ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are the Herd Fans?

The stadium has more seats than needed. You don’t build a church for Easter Sunday. Make the ticket harder to get. That’s the model for greater financial return. Look at the NFL, it could fill 100,000 seat stadiums…but the league has none.

Honestly I get the feeling a lot of the local Huntington area folks don’t go, obviously many do.

All I know is I’ve spent about half my life in Huntington and half in the Kanawha Valley. I know many from both areas but as I stroll the west lot it seems to me a disproportionate amount of Teays and Kanawha Valley folks compared to Huntington area, at least to what I expect. Now that’s not a good analysis but it seems to me that’s the way it is. Same thing if I study the bricks of names that participated in Vision campaign.

It’s easy, when MU has the 15 deal on end zone seats, those sections are always the fullest in the place.

But let’s keep it at 30-40 a head and in 10 years when only 10K are at the games, we’ll see the same posts about why we can’t get 30K in the place every Saturday.
How about we do the bring a can of food thing? Would that satisfy you

In all fairness to the

In all fairness it was chaotic at times. People start chanting we are... marshall then the dj starts up and pa guy saying something else and band starting up too was just like wtf is going on right now? Then when the board is saying to start a we are chant they announce to pay attention to the dj lol like what are we really supposed to be doing right now? At one point the crowd yelling really loud and they announced to listen to the dj he picked a song that hardly anyone got excited for and killed all of the loud cheering for the team. It was the first home game my wife has ever been to and she even said this crowd likes to sit down a lot. Not that we have to stand up all the time but i remember being a kid at the games and it seemed most were on their feet screaming and yelling throughout most of the game. Now it is stand for a big play and hurry to sit back down and just clap from your seat. Lol the game was entertaining and while we beat ourselves it did make the crowd come alive and you could feel the excitement when we were marching down the field with under a minute to go. If we can get a few things cleaned up where the sound is more organized and in sync with one another if could improve the experience a bit but i doubt that is what is keeping anyone out of the stadium by any means. Just seems like we are stuck with a half full stadium for whatever reason
Something that can help is having a special guest of some kind, lead the chant on the microphone on the field. Doesn't have to be some superstar, just someone getting recognized for good they've done.
It's the same reason the Thunderclap is always off and out of sync.
That DJ would actually be beneficial if he were to be on the scoreboard and could lead some things to improve the gameday atmosphere.

I recall St Mary's, Cabell Huntington, Ashland Oil, all used to buy up huge blocks of tickets and give them to employees. Usually that meant a companion had to buy a ticket.

Same with midget league football. They used to give end zone tickets to the leagues, that meant mom and dad, or one parent would buy a ticket.

We used to have a huge band day - that's diminished considerably.

All end zone seats should be $15 each and every game; or 4 for $40.

I do think COVID is keeping many away. Students don't attend well, only a small portion. Most leave at halftime.

It is what it is.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Cheap tickets do not generate income. The cost to produce and distribute the ticket consumes the profit margin. Save the fixed cost and just let people in free to certain sections. Sorry, but you can’t pay the bills on reduced ticket prices.

Cheap tickets do not generate income. The cost to produce and distribute the ticket consumes the profit margin. Save the fixed cost and just let people in free to certain sections. Sorry, but you can’t pay the bills on reduced ticket prices.
So an empty seat is more profitable than a $15 ticket? Which is mostly done through the Internet. The need to print tickets is diminishing each year. Not to mention the $2 convenience fee applied to each online ticket .
Obviously there are costs involved but I fail to see the value of an empty seat.

The income from fewer ticket sales is being replaced by high prices at the concession stands. $4 for a bottle of water that might cost 75 cents wholesale. $6 for a "souvenir" cup of Pepsi that may cost $1.

1. Too many Ads- not everything has to have Dutch Miller, Go Mart, Or one of the hospitals. Halftime was 15 minutes of commercials, and 5 minutes of our awful band. Also there is a very disjointed way in which music is played between stadium noise and band, the only crowd cheer is "we are marshall" and there's no one leading any type of other cheers or organized music that would give you the feeling of being involved.
  2. The concourses are way too small. Even with 24,000 fans they were jam packed on Saturday. I had to wait for 15-20 minutes to get a drink when I first came into the stadium. Honestly if there was more room we would have even bigger problems. People don't want to come to a game and then not be able to walk to their seat.
  3. The bathrooms are disgusting.
  4. Too many people don't return after halftime, this has been mentioned constantly but re-entry really shouldn't be an option.
  5. Overall game presentation could be better.
  6. The DJ was a good idea, but they screwed it up. Its not a student its a middle aged man, and the students (at least from my vantage point) seemed like they could not care less about it.
  7. Lastly, Its just going to take time for fans to come back. We had a lot of years of Doc and his overly conservative style that was honestly boring. I loved that at the end of the second quarter Huff decided to take one shot down the field to see if we could get in field goal range before halftime. Those are things Doc never did. Those are things that, if we fix the other issues with our atmosphere, I think keep people engaged and in the games.

