming into this season against teams that finished with a winning record and has lost to the only two teams he's played this year that will likely finish over .500.

He's a bad head coach who's only saving grace is that Tommy Shuler convinced Cato to come here. If not for that fortunate occurrence we would have nothing to show for his nine years here.

I'm done with him, completely. I'll spend the next three home games tailgating and enjoying spending time with friends. Don't,think I'll step foot inside the stadium the rest of the year, the product on the field just isn't worth the walk.
Three things to add to this debate, first, everyone felt like running Bill Legg out of town was going to solve all the problems. Doc plays a huge role in the offense and the plays being called. Second, I felt there was no excuse for the 3-9 season in 2016. Doc had a real nice pattern of winning and then because of recruiting kids that never stayed in school it caused real moral problems with the fan base(and Doc knew better then to recruit a team full of high risk players from his time at other schools). Lastly, coaches in large part are graded on there QB recruitment, development, and production. You can have a great team full of talent but with no QB you have no team.

ADVERTISEMENT