The DJ thing needs to be $hit canned. If you drive into the West lot everyone in your car, truck etc needs to produce a ticket. If you can't produce a ticket you can't stay. Institute a NO Return policy.

It’s interesting to hear so many people on multiple boards mention the $30 cheapest ticket as a reason for the disappointing crowds; This is the paradox of Herd fans… How many also complain about not being in the AAC, and never competing for the access bowl? To compete in the AAC we’d need to seriously increase giving & probably raise ticket prices even higher. Would fans really support that? (And if we ever get that Peach Bowl bid, game tickets are $135-250!) Can we afford to be D1 and also be as relevant as we’d like if so many fans feel this way? Do we even know what the new normal will be for fan support after Covid finally goes away? Lots more questions than answers right now. But someone needs to unify this fan base ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
But someone needs to unify this fan base ASAP.
This fan base is so fractured that I really don’t know how to do that.

The obvious answer would be winning. But, we haven’t been losing. The issue is not wins and losses. It is the fundamental lack of respect for the league. And please do not tell me the attitude in the SBC would be a lot different, as most SBC members were I-AA 8 years ago. Yeah, THIS YEAR, somebody is ranked. And? See me in a couple years when the ‘little engine that could” story has shifted again, as it always does.

Which brings us to the AAC. The supposed solution. But, typical Huntington, another, probably overlapped, crew wants to piss and moan about how much every thing costs, and expects “them” to pay the freight.

Then we have people that want to see “Power 5” teams come to town. Really? There have been 7 all time.

Kansas State in 05, which was signed when Kansas State was barely relevant. WVU in 07 and 10, which is politics. Virginia Tech in 11, good job by the AD. Purdue in 15, which Purdue is a pretty hapless Big 10 field filler. Louisville in 16, which was signed when Louisville was in the mid-major Big East conference. And NC State in 18, again good job AD.

Regular P5 appearances are NOT happening. And, pretty much playing a P5 cuts the chance of getting the ONE access bowl slot by 99%.

Then you have the “get off my lawn” crowd that get upset that OTHER PEOPLE are on cell phones or are mad about the band or the cheerleaders, or what not.

Best way to come together?

Understand that THIS is Marshall football. Playing who it plays, where it plays, with the stadium it has and the TV packages it has.

Get with the program.

Or move on.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
Two back to back home games and we have a little over 24,000 for each game! Are we so disappointed that we hired a new coach and going to hire a new AD that many have decided not to attend? The weather for both games should not be a factor as both were played in great weather. I hope this is not going to be an indication of poor support moving forward. Losses no matter how they come about are always disappointing to us as fans but without us would we even have a team? And yesterday we should have sold out the Joan to honor the 1971 Marshall team and coaches who kept our football program alive. Just saying I am disappointed with the turn out so far and we have more home games to play. I must conclude that some of our fans have more important things to do on home game Saturday’s. This just my observations. No need to be rude in any responses as I am only questioning our lack of support at a time when we can come back and watch. Covid obviously is still a great concern to many.
We will never sell out the Joan until we play a quality team that travels well and brings their own fans and that’s a fact!!!

I've been informed our fans are customers and we all know that the customer is always right. If they choose to stay on the lot so be it. If they choose not to buy a ticket and stay on the lot so be it. Please don't criticize our customers.

The fans are customers. It is simple: if we want people in the stadium the product has to be worth it. We've got a base of fans that show up. To casual fans, we haven't given them a reason to care in a long time. And there isn't enough space to talk about the incompetent marketing at MU and specifically in the AD.

It’s easy, when MU has the 15 deal on end zone seats, those sections are always the fullest in the place.

But let’s keep it at 30-40 a head and in 10 years when only 10K are at the games, we’ll see the same posts about why we can’t get 30K in the place every Saturday.
Last 10 rows on the away side and non chair backs should be $15

ADVERTISEMENT